A Doctor Who Community
Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC America
Talking about favorite Doctors made me wonder, what is your Doctor Who story? Who was your first Doctor? Did you grow up watching Doctor Who? Were you introduced to DW by a friend, or stumble upon it on your own? Let's hear your story.

Image credit.
Comments (9)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
just this year, I saw him on SKY. It is very interesting for me to hear, that tere are more doctors, which i haven´t seen so far.
Flag
I watched Tom Baker's Doctor when I was a kid, but not consistently. So I knew vaguely a Doctor Who. When the reboot happened, I thought it would be interesting to see. Season one of the reboot had finished and was on Netflix. I've been hooked ever since. I loved Eccleston, but fell in love with Tennant. I sobbed heaving, head jarring, chest hurting sobs when Ten regenerated. Wanted to hate Smith just because but ended up loving him too. Looking forward to what Capaldi will bring, but goodness it's difficult to be a Whovian and lose the actors you love.
Flag
Well when I was little I think my dad tried to get me to watch the show, but I just couldn't b/c the special effects drove me nuts (and its not that Im/was against older tv shows b/c I loved watching shows and movies from the 1950s and 60s at that time). Idk its just whenever I watch "Classic Who" I can constantly tell that they are on a stage and it always took me out of the show. And b.c of this I didn't give the series a chance when it aired again in 2005 but my friend kept insisting that is wasn't a bad show so I did give it a try again and I think it was during Tennant's final series at that point...
so now I have watched all of "New Who" and also the 90s made for tv movie as well as the 2 not quite related Dr Who movies from the 1960s
Flag
I think everyone's 'Doctor' always ends up being the first one they watched when they were introduced to the show.

My first Doctor Who experience was watching The Chase (starring the original Doctor William Hartnell) and Remembrance of the Daleks (starring the seventh Doctor Sylvester McCoy), as well as The Trial of a Time Lord (starring the sixth Doctor Colin Baker). These were all special VHS boxsets the BBC released for the 30th anniversary for the show, and my Dad must have received them for his birthday or Christmas, and I ended up watching them at a very young age.

By that time Doctor Who was off the air, so I repeatedly watched these throughout my childhood, and I know I'll get taunted for this, but of the three, I enjoyed Colin Baker's Doctor the most, and therefore, he's my Doctor. What I loved about Colin Baker's Doctor was that he was so brash, arrogant, and even careless when it came to his assistants... He was not your typical hero.

I always found the older incarnations of the Doctor to remind me of wise, older characters in popular-culture, like Yoda, Gandalf, and Dumbledore etc. but I have never felt this wide man character in a new series Doctor unfortunately, and I'm hoping that Peter Capaldi can possibly capture this trait.
More+
Flag
I had never heard anything but negative things about Colin Baker to the point I came close to skipping his once they came out on VHS/DVD. I had only seen the first one on TV and was turned off. But as a true fan I decided it had to be all or nothing. Once I started watching I found that I liked him. After I had finished I just could not understand why the hate. Was it the coat? After the 3rd story I nolonger noticed the coat. Was it JNT and the fans took it out on Colin? I just have never understood.
Flag
It was 2009 and I was in a DVD store where I stumbled upon the title Doctor Who. I've heard about it before being referenced in some of the shows I watched (Leverage, TBBT). I started with 4 seasons of the RTD era and never looked back. My first Doctor was Nine but my favorite Doctor is Ten. Three years later I got my sister hooked to the show (she loves Matt). Both of my nephews are addicted (they probably know more than I do). And I got a friend to marathon the show from Rose to The Name of the Doctor (it took her a couple of weeks, but she loved it).
Flag
Staff
I don't think I really knew about Doctor Who until Russell T. Davies brought it back in 2005, and even then I didn't really watch any of it until after David Tennant had already taken over the role. That right there explains why David Tennant will always be my doctor. I did, however, go back to the beginning after having watched a couple of Ten's episodes. I marathoned the show pretty quickly after that. I thought for sure that I would hate Matt Smith as the Doctor. I had so many reasons why David Tennant was the best and no one else would have ever come close in my heart, but Eleven had such a spastic (and drastically different) personality from Ten that I grew to love him very quickly. And though I used to think no one would top Rose in my favorite companion department, Donna quickly took over. But then Amy Pond and Rory Williams came along and I think it's safe to say they win, hands down.
Flag
Staff
An ex-boyfriend of mine enjoyed the new series and was bugging me to watch so we could watch the new season together. So I did, at first to just appease him, but then I started really digging it. I started to like it more than he did! Then he started giving me lip about how much I liked Doctor Who so we broke up. True story. At least I still have my Doctor! :)
Flag
I saw one episode of the original series at a friend's house back in 1981 and didn't get it at all. Fast forward to 2007 and I'm on TV.com. Loads of people are talking about Doctor Who and how they love David Tennant.

I happened upon the episode Runaway Bride while channel surfing one day. I was intrigued by the taxi-TARDIS chase (although I didn't know it was a TARDIS), but when the robots invaded the wedding reception (that wasn't really a reception) I was freaked out and turned it off.

In 2011 my son subscribed to Netflix. He'd been hearing about how good Doctor Who was an encouraged me to watch it. I started at the beginning of the 2005 series and watched through season 5 in short order. Now I love it so much my son won't even watch it anymore. I guess it's a Mom thing.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members
  • 9:00 pm
    What Would You Do?
    NEW
    ABC
  • 10:00 pm
    Dateline NBC
    NEW
    NBC
  •