A Doctor Who Community
Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC America

Christmas is a time to be spent with loved ones. For many people, it's a time for celebration. And the annual Doctor Who Christmas Special has historically been something the whole family can enjoy together on a cold winter's night. Taking the form of a one-off episode, it usually leaves its viewers feeling warm inside, full of festive cheer and holiday spirit. That makes sense, because who wants to watch something terribly sad or scary on Christmas, you know? Not me. No thanks. (Downtown Abbey, take note.)

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like this year's special is going to be filled with the usual sunshine and rainbows and happy sentiments. Oh, there'll be plenty of fake snow, festive holiday decorations, and even an appearance by Clara's family, but "The Time of the Doctor" is Matt Smith's swan song, and it has all the makings of one. Many of the Doctor's enemies will return, including a Weeping Angel (*shudder*), and there will be plenty of action. Check out this new extended trailer that BBC America just released today and you'll see what I mean.

Do you like the idea of a more action-packed Christmas special? Would you rather watch the Doctor and Clara drinking eggnog and attending ugly sweater parties? Or are you ready for Peter Capaldi's Doctor to finally arrive?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 12/5/2015

Season 9 : Episode 12

43 Comments
Comments (43)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I'd prefer a more Christmas-y episode, but I like the adventurous shows too.
Flag
Matt, don't go! Please, don't go! I'll gladly be that kid hanging on his leg as he tries to walk away. I'm just not ready...
Flag
"Hello, the TARDIS" - that made me smile.

Ugh, Cybermen never fail to give me an eyeroll.

Something about that video felt very off, very action-flick and not at all Doctor Who-esque. Hopefully the actual episode will have more heart than a lot of Moffat episodes with this sort of trailer.
Flag
The Christmas specials are great for their heartwarming-ness, but this is not without precedent. We lost David Tennant's doctor on a double-episode split between the Christmas special and New Year's Day special. This might be a new tradition with DW. We get a few heartwarming Christmas specials and then have to endure the inevitable sadness when the Doctor leaves. I just hope Capaldi and the writers can live up to the bar that's been set by Tennant and Smith.

Incidentally.....I'm still not quite over Tennant's return and his final line: "Trenzalore.....we need to find a new destination, because......I don't wanna go." Damn you, Moffat....that wound had just healed....and now you do THIS to me......
Flag
The Time Of The Doctor is ebbing away Now The Master returns to save the day?...

The Doctor may not be the only one regenerating in the Christmas episode; The Time Of The Doctor.

There's a youtube clip going around, that's had over 13,000 views so far, of the apparent next 'regeneration' of The Master who will be facing off against Capaldi in the forthcoming eighth series.

According to several tweets by tweeter '@jamesstoker1963' The Master maybe returning for the Christmas episode and beyond.
He's tweeted the youtube audition clip with these details:

"I got this apparent audition clip from a youtube user account IzzyAlive (which now seems to have been deleted) who claimed:
"A friend of mine in an actors co-operative agency got sent this clip with 4 others in an email that they'd been 'CC'D into when casting another show I can't mention.
The other 3 clips were relevant to the show they were casting but this one was marked: 'The Master DW2014' (Moff select final review clip).

I don't know who the actor is but maybe they're going with an 'unknown' to play The Master after casting a 'known' actor in Peter Capaldi to play the 12th Doctor?
I guess we'll find out soon enough"
You can see the clip at: youtu.be/x4F4GpGTaQM

The Bells of Trenzalore Fall Silent, My Friend As The Time of The Doctor Comes To An End...
More+
Flag
I'm sad that Matt Smith is leaving but as The Doctor said "Everything ends, Clara".
Flag
Going to miss Matt Smith.This looks like a great finish for him.It's been a hell of a ride but a new Doctor means new adventures around the corner!Can't wait!
Flag
I'd rather have a Doctor Who and Clara's Christmas adventure, then a few more regular episodes, and only THEN I might be about ready for Capaldi to take over. But... I'll take what I get, and enjoy it as best as I can.
Flag
This might be me hearing things, and/or me going slightly mad, but is that Crowley from Supernatural doing the voiceover? Sounds just like him.
Flag
Yes, Mark Sheppard's been BBC America's regular Who voiceover since appearing in The Impossible Astronaut as Canton Delaware. He'll always be Badger to me though ;-)
Flag
Best casting decision they made having father & son play the older & younger versions of the same character. Plus who doesn't like Badger.
Flag
Ditto! I was actually going to say Badger from Firefly, but then switched to Canton Delaware, keeping it Doctor Who related, but then figured I should go with his most recurring, consistent job in the last few years. Weirdly, though, actually referring to him by his real name never even crossed my mind! :-/
Flag
Staff
It is!
Flag
I knew it! I would recognise that voice anywhere! And suddenly feel disheartened that he doesn't do the Doctor Who voice-overs over on my side of the pond.
Flag
The two of them can drink all the eggnog they want as long as the Doctor wears a red and white colored Fez...lol
Flag
Considering Peter Capaldi was my favorite part of Torchwood children of earth i'm really looking to seeing what he does with the role. Bring it on. Will miss Matt Smith though, fish fingers and custard to accompany my viewing methinks.
Flag
Why on earth is my DVR still calling this the Day of the Doctor...I keep yelling at it, we've already seen that!! And then it is the description for Day of the Doctor too. I am presuming the two hour time block is correct. Alas, my Christmas day will be spent doing a triangle around the southeastern portion of Massachusetts before getting home and going to work the next day.
Flag
The Time Of The Doctor is only an hour long, BBCA is doing a Goodbye special before it
Flag
doctor who and sherlock the same day.....best christmas ever!!!!
Flag
Final Mat Smith Episode....now I'm sad :(
Flag
I always thought 11 with his joyful character was very accompanying for a Christmas episode. This one will be much more darker and I of course will enjoy it. But a lighter episode would have been good also.

I am though very curious how Capaldi will be as the doctor en how his interaction with Clara will be. The dynamics will completely change with an older doctor.
Flag
After 12 plays, I realised Mark Sheppard was the narrator for the trailer.
*ASFGFWHEGVDBSVDTEF*
Flag
Staff
He does all the BBC America voiceovers! It's awesome!
Flag
Tears and excitement here, So long 11!
Flag
....or 12....
Flag
Who knows anymore lol. Hopefully this actually explains the end of the last series on Trenzalore. No closure to that in day of the doctor except for clarification of John Hurts role
Flag
It will be interesting alright, not only Trenzalore but the regeration count as well...
Flag
The Doctor and Clara drinking eggnog would be just fine.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members