A Doctor Who Community
Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC America (Returning "Deep Breath" premiering August 23, 2014)
Let's not forget that the Doctor isn't the only character to regenerate over the years! Since I'm watching his introduction episodes with Jon Pertwee right now, I thought it was a perfect time to revisit the many faces of the Master! Although the Doctor changes quite a bit from regeneration to regeneration, the Master always has that same evil look to him.

0. Edward Brayshaw (1969): I like to think of The War Chief in The War Games as the first Master, but it's never really connected that way in the series. However, he is a Time Lord and he does seem to recognize the Doctor and know quite a bit about him. Physically, he fits into the the line, as well.

Image credit

1. Roger Delgado (1971 - 1973): What a way to introduce such an evil villain! He gets a whole season arc in Doctor Who's eighth year, while the Doctor is exiled on Earth. About time for a new villain to join the show!

Image credit

2. Peter Pratt (1976) & Geoffrey Beevers (1981): This version of the Master is the creepiest of them all! He is decaying because he has reached the end of his regenerations. It's unclear what that really means, but there are many theories on the subject (and I imagine we'll hit more as the Doctor himself hits his 12th regeneration soon). Regardless of the reason, I wouldn't want to run into this guy in a dark corner!

Image credit

3. Anthony Ainley (1981 - 1989): My personal favorite regeneration! He's so evil and campy all rolled into one, as if a Disney villain came to life before our very eyes! He had quite a run with the series, and was the iconic image of the master until everyone's favorite TV movie came along...

Image credit

4. Eric Roberts (1996): That's right folks, you read that right: Eric Roberts. It's true that Gordon Tripple plays him for a bit before he regenerates but let's focus on what's important here: ERIC ROBERTS. I don't even know what else to say. Would you fight a man in that cape? I didn't think so.

Image credit

5. Derek Jacobi (2007): He looks like such a sweet old man! I remember being shocked when I found out what a vicious baddie this guy was! This was my first introduction to the Master but at the time I could tell he was someone of importance. Too bad he opens his watch and overrides the perception filter. I liked this guy!

Image credit

6. John Simm (2007 - 2010): This guy is TERRIBLE! He doesn't get the cartoony evil look of his earlier regenerations, but he is, if possible, even MORE ruthless. He kidnaps the Doctor and wreaks his special brand of havoc. The Doctor finally regains control and defeats him, once and for all. This is the last we see of the Master.

Image credit

Will this be the last of the Master, forever? Guess we'll just have to see...

poll

Next Episode

AIRS ON 8/23/2014

Season 8 : Episode 1

21 Comments
Follow this Show
Members