A Doctor Who Community
Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC America
Filming has started on season 8, but before that they had to decide on exactly what The Doctor would wear:

(via facebook)

Whether its due to Capaldi's age, or more likely because of the colors used for his costume, there are comparisons being drawn between him and Jon Pertwee's Doctor:

(The 3rd and 12th Doctor side-by-side, as pointed out by Doctor Who Magazine‘s Tom Spilsbury)
I really hope not, the 3rd Doctor always reminds me of Austin Powers (Judo chop!!).

However speaking in an interview with Doctor Who Magazine, Steven Moffat said Capaldi will harken back to the alien weirdness and unpredictability of Tom Baker’s Fourth in Doctor Who Series 8.

“Our vague idea is… the last two Doctors have been brilliant,” explained Moffat, “and have been your ‘good boyfriend’ Doctors. But the Doctor isn’t always like that.
“There is the sort of Tom Baker, Christopher Eccelston end of the spectrum, where he is mad and dangerous and difficult.”
(via ScifiNow)

SciFiNow also has a review of a DVD release of one of the lost episodes, Doctor Who: The Moonbase, an animated version of a lost episode, here's a clip:

One of the next issues to come up with regard to Capaldi is his accent, which according to BBC he will keep:

Anyway, filming began about a month ago and judging by the first set photo that was released, we will be picking up where we left off (as Peter Capaldi is wearing Matt Smiths costume)

I know nearly everyone realizes they will pick up right after the regeneration, but it gives me an excuse to post a small video clip from set:

And another clip with a stunt double:

i09
has an exclusive interview with one of the Doctor Who directors , Ben Wheatley. He hints that the new series will be a bit darker, giving comparisons to Tom Bakers era in tone at least:

"It seems to me the episodes that we're doing now seem more like classic Who. We're going back to that style. But you'll have to wait and see."

You can read the whole article HERE

Assignment X has an interview with Steven Moffat where he talks about his future as showrunner:

"If we weren't enjoying it, or we didn't think there was anything good left to do, we’d stop, but we haven’t reached that point yet, is all we can say.
“I can envision just doing [Sherlock] for a while – for quite a while, possibly. The fact that we only do it occasionally means it’s not swamping anyone’s schedule.

He adds: “Eventually, I’ll stop doing Doctor Who, because it stops me doing anything else. But Sherlock doesn't swamp my schedule, doesn't swamp anyone. So I could imagine we’ll come back and do Sherlock fairly often for many years, rather than very often for a few years.”.

DOCTOR WHO ART:
I may as well start off with some art from Peter Capaldi himself (although it is from 1976):

Here are all the Doctors and their catchphrases:

All The Doctors first and last words:

Some concept art from Matthew Savage, who has worked on Doctor Who:

There's a lot more artwork at Savage's website and his blog.

FAN MADE GOODIES:
This first one would make a great screensaver in my opinion:

Here are a couple of really cool intros:

And a vid with a special guest appearance:

SPOILERS...
Rather than list a lot of spoilers, I'll leave it up to you to decide whether or not you really need to know certain things. DoctorWhoTv has a few articles with spoilers (I have linked to the 3 most recent ones), HERE, HERE and HERE. All of them concern the first episode of season 8.
53 Comments
Comments (53)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
nice collection of goodies! Reverse the polarity!! haha
Flag
I never considered Tom Baker's Doctor dark, just irreverent. Sylvester McCoy portrayed the dark Doctor, and Colin Baker's Doctor was just bat-$hit crazy.
Flag
Tom Baker, for me, always flipped between crazy, silly, sad and exasperated at the situations he found himself in - which led to a few instances of breaking the fourth wall and confiding in the viewers.
I always view his Doctor as an amped up version of the 2nd.
McCoy was dark and angry and Baker's Doctor always seemed aloof to me
Flag

This is the new companion: Danny Pink. He is a teacher from Coal Hill School, like Clara and the first companions of the Doctor.
Flag
Doctor Who is going to have a new companion in Series 8. His name is Danny Pink. He will be played by Samuel Anderson. Why hasn't tv.com reported it yet? It is all over youtube
Flag
No way, a boy?! I hope Clara stays too though, I love her she's one of the strongest characters ever - plus she has that whole saved-the-Doctor's-life-a-thousand-times-through-his-timestream-AND-resurrected-him-too thing!! And she's barely had half a season too...
Flag
Wow what a lot of goodies! :-D Thank you Grumpyclown!

I liked Capaldi in Torchwood & in the "The Fires of Pompeii" but cannot picture him yet as Doctor Who. Really looking forward to it!
Flag
Glad you enjoyed them
Flag
All the stuff concerning Capaldi and the new season made me exhale in relief. It looks good. Also nice to read that they are going "back" to a crazier, more dangerous loon as doctor. Can be fun.
BTW I love Jon Pertwee's Judo chops. And the cape, OMG the cape... He really was the Austin Powers Doctor.
Flag
And for some reason he got into sword fights???
Flag
Pertwee is legendary! that outfit with the cape... so classic. it fit his character so well: pompous and adventurous. and his sword fight with The Master was awesome! yes, a very weird time, but it was supposed to be.
Flag
It was a weird time I guess...
Flag
The Doctor first and last words. I know I'm old because when someone say they are looking for information on a n old show from the 90s I just go (?). But was I the only one who could not read the post?
Flag
Lol, I'm with you too: I could make out the word 'Run' but now't else! Mind you, I didn't think to just zoom in on the screen...
Flag
Here is a link for a bigger clearer image -

First and last words

i couldn't resize it here
Flag
the source for that is even bigger: http://imgur.com/0rdY9Eg
Flag
Thanks! I know I'm close to my next regenation but my eyes had held up okay. It good to know it was not all me.
Flag
Thanks, I was really interested in them more than in their catchphrases (but they were awesome too);
Flag
No prob.
If they used the art from the catchphrases for the first and last words it would look cool
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
God, I hope those aren't the actual musical intros to the new season, they seem all subdued and mild, (they seem like the super old intro's from the 60's-80's); they should have more pizzazz or panache like the Tennant era, (to help represent the Doctor's own pizzazz/panache); Doctor Who should try to show that it has some action in it as well as adventure and music helps convey that, with this lukewarm version of it I feel like I need to have a bowl of soup instead of expecting excitement...
Flag
It would be interesting to change a little. Tennant and Smith were incredible but bringing Capaldi to remember other things than Handsome doctors and silly attitudes (don't get me wrong i love them) is a very good idea. I'm actually looking forward to Capaldi. Of course i was really sad to think about it because of the 11 but i accepted the fact that his time was over. When i watched his last episode i didn't feel like he could have a lot more episodes, it just felt like a good goodbye and ready for the 12
Flag
Seeing all this makes me more eager tha ever to see the new Doctor.
This just for one reqson : Peter Capaldi is a great actor. If you're interested, you can watch hime in The Hour (UK) and in The Devil's Whore.
Also, I'm glad to see an older Doctor ; if he can be more mature, more serious but with bursts of joy ....
I just can't wait ! Thanks for the goodies Grumpyclown !
Flag
I love his Malcolm Tucker character in The Thick Of It - but I doubt he will be swearing as much :-)
Flag
I don't know The Thick of It ... Thanks a lot ; I'll check it out ! And indeed, as Doctor Who is family friendly, I can't see any swearing in it ;-)
Flag
If you don't like or approve of swearing you may not like The Thick Of It
Flag
Good stuff GC.
I really like that third drawing from Matthew Savage, it kind of reminds me of the Blade Runner inspired Manga-esque stuff from the '90s.
Flag
The third one reminds me more of the Mass Effect game series - but I might be getting influenced by some of his other stuff I have seen
Flag
I never played Mass Effect, so I can't help you with that one mate. I do like his work though.
Flag
No idea if a movie is in the works - there was some talk of a show, but its been quiet for a while now
Flag
It's on IMDb as "in development", I just checked, there's no word on if it's a movie or a series though.
Flag
A fan made ME movie trailer =

Flag
That confused me at first. I was convinced that that spaceship at the very beginning was from a movie, then I realised there were loads of little clips from various movies but now I want to know where that ship was from. Anyway, it still looks cool. I understand a movie adaptation is actually in the works?
Flag
Thanks GC. About the costume, I've said it before, first impression is that I don't like it. But as @No1Slayerette says, we have to wait how it will look in action.
Flag
There was also a lot of discussion about his shoes for some reason.
Although they do look like Doc Martins, they apparently aren't, which caused some kerfuffle - which I couldn't understand
Flag
Now kerfuffle is a word I don't understand. But I looked it up and now I understand :-)
Flag
Is it your word of the day ;-)
Flag
I don't know I think due to his age maybe something simple and not to dorky looking keep it fresh but refined.
Flag
I think its quite smart
Flag
Still not a fan of the outfit, but I guess I'll have to reserve my judgement until we actually get to see it in action.

Love that their seems to be a general consensus among those working on the series that think this version of the Doctor will be more 'mad and dangerous and difficult' in comparisons to the last couple of regenerations. I guess they naturally want to refer to the most famous Doctor in Tom Baker in comparison, but I found Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy to be much darker versions of the character, so I'm hoping for a Doctor more reminiscent of them myself.

Both the Doctors first and last words and concept art pics were awesome, thanks for that.
Flag
I'm with you I'd really like to see a much darker doctor, a doctor who knows what needs to be done does it and doesn't apologise for it, a doctor who can strike fear into the hearts of those creepy weeping angels.
Flag
A mix of Tom Baker and Sylvester McCoy would be interesting
Flag
I've never had the privilege to watch those who doctors I was late to the doctor who world and came in at the 9th doctor, but a darker doctor has always appealed to me
Flag
oooh, you should check out Tom Baker - he fluctuates between silly, angry, aloof and insane while still being funny
Flag
Baker and McCoy were let down by the BBC - they didn't have faith in the show at the time.
Although, I would argue that Ace was the worst companion ever.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members