A Doctor Who Community
Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC America
II had some health issues but I was not out of it. Was there a 2018 Christmas Special? I did nor see anything about one this side of the pond.
Comments (12)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Feb 12, 2019
Was there not a reply link to each post? I see one on about 2/3 of the posts.

Flag
Feb 12, 2019
As I have said I have not seen any of the 2018 season but have read some remarks of others. Politics has always been part of the Doctor Who. Based on some of the posts I wonder if the writers are pushing a political agenda at the sacrifice of the storylines.
Flag
Feb 06, 2019
Will try the pod cast this weekend. Thanks
Flag
Feb 04, 2019
It's only just shown up on my feed in the last 2 hours - something is very wrong on the tech side of TV.com

In answer to your question though, there wasn't a Christmas special, but there was a New Year's Day Special called Resolution, which for me was the best of Series 11.
Flag
Feb 06, 2019
Was it TV only or out in the movies? As I said before in my area at least we get no Doctor Who news. You have to take the time to hunt for it. I see the DVD release in mid Feb. I look for it then. Go the 11 DVD said this past weekend. Now finding the time to watch it.
Flag
Feb 06, 2019
Only on TV.

I'll be interested to hear your take on series 11. I like Jodie's Doctor, played largely gender neutral, but she's been let down a lot in the writing. Of the whole series there's only 2 or 3 episodes I may selectively watch again.

Though it was nice seeing chunks of it filmed on my doorstep.
Flag
Feb 10, 2019
I know this is a new team but could this be the same problem JNT was having at the end of his time? The show has just gotten old.
Flag
Feb 11, 2019
If that was the case Big Finish would be struggling too, but their output is phenomenally well written and just getting stronger. Both with their classic Who and new Who ranges.
Flag
Feb 08, 2019
It seem the writing has been a problem the pass few years. I guess the change did not help? You see this type of things clearer than I do is there an underline reason for the poor writing?
Flag
Feb 12, 2019
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Feb 08, 2019
I could understand Moffat's writing tailing off after a long time in the job, but his writing picked up towards the end.

You'd think Chibnall would come in with a lot of fresh ideas, especially having stated no old monsters this season. Then he recycles Robots of Death and gives us The Green Death meets Planet of the Spiders
Flag
Feb 08, 2019
I really don't understand it, Chibnall's Broadchurch was brilliantly written (well the first 2 seasons at least), so he knows how to write, and should be able to spot bad writing in his team of writers too. But it's not just writing, the directing was poor too.

I spend a lot of time in the company of writers, directors and producers nowadays, so I pick up an assortment of ideas. One thing I hear a lot about Sci-fi and Fantasy is that you can get away with a lot of outlandish ideas, as long as you keep the simple things real.

An example of bad direction in The Woman Who Fell to Earth, Ryan throws his bike down the hill. The next shot he is in the middle of a large woodland with his bike high up in the trees, not even on the edge of the woods. Even an Olympic Hammer thrower couldn't get it there. At which point you are jarred out of your suspension of disbelief.

Similarly in the same episode, both writing and direction, we've got a crane being operated at night, unlikely, then they cut to a shot of the wind speed monitor going round like the clappers - there is no way anyone would be up that crane in that weather. Made worse by putting in the very deliberate shot to show you it was too windy.

The change in Doctor didn't cause the writing problem, in fact it might have distracted from some of it, as you're busy getting to know the new quirks. But then one quirk again shows up an odd writing decision. The new Doctor talks to herself a lot, but then has 3 companions who largely stand around with no interaction in moving the plot forward, just exposition from the Doctor.

I like the new Doctor, and the character of Graham has really surprised me (Bradley Walsh is better known as a game show host). But Ryan and Yas are very poorly underused.

Normally in a season there'd be 1 or 2 episodes I wouldn't watch again. Season 11, there's 1 or 2 episodes I might watch again.
More +
Flag
Feb 03, 2019
I posted this yesterday but could not find it today. I wonder if that the same problem other has been having.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members