A Doctor Who Community
Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC America

I bet the BBC wishes it had a TARDIS right about now.

Several scripts from Doctor Who's upcoming eighth season, the first starring Peter Capaldi in the famous role of the titular time-traveling alien, have made their way to the internet against the BBC's wishes, according to the Radio Times.

Lending credibility to the authenticity of the scripts is the fact that the network is scrambling to cover up the leak and urging fans not to read them, because it clearly doesn't understand how the internet works, or how rabid Whovians are.

"BBC Worldwide is currently investigating a security issue around Doctor Who Series 8 where unfinished material has inadvertently been made public," the BBC said in a statement. "We deeply regret this and apologize to all the show's fans, the BBC, and the cast and crew who have worked tirelessly making the series. We would like to make a plea to anyone who might have any of this material and spoilers associated with it not to share it with a wider audience so that everyone can enjoy the show as it should be seen when it launches. We know only too well that Doctor Who fans are the best in the world and we thank them for their help with this and their continued loyalty."

The leak apparently occurred after the scripts were sent to the BBC's new Latin American headquarters in Miami for translation.

Doctor Who Season 8 premieres Saturday, August 23 at 8pm on BBC America.

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 12/5/2015

Season 9 : Episode 12

39 Comments
Comments (39)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I am an fan, so I will not read any of them and spoil the show... and if I wasn't an fan... why would I read them at all?
I cannot wrap my mind around, why someone would leak these scripts.

Flag
Miami ruins everything.

Anyway, I intend not to read these, that would defeat the purpose of enjoying the show in this case, the flavor of the moment and the surprises and the nuance.
Flag
I'm not sure what kind of person would ruin it for themselves and still call themselves a fan.
Flag
Oh man, if I was an avid Doctor Who fan I wouldn't read those before actually watching the show. One of the best things about watching TV and movies is the anticipation that can build up when you see your favourite character doing what they do best.

If it was a book, yeah I get it. But TV is a visual medium. Why ruin it?
Flag
Maybe the Beeb should have got Malcolm Tucker to deliver it's message about not sharing the scripts:
"You spoil Doctor Who for anyone and I will shove an iPod up your cock!"
Flag
I'm actively avoiding them. I don't want to spoil the experience of a new Doctor for myself by reading and prejudging the episodes.
Flag
Why would anyone want to spoil themselves? Surely is better to wait and watch an episode instead of reading what happens. It would be nice if the actual episodes were to be leaked. The 23rd of August seems a long way away.
Flag
You don't have to worry about spoiling yourself... You have to worry about people spoiling it for other people. Like posting a title saying "The Doctor reveals the TARDIS is powered by cream cheese" or whatever.

Or embedding it in a post you're reading about the Musketeers or Glee.

There are jerks that live on the tears of their victims... and posting spoilers for an anticipated show is the source of much sadness.
Flag
Sadly you make a good point. It's the reason why I stopped reading anything relating to GOT on the web.
Flag
Unfortunately, some jerks like to embed their spoilers in threads about something unrelated. I once read a particularly revealing GoT spoiler on a thread about a space-sim video game.

The thread didn't even TOUCH on anything related to GoT/television/fantasy/swords/whatever. The guy was just a jerk.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
i agree i'm not looking for/reading them.
Flag
Flag
It's not quite the same, but that's like asking why anyone would spoil themselves by reading the books a movie or TV series is based on. Having read The Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, or The Chronicles of Narnia did not prevent me from enjoying the movies when they were released. I can enjoy them both separately. That said, I really couldn't get past Eccleston's run on the show, so this post really isn't relevant to me at all. The title just drew me in.
Flag
But it's not really like reading a book, is it? A lot of movies, TV shows are based, inspired by books. Those books provide a creative direction not the actual film/show narrative and more often than not we find ourselves compering the two works, appreciating each for their strengths and weaknesses separately. However reading a script gives you an ad litteram account of everything that will happen, so no nuances, nothing to interpret or compare, hence no value whatsoever. Probably the reason why scripts to TV shows and movies are not sold as books. Catch my drift?
Flag
**It's not quite the same, but**
Very first line, dude. The reason books only provide a guideline is because it's impossible to encapsulate the entirety of a book into a movies. Cuts and modifications are necessary. As for the script, even if you assume it's the final revision since it was being sent for translation, presumably for the purpose of captioning, it doesn't take into account an actor's interpretation of the lines, changes that might be made during filming, ad libs that might be made. You probably won't get any surprises, but neither were surprised when Dumbledore died, or by the red wedding in Game of Thrones. I am still able to enjoy the cinematics despite knowing what's coming. I'm also able to enjoy watching an episode or movie more than once even know I know for a fact that nothing will have changed since my last viewing. Catch *my* drift?
Flag
Unless we are talking about really big books it's entirely possible encapsulate the entirety of a book into movies or better yet TV shows. Cuts, modifications are often made for creative purposes not necessity. All you said about scripts is true but it does not change the fact that its entirely pointless to read it unless you are directly involved in the making of the project. I have not attacked in any way book readers of Harry Potter or GOT or any other show, movie based on a book and I recognized the value of getting acquainted with the source material. The Harry Potter books are one of my all time favorites and the movies were made even more fun by my book knowledge. As far as GOT goes the shows is already diverging from the books in some ways, so while reading the books might give you some solid insight, reading GOT episode's scripts would only spoil some nice twists. BTW I really hate GOT spoilers!!!
Flag
Really? It must be nice.
Flag
Already reading them. I'm half way through the first script.

I just really hope they spent a nice sum of money on the CGI for this episode.
Flag
I don't think we're going to see too many spoilers floating around. Remember when some DVD's were shipped early (I think it was the end of the last series?) and quite a number of people saw the finale early. I was able to surf the net happy I wouldn't be spoiled and I'm confident now.
Flag
As long as plot details aren't circulated outside of the leaked scripts, which might then spoil the episodes for those viewers who choose not to read them, I don't know that this particular security hole is that big a problem in practical terms. The "rabid Whovians" will, of course, watch the episodes as well as devouring the leaked scripts. More casual fans will watch them later as they air. It is, however, unfortunate that translation services are accumulating a reputation for this type of leak.
Flag
Well we don't know if there's anything shocking in there... something that they wanted to freak everyone out with: a surprise death, a surprise resurrection of an old favorite, a surprise morality shift of a main character, etc.

Imagine if an episode was supposed to have a shocking reveal of the return of one of Romana/River/Rose/etc.! That would have been an epic scene... but if someone posted it all over TV.com then the surprise would be ruined.

Plus there's the whole issue of us JUST getting to know this new Doctor. I imagine the writers / actors were getting excited about establishing what kind of person this new Doctor is. Considering his "free" resurrection is a rare thing and his final words of the finale suggest something is "off" chances are it's going to be fairly different than the last couple.
Flag
Flag
It's too late for the BBC, the scripts are now all over the internet and easy to get if you know where to look, I've read the first 3 spoken lines of the first episode - that was enough of a teaser for me, but I'll read the scripts again after the episodes have aired. I won't share any info - it's not fair on those who don't want to know - if you really want spoilers, as I said, the scripts are pretty easy to get now...
Flag
The words on the page might be interesting ...an I have them prepped and ready... but nothing can compare to having Peter Capaldi deliver the lines I will read. This spoils NOTHING for me.
Flag
I don't get it. Why do people do this to themselves? They knowingly ruin the true experience of watching a show, which is to watch the plot as it happens, without knowing what's going to happen. All for what, so that they can read it with some time in advance? Why bother watching any show? Go online and read what it was/is/is going to be about. Job done. The fuck.
Flag
For me reading scripts that have leaked for other shows in the past have never spoilt the watching of the show live for me.
Flag
Ah, some people just want to ruin the stuff for others, trust me, people are bastards
Flag
Yeah, 'stay classy Whovians'... don't read the spoilers [after all, 10 wouldn't]

Flag
I bet those scripts revealed that The Master's still alive because he's the one who did this.
Flag
I won't look, I prefer to just watch,
Flag
I guess if people want to spoil it for themselves, but I have faith that Doctor Who fans are real nerds, and find the spoiler-alert sacred. If someone REALLY REALLY wants to talk about it, I can only hope others are forewarned.
Flag
" because it clearly doesn't understand how the internet works, or how rabid Whovians are."

Wrong! The BBC make a big mistake before and send out DVDs with a ep "The Name of the Doctor" weeks before it aired and they asked that same Whovians not to leak the ep online before it airs and believe it or not, They DID NOT!
Flag
It's two steps forward, one step back.

True "Who" fans bought the DVDs and watched them, and thus kept their mouths shut for the most part. This made it more difficult for jerks to find the spoilers and post them. Fortunately many jerks are lazy so they probably didn't bother looking too hard so they mostly cancelled each other out.

Here... well it's already blasted on the Internet for any person to grab. So jerks just have to hop onto Reddit or dozens of other sites, read something (on purpose or by accident) and post it. Easy access to jerks == easily ruined days.

Jerks like to live on the tears of their victims.
Flag
I would rather see the episodes as they air then read a script ahead of time.
Flag
If it's a show I really like, then I agree. I'd rather wait and experience it as its meant to be experienced.

If it's a show or film I have no interest in, I'll sometimes just read the spoilers / summary on some Wiki somewhere. I'll have enough interest to know what's going on (for conversation's sake) but not enough to really go and watch the film or the entire TV season.

That being said, I try to never spoil anything for strangers or people I know. It's just a rude thing to do.
Flag
Now if the actual episodes leaked I might be tempted to watch them.
Flag
Apparently some of the episodes got leaked as well - but were taken down almost immediately
Flag
even if I had read them, it wouldn't really take anything away from it. reading a script is far different than watching an actor take it on and perform it. but I wouldn't read a script anyway, I personally get nothing from it.
Flag
Okay, I won't.
Flag
What a shame. First the the Legend of Korra leaks by a Spanish-language network, and now a Doctor Who leak by a Spanish translation company. Que lastima! I for one won't be reading them. I just hope I can avoid hearing any of their details until they're actually aired.
Flag
In a way this is even worst as it the BBC own internal team that leaked it. Through to be fair a very new team in Miami.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members