A Doctor Who Community
Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC America
In The Night of the Doctor, the Sisterhood of Karn basically confirmed that a Time Lord could change genders with a regeneration. While that is an interesting thought, do you think Doctor Who would ever attempt in having a woman Doctor? If so, what type of lady would you would fit in that role?

Which do you think would come first... a black Doctor or a lady Doctor?
25 Comments
Comments (25)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Instead of a female Doctor, I'd like to see either a return of the Doctors daughter or a spin-off with her, or both.
Flag
Picking a Doctor because they're black or female would be as stupid as picking an American President based on that one feature. In other words, it's unbelievably moronic...and it could happen.
Flag
Gillian Anderson
Flag
I can definitly see someone like Idris Elba playing a black doctor - but a female one would probably be a break with canon too far for Whovians.....and most fans actually. Even I, usually very laidback about who gets the role, would probably not prefer a female timelord. However if the ever hunky Idris Elba wanted to be Who....the I say HUBBA HUBBA. lolz.
Flag

Definitely would be cool with a black Doctor Who.....but only one guy would be amazing in the role.......

Flag
I'm not familiar with the actor but he has that right look.
Flag
There was a huge push for him by fans to be the next Doctor before this last regeneration, and while I haven't seen much of his work, from what I have seen/ heard I think he'd suit the role well.
Flag
I'd be up for a female Doctor Who,especially if the character was played by the following actresses....

Flag
I like the blonde girl. She has that quirky look to her that a female Doctor would need.
Flag
It's definitely an idea that's become popular recently, hence the shows attempt to give hope to those viewers that would love to see a female Doctor at some stage in The Night of the Doctor.

I honestly don't think the series will ever have a female Doctor, nor do I think it should. I don't mean to sound like I'm sexist or anything, but the series has had a formula that has worked for fifty plus years now. There's always been The Doctor, a smart, strong, father-figure of sorts that travels through space and time helping people, and there's always been his companions, mostly female, but he's had many of both sexes. What I'm saying is that this has worked for the series for its entire run, so there is absolutely no reason to upset the status quo by drastically changing the relationship the Doctor has with his companions (and the viewers, too) by changing his sex, and therefore that dynamic.

As for a black Doctor, I'm all for it, it's a little worrying how much emphasis is placed on the discussion though (I'm being a hypocrite my participating here), but yes, there's no reason why there shouldn't be one. If it's been stated in canon that Time Lord's can change gender during regeneration, it's fair to say their skin colour can change too.
More+
Flag
River changed her skincolour when she changed from Melody
Flag
While I don't necessarily think that you're wrong, and I really don't, I think that your impulse to assume that a lady doctor would "drastically change the relationship the Doctor has with his companions" is a poor statement on the wider perception of women on television. While any new Doctor would change it up, even if it's another white dude, I dislike the idea that a woman would entirely upset the apple cart, probably in the same way that you're unhappy with the idea of a black Doctor being a point of emphasis instead of an unremarkable phenomenon.

That said, "The Night of the Doctor" is not the first time there was mention of a Time Lord switching genders. In the Gaiman-penned episode "The Doctor's Wife" (the one with the embodied TARDIS), he mentions that fellow Time Lord the Corsair would occasionally switch. I believe our Doctor called him "cheeky" for it, and the implication is that he wouldn't do so.

Even with all that, though, I'm still waiting for our Doctor to be a ginger.
Flag
I get what you're saying, and I knew I was very much being a hypocrite when writing my post, but it's just how I feel. The mother figure a female version of the Doctor would become would be completely different to the fatherly aspect the male version of the Doctor has, and it's not an aspect of the series I'd want to see changed.

What about a black, female, and red-headed Doctor? lol
Flag
Personally I would love to see Doctor Who go in that direction maybe after Peter is done with the role. It might be fun to see a Doctor who looks like the typical Companion since the show came back. Meaning...a young, attractive lady who looks like someone that might need protecting but being the Doctor obviously won't.

I don't know which would have the best chance in coming first, a black Doctor or a lady Doctor. I don't think it would matter really. Part of me thinks that most Brit viewers would be more apt in having the Doctor being black before being a lady but maybe I'm reading the British all wrong.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members