A Doctor Who Community
Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC America

UPDATE: It's official! Peter Capaldi has been revealed as the Twelfth Doctor!

Ever since that fateful day in June when Matt Smith broke our hearts and announced that he'd be departing Doctor Who after this year's Christmas special, fans have been hotly debating the topic of who has the talent and presence to fill his shoes. The waiting has come to an end. During a live special on BBC America today, the show's creative team announced that Peter Capaldi has been cast as the Twelfth Doctor.

Though not necessarily instantly recognizable to Americans, Capaldi should be familiar to Doctor Who fans, as he guest-starred in "The Fires of Pompeii" (as did Karen Gillan, who later went on to star as Smith's first companion Amy Pond) and also appeared in Torchwood: Children of Earth. More recently, he starred in the BBC's The Hour alongside Ben Whishaw, whom many had hoped would be cast in the coveted Doctor role. Capaldi is notably older than his predecessors at age 55, but in the grand scheme of things, it's not really all that weird. In fact, Smith's casting at age 26 was the exception, not the norm. 

Now, before we jump to conclusions about whether or not Capaldi will ever be able to fill the voids in our hearts left by those who came before him, let's all step inside my homemade TARDIS and journey back into time and space for a bit. 

It's October of 2008 and David Tennant has just announced he's stepping down as the Tenth Doctor after three seasons full of wonderful adventures. Fans everywhere cry rivers of tears for months and months while declaring that no one can ever replace Tennant as their Doctor. When Matt Smith is announced as the unlucky man who must follow in Tennant's Chuck Taylor-ed footsteps, the internet again erupts into chaos. "He's too young!" they shout. "He looks funny!" they say (also I might be remembering things incorrectly?). Legions of fans take to Tumblr to dissect every single nugget they can dig up about this new guy. And then Season 5 premieres and the world falls in love with the quirky, spastic, fez-wearing, fish-fingers-and-custard-eating Eleven.

Fast forward a few years and we've come a long way since then. There's been a lot of waiting, a lot of remarking that certain things are cool now, The Silence, the mystery of River Song, and plenty of running. Yes, our hearts broke when Amy Pond (Karen Gillan) and Rory Williams (Arthur Darvill) were touched by an angel and transported back in time to the middle of the seventh season, but their time had come and we tearfully said goodbye. And now we must do the same with Matt Smith's version of the Doctor.

Just like all those who came before him, Smith wormed his way into our hearts, and Eleven now resides comfortably next to Tennant's angry Ten. And though it's perfectly fine to remain cautious about Capaldi, we have to remember that all this has happened before and will happen again—oops, wrong science-fiction series. Regardless, the notion still stands: Until we have reason to believe otherwise, let's accept that Steven Moffat and the producers of Doctor Who know what's best for the show. Yes, it will be different. Yes, it will be a completely new incarnation. But that's kind of what makes Doctor Who so great, right? Who's to say we won't be writing depressing Tumblr posts about Capaldi's Doctor's departure in a few years' time?

thekaitling:list:what-do-you-think-of-peter-capaldis-casting/

What do YOU think of Peter Capaldi's casting?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 12/5/2015

Season 9 : Episode 12

460 Comments
Comments (460)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I am so excited about the change-up for the Doctor! Its great that the new Doctor will be older and takes the show back to its classic roots. I just wish the Doctor would get his wish to have a regeneration with ginger hair. But I'm also a little nervous, since this (or the next) will deal with the appearance of the Valyard. I'm wondering if the John Hurt version of the Doctor is him. I've been looking forward to that arc since I first saw the Trial of a Timelord. The Valyard scared the Master, and that scares me, but in a good way. That storyline could be so epic!

As to the whole question about the Doctor becoming female, that never made any sense to me (btw, I'm a strong independent female science geek). From what I understand about the regeneration process, it is how Gallifreyans heal catastrophic damage to their bodies. The process supposedly involves their entire being, including their personalities; after all, the brain is also regenerated. However, how would a regenerated body lose or add the "y" or "x" chromosome that would be necessary to change genders. If Gallifreyans started out as androgynous beings, I could see it. But at no time has that been ever mentioned in any of the BBC shows, at least none that I've seen, and I've seen every DW show that the PBS stations broadcast from the late 70s through the early 90s. Several of the classic episodes had the Doctor going back to Gallifrey, and all of the Timelords, as well as the Gallifreyans outside of Timelord society, were either male or female. And they regenerated within those genders. Romana always regenerated into a female Timelord (she controlled her regenerations) and the Rani was always known to be female. If I've missed an episode where a change in gender was noted, please let me know, because I would love to watch the episode and be proven wrong...just because I love watching DW for all of the amazing possibilities that can happen in the DW universe.
More+
Flag
In Doctor Who Season 6 Episode 4 "The Doctor's Wife", the Corsair is mentioned to have regenerated into males and females.
Flag
How awesome that he was a WHO doctor in World War Z? I know, I know I'm late to the party. But it's still awesome!

I normally don't watch Doctor Who, I only watched the Eccles series, but I may give this one a try, because I like this guy.

Flag
oh my... this almost got more comments than teen wolf... go, Capaldi, go! LOL
Flag
Gonna be honest, my main problem with post-Tennant is the writing. If Moffat changes his approach, then I'm 100% on board. I would not call myself a fan of seasons 5-7
Flag
Perfect - bout time we got someone other than a kid to play The Doctor! Can't wait!
Flag
Yeah. I hope they will do lots of camera work with his eyes. I just enjoy the way Capaldi can perform an act just with some eye gestures.
Flag
"Doctor Who: And the Twelfth Doctor Is..." Matt Smith's great grandfather.
Flag
As long as there are good story lines I will still enjoy. There doesn't have to be a romance theme. Glad a male has been cast. I just can't see a woman as the doctor.No I am not being sexist. The new Doctor Who series has has some strong female characters so womens lib has not been forgotten so to speak.
Flag
sure you're sexist... just as saying that the doctor needs to remain white is racist. you're allowed to have those opinions, but don't kid yourself about their nature.
Flag
No, it’s not sexist to suggest that changing The Doctor’s gender would be too big a change from the archetype.
Flag
how is it "too big a change from the archetype"? it's just genitals, they very rarely (/never?) play a role in doctor who anyway. anything beyond genitals is just your limited idea of what it means to be female and that's what I call sexist, because it denies individuality. nothing in the doctor's character is related to having a penis, nothing. and even if you want to take a stereotypical idea of what people call "male attributes", can you actually point to any of that in the doctor that is consistent in every incarnation?
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
the rainbow-daleks *sigh... I think you're talking about the confidential episode, right? I'm really not sure if what moffat said in there was actually his opinion though, I got the feeling that the idea for the new daleks came from somewhere else (maybe I even read that somewhere?) and he was just putting on a brave face. I mean, they were redesigned, they had to be build, which I'm sure wasn't all that cheap to do and yet we have never seen them on screen again since. that says alot if you ask me. on the other hand maybe I was just subconsciously defending him at that point because I desperately wanted his era to be awesome. I loved his earlier stories as well. looking at them now, I'm pretty sure what made them so outstanding was that moffat was working with russel t davies on them, not on his own. the balance of the two of them was genius.

oh yes, I've seen firefly. countless times. I watch everything joss whedon is involved in, my love for what he does is pretty much unconditional at this point. and his shows are a good example of how to do the inclusive kind of storytelling I was talking about right and mainstream(ish). I'm not saying his way is perfect (you could still do a lot more), but it's way better than the seperate-fountain-approach that seems to be favoured by the white-hetero-male-demographic, where you're able to pretend we nons don't exist in a serious fashion, merely as background decoration. that's not how life works, we're everywhere. and I think it's about time that the mainstream-media reflects that.
More +
Flag
I’ll have to take a look. It’s been a long time since I saw the old 70s episodes. I know what you mean about suddenly putting the doctors sexuality in the show. That was another break from the archetype I wasn’t too fond of. The age gap this was a bit odd. Though I do enjoy the character River Song, most of the genuinely funny lines tend to either come from, or reference her.
I’ve been a bit baffled generally since Moffat took over. I really liked the episodes he wrote in the Tennant ear but it’s like he went a bit mad with the power and just wanted to change everything and put his stamp on it. I saw him in an interview regarding the new Daleks. I’ve tried googling the exact quote but I can’t find it so I’ll paraphrase. “We’ve changed, the doctor, we’ve changed the TARDIS. What’s the one thing we haven’t changed? The Daleks.” The arrogance of the comment really blew me away.

I didn’t know what you meant regarding Moffat’s ability to write a good female character (I think Alex Kingston’s acting ability blinded me) but you’re right. He essentially has one stereotype that he carbon copies and tweaks.

PS, regarding Nathan Fillion. You have seen Firefly right?
More +
Flag
oh yeah, castle is just wasted opportunities left, right and center. I gave up on that fairly early, even though I'm willing to put up with a lot in order to have nathan fillion on the screen. it just didn't feel right to be bored out of my mind at the same time.

and yes, the problem with female leads in mainstream media is, that they're written by men and for men. if they give a woman a gun, they damn well make sure that she also wears high heals and a short skirt, so nobody gets nervous. 'cause as long as you can sexualise a woman, everything's in order. and like I said before, that's why I'm glad they didn't go for a female actor on doctor who this time, because she would've been written by stephen moffat. and we know by now what that means, because he's able to write exactly one female character and she is a sexual fantasy/mystery, not much more. I absolutely agree, that a casting out of the box shouldn't be done for political reasons (alone), look at the black characters or the gay characters (we already covered the women) on recent who, they're just there to be there. they're written without an ounce of understanding or love and it shows, it's cringeworthy.

if we finally get a female doctor at some point and she runs around in a short skirt and a pink purse, searching the galaxy for a nifty deal on shoes, I'd turn my tv just as off as you would. but clearly that's not what I'm talking about. for me, the bodies the doctor gets during the regenerations are more like clothes... it's just what he/she is wearing right now, it's not what defines the doctor. what defines the doctor is at the core.

as for his bisexuality, I'm not saying it's official, you can make of it what you want. it's actually designed for exactly that purpose, which I think is wonderful. rather than just shoving it into everyone's faces, so that every other possibility just vanishes. the classic series was way more sophisticated in that area and did a lot for gays, lesbians and bisexuals and women in general for that matter (naturally, because there were a lot of women and gay men behind the scenes back then) and they did it by just dropping hints and making suggestions and leaving it up to you to flesh it out. one of the strongest examples is probably the homoromantic/-erotic/superkinky relationship between the doctor and the master. if your curious, just watch some of the old episodes with that implication in the back of your mind and you'll see how a whole new world opens up. :)

I think stephen moffats demonstrations of the doctor's heterosexuality are just plain stupid, boring and completely unnecessary and in some parts of the show even disturbingly creepy. I would love for the show to turn back to just leaving it up to the audience to decide what goes on in the tardis at night.
More +
Flag
For me, a change of gender would be a far greater leap from (what in my mind) is the established archetype. A change in skin colour wouldn’t be. As for male traits, I think it’s very difficult to label a trait as male or female. The main trait is him always being a man. You may disagree but there was never any indication in the old series that timelords or ladies changed sex, as I recall there was one scene where Roman regenerated several times and she always came out a woman. As for insulting bisexual people. I don’t think it was really implied that the Doc was bisexual. I assume you’re referring to his interactions with Jack. I always took it that at over 900 years old, he was over any thoughts of homophobia and was fine getting a snog off a bloke.
As far as TV target audiences goes, I don’t think most of it is targeted at heterosexual white men. The majority of it simply has to tick two boxes. “Mass appeal” and “cheap to make” That’s why we’re now flooded with reality TV, house makeover programs and cookery programs. However if we limit the sample to films and proper TV with an actual plot, I agree with you. Even things like Nikita in the US feels like it’s aimed at men despite the lead and many supporting characters being female. I agree that there should be TV with wider appeal but I’d just rather the BBC made a new original IP rather than regenerating the Doctor as a woman. I think part of the problem at least is that the majority of writers are white heterosexual men and it’s generally much easier to write what you know.
I know where you’re coming from when you say that things need to change and adapt to keep interesting. I agree that some things need to change. I’m not sure if you’ve seen it or not but the show Castle could have been excellent (Nathan Fillion rocks) however the plot is essentially the same every week, same as it is with a lot of successful US TV. It’s almost like the writers have a template that they’re unwilling or unable to change. However change for chances sake can also be bad. Take the BBCs Merlin, they changed so much of the core of the legend (granted there are different versions) that it was so far removed from its roots that it was unrecognisable. Personally I think the best change is plot driven change. Take Game of Thrones, the narrative is in a constant form of change and as a result it’s always interesting.
More +
Flag
oh please, don't worry about being insulting. this is the most civilised discussion I've ever had with a guy who disagrees with me on this kind of stuff on the internet. usually, they just bark at me and then run away. hardly any of them ever engages and puts some effort into making an actual point. I really appreciate that you're taking the time to dig into this.
you're still wrong though and here's why: I absolutely agree with your description of the doctor's character, very nicely done. none of those things are male though. so the only real argument you make is that he should remain male because he's been male for 50 years now. on the one hand I wonder why this argument works in your mind against a female doctor but not against a black doctor. why is that? and considering that he's an alien who by pure chance can turn into absolutely anything during a regeneration, isn't it mindblowingly silly that he without fail seems to magically turn into a white dude every single time? on the other hand there's this: nothing cool ever happened by everyone going "let's leave everything exactly as it is." standing still get's us nowhere. and doctor who is already a good example of that, if there's one constant in the show, it's change. casting someone who isn't a white dude is just an extended expression of the show's heart.
calling a genderchange silly considering the romantic implications is a bit of a slap into the faces of bisexual people. and the bisexual nature of the doctor is already more than implied so I don't see any problems with that either.
about the 10 year old, yes, that's ageist. it wouldn't be something I'd root for either (I generally don't like children) and probably something I wouldn't enjoy, but who knows? someone might come along and make it work somehow. still I'm aware that my prejudice opinion about this is rooted in ageism. I just don't feel ashamed about it, because my reasons justify my opinion enough for me to be just fine with the label.
for the next bit I'm going to assume that you're a white heterosexual man. I'm sure you're a heterosexual man, the whiteness of your skin I'm going to assume (and if I'm wrong, just be a proxy for a sec). next to all of tv and movies are made for you. have you ever imagined what it would be like to watch tv and movies while being a nonwhite, nonheterosexual, nonmale? I'm ticking 2 of those boxes. next to none of tv and movies are made for me and people like me. or any other combination of the nons. we outnumber you easily, yet on tv and in movies we're pretty much nonexistent (look up the "bechdel test" on female presence in movies as an example of what I mean, it's easy to convert it to all the other nons). that doesn't stop us from watching though, it just forces us to learn some skills to MAKE it for us. we translate. we're suckers for subtext and hints and hidden secrets full of potential that might be relevant to us. you don't have to do any of that, you just sit back and enjoy. and you don't want that to change. white heterosexual men are equivalent to the spoiled only child, getting all the attention. it feels threatened by the idea that that could ever change and it doesn't want to share its toys.
all I really want to say is this though: don't be afraid of new stuff. things that haven't been done before are always more interesting than things that have been done to death already.
More +
Flag
(This is a bit long)
The archetype has been established over 50 years. A renegade Time Lord wondering the fourth dimension. He’s always, been a little arrogant, always been a little mischievous, always favours brains over brawn, always had a strong moral compass, he’s always been a bit mysterious, always had a little darkness in him and for 12 (now 13) regenerations always been a man. This is what I see him as, I grew up in the 80’s and was a massive fan of the old series, I had nearly all the VHS tapes that were available. Doctor Who was part of my childhood and I have my own personal opinion now of what traits The Doctor should have. Add to that the fact that Time Lords reproduce and have a grandfather granddaughter relationship (both titles which denote gender. With the newer series they’ve lobbed in sexual/romantic attraction over regenerations which makes the concept of gender change even sillier. Now if the BBC want to somehow bring Romana back and give her a spin-off show I'd be all for that and I'd recommend Felicia Day for the role.

It is not discriminatory at times to say that you prefer to see a GP who is the same sex as you, it’s what you feel comfortable with, nor is it decimation to say that a man should play a role that has been established as a man. If the beeb said that the next regeneration was going to be a 10 year old boy and I said that it’s silly to regenerate him so young as it doesn’t fit in with the established character. Am I being ageist? If I said that I don’t like programs with a woman as the main character, that could be fairly perceived as a little sexist. In that case I think there would be a little space for debate on both sides. But saying that a woman doesn’t fit the characteristics of a role that has been established over 50 years really isn’t.

I’m going to get on my soapbox for a minute, and I really hope this doesn’t come across as insulting because I respect your defence of your gender. Sexism is unfortunately still an issues in the country, and an issues that should be rigorously challenged when it arises. However nothing that has been said here is sexist and saying that it is diminishes the perceived severity of actual sexism. Women being left off all UK bank notes was sexist (arguably harmless but still sexist, I’d have put Sylvia Pankhurst on myself) women being paid less than men for the same job is sexist. People who say men are less compassionate than women or vice versa are being sexist. Sadly there's a lot of real sexism about.

On a more on topic note about the comedy. I know what you mean but I’d like to seen more of the style of comedy you get from Joss Whedon in buffy/angel/firefly or Moffat/Gatiss do in Sherlock.

More +
Flag
@msales: how is saying that women shouldn't even be considered to play the doctor not descriminating? and what's the reason you're fine with another skin colour but not with another set of genitals? you're very vague about that. what's the actual reason? how exactly would it "change the archetype" at all? as far as I know the doctor's genitals have never been part of his character. as for the silliness of the show, I don't know, I always liked it. love the darker moments as well, but you can't go all dark all the time, ballance is a good thing and when done right it can enrich both the silly and the dark moments.
Flag
To be sexist it has to be discriminatory, if the common definition doesn’t cover that then the common definition is wrong. (We may just have to disagree on this point) As for cannon, I never said it wasn’t cannon. In fact I knew it was (though in fairness only because Moffat mentioned it on that BBC program the other day). I said I think it’d be silly. The Tellytubby Daleks are now cannon, I still can’t stand them. As for a CGI alien Doctor, god I hope not, as for black. That would work fine as long as the actor was picked on his merits rather than the beeb wanting to be PC. Lennie James would be awesome.
Flag
@msales: of course you're entitled to your opinion, I'm not going to take anything away from you. going by the common definition of the word "sexism" your opinion is still sexist though. you have an opinion about whether or not a person would be suitable to play the doctor solely based on their gender, without having any more information to consider. that's sexism, look it up. it's also sexism when it's about men btw. it goes both ways. and I'm sorry, I have to correct you again: that the doctor indeed can change gender during a regeneration was officially made canon, both by russel t davies and neil gaiman. it is absolutely possible for him to change gender or skin colour, he could even change form entirely and become something other than human (although I think that'll be hard to pull off... but give the evolution of cgi-art a few more years and who knows?). we do however agree that Peter Capaldi was an excellent choice and I'm very excited to see if they take advantage of all the wonderful potential he brings along with him.
Flag
I didn't say he needed to be white either.
Flag
never said you did
Flag
Not sure if trolling Whade,but there's nothing wrong with enjoying a character the way it has been for nearly fifty years. Please keep your feminist drivel to yourself if you can't discuss the show on its own merits. If anything you're the sexist one for pushing a gender change on a character that really doesn't require it.
Flag
I'm actually glad, they didn't cast a woman this time around. stephen moffat couldn't make it right. you're assuming a lot of things I never said and so's everybody else who commented on this. just read it as it is, there's nothing more to it.
Flag
Myeah, Amy certainly wasn't a well developed and independent character compared to the likes of Rose or Martha :/
Flag
It's not sexist or racist... what are you saying? If i say : The new superman should be played by a white actor and not an asian, indian or black person. This is my oppinion and there's nothing racist about it, i'm not judging these person by their skin, i just want to stay faithfull to the original character.
Flag
Im glad they went with an older actor (tho would have also liked it a bit more if the dr did become female). and come on ppl there doesn't have to be a romantic connection for the show to be entertaining (for New Who: 10th + Donna). But I think im hoping more for better storylines I was quite disappointed in this past season.

I know this has prob been said in one of the 400+ comments below but wasn't Capaldi in Torchwood S3 as that Prime Minister who was sacrificing those kids to the aliens? (so in other words a main character) I wonder if there will be a little reference to that (tho prob not)
Flag
Staff
I'm SUPER excited about this casting. I've been wanting an older Doctor for a while now.
Flag
I am totally going to start watching the show again. For whatever bias I just couldn't get into Smith's doctor.
Flag
Staff
He's not my favorite one either.
Flag
Same age as No 1, if that's not important in the grand scheme of things I'd be surprised.

Flag
One of the main attraction of the doctor is the romance between him and is companion, but this actor is not feet for it :(
Flag
I am not into DW for any romance stories. However, I have to say it is a pitty that the whole of last year was so badly organized, because there was a teaser of a romantic relationship with Clara that sort of made sense with this Smith doctor, and apparently it was being dragged delayed into a second season of the same that never happened because Smith left. Too bad, Clara was a lot better and funnier than Rose (sorry Rose fans). However, this will be fine. The Doctor is not meant to have silly romances all the time, because he is toooo old for that kids!! Let other characters carry that part of the show, it will be for the best... !! :)
Flag
actually I would call that a boring and already way overused cliche. but I'm all for the sci fi anyway...
Flag
There has only been one that could be considered a (slight) romance and thats Rose, the rest have been either unrequited (Martha) or completely platonic (everyone else)
Flag
Staff
Agreed. It's really rare in the series as a whole (including classic) where the companion & the Doctor have a love story. Rose is the biggest one that pops into my head.
Flag
Except that's totally not true. I'm sorry but if there's one show on earth that is not, and shouldn't ever be, all about shipping and romance, it's Doctor Who.
Flag
I know that this is a true statement but I think a lot of the new (female?) fans are looking for that
(also please note I don't want to start some lame forum fight, and that I to am a fan, who is a girl, and I am not looking for romantic storylines in this show)
Flag
Can anyone tell me when the new season will start?
Flag
Staff
The Christmas Special is in November but I don't know if we have a date for the next full season yet.
Flag
The special in November is the 50th anniversary special. The christmas special is on Christmas day....
Flag
Staff
Oh right, duh. That's absolutely right.
Flag
Capaldi will be introduced in the Christmas Day episode and I would guess that the new series will start in April.
Flag
Staff
April is WAY too far away! ;)
Flag
50th anniversary special is on Saturday 23rd November
Then the Christmas special on Christmas day
Flag
Fine.

Hopefully, though, new Doctor also means new Tardis.
Flag
Staff
The TARDIS does change with the tone of the show so I imagine we'll see a new look for it soon.
Flag
possibly. I think they did just spend a lot of money on the new TARDIS interior, and Tennants console was inherited. Who knows...
Flag
Staff
I've read essays on how the TARDIS console changes with the theme of the show - it's darker when the show is darker, brighter when it's happier. But I do think often it's only tiny changes. I bet we won't see a new one THIS season, but maybe next!
Flag
When I heard he was fav with the bookies I thought they would never get a actor as great as Peter as the Doctor.

I am so pleased that they did, he is an actor who can play the baddie, the goodie and the comic with equal skill and aplomb. I think the Whoniverse will be in safe hands for a few years.

I can't wait for the next series
Flag
How does a person become favorite with the bookies? If they put him on top, it's hard to believe that they didn't have some inside information.
Flag
So, weirdly, my biggest concern is that Clara is now just going to be a retread of Rose. Like, she will be around for a bit with the new doctor but can't get past the change - even if she more than anyone knows that the Doctor isn't really the person she sees - but she and and Eleven, well, you know. I oddly kind of hope that whatever that place was she and the Doctor were at the end, she can somehow stay there with her Doctor than retread the Rose story. I like Clara too much for that.
Flag
I think this will be so much better than Rose. Rose was a great character ruined for me by making her a romantic interest for the Doctor.

With Matt Smith there's been a lot of flirting between the Doctor and Clara but they're much more like brother and sister really, and with Capaldi's Doctor, YES she'll have to spend a few episodes getting used to the change, but then so does the audience, and the whole point of having a companion is for someone through whose eyes the audience can discover anything.

And guess what: Every time there's been a regeneration witnessed by existing companions we've seen companions get used to it. Peri had the biggest ordeal from seeing the Doctor sacrifice himself to save her one episode, and then try to strangle her the next. It's the most interesting thing about regeneration. I wouldn't write that off as a retread, especially not a retread of such a recent example of a fundamental feature of the programme.
Flag
Staff
It's true! It's really rare that a companion sees a regeneration and then decides they just can't handle it & leaves. In fact, has that EVER happened? Even Peri stuck with him after he tried to kill her!
Flag
In fact Peri almost stuck around for two regenerations, but no-one, not even Peri can resist the opportunity to marry Brian Blessed. :)
Flag
Staff
I'm kind of over Clara to be honest. I feel like since she knew all the Doctors she'll be able to handle the change well (better than most). But I think her story line was really tied up nicely last season. I'm okay with some change!
Flag
I'm a bit worried because, apart from Christopher Eccleston, this is the first regeneration where I think the new doctor is going to be good. I wasn't looking forward to David Tennant and I definitely didn't want Matt Smith on board, but was proved wrong on both points. I hope I'm not wrong this time too.
BUT Peter Capaldi is a great actor and if he gets the right material, I'm confident he'll be the best doctor yet.
Flag
Forgive me but because I'm Scottish, AND an Olympic standard user of swear words, as well, I will forever associate Peter with his role as Malcolm of In The Thick of It. I do wish him well though, nice to see someone from Possilpark land a good job. Well, any job really... if you're fae Possill....
http://thejaggythistle.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/and-new-doctor-who-is-malcolm.html
Flag
Capaldi was, hands down, the best thing in "The Thick of It" - effing hilarious, should have been nominated for an Oscar for it. Now way will he go all H.A.M. like that as the Doctor... but wouldn't that be the coolest thing ever!?
Flag
Haven't seen any of his work but I'm still confident that he'll be a great Doctor. It's going to be interesting to see how the dynamic between Clara and the Doctor is going to change as they've had their fair share of flirty conversations.

Matt Smith and Karen Gillan had marvellous chemistry and the chemistry between Smith and Coleman has been great as well. I don't care about romantic chemistry. It is not needed but I don't mind the fun flirty conversations like in the Snowmen... As long as it's fun and more importantly... As long as it has the Doctor Who feeling.
Flag
I thought the same thing about Clara, I loved the flirting with 11, hmmmm
Flag
Peter Capald at 55 years old is the same age as William Hartnell when he was casted for the role. Hartnell looked much older but it made have been the B/W TV. Don't know him, never heard of him but again I had not ever heard of any of them but Davison before they became the Doctor. A wait and see as always. Doctor Who fan you can check out his performances in The Fires of Pompeii and Torchwood Children of Earth. Just thankful it is still going to be on. Like him or not the fans must support him or it will be as it was when Tom Baker left and we will see the show put to an end. As long as we fans support the show there will be other Doctors, they will get around the 12 regererations somehow. Some will like them, some wiill not but there will always be another one. As fans our job is to support the show and keep the production on line with the storyline as beast as we can. Capald has a major job ahead of him and the best we as fans can do is pray for him.
Flag
Hartnell looked older because he was wearing a white wig. He also had health issues towards the end of his time which did rather age his performance.
Flag
I think he's going to be cool. He looks like he could play a really friendly and inspiring doctor. I'm looking foward to seeing how he'll form his character.
Flag
I find it a little disturbing that there has to be a romantic link between the doctor and companion in a lot of people`s eyes? with Pertwee and Jo it was a father/daughter kind of thing, what`s wrong with that? Clara won`t be around forever is my prediction, and River will be introduced full-time is my wish! she`s a brilliant fit into the universe. If the guy`s a brilliant actor then he WILL be the doctor as he`s going to convince you he is! give the guy a chance! glad it`s an older actor, it`s not twilight, thankfully!
Flag
So, Malcolm Tucker is the new Doctor. Hmm. This could be very interesting.... I personally hope they embrace the imaginative swearing that he was so hilarious as delivering in The Thick of It/In the Loop.
Flag
Staff
Me too!
Flag
I'm sure Peter Capaldi will be good as the Doctor, as I have yet to be disappointed with any of the casting choices so far since the new series began in 2005.

Aside from the fact that he played John Frobisher in "Torchwood: Children Of Earth" (and I'm wondering if they'll make Capaldi look completely different in his role as the Doctor so as not to require some explanation as to why the two characters look alike), I'm wondering if either of the following issues will be addressed in the series.

1) River Song

I loved River's interaction with Matt Smith's Doctor (as well as during her first appearance during David
Tennant's reign). If River returns (which is a strong possibility), how do you think she'll react to a more mature Doctor? Would she be as flirtatious?

River occasionally teased the Doctor for looking physically younger than her. In the 7th season episode, she says: "When one's in love with an ageless god who insists on the face of a twelve-year-old, one does one's best to hide the damage."

However, with Peter Capaldi in the role, the dynamic is obviously going to be different in the sense that it won't have have that "older-cougar-chasing-young-stud" feel to it, given that Capaldi is 5 years older than actress Alex Kingston.

It's hinted in the series that there were offscreen rendez-vous meetings between River and the 11th Doctor, but is it possible that perhaps some of her romance was also with the 12th Doctor?

On another message board, someone even speculated that once Clara leaves the Doctor, perhaps River may become the new full-time companion?

In her first appearance, River mentions how the Doctor turned up on her doorstep with a "new haircut and suit" shortly before she was destined to meet her fate at the Great Library (which the 10th Doctor and Donna are to visit). Should we assume it was the 11th Doctor who visited her...or could it have been the 12th Doctor instead? It is during this visit that he is supposed to give River his sonic screwdriver.

2) The Valeyard

Fans who watched the original Dr. Who series will remember that the Doctor is eventually supposed to become the villainous figure of the Valeyard, who is an amalgamation of the darker sides of his 12th and final incarnations

I wonder if this played any part in Steven Moffat's decision to cast an older actor as the Doctor? Personally, I don't think a younger actor in his 20s would have been as convincing as the cunning, sinister Valeyard.

More+
Flag
Well, one notable thing River did say to Tenant's Doctor was 'this was the youngest she ever saw him.' I guess that was our first clue that we would be getting an older Doctor again soon. So it would make sense now for her to interact with this older Doctor.
Flag
I like the idea of River being a companion, and yes I would think that maybe there was romance between her and the 12th doctor, as she knows a lot more about him than even he realizes :)
Flag
River Song is the only Companion I wouldn't mind seeing the Doctor in a relationship with, after all, they're married. :)
Flag
Wouldn't they be great together? I Think so too...
Flag
I'm not exactly happy with their choice but I'll give him a chance.
Flag
Not happy with this choice. Although I'm glad they've gone for an older actor, there was no shortage of better options. If he doesn't impress in the first episode, I'll have to give Doctor Who a miss, which is a shame seeing as I've been watching since I was little. I hope he doesn't dissapoint.
Flag
Are there really that many people who think "Robot," "Time and the Rani," or "Rose" were their respective Doctor's best stories? If the first episode has to impress you for you to keep watching, I'd venture to say you're not really a Doctor Who fan and no one will miss you.
Flag
@vicbjones - the world is a varied place and fans of things vary too. Your reply smacks of the eliteism that makes me baulk at calling myself a fan of this show.

I embrace the variations of fans; it is these very variations that keep the show going, not the snobby 'whovians' who think the Whoverse revolves around them alone - news flash, it *doesn't*.

The verse is dependent on NUMBERS; people actually WATCHING the show. If the numbers fall enough, the Beeb won't hesitate to swing the cancellation hatchet once more. All the Whovians in the world crying into their keyboards won't save it. So be a little more accepting to the more generalised fans out there - it's them keeping this show in the spotlight.
Flag
I'll settle for my memories over a crappy product pandering to fickle, ADHD sufferers and shippers. Maybe what you consider snobbery I consider standards. Everyone being entitled to an opinion doesn't entitle those opinions to equal measures of respect. I'm a Whovian and proud of it. Who do you think you're talking to--Michael Dukakis?
Flag
No vic, I *know* who I'm talking to - a ranting snob of a whovian; which is why, despite adoring the show since my childhood (I'm now 47), I *REFUSE* to be lumped with such snobs as you and your ilk. They're not 'standards' vic; it IS just blatant snobbery, which is ridiculous over a *tv show*.

Lets face the facts - you might be able to tell other fans the colours in Tom Baker's scarf and what type of tweed was in Smith's jacket, or even what the difference has been between the wiring on the consoles on ALL the tardises (inc, film versions); but your obsessed whosnobians won't keep the show on the air long term for all your posturing and spittal spewing ranting.

I know *THAT* is what sends you guys bonkers; the fact that even the most rabid whosnobians are sidelined in favour of the general who fans who just like generalised storylines (like Rose and 10/11th doctor) and who prefer actors who can engage the viewer, *not* send them fleeing for the hills. That no matter how the hardcore whosnobian can rant and rave that *they* LOVE Capaldi, if he doesn't keep bums on sofas and the numbers up of the generalised fan then he's dust before Smith's fez has even cooled.

Still, have a nice life knowing that it's the fickle hand of fate - or rather the fickle hand of the more *transient* who fan - who decides what the whosnobian gets to watch......I personally find it *hilarious* (but then I'm NOT a whosnobian).
More +
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Staff
It's true, those first episodes all have brilliant moments which each Doctor, but are far from the best of their careers.
Flag
@ WildPict: Being in a supporting role for a few episodes of a show or a spin-off doesn't mean you can be the main character. Lets face it, John Barrowman was brilliant as Captain Jack, but as DW? not likely. I think the thing of it is that Capaldi, for all his love of the show and scifi, will not be the 'crowd pleaser' that tv producers demand now to consider a show 'successful'.

Remember 'bum on seats', as it used to be called, ratings as it is now is what recognises a show as a success - Capaldi is obviously DW to be a real Whovian pleaser; but the general fan? Nope, not even close. Sad, but true - he could be the Doctor's killer in a nightmare scenario. Either that or a one season wonder - either way, with the doctor running out of regens then they really need to start either trying to find a way to circumvent that particular rule, and also giving more thought to the whole fan base, not just the anorak section.
Flag
Staff
@TracyTrouble - agree, Tennant really did get it RIGHT away. Eccleston is my fav :)
Flag
@jessicakroeber - you're right; they do really find it difficult the first few eppys to get the feel - but it's such an iconic role I think we can forgive them. :)

I think people see it differently with Eccleston because he was the first new Doctor in such a long time. However, he was excellent and I was really worried about Tennant taking over. IMHO Eccleston and Tennant were the two strongest actors in the role of the three so far. I don't think Capaldi will match them; but he might manage to compare favourably with Smith.
Flag
I agree; but I think they see it, with the exception of Eccleston, as a high profile step up for their *future* careers. It certainly helped Tennant become a lot higher profile; not sure Smith has the acting ability to use it as Tennant did though.

Let's not forget the peripherary characters too - I doubt John Barrowman would've gone as far as he has without Captain Jack (LOVE that character, so sad that Ianto died; was hoping he'd then end up with Gwen as he appeared to love them both). I think the more savvy actor, with accompanying ability of course, uses it to help *them* - others not so much.

Eccleston was one that tried to hide from it and has seen his career sink since - though being in Thor 2 might help now. I think Capaldi might be the same - a one season wonder who then distances himself from it. We can only wait and see how this new round of the game plays out.... I await the start with interest.
Flag
Since Capaldi has already been in one DW episode, and in Torchwood, he should last at least a few seasons. He obviously likes scifi roles.
Flag
@ jessicakroeber - no, you're absolutely right. As you say, it takes them a while to get a feel for the role and 'find their feet' so to speak.

I think Eccleston was never truly comfortable with the doctor, though I did love his version of the character. Tennant seemed the one who became comfortable with their role the quickest and really made it his own - dark and light was the best way to describe it and he's been my favourite so far.
Flag
Staff
All I meant was that the first episode of each Doctor is hardly the best episode with that Doctor. It often takes them a few eps to get fully into character and to learn what being the Doctor will mean for them within the show.
Flag
I'm happy with the choice. I never thought I'd ever see the day where I'd recognise an actor chosen to play the Doctor, but what so you know, I have.

While I didn't know his name Capaldi is an instantly recognisable figure in British television. Other then recognising him mostly from Children of Earth, he's been in Skins and was most recently in World War Z.

So glad they went for an older choice for once, and I'm confident in his acting abilities, his Children of Earth character in particular showed some pretty deep emotions and dealt with some pretty serious moral situations.

This being said, just because Capaldo may seem a good choice, doesn't mean he will be. Doctor Who still has its problems, and we can't assume that slapping a new face on the brand will solve these.
Flag
Poor Dr. Who. He'll go thru his last (supposedly) regeneration; and still won't be the ginger he always wanted to be.
Flag
It's not his last, the next one will be his last, the doctor gets 12 regenerations so it's 13 incarnations as the first wouldn't need a regeneration
Flag
My mistake? Always thought Time Lords only had 12 lives in total.
Flag

I hope he won't be wearing this.

Flag
Staff
I sort of hope he WILL! ha
Flag
I'm going to miss Matt Smith, but things evolve, things change. We just had a new assistant. Now a new doctor. A new adventure, a new beginning, how exciting ! There was a real team at work between Smith and Coleman. I'm really curious of how it will be between Coleman and Capaldi ?
Flag
Staff
I imagine if they plan on keeping Clara around they made sure his chemistry with her was good, too.
Flag
I initially hated the idea of Matt Smith, I initially hated the idea of David Tennant, but in the end loved both of their incarnations. One of the only things I've ever seen Capaldi in was The Field of Blood where he was exceptionally good.
Flag
I think that he is a great choice. He's a great actor and, although I loved Matt Smith's Doctor, I am glad they didn't choose someone that young (or younger) again. It worked well with how Matt portrayed The Doctor as a young and excitable yet wise and old at heart time lord, but I think The Doctor's personality would have to be too similar if they went with a young actor again. There's just too much history to The Doctor. I think the change will be good and I am excited to see the new dynamic between characters - now we just have to wait a while!
Flag
Staff
Plus how much younger can we get? An 18 year old Doctor? ;)
Flag
I have to admit - I'm a little disappointed. I only know Capaldi from the Pompeji episode so I don't know about him as an actor.
What I am concerned about though, is his age. He's the oldest actor to play the Doctor since William Hartnell and I was actually hoping for someone young again since I really liked the chemistry between the previous three Doctors and their companions. I worry about the relationship the 12th Doctor will have with Clara. He's old enough to be her father after all! Personally, I don't see them becoming best friends the way Clara and 11 did. Or Amy and 11. Or Rose and 10.
That being said, I am (of course) willing to give him a chance, even though Matt Smith is and always will be my favourite Doctor. But I am very happy with Steven Moffat and I trust him to create yet another great Doctor.
Flag
Staff
He could become a really amazing father figure to her though! Those have been some of the best companion/Doctor pairings. Think Ace/7.
Flag
Maybe it's because I am quite old myself but I'm really looking forward to seeing what Capaldi brings to this role. He's an absolutely fabulous actor and I'm hoping for the return of a wee bit of gravitas for a change.
Also I was getting fed-up with all the near-romances between the doctor and his assistant so the age-gap should ensure that there's no chance of that with this doctor. Chemistry doesn't always have to be romantic.
Flag
I'm young enough and am fed-up with that kind of chemistry. Will-they-won't-they? They won't! The new version of Who is just catering to new and younger audience (at least that's what I believe in) but personally, I don't want that. If I want to watch it, I'd switch to any police procedural airing on the TV right now.
Flag
I wasn't talking about romantic chemistry. Okay, there has been quite a bit of flirting between 11 and Clara. And yes, even more with Rose and 10. But apart from that, what the Doctor really is to his companions, is their best friend. And that is what is so important about this show. A mad man in a box, who whisks away an ordinary girl and changes her life forever. Just look at Donna. Or the Ponds. Or Rose and the 9th Doctor. There was never any romance with them. And I just have a hard time imagining such a deep friendship with Clara and the new Doctor because Clara is so much younger (the actress, of course).
Also, they have started all the flirting and teasing between 11 and Clara this past season. It will be a little weird if that just stops from one moment to the other as soon as the Doctor regenerates.
But, like I said, I'm still very curious to see how the writers manage to pull all of this off. And who knows, maybe I will be absolutely delighted with Capaldi's Doctor. After all, I hated Matt Smith when he was first announced as the Doctor and now I am absolutely in love with him.
More +
Flag
I too am tired of the pointless flirting, especially with Clara currently, just because we have a companion of the opposite sex doesn't mean we need a love interest. And River has been my most hated character since day one, so hey, if this new casting shakes all that up, awesome. I disagree that 12 can't be best friends with a younger companion, the *actor* may older, the *character* has been freaking old for a long time, encompassing both the experienced man of the world traveler and the child excited at adventure, which I feel is inherent in any incarnation of the Doctor, regardless of the actor's age. It doesn't even have to be a father daughter type thing, like I bet any of us could be great friends with another Doctor Who fan regardless of their age - a shared interest/love is ageless. But hey, I'm glad we're all giving him a chance, and I bet in a few years time we'll all be screaming at the new freaking guy replacing our 12. :P
Flag
Why did they pick an OLD guy to play the Doctrine.... we've Enjoyed 6 seasons of young Doctors....why go OLD???? Even the ninth doctor wasnt that old....
Flag
NO. In the Who universe, Matt Smith is the only exception, look it up on the internet. You don't define the role with the age and appearance of The Doctor.
Flag
Are they gonna start filming in black and white again too?
Flag
Old actors are the best actors on TV - Hugh Laurie, Bryan Cranston, John Noble, James Gandolfini....
Flag
... Danny Huston, Charles Dance, John Hurt ...
Flag
I am sorry, but i fell in love with the 9th, 10th, and 11th doctor...young, energetic, and super smart. I tried to watch some of the old stuff and i couldn't watch more than 5 min before turning it off. Your gonna lose allot of the element that made #10 & 11 soo great... like the love interests (no one wants to see old people make out on tv) . anyway, ill hold my judgement till the show actually comes out.
Flag
Mr. Bean is the new Doctor?
Flag
Rowan Atkinson... Google him.
Flag
Rowan Atkinson as it happened has already played the Doctor for Comic Relief. You can search Youtube for the Curse of Fatal Death (written by Steven Moffat).
Flag
i was thinking ,doesnt he look like a magician?
Flag
sorry if I throw off the poll voting 'love it' despite the fact that I don't watch the show. Curious however, I know this dude from that political dramedy film that was a bit of an american / british crossover right? had a few notables from either side of the pond, this guy played a bit of a lead in it...
Flag
Are you talking about In the Thick of It? That is why I picked "love it" since he was such a great actor and character in that UK show.
Flag
apparently it was "in the loop" that I saw and in it he played the same character as the show, just not seen the show myself.
Flag
He is great in the thick of it and in the loop! You should check out in the thick of it
Flag
also yeah I enjoyed him in it quite a bit.
Flag
This is the choice of Doctor I wanted. I actually called it back in June and couldn't believe it when I heard he was becoming a favourite among the bookies during the last week or so. My first reaction to hearing all the ludicrous names being called by naive fans of the recent few years of the show (who never bother to think about what it was like before 2005) was just to hope for someone no-one's heard of, but it didn't take long for me to realise that actually Capaldi would be an amazing Doctor, even if he didn't bring anything of Malcolm Tucker to the role (though I would rather like it if he did). No-one took the idea seriously (except of course Steven Moffat). Now if we can just get Armando Ianucci to join the Doctor Who writing team...

Flag
Did you call Matt Smith a spastic?
Flag
In addition to this being terrific news due to Capaldi's acting skills, it also makes me hope for Georgia Moffett's return as the Doctor's daughter Jenny. It would kinda mirror the original promise (with an "older" doctor traveling time and space with his younger, female, offspring). Then bring in an additional, male, companion as a potential (and, of course, eventual) love interest of Jenny, and the dynamic would have every chance to be great - and also fresh, comparing to the central relationships featured since the 2005 resuming.
Flag
I would love to see Jenny again!
Flag
I'm not familiar with Capaldi, but this type of choice -- "old white guy" -- means that the writing will have to improve, as they will not have the crutch of the "novelty appeal" of a PC choice (female, minority, lemur, etc.) or the "adolescent appeal" of a younger actor. Let's hope that the writers get this, or that the show gets writers who do get this.
Flag
"the "novelty appeal" of a PC choice (female, minority, lemur, etc.)"

for some reason I find that assessment disturbing and even a little appalling. admittedly moreso the "minority" part, as that's the category I would be placed in. minority as a novelty? who woulda thunk it!
Flag
Yes, novelty -- in the sense of doing something purely for the sake of being different, or to appeal to those making the most noise about what kind of Doctor they want.

Did you see the black Kojak? If you missed the first 3-4 episodes, you didn't. Nothing against Ving Rhames, but he just wasn't Kojak. Call it something else, and it may have had a chance. Some "reboots" seem to be little more than stealing a few character names in an attempt to capitalize on an existing franchise; DW has so far been much better than most in this regard, precisely because of the flexibility inherent in the show's concept. However, a certain level of familiarity and continuity is still necessary.

Look, I didn't like Matt Smith's Doctor very much, but I blame that on the writers. I wasn't a big fan of Tennant's Doctor, either, but again, I blame the writers for that as well; I'm even looking forward to seeing his new show. If either of these guys were black or asian or hispanic or arab or female or wombat, you might not believe that; you'd probably think that I just didn't like him because I'm racist or sexist or hated wombats (which are in fact my favorite of all marsupials).
More +
Flag
I accidentaly flagged your comment. Have no idea how to unflag. :(
Flag
The vociferous demand for certain categories of people to be represented in the doctor casting actually undermined the chances of the next doctor to be female, black, or anything else, because if the next actor had fallen into such a category, even if he/she were absolutely amazing in the role, Doctor Who would suddenly become a battleground for so many agendas and not just about making a TV show that works well.

It even got to the point where Doctor Who was being blamed for the lack of women in good leading roles in modern drama. The solution to this problem (and it is a very real problem of course) is to create more good television in which women and non-white people and disabled people and transsexuals and all kinds of people play admirable serious leading roles. Expecting Doctor Who to solve the problem, not only puts Doctor Who in a questionable position regarding how it organises itself and what agenda it serves first, but also let's all kinds of other television off the hook. New series are out there, crying out for a chance to get made and broadcast. It's only a matter of time before producers realise that they'll be onto a winner if they pick shows that happen to represent all kinds of people well (as opposed to ones that crowbar in tokens, or simply don't bother with representation at all).

Even choosing an actor the same age as the first three to play the doctor (exactly the same age as William Hartnell as it happens) has somehow been seen as a controversial choice because in recent years the show has been pandering to an audience not prepared to look beyond shiny and sexy. They even talk as though it's assumed there'll be some kind of romance between the doctor and a companion, even though that's a completely new idea that probably shouldn't have been tried at all, but at least now won't be repeated.

To anyone who can't immediately see why Capaldi is such an amazing choice for the role needs to get in the mindset of a really typical Doctor Who fan. That's someone who's watched episodes stretching right across its 50 year span (at least 2 or 3 episodes featuring each of the actors to play the lead ideally). It's also someone who sees Doctor Who in the context of British television and British culture. Someone who'll know all about Peter Capaldi, not least of all from his portrayal of Malcolm Tucker.

Get to know earlier episodes of Doctor Who, and get to know Malcolm Tucker, and you will be as excited about this as I am.
More +
Flag
...not that I disagree though. I really do hope the writing improves and that it is less reliant on gimmicks and novelty appeal.

I'm comfortable with an "old white guy" as the Doctor. I might even be comfortable with a female or minority... if it was written exceptionally well.

Sorry though- the lemur is definitely out for me!
Flag
"old white guy?" Once you've done a quick search of Malcolm Tucker highlights on youtube you'll retract that I'm sure, and regret being so dismissive. Never mind the fact that the first 3 actors to play the Doctor were also "old white guy" types and they didn't exactly mess it up. :-)
Flag
Also.. WHEN ARE GONNA GET THE 50TH ANNIVERSARY TRAILER, BBC?!?!?!
Flag
Aw... I wanted Colin Morgan! I knew it wasn't going to happen though... I'm kind of skeptical about him but if they have the plot get better than that later half last season I'll stick around. I hope that they start to go a little dark with it though... just a little though!
Flag
I am more than willing to give him a chance because I've loved the last three doctors. But my heart is still breaking because in my heart, Matt Smith will always be Dr. Who. Wahhhhhh
Flag
Good choice! I don't know him really, but he has an old burning mischief in his eyes - pass! I wrote "old". Outch!
And to continue the good news the new showrunner is...?
I'm kidding.
Or not.
Flag
The "Or not" earned you that thumbs up.
Flag
The "Or not" also earned him a no-thumb-up.
Flag
Capaldi has already appeared in the Whoniverse in the Tenth Doctor episode The Fires of Pompeii playing Lucius Caecilius and then as John Frobisher in Torchwood: Children of Earth. (Russell T Davies had at that time suggested that the latter was the descendant of the former.)
Not so long ago I had seen Capaldi in the movie World War Z in which he played a doctor at a W.H.O. research facility and this is what I said in forums about his appearance in this movie:
“Somewhat fitting to the fact that he had been a Doctor Who guest star in The Fires of Pompeii. Even though the WHO is something completely different, it was very tempting to think of Capaldi ‘s character in World War Z of being like the Doctor just with the way his character is credited alone.”

Had no idea how prophetic these words would become.

It seems that the Eleventh Doctor will be thinking about Caecilus when deciding what form his twelfth body will take.
It will be interesting to see whether Captain Jack will meet the Twelfth Doctor just to see if he would recognise his face as that of John Frobisher.

Doctor Who Live: The Next Doctor presented a letter that Capaldi wrote to the Radio Times in 1973 when he was 15 years old and can be read here:
http://www.radiotimes.com/uploads/images/original/34582.jpeg
More+
Flag
Colin Baker appeared in Arc of Infinity in a totally different character before he was considered for the Doctor. They will find a way around it.
Flag
My comment on Capaldi's other Whoniverse characters was really intended as a joke.
Flag
Just as Martha's "cousin" died in the Battle of Canary Warf. :)
Flag
Would have been hilarious if he'd been credited in World War Z as "W.H.O. Doctor"
Flag
I haven't watched the show in years. Never did cotton up to Matt Smith. Will have to check out the regeneration and the first couple episodes to see if I'll go back to the show. So much more to watch these days and so much less time...
Flag
I hated Matt Smith on first sight. Very much just hated his face for the most part, but before I knew it, I very much enjoyed his incarnation. Surprised myself, really.
Flag
I wonder if a 55-year-old Doctor will have trouble with steps, like I do. "You go ahead, Clara, I'll wait for the elevator. It's my knees, you know."
Flag
Jack Coleman is 55 and he still kicks ass both as an actor and hotness wise.
Flag
Trouble with the knees at 55? Isn't that a bit early? Hell, Chuck Norris at 70 has no problems, why would Capaldi have?
Flag
Chuck Norris VS The Doctor? Wow that's an excellent idea for a fanfics.
Flag
Yeah, that sexy-face Clara would have my knees weak too.
Flag
Now that the actor has been chosen, the next big question is: What would he be wearing? black leather? blue pinstripes with a long brown coat? bowtie and a fez?
Flag
I'm kinda hoping for the jeans, t-shirt, and light blazer approach, but that's just my hope.
Flag
Hahaha, oh, the possibilities!
Flag
please oh please no bowtie, no fez, and no sneakers!!
Flag
Bowties are cool
Flag
Lederhosen would be cool...
Flag
O man, just for the look on the Brits faces it would be worth x 1000.
Flag
Birthday suit? (no thanks)
Flag
after watching an interview with him, i really think he's going to be a great doctor. its sad to see matt smith leave, but this guy was cast for a reason, he's gotta be good.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members