A Doctor Who Community
Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC America

Doctor Who S08E02: "Into the Dalek"

As the Doctor's greatest enemy, the Daleks have proven to be rather resilient throughout the years, but they've also been relatively boring villains during the latter part of Doctor Who's run. Their hatred for, well, everything that is not Dalek, makes them master villains because it's impossible to reason with them, but it also means they're fairly one-note. They have no conscience to play to, and they cannot be persuaded by emotion. They're not sympathetic, and after years of storylines involving the Daleks, I haven't been impressed by many recent Dalek-centered episodes. So, when I saw that the Doctor was going to face off against a fleet of Daleks once again—and in only the second episode of Season 8—I lowered my expectations.

Maybe that's why I came away from "Into the Dalek" thinking it was one of the better Dalek-centered episodes in a long time. It wasn't a great episode as far as Doctor Who is concerned, but the writers managed to create a new and inventive way to bring back the Daleks by literally going inside them to find out how they work, and that puts the episode firmly in the success column for me. 

As a parallel to the Doctor's ongoing struggles to know himself, the possibility of a good Dalek—one who'd turned against his own kind after witnessing the birth of a star (and experienced a radiation leak poisoning its mind)—absolutely worked. I'm just not sure the logistics of it made that much sense. I'm not a Dalekologist, but I've always assumed that the Daleks were just living beings inside giant metal tanks, for lack of a better term. The fact that they would have antibodies of any kind inside the metal portions of their "bodies" doesn't make much sense to me. I could see a Dalek shutting down sections of its robotic shell at the first sign of danger, but to paint that function as antibodies that fight infection was ridiculous. Even if it was a metaphor, it was clunky. Sure, it raised the stakes for the soldiers who accompanied the Doctor and Clara inside the Dalek while also managing to connect to Missy and her "heavenly" garden from last week, but that's about it.

It's much easier to believe that the Daleks have a computer-like memory drive that stores and records everything they see and that Clara was able to reboot it. That just makes more sense than a hunk of metal having its own biological defense system. But like I said, while the logistics were wonky, the way the Dalek storyline played into the Doctor's insecurities about whether or not he's a good man was a success. As Clara restarted the Dalek's memory of witnessing the birth of a star, the Doctor revealed the brilliance and beauty of the universe and all forms of life by showing the Dalek the Doctor's own mind. But once that link was established, the Dalek also saw the Doctor's hatred for the entire race of Daleks, and it latched on to that hatred, because that's all Daleks are. They're hateful creatures who know nothing about kindness or empathy. Their mission in life is to exterminate, exterminate, exterminate. The fact that the Dalek turned on his own kind didn't make him a good dalek, it just made him a Dalek-hating Dalek. It was still a killing machine, and even if it aided our heroes by destroying the rest of its fleet, it didn't make him "good."

And so, now that we've learned that Daleks are inherently evil and incapable of changing their ways, we're left with several questions. Is the Doctor a good man or a bad man? Can he be both? And does it matter? The Doctor asked Clara whether or not he was a good man at the start of "Into the Dalek," and she told him she didn't know. By episode's end, she reaffirmed her stance, but she also pointed out that he tries to be a good man, and that's what really matters. The Doctor's introspective journey is something I've been looking forward to seeing, because he's certainly done bad things, but he's also done far many better things. This battle over ends justifying the means, or good outweighing bad, makes him feel relateable and it makes him feel human.

Elsewhere in "Into the Dalek," Doctor Who's writers continued to develop Clara beyond her Impossible Girl title this week by introducing Danny Pink, a fellow teacher at Coal Hill School who's possibly a love interest for Clara (and future companion to the Doctor). He was a soldier, and he's going to end up traveling with the Doctor, which is why the writers had the Doctor deny Journey Blue a trip in the TARDIS for the basic fact that she's a soldier. But adding Danny to the mix, and playing up Clara's role as a teacher for the Doctor (I really enjoyed it when she slapped him and forced him to understand what they'd learned by going inside the Dalek), reaffirms my belief that Doctor Who is at least attempting to develop her character beyond her initial purpose of saving the Doctor's life in each of his previous incarnations. She feels less wooden, and I hope that trend continues next week, when we'll be meeting Robin Hood. That should be... fun? Here's hoping the guy doesn't turn out to be a Dalek.

NOTES 

– What do you guys think of Danny? I rather like him. And I enjoyed the episode cutting away to see what he wished/wanted to say when Clara asked him out. I think he's got an interesting backstory and can't wait to learn more about him.

thekaitling:list:doctor-who-what-did-you-think-of-into-the-dalek/

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 12/5/2015

Season 9 : Episode 12

131 Comments
Comments (131)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Capaldi nailed it for me in this second episode and made his stamp as the new Doctor. Whereas Jenna never sits wholly there for me but, I feel it's Moffat's fault for writing the Doctor's assistants as being a bit of a bunch of controlling nannies. It always tends to lean toward the Doctor sneaking off like some naughty child to get his way and eventually save the day. The smack in the face, for instance, being a prime example. What would happen if the Doctor ever smacked Clara? Would it be received by audiences with praise, justification or laughter or outcry? I fear the latter.
Overall I found this to be a well rounded episode with all manner of bangs and whistles but underpinned by a real sense of emotion.
Flag
I'm having a hard time with the Scottish accent.

But it sounds good!

Moffat needs to quit dangling the unanswered question: who gave Clara that phone number? Clara simply says she got the number from a woman in the shop. That's not good enough.
Flag
Possibly the Scottish woman playing host to 'heaven'.
Flag
so i really really want to like Capaldi, i do. but it's not working for me. Throughout this entire episode all i kept thinking was how awesome this episode would be if Smith's Doctor were in it. Capaldi's quips and whimsical moments just fell flat for me. He plays dark really well, maybe too dark(?), even War wasn't all THAT dark. I love Clara and Mr.Pink, they're cute, but how many times can we do the bumbling idiot boyfriend thing?

what is up with Missy? she took the lady at the end to heaven but not the first guy that died inside the Dalek...why? i'm tryin to see what she and the robot from the first episode had in common...Only thing that comes up is that they both sacrificed themselves for the Doctor (right? it was never proven that the Doctor pushed the robot he could have jumped out on his own after the Doctor's speech because his death was the only way to end it all)
Flag
i don't know if am the every watch any more doctor who show's i might but not tell the twelve doctor regeneration's again and if River song should ever come back then i might watch a few episode that have River Song in them but that's it..
Flag
The start of the season has been boring for me so far. I don't dislike Capaldi, and i like Clara as companion. But still, boring. Like so much complaining about Moffat's complicated storylines has developped some kind of revenge from him and now we have the most plain story scope ever. Only that strange 'heaven' situation brings some curiosity.
Flag
I was completely thrilled with this episode!!! Capaldi is becoming an awesome, albeit darker version of the Doctor than we've seen in quite some time...In many ways he reminds me of William Hartnell's portrayal of the Doctor...and considering that the Doctor is on a brand new set of regenerations that shouldn't come as a surprise. Gone is the silly ragamuffin (Smith), and we'd be hard pressed to even see a glimmer of the lovable punk (Tenent) but perhaps some of that no nonsense style of the adventurous biker (Eccelson) is showing through....Can't wait for the next episode!!!
Flag
Technically we HAVE seen Daleks turn good... or at least emotional and less evil.
  • Dalek - the Doctor 9th meets a Dalek who starts to develop a conscience and wants to die after absorbing some of Rose's DNA and starts to mutate. Not exactly a nice Dalek, but not pure evil at the end.
  • Evolution of the Daleks - a human-hybrid Dalek Sec starts to realize that life is important and the Dalek way isn't the best. Ultimately he sacrifices himself to save the 10th Doctor.
  • Journey's End - a crazy Dalek that saw the time vortex decides he wants to help the Doctor kill the Dalek creator and the Dalek army in its entirety. He's happy to have helped the 10th Doctor.
There are probably others. At the start of Asylum of the Daleks I thought we were going to find out they were classified as crazy because they were pacifists... but I was wrong. They were just crazy.
Flag
wow, you missed the most important fact for the over-arching story of the season so far.

it seems like anyone that dies in the presence of...or caused by... the doctor goes to the promised land/heaven/whatever it actually is.
Flag
Staff
I mentioned Missy and her garden, but there's still very little to discuss about it.
Flag
you glossed over it. yes it's speculation, but at least mention it.
Flag
Staff
Meh.
Flag
Say what you will about this episode or the new Doctor in general, but I love the new Danny Pink character!!
Flag
Me, too. That moment when he's replaying conversations and what he should have said instead (something I do a LOT) made me think he's one of two paths for the show: either a new companion for The Doctor or as a new companion for Clara who takes her away from The Doctor. If he's with The Doctor, then he could teach The Doctor empathy; if he goes with Clara, then maybe he can help her find a happy new existence.
Flag
La La La, can't hear you, my DVR deleted Doctor Who from my series list so it didn't pick it up, have to wait until next Saturday to see it.
Flag
If you have On Demand through your cable service it will be available for you to watch today. Hope you get to see it sooner than Saturday. :)
Flag
I just checked, not yet available OnDemand. I'll keep checking later today, but generally I'm used to it hitting a week later. Hopefully you're right.
Flag
That's weird. What service do you use?
Flag
Time Warner. Still nada.
Flag
It was a really bad rewrite of I Borg from TNG I love Peter I think hes taken Who back to Bill Hartnell and I love that but rewriting a star trek episode was an idiotic idea especially as it was done so badly and the fact they used a vulcan mind meld and resistance is futile could they not have borrowed inspiration and made their own story? Moffat needs to become a better writer immediately or he is going to tank Peter before he starts
Flag
I wasn't really a fan of this episode to be honest, lets be frank, the Daleks are terrible. They're stupid enemies and they should have been cut out of the show decades ago, they're ridiculous and uninteresting. Speaking of uninteresting, Danny the soldier/teacher/whinny bitch, they're obviously setting something up for him, my guess would be he's Clara's escape plan, I don't see her being around after this season (companions don't last long, as we all know) which means they're going to have to shack her up with someone. Apart from being one of the most unmemorable looking human beings I've ever seen (nothing ugly about him yet nothing particularly unique or interesting either, he seems like a CW actor with an English accent, good looking but not in an attractive way, if that makes sense) he's just a bland actor, same goes for pretty much all of the other characters form this episode, I expect Daleks to be stale but those soldiers, holy hell. The only bright spot was the scene where the Dalek found the darker recesses of the Doctor's mind and was inspired with hatred, I'm liking the dark Doctor so far. P.S. Geez, Dolorous Edd really got the shaft this episode, fucker was in the episode for all of five seconds before he died, I guess if you survive Game of Thrones then you've got to die in everything else you're in.
More+
Flag
The character strikes me as insecure and I can relate. We all have insecurities and his are more on his sleeve than most.
Flag
so far not that impressed with the new season of Doctor Who, to me I feel a bit "Doctor Who Cares?"
Flag
Many people feel the same way, is just very mediocre... I won't watch it anymore, I'm done.
Flag
i fell the same way about your comment so...
Flag
Have we been here before? I swear we've been here before. Certain elements of this episode seem eerily similar to the 9th Doctor episode "Dalek" which had a single Dalek chained up, break free, and go on a rampage in a bunker. There are a lot of differences in this episode, but the main theme is identical: Can a Dalek reform? The Dalek in "Dalek" had an option to reform because the entire race was apparently destroyed and he had no orders. He fell back on his default mission, kill everything non-Dalek, but he realized how utterly pointless it was if he had no peers cheering him on. It was the only episode where it showed a Dalek as sympathetic, and showed a dark side to the Doctor. The Dalek even tells the Doctor that he'd make a good Dalek.

Now, almost 10 years later, we have another episode with a seemingly good Dalek, but in my opinion it just didn't seem that good. It did expand the Doctor's dark side when the Dalek read his mind, but when it told the Doctor that he'd make a good Dalek my mind snapped right to "Dalek" and made me instantly miss Chris Eccleston screaming "I made it happen!"

I will admit Clara's character is blossoming and I am pleased that she stood up to the Doctor and actually slapped him, something even Donna didn't do, to snap the Doctor out of his snittiness and save the day. However, introducing a romantic interest this early for her after she got over 11 seems almost... inappropriate. I'd like to see more of Clara as CLARA instead of Clara the romantic female lead. Maybe introduce the new guy in episode 5 and have him join Clara in episode 7 or 8? Rory didn't really join Amy till the 5th episode, and he was introduced right off the bat! But Clara definitely needs time to breathe and be more than a romantic interest for the Doctor or another companion. Let her have some Donna-esque moments like the slap scene!

6.5 out of 10. Better than most of the Moffat-era Dalek episodes, but Good-Guy Dalek pales in comparison to Last of His Kind Dalek from the Davies-era.
More+
Flag
they are definitely making the doctor darker, kinda shocked me when he killed that guy with the antibody's, i don't know if this is a good or bad thing? but it is definitely different
Flag
I wouldn't mind a darker doctor, but then what's with all the "am i a good man" routine? he should be consistent!
Flag
The Doctor did not kill the guy with the antibodies. He gave him something that would allow The Doctor and everyone else to escape - that guy was going to die regardless.
Flag
True, but the Doctor made it seem like he had a way to save that guy, when actually he didn't. False hope.
Flag
He never claimed it would save the guy - you just assumed it would.
Flag
The guy also assumed. He clearly thought putting that thing in his mouth would somehow save him.
Flag
Oh, I'm so conflicted about this one. I love the grumpy Doctor, and I love the dark edge. The whole "he was already dead" gag was pretty cool, although I would have enjoyed a bit more regret on the Doctor's part, maybe. His interactions with Blue in the teaser were a ton of fun, too. And Clara was written about as well as she's ever been, if certainly in a way that feels reactive of earlier criticism towards her. And people died a bunch, which had been missing from the show for a while. Capaldi totally channels the old Doctors in all the best ways, and I didn't even realize how much I missed that after progressively younger and more romanticised versions.

But then... ugh. Why all the talk of "divinity"? I always took the Doctor for a bit more of a "what does God want with a spaceship" kind of guy. The whole final speech felt overwrought and out of character. And joking about the Innerspace connection doesn't make this less derivative. And "the Doctor is nice but he secretly hates the Daleks to the point of becoming one" is this show's trite "Batman and the Joker feed off of each other". And the script still feels rushed, not quite setting up the situations or characters and instead devoting time to set-pieces, speeches and season-wide setup that ring hollow because the plot didn't put in the work to deserve more.

I guess the best way to put it for me is that this was "competently Moffat-esque" and live with the contradiction.
More+
Flag
It would be nice to see if the Doctor ever has to deal with PTSD. He's 2,000 years old and seen a lot of crap in his life. If they used the angle that the Doctor is having difficulties processing all his past selves (since he is starting a new regeneration cycle) that he might be having issues with all he has seen and did. Danny could be a way to work a story and resolution there.
Flag
I didn't like this episode at all. The most important thing to me was that the Doctor was an unsensitive bastard. I understand he couldn't save Ross and what he did, but the lack of "I'm sorry, I am so sorry" really hurt me. I don't believe this Doctor is a good man, he lacks compassion and empathy.
I also didn't like Clara with the Doctor, acting as a a know-it-all to a stupid child. Finally, I didn't like the antibodies thing either. I have no opinion about Danny so far but I don't understand the sudden aversion to soldiers. The Doctor has many soldier friends, from Martha to the Brigadier.
Flag
since when does compassion and empathy define good? the actions make the man.
Flag
That question really surprised me,. I would answer you "since always" but obviously we have been taught different things, for me , a good person is one who is compassionate.
Flag
Anyone can show empathy and compassion and still be a murderer. Concentrating on how a person behaves rather than what they do is what allows society to excuse horrific acts by seemingly good people.

I'm not saying that the Doctor couldn't have been more empathetic, but there really wasn't a lot of time available, and there were other people with him who we're not doomed.
Flag
He had a lot of time for; a) saying "sorry b) not making tasteless jokes when they were in the green stuff. And I am not talking about "showing" empathy but about "feeling" it.
Flag
While The Doctor has never been in favor of "war", he's certainly, as you said, worked with soldiers and liked them. This is just an introduction of "PC thought", which aside from being nonsense, and contradicting the previous relationships, has no place in Doctor Who.
Flag
Right? and also the hypocrisy of being a pacifist and then taking the death of that soldier by the antibodies with almost a chuckle...
Flag
He's had two soldier Companions, Sgt. Benton and Mike Yates, and even the Brigadier was a Companion for one adventure.
Flag
Yep.
Flag
They weren't real companions, though. They either came by necessity or by accident, and not for regular trips.
Flag
Let's not forget Captain Jack Harkness. Even if the name was stolen identity, Torchwood was para-military
Flag
They traveled in the Tardis for more than one adventure, they moved freely within it, were useful during their travels, and left on their own volition. They were as much Companions as Micky, Rory, Captain Jack, or any other secondary character.
Flag
Except the Doctor worked with the Brigadier throughout the entire first two seasons of the Third Doctor (appearing in almost every episode of seasons 7-9) and continued to have regular appearances for the rest of the Third Doctor's tenure (appearing in about half the serials). Benton appeared in 13 of the Third Doctor's serials, and Yates appeared in 9. They might not be real companions, but I wouldn't say they weren't friends
Flag
I was thinking of that last night. Martha and Mickey became soldiers with U.N.I.T. and also Captain Jack was a soldier also.

But guess Martha came a soldier after her adventure with the Doctor as first she was training to become a doctor so his feelings are two different ends of the spectrum.
Flag
You are right in that.
Flag
I felt bad for the Doctor, like he already has a complex about himself, now add the hatred the Dalek sees in him? :( It kinda broke my heart for the Doctor even more and just wanted to give him a hug.

I don't know what to make about this new guy Danny, is he going to be a companion to the companion? Like Rory was to Amy? or Mickey to Rose?

What is the deal with Missy grabbing those who have perished due to the Doctor? Is she creating her own army? I'm filled with all the who what why stuff and it bugs me.
Flag
My guess is that Missy is collecting the people/beings that the Doctor convinced to sacrifice their life for him or his cause(s).
Flag
i think it's weird that the reviewer totally missed this pretty obvious connection.
Flag
This is probably just a restatement of my earlier comment, but my favorite Dalek related episode is Oswin Oswald - that was so totally sad and I thought that was what forced the Doctor to see Daleks as more than killing machines and, well, to feel bad about what he did to end the Time Wars (yes, I know, maybe that didn't happen anymore....sigh, Moffat I was totally in support of you...). So this one kind of felt, well, like, if you weren't ready to give the new Doctor a chance, let's pull out the big enemies to make the connections.

I do like Danny and am intrigued by him (I am wondering, are we doing a retread of Rory/Amy with Danny/Clara or is Clara going to encourage Danny to go with the Doctor for the Doctor's sake and for Danny's sake - though now I am thinking about it, this Missy person probably steals Clara and they are looking for her as the big theme of the season and we get to explore more of "heaven" through Clara and that might be how they can incorporate the Impossible Girl story - Missy can pull her through without actually having her die first).
More+
Flag
Interesting use of hard cuts to flashforward (Danny at desk) and to flashback (Doctor meeting Dalek, part 2). Acting continues to be very good. Writing overall... 6 out of 10??

Also, on rewatching I did see that the Doctor was at least paying lip service to being gentle with Journey as he crushed her hopes with his eyebrows. If that's not a setup to seeing her again later this year, the show shouldn't expect to see me again next year.

But I actually rewatched to check on some fan rumblings. Some are already starting to ship Clara and Journey. And as for whether she would make a good companion, buzz about Zawe Ashton becoming the next Doctor apparently started over a year ago, before the Capaldi announce and after (good-naturedly, for post-Capaldi).
Flag
Dear writers of Doctor Who,

Everything is too hectic and moving too fast - it worked well with the younger more energetic doctors, it's not working well for Capaldi's doctor!
The pace of the series needs an adjustment and fast - give Capaldi time to show off his dramatic acting chops, and give people watching some credit for being mature enough and having the attention span needed for more character development (everything doesn't need to blow up all the time in the background - this is not a Michael Bay movie).

Sincerely,
Your Audience.
Flag
Agreed. My favorite part of the entire episode was the conversation between the Doctor and Clara about whether or not he was a good man.

I feel like the Moffat Era has too often reduced the Doctor to just a mad man with a box. He's often so busy figuring out (or creating) convoluted puzzles that he doesn't even have time to be an actual character in his own show. Course this isn't always the case and I very much adored Matt Smith's Doctor. But compared to the emotional impact that the Davies Era had which wouldn't have been possible without great character moments. Moffat's Era is lacking in this regard.

Ultimately I'd just like to see more moments like the one on the staircase of the Tardis. And less labyrinthine like storytelling.
Flag
Totally agree, and as i said, the "mad man with a box" was a great concept for the other doctors, but they did bring Capaldi on to be a more serious doctor to reflect that he is tired of the running around and of the killing and is filled with regret and self doubt - so let him be exactly that!

Also, I feel that it's hurting the character's credibility when in one scene the doctor asks Clara if he is a good person, and in the next is being so nonchalant to the point of being a prick about that soldier dying.
Flag
What a thoughtful, insightful comment. Though I doubt the writers will pay it any heed.
Flag
Thank you, and even though you're probably right and this small post in a TV review site won't change anything, it's nice to know i am not alone in thinking that.
Who knows (pun intended) ? with enough support, fan outcry has been known to make a difference.
Flag
I - and eight others as of this time agree with you - less runny jumpy - more character/story development please!
Flag
I'm having a really difficult time warming up to this Doctor. There's nothing energetic about him. I know this is just the 2nd episode and it might be a little to early to judge but I loved Christopher Eccelston's doctor in the 1st episode and Matt Smith so idk. It took me a while to warm up to David Tennant because the 9th doctors tenure was so short but I ended up loving Tennant. This doctor is not funny and although this a darker take on the doctor I still want some humor. The only interesting thing about this episode was that they went inside a Dalek. Never seen that before so that was kind of refreshing other than that I still don't like Clara and this doctor better get interesting because I feel like I'm gona tune out.
Flag
This Doctor is dark - and I'm loving it. How dark? Can't wait to find out!
Flag
I don't think he's as dark as everyone is making him out to be. Meh
Flag
Was not expecting that slap. But damn was it on point.
Also the directing in the scenes that switched between what Danny wanted to say and what Danny actually said was pretty solid and that scene earned its fair share of giggles outta me, when it cut to Clara standing in the doorway.
The new take on a Dalek was okay, if not a little predictable.
Flag
as far as acting goes, both Coleman and Capaldi were stunning. scriptwise.... i'm a bit on the fence.... by no means a Classic, but it held me put. The Heaven plotline has me intrigued, and Danny seems to be a good enough addition. But they need to get the Doctor's lines believable. Capaldi is rocking them, but when u got to think of it, most of them seem written for Eleven - for ser premiere I was OK with it, but now.... come on, make it work Moffat!
Flag
After the desperate cameo of Matt Smith trying to convince Clara (and us) that Yes,this IS the Doctor, they run right to Daleks still pressing the point. Still not sold on the new Doctor, he still comes off as just tired to me, now letting Clara do the heavy lifting.
Flag
Hah! Coal Hill: first ep ever of classic Who features the doctor's granddaughter Susan attending Coal Hill. Love the connection!
Flag
It has been shown before, that is where Clara works. Apparently, Ian Chesterton is the director.
Flag
The one thing that really bothers me is him saying no to Journey because she's a soldier. He's had several soldiers as Companions: Sgt Benton, Mike Yates, the Brigadier even...hell, even his "daughter" was a soldier. Since when does the Doctor discriminate?

Moffat has an older man portraying the Doctor, so why is he having him act like he did with the younger Doctors? Give him dialog and scripts that take advantage of age and gravitas!

I'm not too happy with this episode, and I'm still figuring out this Doctor, but I liked the bits with Clara, Danny and Journey. And I do think that Journey reacted strangely to Danny's last name "Pink". I think it could've been a much better episode if they had had the Doctor act his "age".
Flag
"He's had several soldiers as Companions: Sgt Benton, Mike Yates, the Brigadier even...hell, even his "daughter" was a soldier. Since when does the Doctor discriminate?"

Since the Time War.
Flag
BINGO!
Flag
Since the Time War &-- exactly.
Flag
Oh dear this was a real clunker. The plot was stupid. You have a "good" Dalek so you Honey We Shrunk the Doctor and go in, for what? All they could do is reverse the change, there was no doubt that would happen, it was such a bad idea. Plus the sets inside the Dalek were terrible and the show couldn't decide if the Dalek turned good because of radiation, or because it saw a star being born - yeah I'm sure it was the star, that's really feasible, especially when the metaphor was about life and stars aren't alive. Then there was the theme - can a Dalek be good? Please, after more than 40 years of Dalek stories was this the time to have such a childish premise? The Rose episode with the Dalek and even the Oswin episode are recent examples that dealt with subtleties of Dalek morality without being reductive. The fact that it was yet another Dalek episode just makes it worse because the show just thinks we're so into them that we'll put up with crappy episodes. If the Daleks are the dominant power in the galaxy? universe? then give us stories that respect that fact instead of little quirky side stories. Dalek stories should be big scope and how about a little plot continuity as well. Capaldi was okay but I agree he didn't grab the role and own it in this episode. The only bit I really liked was the stuff at Clara's school. I always seem to like stories on the companion's personal lives more than the supernatural stuff. Now I have to try to sit through a Robin Hood episode next week without throwing up. What a stupid idea. I hated the Robin Hood episode of Star Trek: TNG so I hardly think this one has any chance of not sucking.
More+
Flag
Probably theworst dalek episode ever.
Flag
I disliked this episode but I love the Robin Hood mythos so I am so looking forward to next episode...if I could choose a place to go with the Doctor it would be Robin Hood's place.
Flag
Who exactly makes you sit through the next episode? Are there people at your home pointing guns at you? Shall I call the police?

Flag
Yes... we arrrrrre... Exterminate, Exterminate... ;-)
Flag
Capaldi was excellent last night - especially considering the woeful script (again) and the pathetic 'monster' (daleks - AGAIN!) If he can just hang on he MIGHT win enough people around. I'm warming to him purely because I think he's being set up to fail by Moffat and his APPALLING scripts.

Yes it's a pity vote on my part right now, but it's better than the outright dismissive attitude I had to Capaldi last week. His acting chops last night could not be faulted - he said lines with meaning and a straight face that would have made a weaker actor fall about laughing they were so horribly awful.

Also, who is the mad stalker woman (played by the actress who apparently plays a 'mad stalker woman' in EVERYTHING she does from ads to comedy shows)? My husband said "oh lord she's the 'bad wolf' this series isn't she?" Funny how we all refer to Rose's 'Bad Wolf' and never to Amy's 'Crack in Time'.....

Personally I say - bring back the weeping angels, or some big bad that is THAT scary....but I guess we'll be having the bl**dy cybermen instead....Moffat apparently happy to lazily use the same old baddies rather than actually bother to think up new ones.

Still, Capaldi is definitely winning me round; just a shame the writing is working AGAINST him to do that. When it comes to winning the undecided fans, and especially the anti ones, he must feel like he's running through treacle right now, poor fella......
More+
Flag
Another Dalek episode? OK, I know it is part of the franchise but it needn't be obvious where the plot would go.
1) Sending in the other soldiers was clear that they were "red shirts".

2) "Fixing" the Dalek was obvious that he would revert to his real self.

3) Yet another mass extermination of dpzens of people by Daleks

As someone above noted, the Rose/Dalek and Oswald/Dalek episodes were good. This one was tired.

Flag
"Personally I say - bring back the weeping angels, or some big bad that is THAT scary....but I guess we'll be having the bl**dy cybermen instead....Moffat apparently happy to lazily use the same old baddies rather than actually bother to think up new ones."

Funny how people seem to forget how many times the Daleks & Cybermen appeared in the Russell T Davies era (the answer is "a lot". A lot of times).
Also it might be worth mentioning that Moffat did create the weeping angels.
Flag
I'm against the daleks and cybermen - I don't care who is the one bringing them back all the time. What worries me is that Saturday's episode made it glaringly obvious that this dalek was coming back later in the series. The Doctor even said 'until we meet again'. Moffat is a lazy writer; lazier than Davies to be honest.

If he's getting bored he should bring other writers in. He should also stop making Capaldi's Doctor such a nasty piece of work - darker Doctors are good. But nasty ones get the franchise cancelled; remember Colin Baker's cruel and ruthless doctor?

Moffat needs to get a grip before he consigns a brilliant and much beloved show back to the bin of cancellation.....
Flag
Moffat also created the Silence, the creepy faceless guys in top hats (name of the doctor), the clockwork robots and the Empty child...

Oh and he created the Starwhale! That episode still makes my wife cry every time.
Flag
Hmmm I agree, not so much the Doctor as the scripts... Moffat is well known for his variable qualities re: scripts and probably needs someone to vet his works...
Flag
Getting someone to vet the scripts would be great; especially if it was a writer that could either scrap them and write better ones if they're as terrible as this episode - or rewrite them better when they have promise, but are hindered by Moffat's lazy writing.

Either way, Saturday's type of debacle should not happen again. Sadly I think it will - the recurring nut-job stalker woman, the signs of repetition via dialogue, etc all point to this down spiral only continuing......
Flag
As far as an episode goes I think it was alright. I still feel like the Doctor is trying to find himself. I'm not sure what it is but something feels off. He's running a little low on charisma. And it has nothing to do with his age. I think it's ridiculous that the age of the actor is even an issue. But all the Doctors have something, a charisma and a presence that lets them walk into any situation and have people yelling and fighting and waving guns, and he just takes charge. They tried to put one of those moment in the beginning of this episode, and it just didn't come off. The Doctor has always been in charge of every situation he's been in since he first started, and now this doctor seems like he's floundering. Even his reliance on Clara, asking her if he's a good man, it seems contrived to create dependance. And while the doctor has always needed his companions, he's always been in charge. This doctor seems very fragile, and not entirely in command yet, and maybe that is just the way it's being played, but it just feels a little wrong.
Flag
Having The Doctor showing his ruthless streak was a nice touch on the question of him being a good man "He was dead anyway." Not exactly the most sympathic way of sending someone off to the afterlife\dalek protien vat.

I got the feeling that Danny Pink was the Dalek for some reason, but now I'm not so sure. And what was with the colour characters? Journey Blue, Danny Pink is this season's arc all just some galactic game of snooker?
Flag
There was a suggestion that Pink might somehow be related to Blue, may be Missy rescue him from his exploding vessel and sent him back to infiltrate Clara school and took hook up with her and eventually board the Tardis.

I got the feeling we will be seeing Journey Blue in the future and that Dalek again.
Flag
Definitely better than the first episode and Capaldi is becoming a great Doctor.
Flag
I really liked Journey Blue. Her asking to come along might be the first time in years I thought, "Yes!!" watching this series. I did not like the Doctor's refusing. Not at all.

If the new series hates serious male companions, then let it have a strong female one. I could quite enjoy Journey and Danny Pink in a friendly/professional relationship, with Clara owning the romance angle (with Danny).

Sadly, this newer series rarely puts two women onscreen without things getting catty. Maybe it's also the shorter episodes that keeps the companion count low (as well as the characterization and plots wispy). (Traditional Doctor Who stories were 90-180 minutes long, without ads.)
Flag
I think it was a very symbolically important moment to refuse to let the soldier on board. The doctor was consciously choosing to try and let that go. A little heavy handed, pretty much spelling it out, but it was still a good notion. It will make it interesting with Danny though. If he's going to be a companion, then he is both a soldier and a teacher. That is likely going to be important, both as a link between the spectrums of Clara and the Doctor, and showing the doctor how to deal with being a soldier (possibly?).
Flag
That's what I thought too. That the refusal of Journey because she was a soldier shadows the future relationship of the Doctor & Danny
Flag
Was pretty good - the first and third acts were strong but the middle really fell apart. Capaldi and Coleman were very good - I like Capaldi's different portrayal of The Doctor so far - and you know the chick who ended up in "heaven" told them to remember her name but I bet it's us who should remember cause I'm betting we'll see her, and half-face from last week - again... Good for the most part: 7.5/10.
Flag
Well it's not the first time Missy has made an appearence in the show either.
Flag
Lucky for the Doctor this episode is in the new Doctor adjustment period. I do like that this version of the Doctor is not trying to save corpses. Although it would've been nice if he let the soldier come along. That was the weakest moment of the episode. The best part was Clara's new guy kicking himself for not saying yes. I felt the episode to be a filler and yes it's obvious that Clara will use the Doctor's rejection of the soldier as a guilt trip for bringing her new guy a long. This episode was dry and a bit boring. Is it because of the new Doctor. I don't know.
Flag
I think the fact that The Doctor chooses to travel with Clara, a teacher, and not a solider - was pretty telling of his current frame of mind. That and the horror at his own hatred in this ep - showed how much he wants to be a good man - and to him that means no war/soldiers. Good insight into The Doctor IMO.
Flag
I hope the Doctor changes his mind and Journey Blue ends up becoming a companion post Clara because I really liked her. Danny seems like an ex soldier with PTSD and I'm totally for that. I can't wait for him to meet the Doctor honestly. The episode itself was pretty decent it was definitely different and it shows that 12 isn't like our goofy lighthearted doctors and I love that too lol next week's should be interesting as well!
Flag
To me, this was a meh episode, possibly even a bad one.

Clara was completely sidelined, apart from when she crawled over some plastic tubes and supposedly reactivated buried memories by slapping her hand on a big circle, like something out of a game show.
Question: If the Dalek simply shuts down memories via electrical impulses, how does Clara pushing a big button turn them on? The answer is: Moffat Writing.

The ridiculous antibodies. Daleks are not "an analogue" of a living being, they are living beings, inside a battle/survival suit. At least that is how I always thought of them. Suddenly they have fused organic brains and cybernetic ones? So, different from Cybermen in what way now?
Also, if these floaty buggers can detect grapnels being shot into them, and render a human into dust\gloop, why can't THEY just go weld up the "looks a lot like Amy's crack (LOL!)" damage?

Who are the people on the ship? Why are they there? Why are the Daleks there? Where IS there? WHEN is there? These are questions we used to get answers to. Now, all of those answers are just: because.

We had a couple of seconds with Missy again. I didn't mind this part. Anyone else notice the similarities between what happened when Journey and 'three-names-I-forgot' died? I suspect what Missy is doing may be via a Tardis. Possibly The Master in female form? Master/Mistress/Missy?
More+
Flag
Totally agree on the antibody stuff, and it's ironic that radiation was supposed to cause the malfunction when my understanding was that Daleks needed a high-radiation environment to survive.
Flag
I think it was a bad one. I want to blame the writers. There was no humor or fun. It was just meh.
Flag
thanks, the past episodes of DW had far too much humour and sense of fun, even where didn't need to be.
Flag
What a fantastic episode. Loving the Twelfth big time. So dark and alien and needing Clara to stay 'human'.
Flag
I recall a comment made by fine TV.com member Copioli upon reading my rant against the lacklustre season premiere, "Deep Breath" - to quote him/her, "the episode was superexciting!" Well, 'really hope Copioli hold down to some diapers during "Into the Dalek", because, if last week was 'superexciting', this episode must have may him/her poop his/her pants!

A story we call all actually give a damn about, with genuine peril and danger; another interesting character study on unarguably the biggest villain on this series; cool intro for a seemingly pretty cool second player (sorry haters, I'm pro-Mr Pink!); and the evolution of Capaldi as the Doctor is just fascinating. Plus, the whole Missy-in-the-Afterlife thing is just getting weirder and weirder...

Now that's a Moffat episode of Who I can actually support! I really hope they find a way to keep the tension as it was here - sky-high - was the next episodes, even the Hood one. I will always be all of the Doctor putting himself in ridiculously dangerous situations, as it happened here, and finding a way to get out of it. Keep them coming, Steven!
Flag
Ehrm...well, obviously our preferences are too different. I didn't like this episode. I admit the combat scenes were exciting, they have a Star Wars look and I like new character Danny. I also love Capaldi acting but I didn't like the plot or the Doctor or Clara's behavior.
Flag
Meh.. it was good-ish, but not that good.
Flag
Not a bad episode and I like the attitude of the Doctor but he is asking for more slaps across the face if he doesn't discover some tact. I think an episode that covers a "good" Dalek should have been a two parter and get more into morality than it got to. Especially since we could have got more into the Doctor's mind. That was dealt with too quickly.
And "Missy got an upgrade of "whoa...weird" this week. Last week I thought she was scamming the windup bot but not I'm not so sure.
Flag
This isn't the first time we have met a good Dalek or at least tried to be good, in fact the odd thing about this episode was that the Doctor found it so strange that a Dalek can be good.
Flag
I wasn't a big fan of the episode. For one thing, it didn't really carry through on the Doctor's comment last week about how he's made mistakes and he's going to fix them. (Neither does "Robot of Sherwood" next week.) He kinda stumbled into this episode and his plan to "fix" the Daleks,

I could care less about Clara, Danny Pink, and Coal Hill School. I guess I have the same problem with it that folks had with Mel. We're just sort of dropped into it, because the companion joins us and then we get told about the back story. We get a day in the life of Rose on her intro, we see Martha on her rounds as a doctor, we see Donna having a marriage for herself and then later a "job" breaking into a company to find out their secrets. With Clara as a teacher, we were first told she was a teacher... pretty much at the end of the season during the Christmas special? It wasn't her first few episodes, that's for sure. Ditto with that family she had Christmas dinner with that came out of nowhere.

Some of the visuals were impressive, but I never really thought the team was "inside" a Dalek. Sometimes they go all artsy-fartsy and distorted and swoopy (entering the eyestalk, going down the refuge chute), and sometimes it looks like they set up shop in a factory somewhere. Which they probably did, but sometimes you have to write the script to match what you can actually pull off.

Capaldi's Doctor was okay this time around, although rather Colin Bakerish in parts. Of the first three episodes, I'd say "Robot" is his best.
More+
Flag
We knew about some of Clara's family, the doctor followed her Dad in "Rings of Akhaten"
The teacher thing is definitely not new, or a jump. Clara's always been involved with kids; Oswald was a "junior entertainment manager", Victorian Clara was a Governess and Clara was first a nanny and then we first saw her teaching in the anniversary episode.
The Marcus Aurelius crush line in the first episode was a bit of a call back to the quote she had dictated to the class in the beginning of the 50th anniversary.
Flag
No spoilers please - you're talking about a future ep in your review.
Flag
if it's a spoiler, what specifically do you think is going to happen next week?

The story in no way revolves around that fact.
Flag
He only said that Robot in Sherwood was the best episode from the first three , that's hardly a spoiler IMO.
Flag
Here's a helpful hint - if you ever say in a review - something something blah blah does or doesn't HAPPEN NEXT WEEK - that is a spoiler.
Flag
Gislef quote: "For one thing, it didn't really carry through on the Doctor's comment last week about how he's made mistakes and he's going to fix them. (******* **** "Robot of Sherwood" next week.)" &-- That is a clear spoiler having to do with what happens - next week.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
If it helps, consider it my opinion rather than undisputed fact. Some may think next week's episode does revolve around the referenced statement.
Flag
Flag
Flag
Flag
And the text recap is up, as soon as it clears the cache.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members