We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

A Doctor Who Community
Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC America

Did Star Trek director JJ Abrams join the staff of Doctor Who for Season 8? The first full trailer for the new season not only makes the show look sleeker and more stylish than it has in years past, but there are plenty of explosions and at least one space battle. Plus, Clara (Jenna Coleman) asks Peter Capaldi's Doctor where they're going, and he tells her "into darkness." 

All right, Abrams isn't involved, but as soon as there's a lens flare in the TARDIS, I'm calling shenanigans. Hit play on the video below and then hit the comments to name your favorite upcoming storylines. Personally, I'm kind of digging the dinosaur!

It's still too early to tell what kind of man Capaldi's Doctor is going to be, but he's certainly more grounded than Matt Smith's spastic, fez-wearing iteration. Perhaps it's his age, perhaps it's his epic eyebrows, but Capaldi's doctor definitely feels darker than his predecessors, and he brings a certain gravitas to the character that we haven't seen before.

Doctor Who Season 8 premieres Saturday, August 23 at 8pm. Are you ready for the show to return?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 12/5/2015

Season 9 : Episode 12

43 Comments
Comments (43)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I think the audience is ready for a companion death and I nominate Clara Oswald. Any takers?
Flag
I like what I see so far. Why not go a little darker; change the tone? Be a little more serious. Maybe that's just what the show needs. Can't always be as wound up as ten and eleven.

Flag

Still not ginger!
Flag
I know still not ginger!! I know I'm probably gona get crap for this but I would like to see Rupert Grint (another Weasley) play a ginger doctor considering he's the only ginger person alive.
Flag
like 80s (sixth and seventh) darker?
Flag
CAN.NOT.WAIT.

http://corleonesandlannisters.com/2014/07/14/doctor-who-series-8-trailer-preview-capaldi/
Flag
I'm looking forward to everything except Clara. The doctor will always be the doctor regardless on who the actor is because even though you'll favor one over another u can never say u hate a particular doctor. Every actor whose played the doctor has always brought something special the character. Every time there's a new doctor its always the same reaction, 'I don't like the new doctor, I miss the previous one.' 'Hmmmm this doctor is growing on me. 'This guy is great!'
Flag
I did not like Clara last season - but surprisingly I thought she was great in the Season 8 premiere that leaked online.
Flag
Hopefully this season will be more substance than this flashy trailer suggests.
Flag
I wasn't sure - for me Tennant was the quintessential Doctor. Smith was good and Ecclestone was.......'fantastic'. ;) As for John Hurt - if he'd been in the role for a whole series, he'd have been my most favourite Doctor ever. THAT was, very sadly, a magnificent casting coup that was missed I think.

I felt that Capaldi, a Whovian himself, was just Moffat bowing to the Whovian demands for a Doctor of their own this time rather than one to please the new 'fans'.

However, I've reserved judgement, crossed my fingers and sent fervent prayers to any angel that might listen, that Moffat not screw the casting up completely and thereby consign this brilliant show to the tv wastelands for another 20 or 30 years.

It seems my prayers might well have been answered - the doctor now is much older and much, darker. Although when did the age gain happen? Eccleston, et al were 900 and counting; I remember him and Tennant saying so more than once. Nowhere near the two thousand Capaldi states. Tennant was dark too, so was Eccleston, I hear you say - I know, but they had their moments of lightheartedness; I don't think Capaldi will. This is a Doctor on a directive, a medic on a mission - and something tells me it's going to be a bumpy ride for everyone.

Still the inclusion of the very much over used daleks in the first episode means that my judgement is still somewhat reserved, my fingers not yet uncrossed and I'm still sending hopeful prayers heavenward......you can never be too prepared after all can you? ;)
More+
Flag
The Daleks were not in the first episode of this season. Capaldi was awesome.
Flag
Unfortunately here in the UK we're still waiting for the first episode - airing here 23rd August - so my viewpoint was based solely on the trailer which did feature the daleks, albeit it just the 'eyeball' bit and the voice. So please excuse my jumping to a conclusion.

Still the trailer looked extremely good - being a goth myself (and old enough to be one long before it was cool) I like the idea of a much, much darker doctor not playing for any laughs. I think Capaldi might well pull that off; he's has the skills for a somewhat eerie doctor who's nothing like the others.

So happy that the daleks are not in the first episode.......I'm like a room without a roof. ;)
Flag
Smith stated he's 1200 at Lake Silencio and he spent something like 900 years on Trenzalore. So there's your 2000 ;)
Flag
Ah, right, but where did Smith gain the 300? However, with a (space and ) time machine I sincerely doubt he ages on a linear line like the rest of us mere mortals - and I'm starting to sound like a Whovian now, so I'm stepping away from the keyboard and will lie down in a dark room for a bit. lols.
Flag
Can't wait! Looks wonderful, sleek and darker. Hope they still have a bit of fun!
Flag
IDK but from what he is wearing
I think he is going to be more like the third doctor Jon Pertwee
Flag
I saw the first ep for Season 8 last night (Deep Breath) - yes the rumors are true it has indeed leaked onto the internets - and I loved it. Great premiere, no spoilers - but i'd give the Moffat written ep a 9.5/10. Capaldi was fantastic as the new Doctor!
Flag
My wife and I actually experinced a wonderful treat tonight which definitely got us in the mood. We occaisionally watch The Sarah Jane Adventures. I say occasionally, because there's a finite amount of them--due to the sad death of Elizabeth Sladen a few years back--and we like to savor them. This one was called The Death of the Doctor, from season 4. It also featured Jo Jones, one of the Doctor's earlier companions, and several flashback snippits from Sarah Jane and Jo's memories. Matt Smith was also featured quite prominantly as the Doctor of record, and it was a nice surprise--one more time c'mon style.
Flag
As long as the ditzy pixie Clara Oswald is still around I doubt that the series will be any 'darker' than previously.
Flag
I'm really looking forward to it, but still haven't gotten to see the two special episodes. Hulu plus put them up for 2 seconds then yanked them. (I don't have cable) I like the gravitas that Smith couldn't really pull off and Tennant could but rarely did (writers more to blame there...) Capaldi looks dark and weary, as a 1200 year old time lord should.
Flag
oops, 2000 year old
Flag
Finally! I am really looking forward to this. Could not stand Matt Smith...
Flag
So excited. He is clearly going to be a Doctor who has been through a war, like Eccleston's Doctor was when he met Rose, so Clara will not be use to him at all.
i do love some of the guest stars they have listed. I don't know if Sanjeev Bhaskar is going to become a regular, but if he is going to be a comic counterpoint to Clara ala Mickey, that will be epic!!!
Answering which scene has me the most excited, it has to be the Daleks because they have rocked it since the reboot and I expect no less.
I live in Philly where August can be hell on earth, but c'mon August!!!!!!!!!!!!
Flag
Hopefully, this is a move away from the kindergarden shite dr who has been serving up the past few seasons. Looks promising...
Flag
Is the Doctor riding a horse through a city in a nightshirt? Regardless, that is a great trailer.
Flag
That is indeed what is happening in that shot.
Flag
Ahhhhhhhh I'm pumped, and there's a dinosaur a freaking Trex how cool is that, only in doctor who.
Flag
The last time we had dinosaurs on Doctor Who, it wasn't that cool, Moffat made dinosaurs boring.
Flag
Really I've only been watching since doctors 10 and 11. Still its a DINOSAUR ....... :)
Flag
Awesome! I'm personally looking forward to seeing the dinosaur!
Flag
I thought The Doctor was 900 hundred but i distinctly heard him say 2000
Flag
Pertwee's Doctor claimed to be thousands of years old; I think he just makes up a number that seems right.
Flag
He was 1200 in The Day of the Doctor, then was 1500 midway through the Time of the Doctor, and I guess by the end of Time of the Doctor, when he was dying of old age, he was over 2000 years old. It was Christopher Eccleston, David Tennant and Matt Smith's Doctor in series 5 who were in the 900 year old range.
Flag
Thanks for the clarification...
Flag
Agreed.
Flag
They have shown in the past that they don't care about past storylines. This production team does what it want and to the devil with keeping true to the show.
Flag
Actually the last couple of seasons have done a good job at giving continuous updates about the Doctor's age. See @RobertPatch 's post above.

Matt Smith's Doctor aged a fair amount during his run because he would leave the Ponds back on Earth and go on adventures on his own. And he'd drop the increasing number every handful of episodes.

Then in his final episode, he aged a LOT while on his final planet.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
it is that timey wimey wibbly wobbly stuff.
Flag
He aged a lot during Smith's run. There was that time he outlived a cyberman, for example.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members