Doctor Who

Blink

Aired Saturday 8:00 PM Jun 09, 2007 on BBC America

• Don't Blink. Blink and you're dead. Wow. Just Wow. As of the end of the 4th series, this is far and away the best episode of the revived Doctor Who. The base concept, plot, and manner of intertwining both is nothing less than incredibly ori

==================================================
    Don't Blink. Blink and you're *dead*. Don't turn your back. Don't look away. And **don't blink**.
    ==================================================
    I've been an SF fan for over 40 years. I never liked the old Doctor Who, because I've always prefered SF to Science Fantasy, which the Doctor generally was in the past. The revived series is still Science Fantasy, but it's a bit less cheezy than the old series was. Plus I've mellowed a bit in the last twenty since the original was on the air. The revived series is fun and amusing and the characters are well-written and, within the limitations of TV, very effectively done. It is mildly uneven, running from very very good to pretty good, but never is it disappointing.

Blink is an unusual episode as the Doctor has a comparatively small "on screen" part in it. The concept behind the story, though, and the manner of its telling, is as inventive and original as any SF ever placed on TV. It is proof that Steven Moffat, better known for the excellent comedy Coupling, but also for several of the better episodes of Doctor Who in the revived series, is literally a brilliant storyteller. With Blink, he breaks out of the "standard" story telling mode and tells a nonlinear story using a linear format, pretty much backwards from the usual way of doing that sort of thing. It does an amazingly remarkable job of keeping you engrossed, trying to figure out what is going on, and presents a "villain" -- a nemesis -- which is both utterly alien yet completely believable and, within the bounds of the story, even understandable. If you don't like this episode -- quite a bit -- Then I say that you, sir or madam, are dull and unimaginative. That's the only possible explanation I can conceive of.