A Doctor Who Community
Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC America

KILLED BY RATINGS NEWS

... Two months ahead of its Season 2 debut on BBC America, OG BBC has killed off Ripper Street due to the fact that no one actually watched Ripper Street. I feel kind of responsible for this, because it's one of those series that I saw the commercials for and was like, "Hey! That looks sort of interesting. But not nearly as interesting as this other interesting show. Bye, Ripper Street! Hello, Teen Wolf!" If this also happened to you, the important thing to remember is to not blame yourself. Blame Matthew Macfayden and the rest of the cast for not being on a show about teenage werewolf hunks. [Variety]

BUSINESS TIME

... Syfy has given a series order to Dominion, a supernatural series based on the 2010 film Legion. It's set 25 years in the future after an Earth-raving war between angels, who are led by Gabriel, and mankind (with the help of archangel Michael), and follows a young soldier played by Christopher Egan (Kings) who finds out he's actually the savior of humanity. Joining Egan are Tom Wisdom (300), Roxanne McKee (Game of Thrones), Alan Dale (Lost), Anthony Stewart Head (Buffy the Vampire Slayer), and Luke Allen-Gale (The Borgias). [Syfy via press release]

... Jenji Kohan, who's brought to life both Weeds and Orange Is the New Black, is developing a period piece for HBO centered on everyone's new favorite historical subject matter: the town of Salem, Massachusetts and its infamous history (p.s. WGN America already has a series in the works focusing on the same time period starring Nikita's Shane West). Kohan will write the script with Bruce Miller (Alphas) and Tracy Miller. [THR]

... TV Land has granted Cedric the Entertainer's series The Soul Man a third season. The order for eight more episodes comes more than three months after the Season 2 finale aired. If you were holding your breath for this news, you're probably already dead. [Deadline

... BBC America has released new photos from the Doctor Who Christmas special, which is set to air Wednesday, December 25 (obviously) at 9pm. Titled "The Time of the Doctor," I'm sure it's just your average run-of-the-mill episode and absolutely nothing of importance is happening. Check out the photos in the gallery below:

... IFC announced today that R. Kelly's "ultimate hip hopera" Trapped in the Closet will be back for more drama and shenanigans sometime in 2014. They also asked me to pass along this message: All 33 previous chapters will air on IFC on Saturday, December 7 at 5:15pm. In return, I'd like for IFC and the rest of the world to never use the words "hip hopera" again. Thanx. [IFC via press release]

... Heather Morris, Mark Salling, Amber Riley, and Harry Shum Jr. will all be returning for Glee's 100th episode. Aaaaand Ryan Murphy might even let them sing! [E! Online]

... Comedian, actor, and marathon-runner Eddie Izzard has inked a one-year talent deal with NBC Entertainment which will also give him an executive-producing credit if he's cast as the lead in a series. The world always needs more Eddie Izzard, so let's hope something good comes along soon. [The Wrap]

... Billy Crystal's autobiographical Broadway play 700 Sundays is coming soon to HBO. The one-man show features Crystal playing several characters who've helped him to become the man he is today. The special, Crystal's sixth for HBO, will be taped in early January and air on the pay cabler sometime in 2014. [HBO via press release]

... Archer's newest trailer warns viewers against the danger of ninjas. This is a serious problem and we should all know what to do if we encounter one. Also, Archer returns with all-new episodes on January 13.

CASTING NEWS

... Fringe alum Lance Reddick is joining American Horror Story: Coven when the series returns in January because God loves us all. He'll be playing Papa Legba, the series' version of "voodoo Satan," in the final episodes of the season. Apparently he's the one responsible for Marie Laveau's everlasting youth. [EW]

... Once Upon a Time has found its Rapunzel and she looks a lot like a former witch who once lived in New Orleans. Alexandra Metz, who played Katie on The CW's The Originalswill make her debut in Episode 14, which airs early in the second half of Season 3. [TV Line]

... Look, I love The CW and I'm totally not ashamed to admit it. But I still won't touch Beauty and the Beast. That being said, Tom Everett Scott is super open to touching Beauty and the Beast (probably not in that way). He's been cast in the recurring role of Sam, an archaeologist with a short temper. He'll make his first appearance in Episode 12. [EW]

... Robert Wisdom (Nashville) has been cast opposite Paul Giamatti in FX's drama pilot Hoke. Based on a series of novels by Charles Willeford, the drama is set in Miami in the '80s and Giamatti plays the titular homicide detective who might just be a tiny bit off his rocker. Wisdom will play Major Brownley, Hoke's boss and the head of the Homicide Squad. [Deadline]

REQUIRED READING

... David Simon, the creator of The Wire, wrote a wonderful story for GQ Magazine about Michael B. Jordan, the young actor who played Wallace on the series. Jordan later went on to shine in TV series like Friday Night Lights and Parenthood, and most recently, he starred in the film Fruitvale Station, which GQ is highlighting as the Breakout Performance of the Year. If you're a fan of Jordan, or even just appreciate his talent, it's probably worth a read. [GQ]

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 12/5/2015

Season 9 : Episode 12

90 Comments
Comments (90)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Ripper Street is such a fantastic series that it's criminal that the BBC has cancelled it. You can help out by signing the online petition (http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/reverse-the-bbc-s-decision-to-cancel-ripper-street) and follow @SaveRipperStreet on Twitter #SaveRipperStreet
Flag
Aww. Ripper Street was awesome.
Flag
While season 2 hasn't aired here yet so I can't comment on whether the quality changed, I did likeRipper Street in its first season so it's sad to see it go. Maybe it just came down to cost. The show was a period piece so the cost of sets and wardrobe may have been just too high given its ratings. i have a feeling the same thing can be said for Copper which also got cancelled in after its second season and after having some strong episodes also.
Flag
Drat. I love Ripper Street. Sad that not enough people gave it a try.
Flag
Staff
Comment test.
Flag
Ripper St series one was brilliant! Thoroughly enjoyed it! Series 2 there was something missing. There was no attachment to any of the characters in need of help. It lacked a certain warmth with the viewer as well. Such a shame. What changed from series 1 to series 2?
Flag
Uhhhh i'll touch anything with Kristin Kreuk.
Flag
Nice Lost-reference with that Dharma ISIS orientation video. ;)
Flag
A tv series to Legion? Color me interesting. Even if that movie was bumpy, it had great potential for more stories which never got to materialize. Until now. I may check it out.
Flag
More fantastic news. :/
Flag
Too bad about Ripper Street, but in all fairness season 2 was not as interesting as season 1.

However we we the people need to be concerned with the trend that dumb shows get good ratings and quality shows have a hard time getting viewers.
Flag
Disappointing to see Ripper Street cancelled, no surprise after such a lame decision to put it against inane "entertainment" like I'm a z lister.
Flag
Although I liked Ripper Street, it did suffer from inconsistency. Congratulations to Michael B. Jordan who was excellent in Friday Night Lights. He deserves the recognition.
Flag
I'm so pissed about Ripper street! Another quality TV show bites the dust.
Flag
I like the idea that BBC cancel and extends shows based on American watching figures. It is because not enough people watched it over here in the U.K.

Are American networks making decisions based on viewing figures from around the world? No they make them based on American figures.

It's cute that you think that's how BBC or any other non-American network makes their decisions. First loyalty is always to your home territory. I suppose you think Sherlock or Doctor Who would be cancelled if America stopped watching.

BBC America is not a network, it's just the channel for BBC in America. British Broadcasting Company is a quite large institution in the U.K. (and by quite large, I mean bloody huge).
Flag
Staff
You realize that I was completely joking about all of that, right?
Flag
Yea I kind of read this again later in the day and apologise that it came off so aggressive. Hurt British pride or something.
Flag
I hope they will still air Season 2 on BBC America so we can see the last episodes.
Flag
When Copper got cancelled, u knew Ripper Street was soon to follow.
Flag
I really liked Ripper street, it's one of the only UK crime serie I was following these months. I liked the fact that they used real historical characters of those days so I had to read up on them after each episode.
Flag
Ripper was nicely set but I always felt watching it that I was watching something I'd seen but with a differnt set of characters wearing different clothes. Plus there were a lot of redundancies, in a story about heroin for example, the cops expressed revulsion at the evil drug. Nope, modern take on a drug that in Victorian times was respected and legal.
Flag
Nooo! I liked Ripper Street. It was actually good. Very gritty and an above average procedural. Matthew Macfadyen is such a good actor, he deserves a stable show. I'm disappointed. I hope the second season/series didn't end with a cliff hanger.
Flag
I loved both 'Copper' and 'Ripper street' so I'm not happy. Anyway, there's still the Canadian 'Murdoch mysteries'.
Flag
I must admit I was at first a little disappointed to read that Jenji Kohan would be developing a period piece, but then I read the Salem part and was instantly hooked again. If there's one period of history I'm remotely interested in, it's that involving witches.
Flag
Wow, the cast for Dominion looks good! It's always good to see Aussies like Chris Egan doing well, but Alan Dale and Anthony Stewart Head as well? Let's just say I'm now a lot more excited for this Syfy project.
Flag
"Fringe's Lance Reddick." For a website literally called tv dot com you people are seriously deficient.

He did a great TV series (do I really have to tell you?) and he did a few other things (also, he did Fringe.)
Flag
Staff
Would you rather I list out his entire filmography first? Generally, I choose an actor's most recent high profile gig. It doesn't mean I'm not also aware of the fact he was on The Wire. It means he's done something else awesome since then.
Flag
strange since at the end of the article the talk about The Wire (he would of been a perfect tie in to that part of the article)
Flag
Dominion has one of the worst looking announced casts I can imagine as far as name recognition or likability goes.

is it selfish to wish the soul man was over so cedric could be in something I'd potentially see again?

I want the complete lowdown on why quinn never returns to Glee.

I wish we had had at least one more episode of the munsters reboot, one after izzard regained his youthful appearance.

Alexandra Metz is a very pretty chick from what I see on her IMDB page. dig her hair too, hope they don't change it. the world would be a cooler place if more black women (and men for that matter) grew / wore afros IMO.

so reddick is gonna be in something I won't be watching, bummer.

hoke sounds interesting.

Michael B. Jordan's stint on parenthood was very solid. as well as his stint on Lie To Me (damn you fox!!) that super hero movie looked like a bore though and fruitvale station is probably too sad. since I quit drinking I avoid dramas almost altogether.

More+
Flag
Are you serious about the cast of Dominion??? Of the five actors listed, I instantly recognised three, and I love two of them very much for the work they've done (Alan Dale and Anthony Stewart-Head). They're genre favourites.
Flag
alan dale has never played anything other than a douche, hence the or unlikable. anthony stewart head is the only exception to the name and likability stigma IMO. I watched kings and there's probably a reason why egan has been the least successful of the entire main ensemble.
Flag
Doctor Who pix? Way to bury the lede. :)
Flag
Maybe BBCA will fill in those hours with more reruns of ST:TNG or something else that in no way has anything to do with the BBC.
Flag
Even though I love the Star Trek franchise (and the wonderful Patrick Stewart), I wish BBC America would air more UK programming (or their original UK/America or UK/Canada series)-- both classic and modern. And, please, no more Gordon Ramsey cooking shows... FOX shows several of them already, so that base is covered.
Flag
The fact that BBC America airs Fox's version of Kitchen Nightmares is kind of troubling to me. Air classic programming instead!
Flag
I'd love BBC America to show repeats of the Granada Sherlock Holmes series with Jeremy Brett, Poirot, Lewis, UFO (a 70s sci-fi series), The Persuaders!, classic Doctor Who (starting with the first Doctor onward), Mrs. Brown's Boys, etc.
Flag
No. They'll have Gordon Ramsey cook something up for them.

Flag
Yes, naked witches! Thanks, Jenji Kohan.
Flag
Why does BBC america kill good things? If you cancel Orphan Black before its time I am going to stop watching your channel forever.
Flag
They were the ones who canceled one of my new favorite summer shows 'Copper' - that was a BBCA production. That bummed to me out.
Flag
I'm fairly certain the snippit reads "BBC (original flavor) killed Ripper Street months before it was set to premiere on BBC America."
Flag
Any word on if Dominion will mention what happens to Jeep, Charlie and her Baby after the events of Legion. If Christopher Egan plays the Savior and the baby was also the savior does this mean that he is the child grown up?

Flag
Staff
Unfortunately, the press release didn't say. But now I feel compelled to see the movie.
Flag
It is my favorite horrible film. You have to see it.
Flag
I liked it too. It was considered a bad B movie, but it did surprisingly well at the box office.
Flag
It was a very underrated film but it was very good.
Flag
What? The movie was laughably awful.
Flag
Then you have really bad taste in movies.
Flag
It had its moments...like when it was over. That made me happy.
Flag
All I remember about the movie is the swearing grandmother. It wasn't great, but it was definitely entertaining for what it was, and I'm a fan of that sort of genre so I'll be watching.
Flag
And that's your opinion, I happen to like it.
Flag
So Alexandra Metz has been cast as Rapunzel in OUaT. Is this version of the character sort of inspired by Rapunzel from Tangled? How meta would it be if Zachary Levi was cast as Flynn Ryder (he voiced him in the movie if you didn't know).
Flag
I'm not surprised Ripper Street was cancelled. It was a poor copy of Copper, which was excellent! I watched the whole 1st Season of Ripper Street but never got into it. I taped the show last night, watched about half of it & deleted it.
BBCA has, what, about 2 things they run endlessly? Done w/them.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:00 pm
    People's List
    NEW
    ABC
  • 9:00 pm
    20/20: In an Instant Murder in the Maternity Ward
    NEW
    ABC