A Doctor Who Community
Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC America

1 (Best). Ninth: It's true, you never forget your first Doctor. I truly think he is the finest one. He has a temper, sure. He doesn't always see everything from Rose's POV, true. But everything he does, he does for a good reason. He really believes that he is making the right choice for every situation. It's a shame he only lasted one season. He was My Doctor right from the very first "Run!" (image credit)

2. Fourth: Big eyes, curly hair, goofy smile. What more could a girl ask for? He had such a spirit for adventure & everything was exciting for him. Plus, he always gave away free Jelly Babies! He was just so fun, & I can't imagine someone more deserving of 7 seasons. He breathed new life into the TARDIS. (image credit)

3. Fifth: He's so DREAMY! He may have had to suffer some annoying companions, but he really took it all in stride. He was more of a team player than some of his other regenerations. Also, did I mention how dreamy he is? (image credit)

4. Seventh: I just love his relationship with Ace. It's one of the most engaging Doctor/companion relationships of the whole series. You really see the Doctor as a mentor, a Father, and a person. He also breathed new life into the series after everyone's (least) favorite regeneration. (image credit)

5. Tenth: What can I say? I know he's a fan favorite, but I took it very hard after Ninth's regeneration. It took me a while to adjust to the Tenth Doctor. Once I did, I could appreciate his zaniness and his love for those around him. He showed the most love for the human race, and I really think that made this Doctor something special. He understood us and accepted us for all our flaws. Also, his regeneration still brings tears to my eyes. I wasn't ready for you to go, either. (image credit)

6. First: There was something magical about the start of the Doctor. He was cranky at times, and yet sometimes he would let out this contagious giggle that I just couldn't resist. I could see a twinkle in his eyes, and I liked it. (image credit)

7. Eleventh: I probably have to apologize for having him so low on my list, but I just can't bring myself to rate him any higher. He is a good Doctor - his zaniness is over the top, but (mostly) in a good way. He's had interesting relationships with his companions. He has done a lot for the series. However, sometimes I just think he's TOO much. He's become a caricature of himself & I miss the PERSON, the SOUL, that was inside the Doctor previously. I think we need less mystery and lies & more, well, humanity (for lack of a better term). (image credit)

8. Third: I think he was a fine Doctor, & I hate to rate him so poorly. But exiled on Earth? BORING! Not his fault, & he did the best he could. (image credit)

9. Eighth: He gets a lot of shit for being in such a bad TV movie, but honestly, he was a fine Doctor! He spends a good portion of the movie not remembering who he is, but he does man up & kiss his companion! Oh la la! I only rate him so poorly because I feel like I didn't really get to know him. It's a shame there wasn't more. (image credit)

10. Second: This one REALLY isn't his fault. Most of his episodes are missing (DESTROYED) so I don't feel like I had the proper exposure and time to get to know him well enough. He often stood back & let other people take charge. I just didn't feel a connection to him as I did with the others. (image credit)

11 (Worst). Sixth: Really, is this a surprise? (image credit)

So there you have it! I know you don't agree, so tell me why in the comments! Who are your favorites?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 12/5/2015

Season 9 : Episode 12

105 Comments
Comments (105)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Judge him not by his size, but the content of his characterization: Patrick Troughton may not have many surviving stories (as mentioned above) but within ALL of those Second Doctor's stories can be found a gift to the viewers.

That gift was the charm of Patrick Troughton, a far cry from the irascible mischief maker he replaced, and his chemistry with regular and guest players on the series. The legacy of the Second Doctor is really the birth of the Doctor as we see him today.

I had my doubts when I watched him portray the Doctor for the first time but in short-order it became apparent that within Patrick Troughton tenure as the Doctor can be found some of the most ambitious and inventive tales in the history of Doctor Who.
Flag
Just to add :
"To the people of the gamma forest the word Doctor means mighty warrior...
How far you've come!"
That had to be the harshest and truest way anybody put the Doctor back in his place and in perspective.

Flag
My favorite is Smith (it has more to do with production quality on older series that look just to fake (like the old Godzillas)).
I like that the series is fun and I love season long stories, but I have to say that I took the end of the Ponds hard, and by far the high point for me was the reveal at the end of A Good Man Goes to War.
River Song monologue nailed the twelfth right on the head.
Flag
Only took an interest in this show after the reboot in 2005. Smith killed the series off for me...Watched the 50th anniversary and it was ok i suppose but nothing like when Eccelson and Tennant ran the show. Not even david could save the episode...thats how poor it was.
Tennant is first on mine, he's a class actor and not only had the emotion Eccelson brought but also charismatic humour. I pretty much said allons-y for a whole month because of this guy!
Eccelson obviously second, its a close call but Tennant edges it. The rest don't really concern me and i'm not that big of a fan to judge and rank the others (although that picture of the sixth doctor has me hating him already)
Smith isn't awful, but i really didn't like him. He seems more of a cbeebies presenter or something...
Flag
Staff
The new Doctor is coming up next so hopefully you'll like him better!
Flag
I have a list but some of them I haven't seen in it's entirety and some of it also has to do with enthusiasm.

1. Hartnell - I think this guy deserves more credit. He was the first and he was also subjected to I would say extreme budgets and limited to the technical advances at the time. If you have seen Space in time - He looked reluctant to go into a "kids" show but he fully embraced the experience and was the subject to the idea of regeneration due to age I guess and forgetting his lines and things. (Kudos to the producers for coming up with this idea - otherwise the show would have been canned.) See Adventure in time and space.

2. Smith - again he is probably on the other scale of budget and technical advances. But he embraced the roll and made it his own. I like his relationship with his companions too. Was said to see Amy and Rory go.

3. Pertwee - The new action packed Dr Who. I don't think I have seen any of the new Dr dress up as a milkman or cleaner to infiltrate the enemy base. LOL. Plus he looked like he had a lot of fun with Jo Grant and Elisabeth Sladen. Plus this Dr wears a cape sometimes.

4. Tennant - This Dr was pretty good too. He embraced the role and gave him personality. They only thing that sets him back is his regeneration scene. Most of the other Dr took it on the chin when they regenerated. As much as I didn't want him to go either.

5. Baker - 7 years is a long stint. But he was a good Dr. I think I only put down points because he was the only Dr not to agree to the 5 Drs episode and they could of used him. Even Hartnell's Dr came back for the 3 Drs and he has sick and in bad shape. Sure he was on a TV for that episode, but he made the effort and enjoyed it.

(Am going to have to rush the last few)

6 McGann - Mini Episode was awesome
7. Eccelson - Didn't make an apperence in Day of the Dr. Don't know if he was asked. But I have heard he left on bad terms.
8. Davison - Celery anyone - I haven't seen many but will do
9. McCoy - Was in the Mcgann Movie and great exit.
10. Troughton
11. Baker (Colin)
More+
Flag
best: 12 (Smith); second: 3; third: tie between 9 & 2
my first Doc was Eccleston and I hated it when he left, but later on Smith won me over and his fun and sweetness - not to mention his connection with the Ponds & River - made him so loveable. My first classic doctor was Troughton but Pertwee (the actor) made his episodes exciting, especially the ones with Roger Delgado (the first Master) - their sword fighting was awesome!
Flag
My first doctor was the ninth, and i saw that season when it came out, about 2005 i believe. I loved the show, and then someday it was some other guy playing the doctor and it was just a silly doctor. It didnt work for me, and i stopped watching the show because of that. Now im trying to see the show again starting from ecclestone to see if i can adapt to the change of doctor. But i dont know, its not the same, the ninth is more the kind of person i want to see on those kinds of situations, not some goofy guy. For me, all that sillyness ends up creating a sooby doo atmosphere, and i really dont like scooby doo.
Flag
I think my first doctor was actually the third, because I remember when Tom Baker took over. I thought he was awesome, but for me Eccleston is still the best of the breed. But really, it's very hard to watch any of the old Doctor Who now because they are so vastly inferior to the new version. So from my limited perspective, it's Eccleston, Tennant, Baker, the outgoing doctor who's actual name I don't recall offhand (I agree - he's too much) and that third doctor that I don't even recall.
Flag
Staff
I don't think the new doctors are vastly superior to the old ones, but the new episodes can be a bit more watchable, especially since so many of the older ones are lost. But revisit some of the older ones when you have time, they're really fantastic!
Flag
I don't mean the new doctors are superior, just that the modern episodes are better. But then, I'm a sucker for production values. I did watch some of the older episodes on netflix. One, I recall, was written by Douglas Adams. They weren't bad, but they just didn't grab me.
Flag
MY first Doctor was Tom Baker. He is, and will always be, the best. But you can't talk about all the Doctors and ignore Peter Cushing! He was in the first two movies!

Flag
Man, the brief glimpse of McGann on the mini web episode showing his regeneration was such a tease. He looked outright badass. Almost more fitting for the role now than then. He's the right age. I'm hoping Capaldi will be great, but for those five or ten minutes I would actually have been OK with a flashback season following him.

Also, for the record, 4, 10, 5, 9, 2, 1, 3, 7, 11, 8, 6.
Flag
Cool! Christopher Eccleston is my first Doctor too and my favourite.
Flag
I almost completely agree with your list, except I would move David Tennant to the top of mine. I loved Eccleston, and was so disappointed when he regenerated after only one season, but then I fell in love with the 10th doctor! (fickle, me?!) It took me a while to warm up to Matt Smith, but I do appreciate him more now. He is just a tad over the top at times though.
Flag
That's exactly how I feel. 9 was my first and I thought I wouldn't like 10 as much but he became my doctor. I'm currently watching classic who (it will take a while) so so far I've only just watch doctors 9,10,11 (and the bit of 12 we all got after the 11th regenerated and the war doctor) and the 1st (I'm still on season 2).
Flag
I couldn't agree with you more. I started watching with Eccleston and he hooked me on the series. I love his persona and the way he interacted with Rose. After he regenerated I had a little resentment towards David Tennant but after pushing through that I couldn't help but admire David more than any other actor in any show. He was my ideal doctor and would of loved a few more seasons. His specials/movies and story arks weren't as rushed so you knew and loved everyone. Hell, after losing my ex during season 3 I actually had this weird obsession/crush on Rose just because he loved her so.

But as you stated, it was HARD to even LIKE or want Matt smith as the doctor, going straight to him after David, I couldn't even look at him. I took a break from the show for a few years and was told by one of my friends to give him another shot, and I did and without the strong feelings towards the old cast/David, I started to enjoy him. I felt his first season was too rushed, everything JUST HAPPENED so fast that it felt like it had to somehow outshine previous seasons? The end of the first episode was a joke, using his past doctors as a treat to protect earth? No other doctor openly had to use his "past" as acknowledgment. With that said, once I got past the second season of Matt, I appreciated him as a doctor.
More +
Flag
Here's my list:

1. 4th- Tom Baker: My first Doctor. I use to watch weekend marathons, on PBS as a child.

2. 10th- Tennant: I love this Doctor. Yes of course, he was over the top at times. But some of my favorite episodes, came from his run.

3. 11th- Smith: I'm just catching up on him. I stopped watching, because i liked Tennant so much. I'm a couple of episodes into season 7, and i'm glad i gave him a chance. Season 6 is one of my favorite Who seasons.

4. 9th- Eccleston: Only one year, but he was brilliant.

5. 3rd- Pertwee: My second Doctor. He may have been stuck on Earth, but he was a good Doctor. And the Brigadier was in a lot of his episodes. And it was the beginning of Sarah Jane Smith.

6. 2nd- Troughton, 7th- McCoy, 8th- McGann: I haven't seen much of 2 & 7, but what i've seen i liked. 8 had a bad movie, but did a good job as the Doctor.

Worse. 1st- Harnell, 5th- Davison, 6th- Colin Baker: 1 was very cranky. I didn't watch 5 for a long time, they killed off Tom Baker! But when i did, i just didn't like him. Do i really have to explain about 6?
More+
Flag
Oops, i meant Matt Smith's first season season 5, is one of my favorite Who seasons.
Flag
I suggest it's about time to reconsider your rating of the eighth Doctor!
Flag
Staff
Even with the recent minisode, I think my rating stands.
Flag
What's wrong with the sixth doctor? (I haven't seen any classic Doctor Who.)
Flag
Staff
He's pretty insufferable! He's really egotistical and bombastic and comes across as a super jerk.
Flag
Here's a problem I have with your list. You shouldn't rate it on the episodes, you should only rate it on the actors and how they portrayed them. Jon Pertwee deserves a higher position because of his portrayal as the Doctor. My list (in no particular order:

David Tennant
Christopher Eccleston
Tom Baker
Jon Pertwee
The rest before Eccleston I never watched
Matt Smith I only started to enjoy with any consistency when he was with Clara. I preferred Karen Gillian, Arthur Darvill and Alex Kingston over Matt Smith. He was just too over the top in his first two seasons. Also, didn't like his outfit. Loved the long coat he wore with Clara.
Flag
Most of them got old and ugly faces. They would have fitted zombie movies without any makeup. I'd rate 1. David Tennant, 2. Matt Smith, 3. Eccleston
Best sidekicks: 1. Karen Gillan, 2. Freema Agyeman , 3. Jenna-Louise Coleman
Flag
Since I've watched very little of the original series and don't intend to do more (sorry, I tried but that does not work for me), I don't think I should be rating all of regenerations and so I'll only stick to those I do know anything about. So here's my *short* list of MY Doctors:

1. Christopher Eccleston, who else, if not him? And if someone should doubt my choice go and re-watch that season and especially Empty Child and Doctor Dances episodes. He ran just for one season, yet he still comes on the very top.
2. Matt Smith, yes, he's young, and I originally had doubts regarding him, but he'd won over my heart with that goofy smile, his zaniness, and quite unexpected deepness. Amy, Rory and lots of River added to the great run.
3. David Tennant, he had his highs and lows, but it was a fun run with this Doctor. And Weeping Angels, though there's very little of DT on that episode, also makes it to my personal favorite top ten of DW episodes, which I could re-watch non-stop ;)
4. Paul McGann. My first Doctor, not as impressive as his later regenerations, but still made a right impression in the 90s
5. William Hartnell, let's just say the beginning was interesting, but I'm never ever going back there again. Never
6. Tom Baker, how could one skip him, huh?

As for the rest of them Doctors... they just go 8 to 10 so far in no particular order leaving the 11 place to Jon Pertwee, since episodes with him to me were simply unwatchable

More+
Flag
I've recently restarted watching Doctor Who (from 2005) and I have to agree 100% that Chris Ecclestone is the best doctor. He is a fine actor for one, he is by far the funniest and most sarcastic. I would have to agree with most of your list there, but I would lace Matt Smith higher, sorry I adore his zaniness, custard and fish fingers, anyone?!
Flag
Staff
You are definitely not alone in that opinion! Most people love Matt Smith's Doctor! :)
Flag
The important thing is who played the Doctor when you were 10 years old. So my favourite Doctor is Three, but only by a nose (!) ahead of Seven, the best actor to play the role in the original run, and served by some excellent scripts. Four was fabulous, but he gets demerits for continuing in the role for too long, and into the abyss that was the JNT-produced 1980s. Loving 11, but Ten was born to play the role and I wish he had stuck it out for another year or so. My rating for Eight is boosted by his general fabulousness in the many Big Finish audio dramas. I remember loving Two at the time, but his adventures (all of which can be enjoyed on DVD or audio with telesnaps) don't match up to my recollection. One's performance, however, is unexpectedly fabulous across almost his entire run. Loved the gloss of the returning show, but Nine forgot that the Doctor is a gentleman from the Home Counties. Six had one good story but an even worse coat than Nine did. Richard E Grant was better as the alternative 10th Doctor than he was as the original Ninth. I presume that another actor played the role between 1981 and 1984, but happily old age has wiped the experience from my consciousness.

1. Pertwee
2. McCoy
3. Tennant
4. T Baker
5. Hartnell
6. McGann
7. Smith
8. Troughton
9. Eccleston
10. C Baker
11. Atkinson
12. R E Grant
13. H Grant
14. Lumley
15. Broadbent
16. Hurndall
17. Capaldi
18. errm...
More+
Flag
Funny the similarities and differences of our lists. I totally agree with your comments on Smith. Eccleston's appeal to me was that darkness in him coupled with a very alien and different way of dealing with things. As for Tom Baker, I like the idea of him, but the actual reality is too many extremes, too light jumping to too dark. I do think you're mad to have Tennant so low though. I am not sure if you're really rating the Doctors or their seasons with your explanations though, Pertwee's stories may have been trapped but his performances were not.

My list looks like this:
  1. Eccleston 9th
  2. Tennant 10th
  3. Troughton 2nd
  4. Baker (Tom) 4th
  5. Pertwee 3rd
  6. McGann 8th
  7. Smith 11th
  8. Davison 5th
  9. Baker (Colin) 6th
  10. McCoy 7th
  11. Hartnell 1st
Flag
Staff
Great list!
Flag
1. 4th 2. 7th 3. 10th 4. 9th 5. 8th 6. 3rd 7. 2nd 8. 5th 9. 1st 10. 11th 11. 6th
Flag
Staff
Poor 6th, always last!
Flag
He almost turned me off the show, he was so bad. If it hadn't been for #7, I would've lost all hope of ever watching it again.
Flag
1. Second 2. Fifth 3. Tenth 4. Fourth 5. Eleventh 6. Third 7. Sixth
8. Seventh 9. First 10. Ninth 11. Eighth Unlike others I don't feel I have to list sixth last.
Flag
I'm not going to include the second, third, fourth, and eighth Doctor's on my list because I haven't seen enough of their episode to gauge my thoughts on them (I do feel sorry for Pertwee though, stuck on Earth and all).

My favourite is the sixth Doctor Colin Baker (see here for my explanation: http://www.tv.com/shows/doctor-who-2005/community/post/what-is-your-doctor-who-experience-1376592242/
Then Hartnell, McCoy, Tennant, Eccleston, Tom Baker and Smith.
Flag
There is a posting on the Doctor Who 1963 forum "Supporters of Colin Baker #6 Doctor. I liked your explanation and think it would add much to the discussion there. Thanks.
Flag
Seriously, Christopher Eccleston should have stayed for just another season - to this day, his early departure makes me tremendously sad. We just don't know enough about THAT Doctor.
Flag
DW came out when I was 9 and after an episode involving the slitheens I was scared off for a while (every time somebody farted I panicked).

I started watching again when Tennant became the Doctor and he was so charismatic and gorgeous I would sit through episodes absolutely terrified but still come back the next week.

Nowadays it's my favourite show. I have started on the classic series from three-era onwards (Classic Master is brilliant) and I am really enjoying it.

My ranking so far:
1. Ten
2. Nine
3. Eleven
4. Three

However I am a big Capaldi fan (esp in the Thick of it) so I think this time next year twelve will be my number one.
Flag
Staff
Me too! I have high hopes that Capaldi will soon enter the top of my list. Where are you in the classic series so far? Have you hit Tom Baker yet? (swoon!)
Flag
Not yet but many of my relatives say he is their favourite so I am looking forward to it. :D
Flag
How could we disagree with such a well thought out and comprehensive list as this. I'm not familiar with all the Doctors, but I can see that you are and kudos for that. Chris Eccleston was my first too and he gets a bad rap sometimes, but he was great. Very good job here...
Flag
Staff
Thanks! I know everyone has their own favs, and I love hearing everyone's reasons why they love one Doctor over another.
Flag
In my book, A Brief History of Time Travel, chapter six belongs to The Doctor and much that he surveys. I'm obviously not as big a fan as you are but I do love The Doctor. Also, in my attempt to purchase the site to promote my book I tried www.abrieffhistoryoftimetravel.com and found it was already taken by a British group who are very soon kicking off new radio broadcasts of their series of the same name. You should check it out as nothing is sacred, including their beloved Stephen Hawking. There are some samples available now and if you love The Doctor I believe you will love this. So, my site is www.historyoftometravel.com and you can discuss time travel on my forum and I need a Doctor Who presence if you, or anyone here would be so inclined. I just love time travel. Also, I posted What are the Rules of Time Travel on the Continuum community if you'd like to take a look.
Flag
I love your list! I've only started watching since the 2005 reboot so I'm familiar with 9th, 10th and 11th.
Christopher Eccleston was my first Doctor and has a very special place in my heart. However, David Tennant's 10th Doctor will always be my favorite, even though I couldn't stand him when he first appear in The Christmas Invasion. (I had a hard time letting go of Eccleston), but Tennant had two more seasons and therefore I got to know him a lot better. Ironically, his humanity, as you put it, is one of my favorite things about him.
Matt Smith's doctor was the one I had the most problems with (Don't get me wrong, I love 11th and I think Smith's done an outstanding job) but letting go of your favorite is NEVER easy (I'm also not big on change), but as you said, he was sometimes too much. He was funny and great but didn't feel very 'Doctor' to me. Of course, he grew on me with time, but there's still that something you so cleverly put into words about him...
Flag
Staff
Thank you! I'm right there with you about having a hard time letting go of Eccleston. I think I held that against Tennant for a long time, even though it wasn't his fault! But now that I'm used to the format of the show (that main characters and Doctors will come and go at will) I am ready for what the producers are going to throw at me!
Flag
Right there with you. I'm ready for 12th.
Flag
I don't know all the doctors; only the first, fourth, ninth, tenth and eleventh. I did see the second, third and fifth in the five doctors special but that doesn't really count.
My first doctor was 11 so I like him the most but what you said about him is kinda right. I also like 10 very much - I can't really decide if I like 10 more or 11...
9 is also okay but I think I like the eccentric doctors more. xD
I also really like the first doctor, he sure was cranky but also funny. I don't like Susan though...
May I ask: what is so bad about the sixth? I never watched an episode with him.
Flag
I'd recommend watching Tomb of the Cybermen, Mind Robber, and Krotons if you want to get a feel for the 2nd Doctor. As I noted earlier, the rest are a bit long and don't feature the 2nd Doctor very much.
Flag
Ah, thank you, I will try to find them. :)
Flag
Staff
He's just pretty insufferable. He's really egotistical and his companion Peri is hands down the most annoying. They hired her for her sex appeal (and often she's dressed in skimpy outfits) but her acting ability could have used some help. The Sixth Doctor is very bombastic and often acts like he knows best and everyone else is an idiot. He's not actually a bad person, but it's really the way he acts and says things that bugs me.
Flag
This is precisely why the sixth Doctor is my favourite! He was more of an anti-hero, way before his time, in my opinion. I mean, when you think about the Doctor as a character in restrocpect, wouldn't Colin Baker's portrayal make the most sense? The character description alone, a hundreds of years old alien with the ability to travel through all of space and time, doesn't that sound like he would be egotistical and bombastic?
Flag
Staff
It could make a person humble and awe-inspired. Not necessarily egotistical. Although many of the Doctors did play it that way!
Flag
Ah, okay, thanks for the answer. That really doesn't sound good...
Flag
Staff
@No1Slayerette - Have you listened to his audio adventures? I have heard he's fantastic in them, even from people who hate him!
Flag
Staff
He's generally considered an embarrassment of a Doctor, though I hear there are some fans out there. I also heard that he is very good in his audio adventure series.
Flag
Staff
@Muderboy - Yeah the 2nd Doctor definitely has the same look!
Flag
One of those fans would be me!
Flag
He reminds me very much of The Tree Stooge's, Moe.
Flag
Third Doctor is my favourite. I grew up watching repeats of his adventures with UNIT and I love the 'family' atmosphere. To say him being stuck on Earth is boring is a little out of order - considering so much of the 'New Who' stuff has been set on Earth anyway ;-)

Eight and Ninth Docs definitely needed more screen time, it's a pity that we have such a gap in on screen action in the Doctor's life!

After meeting Colin Baker I have come to respect his Doctor more than I did before and again it's a pity he didn't get a chance to shine more!

David Tennant is a fab Doctor and has clearly taken the Tom Baker crown for popularity in the new series.

I haven't seen enough of the Second but what i have seen shows the BBC made a big mistake in junking the old episodes back in the 60s/70s.

First, Fifth and Seventh Doctors are alright but have never stood out for me.

Eleven has had the potential for greatness but has been stopped by some poor stories and woefully convoluted plots.
More+
Flag
Staff
I know, it blows my mind that they thought it was a good idea to trash those episodes! A lot of the ones from the First Doctor are missing but the amount missing from the Second Doctor's time is astounding! Almost FULL seasons are missing!
Flag
My fingers are crossed the rumours i've read about the BBC finding a chunk of the missing episodes and are holding onto them for the 50th are true!
Flag
Staff
Gislef mentioned that, too! I really HOPE so! Would be awesome to get to see them.
Flag
Are all the doctors' episodes available online somewhere?

Oh, by the by, I wouldn't have had to comment three times in a row if we had an edit button.

Flag
Staff
No, most of the older seasons are not available in full. But Amazon & Netflix do have selected stories from each Doctor (which is hardly good enough!). I've watched them through friends' DVD sets. But if you want to see which eps are available check out the episode guide on TV.com here. The ones available have a play button over the image on the episode guide.
Flag
I can't say enough about the tv.com Episode Lists. They are very comprehensive in most respects and only occasionally one will not be there like the show Seven Days which was a turn of the century time travel show on the now defunct UPN. I recently discovered it and it's not bad with a pretty good cast of Jonathan LaPaglia in the lead role.
Flag
While a search for "Seven Days" doesn't show the show on tv.com, searching for Jonathan LaPaglia brings up his page with his credit on all 66 episodes, and links to the "7 Days" show.
Flag
Seven Days is on tv.com... It's listed as "7 Days," however.

http://www.tv.com/shows/7-days/

I'm not sure why TV.com has it listed as 7 instead of Seven. Jessica can retitle it as necessary.
Flag
Staff
If you ever find a show that's not on TV.com that you would like to see listed you can email new shows@tv.com & we'll get it up ASAP :)
Flag
Thank you!
Flag
Yes...thank you
Flag
I think you are correct. You're first doctor is the one you love the best. My first was Matt Smith. To me he will always be THE doctor. But I've come to adore David Tennett. He was fresh as a daisy and such a delight to just watch. Some of his stories were really memorable. I also quite liked the ninth doctor. Those are the only ones I've seen. I'm sure all of them were fine, because in the end it's the character I love, but Matt Smith will always be the special doctor in my heart.
Flag
"You're first doctor is the one you love the best." Not always. My first Doctor was Jon Pertwee, but my favorite is Tom Baker. I was about to quit the #3's series until he regenerated into Tom Baker, then I was hooked.
Flag
I agree; I was wrong. l My sister wasted no time telling me that (she's good that way). Her first doctor was number 9, but her most beloved was the same as mine, Matt Smith.
Flag
Staff
I really DO think there's something true in the you never forget your first Doctor thing. Most people I know still absolutely adore their first one (despite their flaws or despite how great others are). Myself, included!
Flag
Argghh!!! Your, not you're. Where's the edit button?
Flag
Staff
We can't edit comments yet but good suggestion! I know how much it pains me when I find an edit after I've already hit submit!
Flag
1st Sylvester McCoy (loved the darker approach to the Doctor and Ace was one of the best companions)
2nd Tom Baker (was number 1 for a long time till I came across McCoys Doctor)
3rd David Tennant (was best of the modern doctors by far)
4th Patrick Troughton (probably the most underrated Doctor)
5th William Hartnell (have to respect the first Doctor)
6th Christopher Eccleston (would have ranked higher if he had stuck around longer)
7th Paul McGann (never really got a chance to shine thanks to that heap of garbage movie)
8th Matt Smith (while he's had some good episodes he can be to animated at times and it comes across as over the top)
9th Peter Davidson (found him annoying at times)
10th Jon Pertwee (never could relate to his Doctor)
11th Colin Baker (the clothes killed it for me, reminds me of a cross between a clown and a ring master)
Flag
Staff
I know, poor Paul McGann! He could have been a good Doctor but we'll never really know.
Flag
Have you read any of the BBC novels, or the last Virgin novel with him? Dying Days pretty well covers him, and has a lot of SF TV and movie injokes as well. (Probably hard to find, though.)

Lawrence Miles' "Alien Bodies" is another good one, watching him work out what the "horsey" does in chess.
Flag
Yeah its a shame, he was the only good thing in that whole movie. He'll forever be the George Lazenby of the Dr Who Universe.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Totally agree with the worst choice. But Patrick Troughton deserves to be further up the list. If it wasnt for his regeneration of the role, deciding how to play the doctor but not the previous doctor, the series would have died in the 60's. He had some fantastic episodes and deserves to be further up the list. Shame on you!!!
Flag
Staff
I can only base it on what I've seen! A lot of this episodes are missing (destroyed by the network) & the ones that remain just don't really showcase him that well.
Flag
There is more out there, look harder!!!! He certainly merits higher on the list.
Flag
Of course, ratings are so subjective that it's foolish to argue against anyone's choice. So I merely present my own abbreviated list. The middle ones are often subject to fluctuation.
1) The Second Doctor. That never fluctuates. Fell in love with him in The Three Doctors. It's not surprising that so many recent Doctor actors have cited Troughton as an inspiration. He's the childish/eccentric mysterious genius. Catch all the missing episodes if you can.
2) - 3) Seventh and 11th: I like the goofy Matt Smith portrayal. My wife hates it. ;) Sylvester McCoy was the dark somber plotter behind a cheerful facade. I'd probably give McCoy a clearcut #2 but there's those first four episodes. Ugh. Both of them are probably the most blatantly influenced by Troughton's performance.
4) - 5) First and Fourth: Tom Baker would go up a spot or two, but the Douglas Adams period of overacting leaves a sour taste in the mouth. Hartnell, maybe I should rate him a little lower, but you have to give him credit for creating the part out of nothing.
7) Third: I grew up with him, but the James Bond-ish martial artist type doesn't seem to have aged well.
6) Tenth: I know he's THE modern-day Doctor, but he's never really grown on me.
8) Ninth: I think he grew into the part, but I like my Doctors a little more eccentric. Sometimes he just came across as a guy in a leather jacket. Kind of the opposite of the Sixth: 6th went too overboard, and sometimes the 9th not overboard enough.
9) Eight: There just isn't enough there to really make a judgment. I like him well enough and he's great in the Target novel line.
10) Fifth: Davison really has too much baggage, saddled with 2-3 companions (and one of them being Adric). When he was doing the Doctor, he was good. When they were trying to make him a gentler, wiser, impotent "There should have been another way" Doctor, not so much.
11) The Sixth Doctor, based only on his TV appearances. I've heard good things about Colin Baker's Big Finish work, but he was basically just an experiment that didn't work out very well.
More+
Flag
Staff
How CAN I catch the missing eps? I so want to! I have the audio versions, so I'm going to give those a try but it's just not the same :(

I agree I've heard fantastic things about 6's work in the audio adventures. I plan on giving those a try, too.
Flag
I think the main problem is that in the B&W episodes, neither Doctor is on-screen enough to really get a "feel" for them. From Pertwee on, the Doctor spends a lot of time onscreen. But combine longer episodes with less focus on the Doctor, and the 1963-69 episodes mean you have to slog through a lot to get to the Doctor-ish stuff.
The Three Doctors is kind of the Cliff's Note version of the 2nd Doctor.
Flag
Dominators and War Games are kind of slow, but Tomb of the Cybermen, Krotons, Invasion, and Mind Robber are pretty representative of him. And the one existing episode of Evil of the Daleks.
Flag
Or you can read the Target novels if you can find them. I've got a basement of all of them around here somewhere... :)
Flag
Well, rumor has it that the BBC plans to release some for the 50th.
But sorry, I meant catch all the bits and pieces of the 2nd Doctor stories that have missing episodes in them. Most of them are on DVD or Youtube.
Flag
Plus they seem to be filling in some of them with stop-motion animation anyway. The Invasion is pretty good, but even better if/when you see the missing episodes.
Flag
Staff
Good to know! I do hope they are able to release some for the 50th. I would love to get to know him a little better. I didn't feel like the eps left over were enough!
Flag
I can't rate them all, since I've only seen a handful of episodes from the original series. Still, The Tenth Doctor is hands down my favorite. And yes, he was my first Doctor. I can see what you mean about 11 being a caricature. He has kind of become that recently. I was disappointed in last season. But take another look at seasons 5 & 6. Matt Smith is a really good actor. I'm really looking forward to what a great actor like Peter Capaldi will do with the role.
Flag
Staff
Matt Smith has definitely has some great moments, don't get me wrong. I appreciate what he's done for the series and in the role. But I do suppose the last few seasons have really coloured my opinion on him. I didn't like him at first, either. I'm ready for the show to go in a new direction!
Flag
I have a good feeling about Peter Capaldi, what with him already being a fan and all. He's a very good actor and can be very funny.
Flag
Staff
Agree! I'm really excited for Peter Capaldi's Doctor. I've been wanting an older one for a while now.
Flag
The episode in which New London was flying around on the back of an animal really showed the depth of Smith's ability. The wonderfully, optimistic, lovable doctor was very, very angry, and I could feel that anger and the underlying horror through the screen. It was absolutely sublime.
Flag
Staff
Yeah, I LOVED that episode!
Flag
I remember my Dad watching the Fourth Doctor when I was a kid. I never got into it back then, everything looked so weird and cheesy to me. I'm sure that's the reason why it's taken me so long to get into it today. I've only watched about half of the Ninth Doctor's season, but I keep meaning to get around to getting caught up.
Flag
Back in 1981 I went to a friend's house on Saturday night and we watched Doctor Who. I think the Doctor was Tom Baker. I didn't see the appeal at all. That was my only DW experience until 2011.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members