Doctor Who

Blink

Aired Saturday 8:00 PM Jun 09, 2007 on BBC America

• Blink, the best Doctor Who episode.

Well it might just be me, but I think that this episode "Blink" is the best of any Doctor Who. It was not silly, or corny (which some have been) and don't scold me for saying that. I love all Doctor Who's, but this was grown up and sophisticated. It was very smart, well written, acted and directed. And may I add, SCARY ! I just loved this episode and it's a "must watch" episode from my "must watch episode list" It was different from any other "Doctor Who" episodes, yet it was still very much a "Doctor Who". I just loved it!!!
  • Best one ever

An amazing episode for the new Doctor Who. This is truly one of the best episodes ever written - and it doesn't have the doctor in it much! How ironic.
    Compare this with last years Love and Monsters - yeah totally different aren't they? This one has more fire, more drama and above all more characterisation. Speaking of the characters, the gorgeous and coragous Sally Sparrow is the heroine of the story. She stumbles across the Scooby-Doo house, and is plunged into a world of time and angel statues that can kill you. only cryptic messages from the lost timelord and the mysterious blue box can save her and her new lover Lawrence from trouble.
    I only wish that more episodes could of been like this. Perhaps the new new series will have something to offer.
  • A True Landmark in Writing!

By Far one of the best Hours of Television I have ever seen, Not just in the Dr. Who Universe, but anywhere.
    Truly a fine piece of writing and acting.
    Kudos 1,000 times Kudos.

I Do feel Bad for waiting this long into my life to start watching Dr. Who, but feel fortunate that among the first episodes I see, is this Gem.
    I Can not wait to share it with my friends and especially with my Son.

Do yourself a Favor and see this episode, even if you are not a fan of the Dr. Who Television series.
    its worth your time. and you wont regret it.
  • My eyeballs are so dry right now...

I loved this episode, I was literally on the edge of my seat the entire time, even when I wanted to cower back into the sofa when the Weeping Angels were coming at them I could not tear myself away.

I know a lot of people were worried because it was described as a Doctor-lite episode and many thought back to last year's Love and Monsters and shuddered. (For the record I quite liked that episode, I did not think it was anywhere near as bad as everyone else seemed to, it was light, silly fun...but that's not the point.) I cannot see why anyone would be disappointed in this episode, for although there was not as much of the dashing Mr. Tennant, the Doctor's presence definitely saturated the episode right from his initially cryptic message scrawled on the walls in the opening scene and his conversation on the DVDs was at first creepy and then quite amusing and his final instructions not to blink, (which was the preview for this episode) was practically chilling. My eyes were so wide as I tried not to blink along with Larry. I would have died. To have just been statues, the Weeping Angels were positively creepy throughout the first half of the episode when they were slowly moving about the house and rather scary as they made their way after Sally and Larry and we some them frozen in some distorted, crazed expressions, reaching out for them. The flickering light really added to an already tense atmosphere and when the TARDIS started fading out and we could see the Weeping Angels appearing my heart was racing.

Sally Sparrow was a fantastic character to centre the episode on, she was brave, quick thinking, intelligent, handled the situation remarkably well and I managed to become emotionally invested in her shockingly fast. I loved her reaction to receiving the letter from Kathy, the confusion, anger and finally that strange sort of acceptance were wonderfully done. Larry was good as the slightly geeky sidekick and helped add a bit of comic relief. I totally want a 'The angels have the blue box' t-shirt. I also liked Billy Shipton and the wonderful “Life is short and you’re hot.” It was sweet when Sally stayed with him as he was dying, despite having only met his younger self earlier that day.

The One Year Later part was a great ending to it, with Sally still focused on the events of the episode, I mean who wouldn’t be? The Doctor and Martha running down the street with weapons and rambling about four problems and a lizard was a nice, light bit of comedy and reminded us of the hecticness of the Doctor’s life, encountering people that he has never met before but that have met him. Then Sally once again proved her worth by figuring out that it was her who had gave the Doctor the information that saved her life and helped her save him. Oh crazy time travel!

The episode was fantastically written, Stephen Moffat is clearly a genius and as if the entire episode was not creepy enough, that last sequence of shots of various statues is sure to have kids all over the country staring out every statue they pass. I can only hope that the rest of the season is anywhere near as good as this episode and I’m oddly hopeful, if only because the brilliant Captain Jack is back next week. Hurrah!
  • One of the best Doctor Who story lines!

I really really love this story line which is a little weird considering it doesn't have a lot of the Doctor in it but The Weeping Angels are a brilliant monster because they aren't so alien they look fake and they are scary too. I was really quite scared which makes it ever more brilliant. At the beginning you are rather confused but as you go through the story you find that you start to really like the character of Sally Sparrow. She is independent and well lets face it if what happens to her happened to me i would be freaking out :) But this is probably one of my favorite story line and i advise all to watch. Pure Brilliant.
  • One of the scariest Doctor Who villians of all times and one of the most time-invovled plots of all times makes for a great Doctor Who episode.

Blink has to be among one of the best Doctor Who episodes ever! I just watched it recently on DVD and watched it again to catch all the subtle nuances I missed before like how old Billy knew when he would "exit" or rather how the doctor knew in order to tell him.

The intricate storyline invovling twists in time was brilliant! Despite the show being about a time traveler and time travel itself, very often very little is done with time. Usually the Doctor and co. arrive at some fixed point in some area and work things out from then and there going forward. It's nice to see time itself manipulated to solve a problem.

The resolution of the story was great for it's cleverness. It was ironic how the weeping angels in more ways than one engineered their own downfall by unknowingly allowing events to take place in the past that would influence the future/present. As for other shows' resolutions, I'll be honest that I have grown tired of the way sometimes the new Doctor Who solves difficult problems in seeminly a flash or deus ex machina. Fortunately all that was absent in this incredible episode. The Weeping Angels made for great scary monsters and the flickering lightbulb at the end....

I hope to see more episodes like this!
  • I really can't think of anything to say that will sum up just how amazing this episode is.

I know that I tend to give out 10s quite freely, but this episode totally deserves it. I think this is possibly my favourite episode so far. The preview of this episode just didn't do it justice - I thought it was going to be terrible. I'm always wary about episodes that don't have much of the Doctor in - that's what the show is all about after all, but like last years episode (Love and Monsters?) it really paid off and turned out to be one of the best episodes of the series.

The whole concept was just brilliant. The angel statues were really creepy without being over the top. It's really simplistic yet so effective. Modern horror films could take tips on how less is sometimes more. It's got all of the things that make DW so fantastic for adults and yet is essentially a kids show.

I loved the Doctor and Martha's bits. Really well done. The easter egg concept was so good. Really modern and something the doctor would totally do. I can't really explain exactly why I love this episode so much. It's one of those where you just love it without being able to say exactly why. But I do love it, and I think that it is the best episode of the entire 3 seasons. Well done to the writer!

So I'm going to stop rambling and just say - watch it! It's so worth it.
  • wow, just wow

This episode is another Doctor-lite episode, like Love and Monsters last year. The biggest difference between the two episodes is that Blink is actually good. No, scratch that, Blink was amazing.

There was no stupid monster and most importantly, no Peter Kay so that has already made Blink a better episode.

Blink was also a truly creepy episode. The weeping angels were absolutely terrifying. Yes, I know that I am a scardey cat and am afraid of anything even slightly scary but this is only the second time that I have ever been scared by a Doctor Who monster. The other was the Gas mask child from series one. It's probably not a coincidence that those episodes were writtien by the same man.

I liked the way the Doctor was taken out of the story and you didn't really feel like he was missing. The girl who played Sally (sorry I can't remember her name) was really good in the part. I liked her.

Can't wait for next week, Jack's back :)

ten out of ten
  • Blink

Blink was a perfect and very entertaining episode of Doctor Who. I really enjoyed watching because the story was intriguing and fun. There was some action, character development and plot progression. I liked the suspense of some of the scenes which had me on the edge of my seat. I liked how every thing played out and certainly look forward to watching what happens next!!!!!!!!!
  • Don't Blink. Blink and you're dead. Wow. Just Wow. As of the end of the 4th series, this is far and away the best episode of the revived Doctor Who. The base concept, plot, and manner of intertwining both is nothing less than incredibly ori

==================================================
    Don't Blink. Blink and you're *dead*. Don't turn your back. Don't look away. And **don't blink**.
    ==================================================
    I've been an SF fan for over 40 years. I never liked the old Doctor Who, because I've always prefered SF to Science Fantasy, which the Doctor generally was in the past. The revived series is still Science Fantasy, but it's a bit less cheezy than the old series was. Plus I've mellowed a bit in the last twenty since the original was on the air. The revived series is fun and amusing and the characters are well-written and, within the limitations of TV, very effectively done. It is mildly uneven, running from very very good to pretty good, but never is it disappointing.

Blink is an unusual episode as the Doctor has a comparatively small "on screen" part in it. The concept behind the story, though, and the manner of its telling, is as inventive and original as any SF ever placed on TV. It is proof that Steven Moffat, better known for the excellent comedy Coupling, but also for several of the better episodes of Doctor Who in the revived series, is literally a brilliant storyteller. With Blink, he breaks out of the "standard" story telling mode and tells a nonlinear story using a linear format, pretty much backwards from the usual way of doing that sort of thing. It does an amazingly remarkable job of keeping you engrossed, trying to figure out what is going on, and presents a "villain" -- a nemesis -- which is both utterly alien yet completely believable and, within the bounds of the story, even understandable. If you don't like this episode -- quite a bit -- Then I say that you, sir or madam, are dull and unimaginative. That's the only possible explanation I can conceive of.
  • 'The angels are coming for you but listen. Your life could depend on this. Don't blink. Don't even blink. Blink and you're dead. They are fast, faster than you could believe. Don't turn your back, don't look away and don't blink. Good luck'(Spoilers)

Atmospheric, cleverly written and in places a little scary, Steven Moffat’s Blink was a particularly superb episode… and the relatively minor presence of the Doctor was really not an issue. In an old rundown house, Sally Sparrow finds a message for her underneath the wallpaper from a stranger called ‘The Doctor’ warning her of the Weeping Angels. Sinister angel statues are in the garden and seem to be moving… Via a message on a DVD, the Doctor tells Sally the truth about the Weeping Angels. They’re dangerous, deadly… and they have the TARDIS, stranding the Doctor and Martha in 1969. It’s down to Sally to save the day. But there’s one thing she has to remember- don’t blink… Vastly superior to last season’s ‘Doctor-lite’ Love & Monsters, this was great.

The short time that David Tennant has on-screen does not diminish the impact he makes. His stark warning to Sally about the Angels is chilling but is lightened by his description of time as ‘wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff’. Freema has even less to do, sadly, but at least she makes an appearance. And when the main characters are not the main focus of the episode, you either need a decent script or a decent guest cast to make up for it. Whilst Love & Monsters had the second, Blink has both. Carey Mulligan is great as Sally and would, under different circumstances, probably make for a very good companion. She’s intelligent, brave and can take matters into her own hands. What more could you ask for? The tantalising clues left to her by the Doctor initially can be confusing but they all make sense towards the end.

The rest of the guest cast all acquit themselves well, with Finlay Robertson particularly strong as Larry, the geeky net-head who is instrumental in helping Sally solve the mystery. His rapport with Casey was very good. Similarly, Lucy Gaskell and Michael Obiora are good in their roles as Sally’s friend Kathy and DI Billy Shipton respectively. There’s a few poignant moments- notably Sally and the aged Billy Shipton in the hospital which pulled at my manly heartstrings- and a few moments of good old-fashioned terror (notably towards the end when the Angels attack). Whilst not as scary as the little boy in The Empty Child, the Angels were nonetheless an unnerving adversary to go up against. The idea of going up against something that can kill you by sending you back in time to live out your life and die and that can vanquish you if you blink is a scary one. Plus there was a nice little nod at the end with shots of various statuary (most of which is based around Cardiff), which could mean the Angels are still alive… I bet a lot of kids will be checking any statues they pass for the next few days!

It could have been a disaster, but Blink was far from it. Whilst there are stronger episodes within the series for me, this is absolutely fine. And next week sees the return of the delectable John Barrowman! Cannot wait.
  • One of the creepiest TV episodes ever

One of the creepiest TV episodes ever written. Genuinely nail-biting.

Like the original Rod Serling Twilight Zone series, and the original Outer Limits series, ingenious writing obviates any need for elaborate FX.

Clever cutting between a collection of stationary statues is enough to strike terror into viewers' hearts.

Remember, don't blink. Blink and you're dead.
  • Evil alien angel statues and a timey whimey detector, what's not to like?

This was by far the best episode of Doctor Who I have ever seen, and I think I have now seen them all. It was clearly the creepiest episode ever, the only one to really have me on the edge of my seat, the only one I would hesitate to watch in the dark. It was also funny, the Doctor, while not the main character in this episode, was hilarious. There were so many good lines, whole speaches really, that kept me laughing. It helped to balance out the scary aspect of this episode. If I wanted to get any of my friends interested in watching Doctor Who, I would recomend this episode for them to watch to see if they would like it. In my opinion, it's by far the best, outshining all other episodes by a long shot.
  • You live in Scooby-doo’s house...

Weeping Angels.... Lonely Assassins! I love it!!
    Sally Sparrow is a beautiful character. And her unusual journey is an extraordinary fairy-tale that involves all the time paradoxes that sci-fi fans are fuelled on.
    The character of Laurence was a humorous, charismatic, needy guy that was a pleasure to watch.
    This episode was thrilling for the geek in me...
    We were introduced to so many people whose life was touched by the Doctor...
    The seasonal episode where there is very little Who are becoming some of my favourite.
    Not because I dislike the Doctor, but I enjoy seeing lives touched and exploring that further.
    There is only so much time in a 45-minute episode to meet and greet the characters. I love that we at least once per year are allowed access to these wonderful individuals.
  • Don't blink. An amazing episode that at the same time makes you want to keep watching and hide under the bed.

Blink is appropiately named because after while watching your episode its hard enough to blink, let alone look away.

The episode is sort of an ironic twist with the Doctor trapped in the past, leaving cryptic hints. A trail of breadcrumbs for someone he hasn't met. Creepy? Very. Despite being an Doctor lite episode this is no way subtracts from the experience, and Carrey Mulligan plays the part of Sally exceptionally well, and quickly goes from a stranger to a key character.

The episode begins with the Doctor leaving a message in an old abandoned house, which is to start with very creepy. The angel despite having done nothing at this point looks very ominous. The plot seems a whole lot creepier without the charismatic Doctor to make light of it, and this works to the benifit of the episode.

The television conversations are at first a little confusing but quickly become interesting and even humourus, the ending is at the same time scary and ridiculous i laughed at the "I'll rewind it".

The episode is very well cast with Billy in his brief but brilliantly played role. "Lifes short, you're hot", strangly true especially as he will die later that day. Nightingales excentric behaviour with his quotes like "You only own 17 DVDs?" both added to the episode excellently in my oppinion.

The ending had my heart beating, with the light bulb and the TARDIS disapearing without them. I was caught completely off guard by the Doctors ingenious method of trapping the angel s as i was expecting him to reappear and save them in a way i could not possibly fathom.

I think the ending of the episode slotted in very well and the whole "One Year Later" solution to everything as well as the talking to someone who hasn't met you yet. The closing slideshow of photos was scary and if i had a stone statue in my garden i would have almost certainly moved or at least looked at it.

Overal and amazing episode, i would even go so far as to say the best episode ever. If Martha does leave the show i think we may have just found a prime candidate for the next companion.
  • Very Incredibly Well Written Episode. Period.

This is was a really good episode; compared to the majority of series 3; this has to be one of the better ones; if not the best episode so far; and rightly so.

The Acting Was Great; Everything Fitted togeather perfectly; how the doctor knows what is going on; what is going to happen; how the people who get taken, sending messages to the present, the first we see in a very "Back to the Future" Style way "i was told to come to this place at this moment in time to deliver this" in one word; id have to say this episode was AMAZING. it completly builds on the momentum from the last 2 great episodes(Human Nature/Family of Blood) and accelerates the series towards a (hopefully) Exciting Conclusion!
  • I LOVED this episode, even though it barely features the Doctor. The Weeping Angels pull people out of the present and thrust them into the past; then consume all the possibilities that the victims' lives held in store for them. CREEPY!

This is an episode that barely features the Doctor, yet his presence haunts the entire story. The enemy is pulling people out of the present and thrusting them into the past, forcing them to live out their lives long ago. The Weeping Angels then consume all the possibilities that the victims' lives held in store for them.
    The entire episode is filled with wonderful, spooky moments, and four wonderfully realized, spooky bad guys. The scene where the Angel in the living room is creeping up on Larry Nightingale was truly spectacularly frightening! The sequence in the basement, with the angels surrounding the TARDIS, presented with a strobe light-like quality, was likewise nerve-wrenching!
    As with any well-rounded story, there needs to be elements that connect you to the characters. I found many parts of this episode very touching, especially when Sally meets Billy again at the end of his life. I feel that we are supposed to understand that she was meant to have had a future with him (as hinted at by the character accidentally calling herself by his last name), yet not only did Billy lose all of these wonderful moments, so did Sally.
    Without giving away too much, this episode managed to feel like Doctor Who, yet also feel completely fresh and unlike any episode I had ever seen before. It was simply brilliant! It was a great spooky episode, and managed to be scary without resorting to cliches like cats jumping out of cupboards.
    This could definitely be on a Halloween Night must-see list!
  • A Girl Named Sally Written by Steven Moffat Directed by Hettie MacDonald

The Doctor (to Sally/Larry): “Don’t turn your back, don’t look away and don’t blink”.

Okay it’s the time of the season again where The Doctor and companion take a break and let someone else drive the plot while making their lack of presence felt and eventually addressed.

Last year the show pulled off this audacious stunt with the probing “Love And Monsters” which seemed to have left a bitter taste with some viewers and Torchwood’s attempts with a similar tactic in “Random Shoes” also failed to impress. You think with two failings with this format, the writers would make the decision to stay away from trying it again. Well think again!

The episodes opens with a young blonde haired girl staking out a creepy house in the middle of the night and just now that I’m starting to get into the Buffy Season Eight comics, the resemblance the young girl has to Sarah Michelle Gellar is a little uncanny to be honest.

Her house raid however is interesting and set the tone to this episode perfectly. While “Love And Monsters” set out to be self-analysing and goofy, “Blink” aims to be somewhat more creepy and when the lady question passes over some creepy Angel statues and rips the wallpaper off to find a message telling her to beware of the Weeping Angels by The Doctor from 1969, the stage is set brilliantly.

Anyone who got a cryptic message about Weeping Angels directly for them who probably either scoff or run for the hills but the girl in question is more determined to find out what the frak is going on and let’s just say Sally Sparrow is someone of a very curious mind.

No sooner is she calling her mate Kathy and then bumping into her mate’s nude brother but Sally drags her friend back to the very creepy house to do even more snooping than usual. Mind you, it takes very little to persuade Kathy who seems to have a curiosity streak every bit as big as Sally’s but you more or less knew that Sally was leading the girl to inevitable doom during her quest.

Now I’ll be honest and I’ll admit the first ten minutes of this episode start off reasonably slow but I was impressed that within the space of two minutes, not only did Kathy get sent back to 1920 when Sally wasn’t looking but Kathy’s grandson knocked on the door and was able to give Sally an envelope which she refused to open. Naturally Sally thought he was a quack.

However Kathy is something of a strange thing. In this world she’s really dead but she got sent back in time, had to adjust to a conservative era but managed to find someone she loved and had a family while laying pity on Sally and hoping her friend would be able to explain to her brother what happened to her without actually revealing the truth of course. Jumping from 2007 to 1920 and back to 2007 we then have to see Sally do a bit of old detective as her intentions from trying to explain Kathy’s disappearance to Larry then shift when she sees The Doctor on DVD trying to communicate with whoever was watching him but was mostly being paused by a none the wiser Larry.

It’s a genius idea having The Doctor in this state because while it’s painfully obvious that he’s trying to communicate with Sally, his attempts are at first ignored in favour of the girl trying to figure things out for herself. To lighten the mood Sally also has fun teasing Larry for his nude streak the night before she finds out that The Doctor’s message seems to be spread out through 17 unrelated DVDs.

After Sally made her excuses about Kathy, some genius then told her to go to the cops in regards to the creepy goings on within the West Of Drumlins house and it didn’t take much to figure out that the cops would be dismissive of Sally’s theories but luckily we’re spared some incredibly clichéd dialogue and the arrival of DI Billy Shipton only further moves the plot along.

Billy works as a character quickly with him filling some blanks and noting that the same house has had a slew of cars just abandoned there as well as Billy showing Sally the TARDIS and lamenting about not having the very key to open it. When Sally took that key of one of those Angels earlier on, I knew it belonged to the TARDIS. Clearly those things want it but why?

If there was some light flirting with Larry, then the flirting Sally receives at the hands of Billy is a lot more rampant and rather cute too might I add. Carey Mulligan is really impressive throughout this entire episode and Sally’s chance of meeting the guy she could’ve made a life with is cut short by those nefarious Weeping Angels.

Yeah Billy becomes victim Number Two and soon enough the poor lad meets up with The Doctor and Martha. Seeing as with “Love And Monsters” we had to wait until the last ten minutes before Ten and Rose showed up, there needed to be a pretty good explanation as to why The Doctor and Martha couldn’t help and the one we got here was satisfactory enough.

Keeping things simple, our Timelord and his companion managed to get themselves trapped in 1969, by what I presume is the doing of those pesky Angels. As per usual The Doctor gets a bit overexcited and starts spouting off while Martha gives Billy a sympathetic “smile and nod” speech. Billy was hoping to score a date with a beautiful girl, not get stuck in a period where Neil Armstrong has yet to land on the moon.

If The Doctor was using Kathy and her grandson to get a message of help to Sally, then his later attempts by getting the girl to visit a much older version of Billy in hospital would prove far more effective.

Easily the most poignant part of the episode, Sally who obviously quite fancied Billy had to meet a much older version of the man she could have married and there was a tremendous interplay between Mulligan and Louis Mahoney with both actors giving it their all. Regardless of whether this was an episode you liked or not the one thing that is undeniable about this Doctor Who is that the writers really make you care for the guest stars and Billy’s death was really sad I have to admit.

Still though it only helped with furthering the plot and that’s the great thing about this episode, things really keep moving a lot and soon enough Sally knows the DVDs are meant for her. That makes sense bearing in mind, The Doctor managing to write a warning to her from 1969 after all. With enough clues and consequences for an episode of Miss Marple, Sally’s only course of action left is to get the DVDs from Larry along with a portable DVD player and then watch them at the creepy house. Okay I could say this time Sally sort of knew she was gonna put someone else’s life in danger but she really did need Larry’s help and I guess a part of her wanted to get some justice for Kathy as well.

The real fun of the hour is then listening to these particular Easter Eggs and having The Doctor then answer and converse with both Sally and Larry as they begin to figure out what is going on.

The sheer essence of fandom is another thing this episode shares in common with “Love And Monsters”. Anyone who is reading this review is a fan of Doctor Who or just curious and despite what most of us would like to think we all have some level of fandom so when Larry talks about scripting The Doctor’s messages and coming up with his own theories, it’s something you can essentially identify with. Basically what Larry is doing here is what I do nearly every day in regards to the plethora of TV shows I love. Does it make him sad? You know what, no it doesn’t! And in case you’re wondering it really isn’t that sad to be vocally fandom.

With Martha being slightly disruptive during one of those messages, the biggest information dump in regards to Weeping Angels is dropped on us and once again after the malicious Family Of Blood, this lot are also an unconventional threat.

First off all, the Weeping Angels kill their victims only when they blink at them and the death they choose is to put their intended in another era where they have to die naturally and can never return. The Doctor saying their execution is almost kind could be a telling statement but when looked at this lot freeze into rocks and therefore cannot actually be killed. That part is definitely the most interesting of the bunch. The next part proves because after The Doctor warns Sally and Larry not to blink, four of the Weeping Angels are quick enough then to attack the duo and once again, some major acting is required by both Mulligan and Finlay Robertson as not only does Sally try to find a way out of the place but she also has to stay alive, keep Larry alive and then head down to the cellar in order to get to the TARDIS.

Maybe it’s not surprising that the very thing these Angels want is The Doctor’s spaceship but at the same it’s a hell of acting for Sally to get to the TARDIS and then get in with Larry as the Angels wreck havoc with the lights but luckily enough the girl is clever enough to actually get in there.

However instead of simply going back to 1969 with the TARDIS to retrieve The Doctor and Martha as soon as the machine is operated, Sally and Larry are booted out and once again look like they could face death in the past. Heck these Angels even tried to knock the TARDIS on it’s side in order to get at it so it is rather surprising but cool when it’s revealed that the Weeping Angels are now positioned to look at one another instead.

As you’ve noticed this doesn’t mean that they are dead but it’s a sufficient stalling tactic and a year onwards a more coupled up Sally is only able to move on from her experiences when she happened to chance upon seeing the very man who sent her on this goose chase to begin with.

The Doctor and Martha’s appearance at the end is a bit random and there is the thing of him not actually remembering Sally but he’s more intrigued with the girl’s certain Intel and gratitude than he is fighting a lizard. As for the end sequences with all those statues and The Doctor’s “don’t blink” running around? Enough said!

Also in “Blink”

Did anyone notice there was no dialogue in the opening tease? Even with only one character seen in it, it’s a first I think.

Kathy: “Sparrow and Nightingale, that so works”
    Sally: “Yeah for ITV”.

Sally had started an entire dossier on that house and the Weeping Angels even before Kathy’s disappearance. Sally (re Kathy): “Told me you were eighteen, lying cow”.

Larry: “We’ve met haven’t we?”
    Sally: “It’ll come to you”
    Larry (remembering being nude): “Oh my God”.

Steven Moffat never really explained what got Sally onto that house in the first place.

The Doctor (to Sally/Larry): “People assume time is strict progression of cause to effect but actually from an non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it’s more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey stuff”.

Sally: “Okay what’s the big question?”
    Billy: “Will you have a drink with me?”

A nickname The Doctor dubbed the Weeping Angels was “Lonely Assassins”. This lot also feed on stolen moments too.

Billy (to The Doctor): “What in God’s name are you talking about?”
    Martha: “Trust me just nod when he stops for breath”.

Billy (to Sally): “Look at my hands; they’re old man’s hands. How did that happen?”

Martha mentions seeing the landing on the moon four times and it’s becoming apparent how exciting she’s finding her travels with The Doctor.

Sally: “I’ve seen this one before”
    The Doctor: “Quite possibly”.

Sally (re The Doctor): “This is impossible”
    Larry: “No this is brilliant”.

It’s a creepy moment when we see these Angels actually make faces. They give the Clockworks Droids and Gas Mask kid a run for their money.

Sally (to the Weeping Angels): “I know how this works, you can’t move if I can’t see you”.

The Doctor and Martha randomly chasing down a monster at the end of this episode is exactly what The Doctor and Rose did at the start of “Love And Monsters”.

Larry: “Some things you never find out and that’s okay”
    Sally: “No it isn’t”.

The Doctor: “What was your name?”
    Sally: “Sally Sparrow”
    The Doctor: “Good to meet you Sally Sparrow”.

Chronology: We’ve had 1920, 1969, 2007 and 2008 this week. RTD needs to sort out what year is Saxon’s election – is it 2007 or 2008?

A couple of things Steven Moffat said about “Blink” I can now easily answer. First off I have no idea how this will fair in “best of” polls for Doctor Who episodes but I will be incredibly surprised if the hostility for this episode is anywhere near the same as “Love And Monsters”. Now I liked that episode but this one was easily better thought out and executed. As for Sally Sparrow being the best companion ever, if I didn’t like Martha so much I would insist on The Doctor bringing the resourceful Sally along. Carey Mulligan was excellent and what could’ve easily been a gimmick episode just worked superbly. I love that this show has no qualms with taking risks and with efforts as wonderful as this, long may it last.
  • Mighty Creepifying

Taking the focus away from The Doctor and Martha we see what happens when you get someone with a decent brain and an inquiring nature on the case of something a little bit beyond normal comprehension. Sally Sparrow with the slightly unfortunate surname referencing another Sparrow currently swashbuckling his way across the big screen looks into the case of a mysterious house and following a series of clues and mad coincidences leads her to something far more dangerous than she envisioned.

Meanwhile it seems that the Doctor and Martha got themselves stuck in 1969 and I can't help but feel sorry for those people that got trapped in times not their own. Especially the Detective, the Doctor could have saved him. Anyways the final scenes with the frantic staring at the statues along with the frantic attempts to get into the Tardis in the flashing darkness were some of the best scenes of the season, especially as we never actually see the Angels move. The conclusion was a good one, bringing the story full circle. And next week Captain Jack is back. Woo!
  • Don't blink.

This episode amazed me. There is almost no actual Doctor in it, and yet he is. The entire concept takes a bit to wrap your brain around, but once you do, you'll figure out this is one of the best episodes of this series.

It follows Sally Sparrow, who is being watched/ followed by the Weeping Angels, who want the Tardis. They can't move when someone is looking at them. The Doctor and Martha have been taken back to 1969 by them and can only communicate through things left in time by Sally's acquaintances who have also been thrown back into time. The most important of these are the DVDs the Doctor talks to Sally through. This is just a perfect example of television. It shows the other side of the Doctor's adventures. He is just passing through and you don't usually see what happens to the ordinary people, but this time you do, and it's so interesting. The Angels are scary as hell, and it's also cool to note that not only do they stay still when the characters are looking at them, but also when we, the audience, are.

All in all, an extrememely good watch.
  • how does an episode of "doctor who" work with almost no doctor in it?

one word: brilliantly! this has been one the best and most exciting episodes so far with a brilliant storyline and a great mixture of time periodes and a wonderful explanation about how the doctor would know what would be happening in 2007 while he was stuck in the past. i was on the edge of my seat when sally first found the warnings from 1969 addressed to her by the doctor. the doctor on every screen in her living room gave me the creeps but most of all did the angels. it was thrilling how this almost fragile symbols for peace would turn into ruthless killers. i really like this kind of statues in a guilty pleasure kind of way so they gave me even more of an intense chicken skin. they looked so very scary with their horrible grimaces and i'm sure they must have provided a lot of hours of nightmare. the scene when the doctor gave sally instructions from the computer screen, was fascinating and quite funny and the explanation about how he knew about what she was going to say was just brilliant! this episode might have been more complicated and more complex than most of the other ones but never the less really thrilling and most of all incredibly intelligent!
  • In giving this episode a rating, I can't help but wonder...do these go to eleven?

.........WOW.

Between the combination of this episode's awesomeness and the previews for next episode, I did a quite literal flail. Alone in my room at 5 am. Note to potential viewers: DO NOT watch this episode in the dark during a particularly bad thunderstorm!! I learned this the hard way.

Another reviewer was spot-on when (s)he mentioned that this episode tosses aside the child's notion of hiding under the bedcovers and "if I can't see them they can't see me". I'm frightened to ever look a statue ever again.

This episode was just everything that you could possibly want in an episode of Doctor Who. You've got a fantastically complicated plot, great dialogue, the Doctor being all adorable with his "wibbley-wobbly timey-wimey stuff", superb acting, CREEEEEEEEEPY villains, a few subtle jabs at internet geekdom, and the completely random but oh-so-awesome bows and arrows. I can't BELIEVE that I, of all people, am saying this, but this actually might be my favorite episode ever....despite the fact that there was no Rose. Ok, so I'm a bit biased, so sue me. Last series' "Love and Monsters" was an interesting exploration into how the Doctor affects other peoples' lives, sometimes completely unintentionally. I understand what they were trying to do, but I started to get bored and wished the Doctor would come on-screen and entertain me. With this episode, I was probably halfway through before I realized that we had barely seen any of him and I didn't even care, the plot was so compelling.
  • We now introduce you to, Sally Sparrow!

This is my favorite episode to date, all for two words. Sally Sparrow. I love her character, it was just perfect through the whole episode. I saved this review for my new badge one, hell I had to.

The story line was great, the whole spookiness of the episode was great. Don't blink, don't look away. The new characters introduced were great, and Sally had that wit with her and her beauty.

I was sad that the Doctor wasn't in the episode to much, but i think Sally made up for that. I do hope they bring Sally back and give her a chance to tag around with the Doctor. I could care less if her story was closed, I want her back. I'm fine with her leaving her boyfriend, as long as she comes back.
  • Just fantastic

This was definately one of the scariest episodes of Doctor Who I've ever seen, I didn't think I'd like it owing to the lack of doctor (expected it to be similar to Love and Monsters from the last series) but I thought it was absolutely brilliant, edge of your seat stuff.
    The doctor and his timey wimey detector was hilarious and I loved the bow and arrows at the end.
    Totally put an end to the childhood idea of 'if I can't see it then it can't see me' and that hiding under your duvet makes you immune to danger, scary stuff, but brilliant, absolutely brilliant.
    Doctor Who at its best.
  • Amazing and terrifying.

The Weeping Angels are more scary than the Daleks could ever be, or any other Who villain I've ever seen, for that matter. This episode is marvellously well-written, clever, and like I said, absolutely terrifying. I might have actually hidden behind my couch, had I been near one. Instead I'm just going to be afraid of statues for the rest of my life.
  • What can i say what others have not?

As I said, there is not much I can say that others have not, but wow, this was a fantastic episode. One of the best since the new season started, Not only was the enemy excellent, but the way they went about the whole story, and of course an actual decent ending too, there is something to decent writing after all.

I think what did it for me in this episode was how the 'Angels' sent people back in time to different periods, but what i did not understand and this was my only gripe in all this, maybe I missed something with people talking behind me, but how did they get the Tardis Key and how comes until Sally went to the Police depot that they then only found it, maybe I am looking too deep into this. Overall it was a fantastic episode that I WILL watch again.

Hail to the Doctor!
  • The tables are turned on The Doctor and Martha when they are the ones in need of rescue

Fantastic! An incredibly well-written episode with extremley clever twists around every corner. Even though the Doctor and Martha didn't feature much in this episode, it was still one of the best episode's of the series, and a great lead up to the finale.

The acting was excellent, allowing the audience to connect with the two principle characters. This episode was much much much better than the episode this time last year. The whole idea of the episode, with the unusual, but exceedingly clever, deaths that featured, were very good!

More episodes like this would be brilliant, and now I can't wait until nect week!
  • Don't blink! Seriously! Don't you dare blink! You might miss something!

I was a bit unsure about this episode before I watched it. Maybe it was the title, or it had been the preview, I don't know... But then I started watching and I was instantly captivated. The creepy old house, the eerie messages, and of course, the weeping angels that seemed to move when you weren't looking. The characters, no matter how little time they had, like Kathy, were all charcaters you immediately came to like (which is something that happens a lot on DW), which got me even more into the story. It was a beautifully crafted episode, and I loved every moment of it. Loved the "don't blink" moments. While the Doctor is MIA for most of the episode, the few moments in which he appears were great, especially the parts where we see him on the DVDs. Another great trick was not letting us see the angels moving either. I think it gave it a much more thrilling feel. One of my favotrite moments were the lights flickering and the TARDIS going away. And of course, the Back to the future mirror image with the letter delivery, haha. Nice to see smart characters. Anyways, lots of great moments and an exciting episode altogether. Loved it!
  • Blink and you miss it.

The silent assassins that turn to stone whenever they are observed. They send people back through time to live out their lives in the past, consuming the energy left in their place. Personally I found this incredibly chilling and realistic, unlike many of the alien creatures in this series. Stone angels can be sinister even in the daylight sanctuary of a nearby church, and this was played upon well. The idea that they are actually alive and are only inanimate when you observe them is still haunting me now.
    I loved all of the characters and the way the story played out - the angels sneaking around the house, Kathy disappearing. It really brought across the concept of time as a 'big ball of wibley-wobbley ... timey-wimey ... stuff.' Billy made a sweet impression and brought across the element of tragedy, meeting Sally as an old man during the same rain that they had first met in. It really made me think about the concept of time, and how life is gone in the blink of an eye.
    The DVD Easter Eggs and Larry as the geeky sidekick brought the humour, also making the story that much more intrinsically linked. It was also believable and I loved the idea that The Doctor, Martha and Billy had set up a publishing press in order to get the message across to Sally. The ending was also brilliant - Sally was still dwelling on the events of a year ago, while they hadn't yet happened to the Doctor yet. Larry still as sweet and geeky as ever. And back to the very beginning - the Doctor's message. Sally proved a lot by realising that she was the source, really, of their saving. As a Doctor-lite episode it could be compared to Love And Monsters, which many people disliked. However I think this episode far surpassed all expectations heaped upon it - a tremendous achievement given the success of the previous two-part story. It was fast-paced, witty and involved.
  • Steven Moffat crafts one the the smartest, and the best doctor who episodes ever. He writes real drama, without the razzal dazzal of alot of series three. RTD has somthing to learn from this fellow.

I'll admit it right here, I was scared for this episode. The fact that it did not follow the doctor and Martha scared me because of the crap that Love and Monsters was....below quickly I forgot that Love and Monsters was written by RTD. This is Steven Moffat

I do not want to spoil it, but here's the basis of it all. Sally Sparrows is being contacted by a mysterious Doctor on a little Easter egg on 17 different DVDs....the thing is that the message comes from 1969 and...I'll stop there. This episode in reason three, is like a well of water in the desert. Its flawless, and without a doubt the most cleverly plotted episode of the new series of doctor who. I can tell Steven Moffat puts alot of thought into his episodes.

Maffar knows how to freak you out. There is no razzal dazzle, no stupid scary monster. Maffar has a talent to creep you out, to get your heart racing. Why doesn't he have RTD's job?
< 1 2 3 4