A Doctor Who Community
Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC America

In today's "all the screens, all the time" multimedia landscape, it's really freaking hard to avoid TV spoilers; if you even so much as glanced at Twitter or Facebook during Sunday evening's Breaking Bad series finale, you know what I'm talking about. And while there might be some producers/networks/shows out there who say, "F*ck you and your Christmas holiday" (yeah, I see you, Downton Abbey), that's just not the Doctor Who way. Much like BBC America did with the announcement of the Twelfth Doctor back in August, the network announced that it will air the show's upcoming 50th Anniversary Special, titled "The Day of the Doctor," at the same time it's airing live in the U.K. 

"Whoop-de-do," said the diehard Who fan who lives Brazil. But wait, diehard Who fan who lives in Brazil! There's more! Lest you worry that the Doctor doesn't care about the world outside the U.S. and the U.K., the special will be broadcast simultaneously around the globeRight now its scheduled to air in at least 75 different countries across six continents, and more are expected to sign on in the coming weeks. Don't ask me how we can achieve such precise televised coordination but not, like, world peace or something; at the very least, I'm guessing the Doctor had something to do with it. Also, don't ask me when the special will air in your time zone because I don't even know when it will air in my time zone. And I apologize to those of you who will have to rouse yourself from sleep for the festivities. But David Tennant and Billie Piper will be back, so it's kind of definitely worth it, no? 

For you U.S.-based Who fans, BBC America has also announced that it will hold select 3-D screenings of the special in theaters across the country, in addition to airing an entire week of dedicated Doctor Who programming in November. The lineup will include the new film An Adventure in Space and Time, as well as marathons and specials to be announced. 

And if you live across the pond, there will be an official celebration at London's ExCel convention center the weekend of the special that will feature appearances from cast members old and new, including Matt Smith and former Doctors Sylvester McCoy, Colin Baker, and Tom Baker.

All of which is to say that if "The Day of the Doctor" isn't already marked on your calendar, you might want to pencil it in now: Save the date for November 23, 2013. 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 11/8/2014

Season 8 : Episode 12

32 Comments
Follow this Show
Members