A Doctor Who Community
Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC America (Returning "Deep Breath" premiering August 23, 2014)

HOLY SH*T, THAT'S A LOT OF MONEY

... Just a few days after FXX canceled Totally Biased with W. Bell and we wondered whether FX's decision to launch the new network was a mistake, the fledgling enterprise made a pretty baller move and bought the entire back catalog of The Simpsons. They're saying it's the biggest off-network deal in history, and the price tag was an estimated $750 million. Beginning in August 2014, FXX will have the exclusive cable rights to the long-running animated sitcom, and FX's mobile viewing app—the soon-to-be-launched FXNOW—will have the online streaming rights to every one of the show's past seasons (for instance, if the deal started today, FXX would have Seasons 1-24, because Season 25 is currently airing Sundays on Fox). Soooooo, that's a lot of freakin' money, man. [FX via press release]

BUSINESS TIME

... If you're a bit confused about where John Hurt fits in with the timeline of the Doctor on Doctor Who after watching "The Night of the Doctor," Steven Moffat has cleared it up in a new interview. In short: Hurt's character doesn't call himself the Doctor, so wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey magic and the other incarnations of the Doctor are still accurately numbered. [Radio Times]

... Klondike, Discovery's first foray into scripted projects, will premiere January 20 at 9pm and air over three consecutive nights. A true story about two travelers heading out west during the Gold Rush, the miniseries stars Game of Thrones' Robb Stark (Richard Madden) and that woman who once dated Ryan Phillippe (Abbie Cornish). [TV Guide]

... The El Rey Network, which I already made fun of last week and have no energy to make fun of today, has announced some new cast members for Robert Rodriguez's From Dusk Till Dawn TV series. Robert Patrick (True Blood), Madison Davenport (Shameless), and Brandon Soo Hoo (Tropic Thunder) will star as Jacob Fuller, Kate Fuller, and Scott Fuller, respectively. Also joining the cast are Eiza González as Santánico Pandemonium (editor's note: OMG that name!). [El Rey via press release]

... Dear Syfy Executives: I hope this letter finds you well and that you received the care package I sent in the wake of that deadly Sharknado attack. Okay, now that we've got that out of the way, please hear me when I say that no one wants or needs another Beowulf adaptation. Seriously, just say no. XOXO, The Rest of the World P.S. No hard feelings. P.P. S. Did you like the macaroons? [EW]

... This week has been all over the place in terms of late-night news, with FXX's cancellation of Totally Biased with W. Kamau BellComedy Central's axing of The Jeselnik Offensive, and then HBO's poaching of John Oliver from The Daily Show. And now @midnight, Chris Hardwick's latest adventure, has been renewed for a second season on Comedy Central. It will return with 40 more weeks' worth of goodies alongside The Daily Show and The Colbert Report in January. BUT WAIT, because I'm not done yet. Alec Baldwin's new late-night show on MSNBC is being suspended for two weeks in the wake of Alec Baldwin acting like a douchenozzle (again). [THR / Variety]

... Rumors are flying that the AMC's in-progress Walking Dead spin-off will be a prequel of sorts that takes place during the early days of the epidemic. Of course, the series is still in the early stages of development and AMC is refusing to comment, so take from that what you will. [TV Line]

... Just in time for Black Friday, GSN has announced that it's acquired the rights to air the classic game show Shop 'Til You Drop. The show originally ran from 1991 until 2005, but beginning Monday, December 2 you'll be able to watch it weekdays at 4pm and 4:30pm. [GSN via press release]

CASTING NEWS

... Shelley Hennig (The Secret Circle) has been cast in a highly secretive role on Teen Wolf. She'll appear in Season 3B, which premieres January 6 on MTV. This is pretty much the only thing I care about anymore, so if January could get here like right now, that would be great. [E! Online]

... Michelle Trachtenberg's on TV; must be Tuesday! The actress will guest-star on NCIS: LA as Lily, an environmentalist and private chef (LOL) whose world is turned upside down after a home invasion. The episode is set to air December 17. [EW]

... The Mentalist has upgraded Emily Swallow to a series regular before her character, Kim Fischer, even debuts on the series. She was originally only signed on for three episodes, but apparently the producers liked picking up what Emily was putting down. Or something. It's Friday. Just go with it, please. [TV Line]

... Fred Armisen will attempt to add some humor to Super Fun Night when he guest-stars on the sorry excuse for a comedy as Brian Headfoot, the head of HR at Kimmie's law firm. The episode will air in early 2014, because ABC refuses to just cancel the series. [EW]

... Aly Michalka (Easy A) has been cast as a love interest for Amber Tamblyn's lesbian character on Two and a Half Men. Michalka's will play someone named Brooke in two episodes, the first of which is scheduled to air December 12. [TV Line]

REQUIRED READING

... The Wrap did some math and looked at a lot of numbers to determine that the median income of Modern Family viewers is $81,800 a year. This might explain why I don't find Modern Family very funny. [The Wrap]

41 Comments
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:00 pm
    Dateline NBC
    NEW
    NBC
  • 9:00 pm
    What Would You Do?
    NEW
    ABC
  • 10:00 pm