A Doctor Who Community
Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC America
I know Doctor Who, as well as many BBC TV shows take time off. But as a fan since 1977 I do remember the 1980s when Doctor Who took time off and came back with a new Doctor. It did return after an 18-month hiatus and ran for 1987-89 but the hand writing was on the wall. John Nathan-Turner no longer wanted to do the show but no other producer would take it. It never regained where it was under Tom Baker or Peter Davison’s first year.
So what do you think?
Poll

Comments (4)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Feb 28, 2019
BBC News, is the only channel who never changes their theme I remember when I was doing my graduation, I used to read all bulletins on BBC UK and if we talk about present time they didn't changed their back ground theme. Most of Editors, writing experts are using tips from this site and apply it on their news Headlines, Well To compete other news channel they must try to go with the trend.
Flag
Feb 19, 2019
TV is changing....

The bigger, more expensive, shows on the BBC are gradually shifting away from the annual delivery, to help them compete with the likes of Netflix and Amazon. The BBC can't raise any additional money, it is dependent on the license fee which is shrinking as more turn to online delivery. So having a really successful show (like Bodyguard) doesn't suddenly imbue them with more funds, unlike Netflix which can attract new subscriptions with a new hit show.

Doctor Who is expensive, and as such finds it hard to produce competitive quality each year with an ever reducing license fee. So many of the bigger shows shift to what is being referred to as "event TV" where a new series comes along every few years and is more of an event. Shows like Line of Duty, Luther and Sherlock are all delivered this way and go from strength to strength. But what it means instead of taking and using a budget from a shrinking annual allocation, it instead takes an allocation across a few years giving it a bigger budget per series, but less frequent series.

There's also a big shift in the entertainment industry, with actors now moving more freely between TV, Film and Theatre. It used to be that certain actors would be movie actors, others TV and some only on stage, but now that distinction is blurring. But to let that happen TV shows will have to have more periods of hiatus, to allow the lead actors to take other opportunities. If TV didn't react to this then the better actors would move away from TV, or sign up for shorter periods, to allow them more freedom and a stronger career.

So it's really a case of get used to it, the model of shows being delivered annually till they die is gradually disappearing.
More+
Flag
Feb 20, 2019
Is it just you or is it just me but every notiifcation I get from you shows up twice in my notification dropdown box.
Flag
Feb 20, 2019
Not every, but most are appearing twice in my inbox too.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members