A Doctor Who Community
Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC America (Returning Spring 2017)

The Doctor rescues Lt Journey Blue from certain death at the hands of the Daleks - I know, I know...Daleks don't have hands!. Its a turn of phrase, let it go. - this leads to him being asked to "treat" a Dalek who has developed a conscience.

Oh, and he does this by getting miniaturized and going inside the Dalek.

If you've seen the episode, you know how this plays out.

To me, this episode was more about the question, "Am I a good man?"

The Dalek provided an interesting foil for the Doctor - and actually gave us an insight to the Doctors psyche.

What the Dalek took away from that insight wasn't surprising though - this is in its DNA/programming - the insight itself seemed to be more for the viewer.

The Doctor trying to convince the Dalek to see something else means he WANTS to be a good man - which is what he has always wanted in my eyes.

I liked the way Clara seems to be evolving - a bit of a moral compass to the Doctor, best summed up with the line "She cares so I don't have to" - hopefully giving her a meatier role this season, moving away from "The Impossible Girl" arc from last season.

The introduction of Danny Pink could also be a part of this meatier role - right now I'm not sold on Danny though.
He may be another Rory - a good foil for his partner, who adds a different dynamic to the 2 leads relationship - or just another plot device ( Journeys reaction to his name put this thought into my mind )....only time will tell at this point.

We also got a better idea of what the new Doctor may be like going forward - logical, snarky, brutal at times (this might be a strong choice of wording), but all with a bit of swagger, .
Capaldi seemed very comfortable in the role - I like the new grumpy Doctor.

Questions:

* I wonder when exactly this episode takes place?

* Is Danny connected to the humans in the future?

* What did you think of Danny Pink?

* Is this the same equation from 'Deep Breath'?:

* If the rumors are true, should we be looking at guest stars as future companions? Would Journey Blue make a good companion?

*Did anyone else get reminded of the Dalek episode?

Lines of the night:

Journey Blue: Its smaller on the outside

Doctor: fantastic idea for a movie, terrible idea for a proctologist

Clara: I was being funny
Danny: Why?

Doctor: This is gun girl, she's got a gun and she's a girl

*I've used this image in the community feed:

Its from a collection of posters by Radio Times artist Stuart Manning - you can view more of them HERE
31 Comments
Comments (31)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
WildPict i agree, Damn new Doctor!

Bad acting, and bad CGI.
I could have done better CGI in some freeware SW suite.....

Have watched the Doctor since 1974, and every time he regenerates......
Moffets buddys are now in on the char list, and this sux...

Arghhh...... what is next?
Tom Baker was very "out of there" but never to scary for the kids.
Remember, The Doctor is primarily for the kids.

Speeding up to recent days, David Tennant who is this guy? Do i like him?

Mmmmmmm yeaaahhh, pretty cool
BAM next guy, Matt Smith, Do i like him?

MmmmmmmmmNoooooooo YES he was cool.
Took time to win over but then...... cool.

BAM Peter Capaldi..... MMMM mjjjaaaaa hmmmmmmm me thinks not.

Acting?? Scottish you say? (give it a rest.....)
Ok an older doctor as in earlier doctors.....Mjjaaaa lets se...

Peter Capaldi has a lot to show, the same have the manus writers (BRING NEW BLOOD!) and remember the first rule....

It is for the kids.

Step it up fast guys.....

techdude2010
More+
Flag
I thought when the doctor brought Clara and they went into the Dalek's head that somehow Clara would be left behind... and that is how Soufflé girl is got their in the first place...
I did not like Journey blue...
I thought that dr. River will be part of this arc line somehow... I do remember when we first saw her as prof. River, she said something like you were older! so, I thought this is the doctor who she was referring to. I hope we'll see her
Flag
There was some talk that River may turn up at some point - but its not clear if it will be this season or at a later point
Flag
soufflé girl was one of the fractured versions of Clara, think quantum duplicates spread throughout the doctors timeline via his time fracture that is his corps resulting from high amounts of time travel. A personal timeline that has now been altered thanks to the other time lords which was the only way to abort/change his death at trensilor.
Flag
This episode epitomises all thats wrong with the moffat era.The Doctor has spent years being unable to precisely land the tardis in the same place and now in the space of one episode manages to do it twice.Why would the Daleks send a battleship after a fighter.On the plus side the daleks actually justified being in an episode for a change.It needs a far better script to hang the over supply of cgi and other effects on.
Flag
seriously the doctor is no 2000 years old, and has just lived through a 700 year war, the tardis was meant for many pilots, the dude has had the time to think about it and work it out.
Flag
Why would the Daleks send a battleship after a fighter -

The fighter may have just accidentally crossed paths with the battleship
Flag
1) I like this doctor. I can relate to him.
2) Daleks are stupid in every sense. Don't know why they are still digging that rubbish up from the sixties. They do not look scary, they are always dumb as hell (like this one) and the storylines are always the same (rogue Dalek).
3) "Welcome to heaven" that's probably a big part of the seasons arc.
4) I don't like soldiers too.

Flag
"Welcome to heaven" that's probably a big part of the seasons arc. -

I'd say it is definitely THE season arc
Flag
* I liked Journey Blue, I'd love to see her return.
* I think that is the same equation from 'Deep Breath'
* I wondered if Danny was connected to the humans in the future, but even for DW that doesn't seem to make much sense.
* Clearly someone Fantastic Voyage II: Destination Brain... Loved it!

Flag
I wonder if the equation ties into the "Heaven" plot line
Flag
possible, but my bet it has something to do with getting the time lords back into the doctor verse.
Flag
be affraid of me ' ive killed hundreds of time lords.!" Be afraid of me i've killed them all...The Dr's wife....unless of course Moffat gets the series.timey wimey,wibbly wobbly..we trapped them instead he for got about it and he can sense them..(there are no more time lords- who do you know? ..i would sense them in here)..sadly sThe Dro has been killed by the writers...
Flag
ah - possibly one of the "mistakes" he was talking about fixing
Flag
Things to keep in mind about this new season of doctor who, not only a new doctor but the doc is coming out of a700 year long war, and stop with the oh clara is an incomplete character, shes had half a season a 2 episodes up to this point.
Flag
I liked the fact that the doctor had a bit more humour and Clara was not such a black and white figure. Maybe she'll be all right in the end after all. But they'll have to transform her considerably. Best she returns to the way she was in her first appearance.

Flag
I'm just glad they've moved her away from the stuff in the last episode
Flag
Last episode was so all over the place with her.

On one hand, getting confused about meeting an "old" Doctor that acted differently, after getting to know the older War Doctor that acted differently. Oh and remembering bits about his past lives somehow didn't help.

On the other hand: she grew into the role of being able to argue with Vastra, out-thought a million year old Android, and saved their lives at the last minute during the attack.

That was a lot of growth over a single (long) episode.
Flag
Doctor: fantastic idea for a movie, terrible idea for a proctologist I do hope you know he referred toFantastic Voyage, the film based on the book with the same title by Isaac Asimov. A fun read.

Flag
Yep, knew that
Flag
Soldier: "I'll kill you and then have control of your ship."
Doctor: "You'll starve trying to find a light switch."

First scene with the Doctor and the soldiers just too funny. Also really liked the Doctor getting excited when first saw the shrinking machine. That is how I should like my Doctor and science.

12th run in with the doctor I feel like it's like the first time 9th run in with the doctor. (Note: Know nothing about 1-8). I know 11th attacked the Dalek with a wrench or something, but the hate for the Daleks.
Flag
I liked the bit where he to her "No, do it right" until she said please
Flag
lol
Flag
I'm still trying to figure out what I think of this new Doctor and season, but my first comment is that the soundtrack was so loud I couldn't understand half the dialog. Or maybe I'm still half deaf from the concert even though I had earplugs.
Flag
Sound has always been off for me in some way. It's one of the only English spoken series I really need the subtitle to understand what is going on.
Flag
if you watch on your computer or have a decent sound system just adjust the 400 to 800khz range up.
Flag
Thanks for the advice. I use both. They just do not talk clear enough for me. But I'll try to adjust that range next time. I also do not mind having subtitles on my screen, I grew up with them as we air lots of series from different countries in the Netherlands.
Flag
It didn't seem too loud to me.
I liked most of the background music - the pared down use of a piano and some string instruments was a nice change from the full on orchestra they've tended to use for every scene
Flag
If it wasn't too loud, then I was probably still affected by the concert; metal will do that.

I haven't been too crazy about the orchestra they've been using since Planet of the Dead (I think that's the name), it's been distracting. Hopefully they'll be getting away from that.
Flag
I don't think the orchestra actually added much because most of the time the musical choices were so similar
Flag
Follow this Show
Members