A Doctor Who Community
Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC America

The BBC has released the first official image of the costume that Peter Capaldi's Doctor will wear when Season 8 premieres in August. While I was personally hoping the Doctor would stray a bit from looking quite so... formal, I do think this is a good look for Twelve. I mean, maybe one day I'll get my dream of seeing a Doctor just running around in jeans, but that day is definitely not today. Plus, I guess jeans wouldn't be all that distinguishable, and the Doctor is definitely someone who stands out. Here's a look at the full costume:

According to the BBC, despite appearances, the pants are in fact dark blue, just like the coat. Peter Capaldi described the costume as, "Simple, stark, and back to basics. No frills, no scarf, no messing, just 100 per cent Rebel Time Lord.” 

What do you think, fellow Whovians? Are you ready to officially say goodbye to "frills" like the bow tie and embrace this new look? I personally kind of love it.

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/20/2017

Season 10 : Episode 6

99 Comments
Comments (99)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I am reminded of my dear man Pertwee aka Doctor #3
Flag
Many of the Doctors have changed costumes during their tenure. Smith being the latest. Most notable was Tom Baker's change in 1980, and McCoy had several. So, we may see 13 (yes, 13) change as well.
That is if he doesn't pull an Eccleston ;)
Flag
Whats with the crazy hands he keeps doing?
Flag
Staff
Looks good to me! I really dig it. Just what I'd expect.
Flag
Lovin' it. What I'd expected from Capaldi's Doctor. Really looking forward to the new direction he takes the character.
Flag
No tie. The majority of Doctors had some sort of neckwear. I guess bowties are no longer cool.
Flag
He does look a bit like a magician but a badass magician. I like it. It's good to go different when changing doctors. I feel it helps mark the passing. Also liked the 100 per cent Rebel Time Lord remark. I have high hopes for Capaldi
Flag
David Tennant's outfit is still my favorite.
Flag
But now if the Master returns, what will HE wear?

Flag
Have no worries....we WILL see, soon enough!
Flag
I like it. Shows promise..
Flag
12th? isn't he the 13th?
Flag
Let's just say that the number has more to do with how we, as the audience, tells them apart, than a strict chronological numbering.

Capaldi is the 12th Doctor, the 13th regeneration, and the 13th actor that has played the role. John Hurt is considered "The War Doctor", leaving Eccleston, Tennant, and Smith to retain their 9th, 10th and 11th Doctor names. Which of course, brings us Capaldi as the 12th Doctor.
Regeneration Actor Name
0 William Hartnell 1st Doctor
1 Patrick Troughton 2nd Doctor
2 Jon Pertwee 3rd Doctor
3 Tom Baker 4th Doctor
4 Peter Davison 5th Doctor
5 Colin Baker 6th Doctor
6 Sylvester McCoy 7th Doctor
7 Paul McGaan 8th Doctor
8 John Hurt War Doctor
9 Christopher Eccleston 9th Doctor
10 David Tennant 10th Doctor
11* David Tennant 10th Doctor
12 Matt Smith 11th Doctor
13 Peter Capaldi 12th Doctor

*The 10th Doctor regenerated in Journey's End, after getting shot by a Dalek at the end of The Stolen Earth. However, instead of letting the regeneration process complete, resulting in a new appearance, he only used enough to heal himself, sending the remaining energy into his severed hand (cut off during The Christmas Invasion).
More +
Flag
Staff
He is technically the 13th incarnation of the Doctor, but he is still called the 12th Doctor because the War Doctor didn't get a number. The BBC and the show itself are referring to him as Twelve.
Flag
he is technically the 13th but the 9th or the 10th is forgotten or something

ahhhhh. I'm tired of figuring this out... 12th or 13th just go along with them, maybe it has something to do with "Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey" thing

Flag
I think he regenerated twice into the same body. So its 13th regeneration but 12th face. Its was mentioned in the xmas special.
Flag
Not going to judge too much until I see him in action. I don't hate the costume, I like the actor, liked Nine and Eleven a lot, but will forever miss Ten.
Flag
August!?! Crap!
Flag
Staff
I know. But they've decided to air the season uninterrupted this year, so I guess that's the trade off.
Flag
I thought he was the 13th Doctor.
Flag
Well, if you really want to get technical, he's the 14th Doctor, because he just had his 13th regeneration. Tennant was the 11th and 12th. Thanks to Davies. ;)
Flag
Technically, yes, but in The Day of the Doctor special you have "all twelve doctors are accounted for" spoken, then you have Capaldi (albeit, only a slit shot of his eyes), saying, "No. 13 is here, too", or something like that, but he definitely says 13. I don't think you can count regenerations of the same Doctor. After all, Matt Smith also regenerated into Matt Smith for a short time.
Flag
Capaldi didn't say anything in the episode. That was the other guy in the room on Gallifrey, correcting the first guy when he said that there was 12 of him.

But that's pretty much irrelevant - because the term "The nth Doctor" has mostly just been used for the viewers to tell the difference between the actors who have played "The Doctor".

So, regardless of the order, or the number, or the regenerations used, Eccleston will always be 9th, Tennant will be 10th, Smith, 11th and so on. That's why all the official sources named Hurt's Doctor, "The War Doctor" - so we don't have to add any unnecessary confusion.

Unfortunately - it appears some just prefer that confusion. :p
Flag
It may have been 'the other guy' in the room on Gallifrey who said it, but there is a very clear cut immediately after to Capaldi's face. And if you're quick enough, you can count the Tardises -- 13 fly past the screen in total, though it's a bit confusing with the others in the background. And hey, if you need to see the pic of Capaldi from the special, just look directly right of this message at the "Another Big Bundle of Doctor Who Goodies" thread; it's the exact picture you see when 'the other guy' says "All 13", and if I'm not mistaken, that is Capaldi.
Flag
Don't. Just... don't.

The Whoverse has been so moffated.... nobody knows, at this point.
Flag
True, I was expecting Cumberbatch to be the next Doctor ;)
Flag
he looks like a badass.
Flag
I've got no problem with the shirt and vest all buttoned up. But the coat doesn't seem to hang right. Is it me or does it seem too tight? Also the overall appearance could need some kind of eye-catching accessory. I'm not talking about a stick of celery like the Fifth, colorful pins like the Sixth, or a bandolier like the War Doctor, just something to set the entire costume apart.
Flag
I'll give Count Whodini a whirl before I judge. I was pretty harsh with Matt Smith initially (change is harrrrrrd), but grew to enjoy his ultra quirky portrayal. I guess all we are saying, is give Pete a chance. :-)
Flag
Good point. I felt the same after the Tennant-Smith regeneration. But the first episode had me swayed.
"basically......run!"
Flag
This reminds me of a tamer version of the third doctor's costume (see Jon Pertwee), mainly cuz the red lining reminds me of 3's cape. Idk Im kind of disappointed cuz 10,11 and 12 are all pretty much in suits. But I think his acting and character development more important

Flag
That's exactly my first impression as well. Probably a combination of the red trim, and the white shirt.
Flag
hmm my link didn't seem to work.. ah just google the 3rd dr and youll know what I mean
Flag
Hey - it's the Cardinal De Richelieu!!!

... So I'm the only one watching The Musketeers? OK. Good to know.
Flag
When I watched the first episode of 'The Musketeers"I was wondering how this would make me feel about the doctor. Would it influence my opinion on the doctor as he plays a terrific bad guy.
Flag
He's really just perfect as Richelieu. Flawless casting there.

But you know as well as anyone here that Mr. Capaldi got serious range, so I expect him to be as goofy as most of the previous Doctors.

But yeah, when he'll go dark... he'll go War Doctor-level dark.
Flag
I am with you! I love The Musketeers. Peter Capaldi makes a great Cardinal Richelieu.
Flag
I don't know, I'm not really liking this at all. Normally I'd love coats like that but I think having it buttoned is throwing me off. I do enjoy the shoes and the sweater vest. But I've never understood why people insist on buttoning shirts all the way up when not wearing a tie of some type. It just looks so uncomfortable and it kind of bothers me for some reason!

So I guess I'm just very perturbed by all the buttoned buttons...

Also, LOL to all the vampire/magician comments, it's pretty spot on :)
Flag
I'm not gonna be shallow & rag about the costume. I'm gonna simply wait & see if the suit fits the character. For all I know up to now, it may be totally in character for Capaldi's Doctor to act like a freaky vampire magician
Flag
Oh c'mon, you're not judging the whole show, just this first look at the outfit. There's no harm in giving a snap opinion to a press image, that's why they put out these things, they want to make some impact. Plus, how can they know if there's a change needed if they don't get feedback? It's not shallow.
Flag
heh! actually, my opinion of the costume was hidden in my comment...granted, the double meaning was intentional. imho, it is shallow; yet I can be just as shallow as anyone else. Ultimately though, a character fits a suit more than a suit fits a character. Besides, with Matt Smith, I learned my lesson not to judge a new Doctor until I see that doctor in action. Smith turned out to be pretty cool in spite of my original snap opinion of him back in his day.
Sometimes, it sucks that wisdom trumps my geek reflex ;)
Flag
I saw it, but I guess after nearly 20 years of online interactions, I've gotten used to people missing their own points, or worse, encouraging others to miss their points. My apologies, well played, that poor old vampire magician freak.

Shallow can be ok within limits. You know why you don't try to immediately train wild grizzly bears in the woods when you see them? Because the book is easily judged by its cover, a cover that displays huge teeth and claws and muscles and yelling.

Plus, Matt Smith is overrated, you were sorta right the first time. ;-)
Flag
I liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiike it and I can't wait for Capaldi!!
Flag
Peter Capaldi is ridiculous ...

just look at his face ...

he's a vampire ..

Flag
Omg after reading your comment I looked up at this autographed pic of James Marsters (Spike from Buffy) in my room and he's posed almost the same way that Peter Capaldi is and I burst out laughing
Flag
I don't think it suits Capaldi very well unfortunately. Hopefully it's just this pic, but it doesn't seem right.
Flag
I'm just happy the Doctor is old(ish) again. The costume... yeah, it's cool. It's a bit of a reference to the first Doc's costume and not every Doctor needs to look like a peacock. Plus, it's not even the least ornate new Who Doctor. Nine may not have time travelled in jeans, but a T-shirt and a leather jacket wasn't exactly screaming eccentric old man.
Flag
Personally I don't have a problem with the "magician" look, as some of you called it. It's kind of fitting in my opinion. The Doctor is a little bit like a magician lately. Especially after Demons Run (there was a lot of trickster talk there, and at the Pandorica also). If that's how Moffat writes the character, it was just a matter of time to catch up to it in the wardrobe departement.
As for Capaldi, I say let's give him a chance. We won't know anything until august. Doctor Who doesn't leak info or anything, so until they want us to see something, we won't. And honestly it wouldn't have mattered who got the part. There is no casting decision that satisfies everybody. When DT left, I couldn't imagine DW without him. And then came Matt Smith. And now I can't imagine DW without him, but I guess either most of us will say the same about Capaldi a year from now, or he will be gone soon enough. We will see.
Flag
Looks great to me! I ask people to look at Colin Baker's or Syvelster McCoy's before judging this one
Flag
That is an incredibly low water mark there. That's like saying "this pate' may not have been made with goose, but it's pretty good because it's not cat shit."
Flag
I don't like the magician look .He looks like the old Master ....
Flag
Looks more Mastery then Doctory
Flag
Okay - breathe - keep repeating 'give him a chance; give him a chance.......' - but I will say he looks like a vampire about to 'glamour' a victim. But you know, fixed grin in place and still waiting to give him a chance. Just, please let him be a bit mad and have a catchphrase/word. Even the normally serious Eccleston was a bit mad and had a catchphrase/word. We do NOT want the old doctors back - seriously.
Flag
For me it's too much, almost like the costume is a character of itself. They are trying to much. Below is the first picture official of the costume of doctor 11. It wasn't standard 21st century either, but it fitted a doctor of our time.

Flag
It was meant to look like a 1950s professor with the tweed and the bow tie, it was meant to be alien and speak to his character. I do agree with you though that this one seems to be trying too hard to make this costume speak - the color is another one of those very obvious choices that has too much voice.
Flag
Tennant wore a bright blue suit with red converse, and you're saying *that* is trying to hard to make the costume speak? What?

The only two actors that played an incarnation of the Doctor, where the outfit wasn't entirely ridiculous or from a completely different time, was Hartnell and Eccleston.
Flag
Tennant's outfit wasn't BRIGHT blue, it was a regular striped blue suit that was slightly too tight but was otherwise unremarkable (unless you are taking issue with the loosened tie and shirt). His shoes were whimsical, and his trenchcoat was what made it a real costume. If you saw someone wearing the 10th Doctor's outfit on the street a decade ago you wouldn't think anything of it.

Hartnell's outfit was half a century out of date, from its weird tie to its awful pants, oversized waistcoat, monocle.
Flag
Am I the only one who thinks the perspective of this pictures makes the scaling of his body appear a little weird? Looks like his legs are more bulky - but shorter - than they should be. Or is it the length of the coat? Dunno, but something looks off.
Aside from that I kind of like the outfit. Too bad we have to wait until August to see Twelve in action.
Flag
The trousers definitely look low-slung, that's not going to help running from monsters.
Flag
Sorry, wasn't Eccleston "running around in jeans"?
Flag
Eccleston was more the exception than the rule as far as the Doctor's costume goes. The only other time when the Doctor's outfit was so low key, was with the First Doctor.
Flag
Oh, my mistake. I was sure there are no exeptions with the Doctor's costumes when every Doctor wears what suits his personality best. No exeptions = every costume is "proper" and "suitable" - for a certain Doctor.
Flag
Well at least he looks different than the last two.

David Tennant and Matt Smith were too similar looking: pale skin, brunette haircuts, wearing earth-tone professor garbs speaking in similar accents. And even though the actors are 10yrs apart they didn't look that differently aged..

The jump from Chris Eccleston to David Tennant was obvious... way different faces, accent. and clothing. But David to Matt was too close.

If you're going to change, make it a big one. Here the body type, age, hair, and clothing at least makes him stand out compared to the last two.
Flag
I think you need to go back and watch some more Tennant episodes. Very rarely was he wearing earth tones, let alone anything that could be considered "professor garb".

Tennant's trademark was Converse shoes with a suit that ranged in color from brown to bright blue. While Smith went with more conventional, albeit dated, fashion.
Flag
I know his signature was the converse shoes. I just did an image search. David would tend to wear suit and (regular) tie.

Either earth-tone, earth-tone with pinstripe, blue with earth-tone trench-coat, or just blue. At least just based on the pics.

Still... often wearing brown vs often wearing brown. Not much of a jump.

At least with Chris Eccleston we went from leather jacket casual to suit. That's a big jump in clothing alone, let alone their distinctive faces.
Flag
True - in the sense that both Ten and Eleven opted for dress clothes, as opposed to casual wear. But in that regard Eccleston was more of an exception than the rule.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not against a casually dressed Doctor, and I enjoyed Eccleston's Doctor just as much as Tennant and Smith; but - he was pretty much the only Doctor that went casual.
Flag
Er - he looks like a vampire - ???
Flag
Why does he look like a magician...?
Flag
If he loses the over coat he looks exactly like Mr. Rogers from Mr. Roger's Neighborhood. Just saying...
Aside from the clothes, I have a feeling this doctor is going to be crazy and dark. I'm cool with that.
Flag
But he isn't wearing a sweater...
Flag
I think it's a nice statement since this doctor is a little bit older than what we have seen since the 9th doctor. More mature Doctor = More distinguished Wardrobe. And what will his Screwdriver look like?? (That sounded a little perverted didn't it??!!!)
Flag
I like the new look!It's a bit Jon Pertwee-esque but not as flamboyant.I'm really glad they are going with an older Dr.Who this time,it'll give the series a different vibe.But Tom Baker will always be my favorite.
Flag
I like it actually. The splash of red and the doc martens are a nice british touch in my book. Especially since Moffatt said 12 is going to be a doctor with a bit of a snarl or what have you, I can't remember the exact words, the outfit works. I'm actually more curious about the sonic screwdriver. Is he getting a new one? Is he keeping the 11the model?
Flag
First impression - he's joining the navy.
Flag
This is not working for me at first blush, the high buttoned coat with red interior and waistcoat is a tad too "weird on purpose" and the Doc Martens aren't helping.

As for wanting jeans, after the trousers we had on the awesome costuming with Eccleston's 9th Doctor, it's been very difficult for this show to find anything cooler without being a suit.
Flag
The Doctor's outfit has pretty much always been "weird on purpose".
Flag
And this is too much of it.
Flag
but...but...Colin Baker?
Flag
I didn't say it was the ONLY weird outfit. Colin Baker had bad producers and writers at the time, they threw an oddball costume to cover that fact up, and ultimately the show suffered for it. Hopefully that won't be the case here.
Flag
Have we decided that we're calling him 12 even though he's 14? I know the BBC called him 12 as well but I'm confused.
I do, however, like that he describes himself as a rebel time lord.
Flag
The numbering is more of a way for us to differentiate between the actors who have played the role, than his official name. Regardless of the actor, he's still "The Doctor".

John Hurt is officially known as "The War Doctor" - and Tennant is known as the 10th Doctor, regardless of the fact that he played through a regeneration.
Flag
I'm afraid those shoes might not be good for running. Maybe, at his age, this Doctor won't run as much. Work smarter, not harder.
Flag
Those are Doc Martens, I recognize them by the translucent sole. They're a very British choice and very different from the recent Doctors, yet still capable enough. Good thing the TARDIS keeps up with the times, I think those are from a recent model, they are similar to an oxblood version they have on the current "Core collection" part of the website but these are black with larger and fewer eyelets.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members