A Doctor Who Community
Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC America (Returning 2018)
It's 4 years since the 50th Anniversary of Doctor Who, and this year Big Finish gave us a new Tenth Doctor Box Set, this time with Rose Tyler. But even though the Fiftieth Anniversary was 4 years ago, that doesn't mean it's still not giving us enjoyment today.

I know a lot of people whinged and moaned about the 50th Anniversary, but to me it was almost perfect. Yeah it would have been lovely to somehow involve every living Doctor in the main story, but to do that in a single 90 minute story would have inevitably been an incoherent mish-mash, and not really give each Doctor a good crack at the whip, before you even get into the age thing – the 20th Anniversary only just managed it, and they only had 5 to deal with back then.

Since they ALL got involved in one or more of the other specials, I think it was a great way to bring them all in for the saving Gallifrey scene at the end of Day of the Doctor and that extra special Curator moment. Given the limitations of aging and time, probably the only things I would have done different would have been to make Night of the Doctor the opening gambit for Day of the Doctor, the “not the one you were expecting” line would have worked even better there, and instead of The General have Commander Maxil, giving Colin Baker his original Gallifreyan part.

Now I’d already seen or listened to most of the many specials, which in case you weren’t paying attention the original Doctor actors gave us The Night of the Doctor, The Day of the Doctor, An Adventure in Space and Time, The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot and The Light at the End (Big Finish), each including at least 1 “real Doctor” and a few sadly passed Doctors wonderfully recast to boot.

In the theme of the gift that keeps on giving An Adventure in Space and Time gave us David Bradley’s excellent portrayal of the William Hartnell/First Doctor, which he’s now gone on to appear in Season 10, the upcoming Christmas Special, and his own audio-drama series for Big Finish. Then of course Day of the Doctor gave us John Hurt’s amazing War Doctor, again star of his own 4 volume series for Big Finish.

But I’d missed one…

Destiny of the Doctor was an Audio-Go production, and on paper it looked like it was a collection of linked audiobooks, each read by a companion. It was fairly expensive, as you had to buy 11 CDs to get the whole story, and I’m more an Audio-Drama than Audio-Book fan and there weren’t any real Doctors in it, so it couldn’t be that good – could it?

Technically, under the covers, this was a Big Finish Production, so I shouldn’t have been worried, and when Audio-Go went bust, the rights to sell this title moved to Big Finish. I suspect the making of this went a long way to Big Finish securing the rights to make new series titles as well.

What you actually get is a whole set of “almost audio dramas”, rather than being a straight read of a book, each story has a main narrator in the form of one of each Doctor’s companions, retelling an adventure to us, with usually at least one other actor playing other parts. This gives you a mix of straight narration, and “live action”, rather like the Companion Chronicles. On the whole you get caught up in it just the same as any of Big Finish’s other audio dramas. Of course when you get to the Second Doctor it’s like listening to a lost episode as Frazer Hine’s rendition of his old friend is note perfect.

So far, I’ve only reached the Fifth Doctor, but the stories are well done, and all seem to involve a message from the Eleventh Doctor to steer the plot. So I suspect big things from the final part.

The reason this one is the gift that keeps on giving is it’s now available in the 99 for 99 sale that Big Finish are doing, in which you can buy all 11 titles for 99p each as downloads. So that’s 11 hours of a multi-Doctor story for just over a tenner. Not sure how the price translates overseas, but probably still a bargain. The offer runs until just before Christmas, which is why I decided to write this before getting to the end of the adventure.

7 Comments
Comments (7)
Submit
Dec 03, 2017
I had looked at this set a time or 4 and was not decided. After reading your post I may try it on the download if I can ever figure out how to do it on my iPod. I had the thing over two years and still have not used it. But with the lack of room and cost I do need to start using downloads for some. I just wonder how that work while driving?
Flag
Dec 04, 2017
Big Finish gives you the choice of either MP3 or Audiobook format to download in. I think Audiobook works with Apple, so I think you just import them into ITunes and go from there.

The mp3 format is 1 file per chapter, if you want 1 file per-episode then I recommend "Free M4A to MP3" converter, which takes the Audiobook format and gives you 1 mp3 file per episode.
Flag
Dec 08, 2017
You specking in Old High Gallifreyan but I think I can get help translating.
Flag
Dec 23, 2017
I just got 61 of the 99 for 99 P including the 11 Destiny of the Doctor and the spin offs Unit and I, Davros. Now I just have to get them from my Big Finish account to my I Pod. We are having Christmas as my in-laws tomorrow and there will be some 20-25 years old there so maybe I can get some help.
Flag
Dec 03, 2017
I had forgotten about the Five(ish) Doctor and had never taken time to watch it until just now. It was very funny. 5-7 do make a great time. The part about Tom Baker really stands out.
Flag
Dec 04, 2017
I watched Day of the Doctor again last night, and it always make me smile when the pass the "statues on the sheets" to think that supposedly Peter, Colin and Sylvester are under there ;-)

The Five(ish) Doctors was the perfect way to get those 3 in the Anniversary. Whenever you see them together they don't half take the rip out of each other - though to be fair they don't even have to be together ;-)
Flag
Follow this Show
Members