A Doctor Who Community
Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC America (Returning "Deep Breath" premiering August 23, 2014)

50 years. 5 decades. 600 Months. 2,600 weeks. 18,262 days. 

According to Google, which obviously helped me do all this math, Doctor Who is OLD. Not as old as the Doctor himself, but old nonetheless. A lot can happen in fifty years, and when the series debuted in 1963, the world was a different place. The Vietnam War was going on, the Beatles had just released their first album in the U.K., the Dodgers were in the World Series, and Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds had only just started terrorizing unsuspecting moviegoers. 

Like I said, fifty years is a long time for humans. But in Doctor years, that's like, a tiny blip, which is why we're counting down in no specific order 50 Fantastic Wibbly-Wobbly Timey-Wimey Doctor Who Things for 50 Years in celebration of Saturday's 50th Anniversary Special "The Day of the Doctor." From our favorite companions, to the Doctor's scariest enemies, from iconic fashion accessories, to fun catchphrases, these are 50 of the best things, moments, characters, monsters, episodes, speeches, anythings in Doctor Who history.

50. Bananas

The Doctor has a thing for them. Ten told Rose that you "always take a banana to a party" and it's still the best advice I've ever received. (Credit)

49. Ginger

(Almost) twelve doctors and not one of them has had red hair. His love for Donna and Amy seems to make a lot more sense all of a sudden; He was jealous! [Credit]

48. John Barrowman + David Tennant Memes

47. Continuity & References

Fifty years is a long freakin' time. And Doctor Who likes to treat its viewers by referencing the large body of work the fandom has grown to be. It's always fun when characters appear and its revealed they're the son/daughter/random relative of a former companion, etc. Like Kate Stewart, who returns in the "The Day of the Doctor." She's the daughter of Brigadier Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart. 

46. Jenny, the Doctor's daughter

Fun fact: The actress who played Jenny, the Doctor's daughter, is Georgia Moffett. She's the daughter of Fifth Doctor Peter Davison, and is married to Tenth Doctor David Tennant. Double the fun fact: Jenny's out there somewhere, just waiting to return, soooo can we get on that?

45. Run!

Needless to say, you can't be a couch potato like myself and also be a companion to the Doctor. There's a lot of running involved. A lot.

44. Whovians

You. Me. John Barrowman. David Tennant. Peter Capaldi. Neil Gaiman. We're all Whovians, aren't we? 

43. Bad Wolf

Rose became the Bad Wolf when she absorbed the Time Vortex in the New Who Series 1 finale (which the Ninth Doctor then absorbed to save her life and then caused his regeneration into the Tenth Doctor). But um, it was cool?

42. Wilf

Donna Noble's grandfather, played by Bernard Cribbins, becomes a companion of the Tenth Doctor for a hot minute. And then knocks four times... 

41. "Midnight"

Also known as "That One Really Creepy Episode No Not the One with the Weeping Angels The Other One" and "The One with Colin Morgan from Merlin."

40. Exterminate!

I don't think this needs any further explanation.

39. The Ponds (And their real life counterparts)

I'm not crying. I'm not crying. [Credit]

38. Raxacoricofallapatorius

Just the best named planet in all of time and space. 

37. The Final Rose/Doctor Scene in "Doomsday"

I don't normally care about the shipping aspects of this series, but if you didn't cry when Rose told Ten she loved him and he was cut off and unable to tell her the same thing, then you have no heart. Thank God that was remedied though ...

36. Rose and the Meta-Crisis Doctor 

... Awwwwwwww. Those two, you guys!

35. Time Lords

Aliens from Gallifrey. The race of the Doctor. They have two hearts and can regenerate. [Credit]

34. Catchphrases!

Allons-y! Fantastic! Geronimo! [Credit]

33. K-9

The best robot dog in all of time and space.

32. The Silence

You can only remember them when you're looking at them (do you think Klaus is a Doctor Who fan?)

31. River Song

First introduced in "Silence in the Library" during the Tennant Era, the Doctor first met River at the end of her life, although she seemed to know him quite well. Time is weird, but the Doctor and River continued to meet out of order and now we know River is the child of Amy Pond and Rory Williams, (her name is actually Melody Pond), and she's also the Doctor's wife. Oh, and she hates spoilers.

30. John Smith

The Doctor's alias (and the human identity first used by the Seventh Doctor, and then revived by the Tenth).

29. The Zygons

They haven't been seen since the '70s, but they're back for "The Day of the Doctor."

28. The Ponds' Farewell

Not every companion gets to choose when she leaves the Doctor, or why they leave the Doctor. But Amy's last moments with Eleven, after Rory had been sent back in time by a Weeping Angel, was one of the saddest farewells of any character. I didn't think anything would make me cry harder than Rose and Ten's last moments in "Doomsday" (see #37), but Amy's farewell to her raggedy Doctor had me bawling like a little girl. And I cried again just now.

27. The Time War

The war between the Time Lords and the Daleks destroyed Gallifrey and all of the Time Lords, save for the Doctor and the Master. It's why the Doctor is now the last of the Time Lords. [Credit]

26. The Doctor's handbag

It matches his outfit smashingly.

25. Torchwood

The Torchwood Institute was created in 1879 by Queen Victoria to rid the British Empire of extraterrestrial threats, especially the Doctor. She was not amused by Rose and Ten's attitude after an encounter with a werewolf, had them knighted and then banned them from Great Britain. Fair enough, I suppose. Russel T. Davies later expanded Torchwood into a darker, more adult spin-off series with Captain Jack Harkness (See #15) at the center. "Children of Earth" was great, but we're still going to pretend "Miracle Day" never happened. Fun fact: Torchwood is an anagram of Doctor Who. Boom.

24. The Doctor in the United States

The first scenes ever filmed in the United States were filmed in Utah for the Series 6 premiere

23. Time Lord Science

Makes sense to me!

22. Rassilon

Founder of the Time Lord civilization, he was really kind of a dick. 

21. Tom Baker's scarf

The Fourth Doctor's scarf is probably the most iconic and recognizable piece of clothing from the series. We all know that bowties and fezzes are cool now, but this long, multi-colored scarf is the unofficial official Doctor Who accessory. (There are approximately 333,333 different Etsy stores where you can buy one,)

20. The Master

Also kind of a dick, and the arch-nemesis of the Doctor. But the Master and the Doctor were once childhood besties, and he's so much evil fun you kind of just love him, right? Plus, it was Rassilon's fault he'd been driven mad, soooooo all is forgiven?! (Which version of the Master was your favorite?)

19. You can go inside the TARDIS on Google Maps

Just click the double arrows and you can stroll around inside. 

18. "Are you my mummy?"

Reason #84,567 why children are creepy.

17. Sarah Jane Smith

Believed by many to be the best companion of all time, it's kind of hard to argue with that logic. She also had her own spin-off The Sarah Jane Adventures, after guest-starring during the David Tennant era. Sadly, Elisabeth Sladen passed away in 2011 and the universe wept.

16. Historical figures

Being able to travel in time and space means the Doctor inevitably meets famous historical figures including Adolf Hitler, Winston Churchill, Vincent Van Gogh, and Richard Nixon.

15. Captain Jack Harkness

How does one begin to describe Captain Jack Harkness? He's a time-traveler from the future made immortal kind of by accident. He's pretty much into anything; man, woman, alien, you name it. He headed up the Cardiff branch of Torchwood until, well, things happened. And he's played by John Barrowman. So Captain Jack > 99.98 percent of things.

14. Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All

The Doctor speaks baby. Naturally.

13. Cybermen 

One of the main foes of the Doctor, the Cybermen are creepy in how they turn humans into cyberpeople. But listen, they're kind of slow and I don't really get why they're such a threat. Do you ever see a running Cyberman? No. I'm just saying, that they'd be scarier if they could chase you. They're also not very stealthy?

12. Sexy

In "The Doctor's Wife," the TARDIS became a woman, and it was brilliant. This episode was written by Neil Gaiman, a huge Whovian. 

11. Donna Noble

After two companions fell in love with the Doctor's charms (one requited, one not), Donna freaking Noble was a breath of fresh air. Played by comedienne Catherine Tate, Donna was loud, she was funny, and she was the Doctor's BFF. Also, this: “There are people living in the light, and singing songs of Donna Noble, a thousand, million light years away. They will never forget her, while she can never remember. And for one moment, one shining moment, she was the most important woman in the whole wide universe.” Don't worry, I brought plenty of tissues.

10. The Weeping Angels

Before Steven Moffat took over from Russell T. Davies and basically turned all of our brains to absolute mush, he gave us the most terrifying gift in the form of the Weeping Angels, who can only move when no one is looking at them (which is pretty much all the time) and kill their victims by sending them into the past to live out the rest of your days without family and friends. "Blink" was one of the most confusing and terrifying episodes the series has ever done. But it's also one of the best. P.S. Moffat, here are my therapy bills. 

9. Gallifrey

The home of the Time Lords, it was destroyed during the Last Great Time War.

8. Regeneration

No one really expected the series to live this long, so originally it was said Time Lords could regenerate only 12 times, resulting in thirteen incarnations. Once it became clear this limited the series, the Doctor said he could actually regenerate 507 times on The Sarah Jane Adventures. That seems a bit extreme (though the numbers add up to 12), but I'm just going to go with it. 

7. Doctor Who Theme

Iconic and instantly recognizable to Whovians everywhere, it's been tinkered with over the years, but it's still mostly the same.

6. Daleks

The arch enemy to end all arch enemies, the Daleks are kind of the worst. They fought against the Time Lords in the Time War and even though the Doctor's like, "The Daleks are all gone!" GUESS WHAT? THERE ARE ALWAYS MORE DALEKS. ALWAYS. 

5. Russell T. Davies

We should probably all be thanking him right now, for without him, we wouldn't be where we are today. He brought Doctor Who back to life with Christopher Eccleston in 2005. 

4. Sonic Screwdriver

Many people forget that Doctor Who was and is essentially a show for children. And the Doctor is a hero whose weapon of choice is a sonic screwdriver. A SCREWDRIVER. God bless. P.S. It does not work on wood. (Credit)

3. The TARDIS

The Doctor's time machine, It stands for Time and Relative Dimension in Space. And she's bigger on the inside-or smaller on the outside, depending on the way you look at it. Stuck as a Police Box due to a broken chameleon circuit, we always thought the Doctor stole her, but she kind of stole him too. (She also gave new meaning to the "something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue" rhyme for weddings in "The Big Bang".) [Credit]

2. The Doctor

Arguably the most innovative character to ever grace television (Oh, the actor wants out? Boom, the Doctor can regenerate and we can recast the role so the show can live forever and ever and ever! Seriously, brilliant idea, guys!) the Doctor's ability to regenerate is only half the reason the series has lasted 50 years. The other half, of course, are ...

1. The Companions

They're the other half of the Doctor Who puzzle, and the series would be nothing without them. The companions travel through space and time with the Doctor, and they're usually the one who ends up saving his ass, especially from himself. In the "Wedding of River Song," Eleven said, "My friends have always been the best of me,” and from Sarah Jane and Jo Grant, to Donna Noble, K-9, and Tegan, the Doctor is right, and he wouldn't be where he is today without them.

(P.S. Amy Pond is the best companion. Come at me, bro.)

What are your favorite episodes, moments, characters, gadgets, monsters, etc. from the last 50 years of Doctor Who?

87 Comments
Follow this Show
Members