A Doctor Who Community
Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC America

Fellow Whovians, stop whatever it is that you're doing and start packing your suitcase with tea, jammy dodgers, crisps, and other things British people eat, because BBC America has finally announced a premiere date for Season 8 of Doctor Who and it's less than two months away!

Peter Capaldi's first season as the centuries-old alien known as the Doctor will arrive on your television screens on Saturday, August 23 at 8pm. His eyebrows were first introduced in Doctor Who's 50th Anniversary Special "The Day of the Doctor," and the rest of his body soon followed in the most recent Christmas special "The Time of the Doctor," which also acted as Matt Smith's swan song. 

It'll be interesting to see what kind of man Capaldi's Doctor is. Will he be haunted by his past like Nine and Ten? Will he be full of life and vigor a la Eleven? With every new Doctor comes a new personality, and I can't wait to see what's in store for Twelve (let's not rehash the Twelve vs. Thirteen debate, okay?). Not only is Capaldi much older than the previous two actors who portrayed the Doctor—David Tennant and Smith—but he also has quite large shoes to fill as both men have ever-expanding fanbases.*

Check out the teaser below and then hit the comments with your first impressions.

*No, I'm not forgetting about Christopher Eccleston, but we only had one season with him, okay?! It's hard to deny Tennant and Smith were far more popular among fans!

What do you think, Whovians? Are you excited for Season 8?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 12/5/2015

Season 9 : Episode 12

61 Comments
Comments (61)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
really wishing we get to see some more of River Song, but don't think we will as I think we have already gotten all of her story.
Flag
so so so excited!!!
Flag
I'm so excited!
Flag
Can someone point me toward another trailer that I can watch in Australia.
Flag
I like his outfit. It says, "I WEAR TIES FOR NO ONE."
Flag
I'll be full of anticipatation
Flag
Still so looong until August!
Flag
I'm more cautious of Moffat's new convoluted ideas than the Capaldi's performance.
Flag
Here`s hoping that River Song shows up somewhere during the season :)
Flag
I keep getting a "Susan" vibe off of Clara (Jenna Coleman) in these teasers, even though she's really more like Barbara. It's weird, especially since I don't really see Capaldi as a Hartnell-type Doctor. Who will his Time Lord be most like? My brain just now went straight to Increase Mather from WGN's Salem. Wow.

I think Capaldi could be a great Doctor, if the script quality can rise to his level.
Flag
Increase is a d$?/ and just a crazy person. Who knows a dark crazy powerful doctor could be fun.
Flag
We've had a dark and crazy version of the Doctor, the Valyard in Trial of a Timelord. I know it was only for a few episodes, but he was epic.
Flag
I don't remember those.
Flag
It was during #6, Colin Baker's Doctor Who of the classic series.
Flag
Didn't really enjoy his previous characters from Torchwood/Who as they were just spineless wimps--but am still looking towards a more mature take on the Doctor...
Flag
If you really want to see Peter Capaldi right now watch The Musketeers.
Flag
Fucking region locking, it's unamerican! Or maybe it's quintesentially ameircan?
Flag
SpoilerTV has a video that can be watched from anywhere. you can find it on this page.
Flag
Many thanks, stranger.
Flag
You are most welcome.

And stranger, you must have seen me around here somewhere, I come to play here every day :-)
Flag
@EsmeBuffay Now I feel disappointed :-). I know yours, but we mostly seem to hang out in different communities and, you might never have read one of my posts.
Flag
There are so many names and profile pictures to remember, I come here everyday as well and there's only a handful of people I would recognize the name of picture of.
Flag
Can Not Wait!!!
Flag
No spoilers for me thanks! I have made an appointment on my calendar though ;-P Really looking forward to see Mr. Capaldi!

BTW: I started watching the reboot with #11 Smith and I thought it was very good so I decided to go back to S1 and i was over the Moon with Eccleston. When #9 went through the regeneration I was extremely angry about getting only one series with him but when I saw #10 it was luuuuv at first... erm watch! :-D (I still think that Smith is very good but I do not like him as much as Tennant or even Eccleston.)
Flag
You took the words right out of my mouth.
Flag
Eccleston was my favorite.

I'm not knocking the next two, they were great.

But Eccleston was "fantastic"
Flag
Indeed, he was fantastic! As much as I love the other two Doctors, Christopher Eccleston was my very first introduction to Doctor Who (and he had an amazing, memorable (albeit short) run).

The 9th Doctor will always be special to me :)
Flag
Eccleston forever!
Flag
I really hope they'll do something with Clara. Now that her "mystery" has been solved, she's the most boring companion ever. I want the Ponds back..
Flag
Hope this is better than that photo suggests, that is the type of "trying way too hard" that is grating, and going dark and introspective has been done a lot with Eccleston and Tennant, even Matt Smith pretty much got down in the muck. So hopefully it has more to say than this. Oh, and also that Clara goes home and lives a regular drab life again because they still haven't written her a single moment since we met the "real" her that has been genuine, including the line in that vid.
Flag
Here we go again. DW's struggled since the Ponds left. Let's hope Capaldi is the right catalyst to get Moffat refocused.
Flag
Staff
I think the problem lies more with Clara as a companion than with Moffat's writing, honestly.
Flag
You might be right there.
Flag
I'm pulling for an angry doctor. Capaldi was SO good as Malcom Tucker I'd like to see it somewhat rehashed. I would also hope that it isn't as cheesy as Matt Smith in "The Day of Doctor" and "The Time of the Doctor". I am okay with wibbley-wobbley timey-wimey stuff, but Deus ex Machina into a happy ending is pathetic.
Flag
I'm pumped. Very pumped! Bring it on, Capaldi! I believe in you!
Flag
I gave The Doctor a chance with Tennent. I fell in love with the show thanks to John Barrowman.

This is the 1st time I am super excited for its premiere
Flag
Absolutely luuuv "The Face of Boe" (Capt Jack) LOL! Have you watched Torchwood???
Personally my favourite Doctor Who from the reboot is n# 10! Perfect Ten-nant! LOL
(My first Doctor Who, from the Classic series, was Tom Baker)
Flag
Oh yes. It was Torchwood that got me to go back and watch all of Doctor Who since Eccleston
Flag
Fan-tas-tic! :-D
Flag
I'm quite sure this is the longest I've ever waited for a Doctor. But it's good to finally have a date with one. Looking forward very much to it...
Flag
Well, there were those times that I waited for a Doctor between 1989-1996, and then between 1996-2005; but then, who's counting...;D
Flag
Didn't care about the Doctor back then, but I feel you...
Flag
And healthcare reform was supposed to prevent having to wait for a doctor. Is it possible our government has lied to us?
Flag
Does your wife let you go on dates?
Flag
Does yours?
Flag
I'll let you know just as soon as I catch one.
Flag
It's overated, dude...
Flag
And for all the non US members of this site:

Flag
Grumpy, helpful as always.
Flag
Thanks, it's always frustrating to get the "not available in your country" message.
Flag
Thanks GC.
Flag
What is this BBC you speak of? It is a spinoff of the BBC America station?

- 'Merikin
Flag
Funny how "'Merikin" looks so much like Merkin - its probably best that I don't make comparisons
Flag
No - that would be Brazil
Flag
One is pubic wig. The other is a PUBLIC wig. We call it Canada.
Flag
So Canada is the merkin? That makes America the shorn genital area
Flag
Maybe it's a prequel?
Flag
Also here are some BBC drama teasers:

Including the new drama with Maggie Gyllenhaal

Flag
Woohoo looling forward to those too!
Flag
Good try, Grumpyclown, but the US is rather isolationist with its TV. Nothing against the viewers, but the "powers that be" seem to want to keep arguably the world's best drama off the main channels, unless it's rewritten and re-shot, either with American actors, or almost ludicrously, with non-American actors performing "American" accents.
Flag
Neah, the "powers that be" just want to make some money off of it. What could be more American than that?
Flag
Follow this Show
Members