A Doctor Who Community
Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC America (Returning December 2017)
Though we mourned the loss of Sir John Hurt earlier this year, and quite possibly with him the end of any more Big Finish Time War stories, it may have seemed like the end, but the moment had been prepared for.

When the War Doctor box sets were first announced, we also got the announcement of a Paul McGann Time War box set this November. But more recent announcements have seen that single box set extended to a total of 4 Time War series still to come, featuring a new companion for the Eighth Doctor in the form of Bliss, played by Rakhee Thakrar.

But that news is small fry compared to today's HUMONGOUS announcement that sees another Knight of the Realm join the Time War. Yes Sir Derek Jacobi will reprise his role as the War Master, ten years to the day, before we saw him regenerate into John Simm in Utopia.

The War Master box set will be available in December 2017. Daleks vs the Master, what could possibly go wrong???

If that's not enough, Big Finish's excellent Gallifrey series moves on to the events of the Time War with a new relase showing how the Second Romana and Leela deal with it.

Oh my Giddy Aunt, I think I need to go and have a lie down now...
7 Comments
Comments (7)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Jun 16, 2017
I'm also interested to see where the Gallifrey series goes with the Time War. That's been an excellent series so far, and I expect the Time War stories for them will give a more bleak picture for Gallifrey. They started to hint at this in the later seasons, with season 6 having the Daleks invade Gallifrey in multiple universes and the last season (8) showing Romana III essentially in the middle of the Time War trying to change her past (Roman II's present) to save Gallifrey from an impending war.
Flag
Jun 16, 2017
The Master fighting in the Time War against the Daleks is a case of the enemy of my enemy is my friend. It could also be part of I can pick on my brother but no one else can lay a hand on him. I hope they find a way to link the Time War stories with “The Day of the Doctor”. In the Big Finish Time War stories the Time Lords seem to be winning. In “The Day of the Doctor” the Time Lords seem to have lost the war.
Flag
Jun 16, 2017
You don't really get a good impression either way in the War Doctor stories, as the bulk of the action takes place away from Gallifrey. You certainly get the impression the Daleks are an unstoppable force rolling over anything they encounter. Especially in Pretty Lies. where they wiped out anyone accociated with the Doctor.

The thing about this being a Time War, is that the Timelords have an arsenal of time based weapons to start with, whereas you get the impression that the Daleks have time capability, but mostly fight with brute force, but if you listen to The Day of the Doctor you hear the General point out that they've used everything already, except The Moment.

So the War Doctor series tells that story perfectly, showing the Timelords using all the ingenious time weapons they have, which will look like they have the upper hand, but once the Daleks counter each attack, it all comes down to brute force.

The War Doctor volume 4 ends with the realisation from the War Doctor that each side is as bad as the other, and he pretty much sets his mind at that point to end them both = leading right into Day of the Doctor.
More +
Flag
Jun 16, 2017
Derek Jacobi has always been in my top 10 of actors. I have always wanted more stories with him as the Master. I have never been a fan of the movie and rewatching it has not helped. But with the Big Finish stories as with C. Baker, I have become a fan of Paul McGann's Doctor.
Flag
Jun 16, 2017
I hope they start with the story of his resurrection as mentioned in Utopia, but looking at the synopsis of the first episode I suspect we just "find" the War Master.

Flag
Follow this Show
Members