Doctor Who

Blink

Aired Saturday 8:00 PM Jun 09, 2007 on BBC America

• Sally Sparrow finds some odd happenings at an abandoned house. Cryptic messages, creepy angel statues, disappearing people, and the series of DVD easter eggs with the same man, this Doctor, apparently having a conversation with himself...

Like last year with "Love & Monsters", "Blink" is an episode that features very little Doctor in it and instead gives us an adventure with a young, modern individual thrust into extraordinary circumstances with the Doctor at the fringes. "Love & Monsters" worked mostly due to its performances by the actors who made you (or at least me) care about the characters. Could this one do the same?

Well, if my rating is any indication, that would be a resounding yes! Written by Steven Moffat, the scribe who brought us previous sublime gems "The Empty Child"/"The Doctor Dances" and "The Girl in the Fireplace", "Blink" is another outstanding entry in the modern Doctor Who story. This is due in large part to our main protagonist Sally Sparrow, played perfectly by beautiful guest star Carey Mulligan. As others have said in various places I've seen, if they made Sally a companion, I would have absolutely no problem with it (She even has the name for it. "Sally Sparrow". Ha!) Filled with witty, sparkling dialogue, memorable minor characters, a story filled with charm and tragedy, and featuring a rather creepy villain, this episode brings the best of Doctor Who and from beginning to end is a pleasure to watch.