Doctor Who

Dalek

Aired Saturday 8:00 PM Apr 30, 2005 on BBC America

• Dalek

Dalek was a perfect and very entertaining episode of Doctor Who. I really enjoyed watching because the story was awesome, we meet the Doctor's Arch Enemy and Rose is put through a dilemma. I liked the way every thing played out and it was fun watching the Dalek on the loose. The ending was very sad as the Dalek requested it's own death. Rose has certainly become a great companion for the Doctor at this point. I look forward to watching the next adventure!!!!!!!!!
  • Dalek sad

Having watched Doctor Who as a kid, I enjoyed the reboot it got with this series. I found the new Doctor a little annoying in the pilot, but he's starting to grow on me. I liked the first few episodes partly because they didn't ask me to take them too seriously, but this one did ask me to take it seriously, and I just couldn't. The idea of the stray, crashed dalek being revived on Earth was kind of cool, but it quickly degenerated into such over the top melodrama that it was uncomfortable to sit through. I put this one squarely on the writing; the actors were fine, the production values were fine, and the dalek itself had a nice modern polish on an old design, especially when it opened up to show its withered little body at the end...but if you're going to ask viewers to get emotionally invested as a dalek learns to empathize with its enemy then question its existence, it's just got to be better than this. This idea has been done before (the 'Hugh' episode on Star Trek Next Generation, the Starbuck/Cylon stranded together in the original Battlestar Galactica, the film Enemy Mine, etc.) but to much better effect. If you're going to cue a swell of violins while the Doctor and his companion emote over 'who is the real monster' in front of a sad, alien tank with its eyestalk cast down, you're wandering out onto some thin ice in my opinion. Kudos for the attempt, and the series is not bad, but this episode made me cringe and not in a good way.
  • "Alright then, if you want orders, follow this one. Kill yourself. Why don't you finish the job and make the Daleks extinct? Rid the universe of your filth. Why don't you just die!?" - The Doctor. "You would make a good Dalek."- The Dalek.

The Doctor and Rose take less than a decade trip into the future, following a distress signal from the last surviving Dalek of the Time War. Note: A Mondasian Cyberman head is in the glass case in Van Staunten's vault, probably refuged form one of their previous attacks on 20th century earth.
    This will be mentioned in the parallel Earth story Rise of the Cybermen/The Age of Steel.
    The Doctor's ragefulness and hatred surface promently in this episode, showing that he'll do anything to keep a Dalek from killing people, even stoop to commeting murder against the Dalek.
    Hard to notice, but there is a joke about how the Doctor and Rose got into the Vault.
    "How did they get in? In true da (intruder) window."
  • An epic enemy has everyone running for their life.

The first time we see the Daleks in Nu Who, and for new comers who aren't familiar with this particular enemy we get introduced to them at the best. This is a great episode were you truly feel you have entered the Who-verse. Needless to say if the Doctor is terrified of these guys then I think we can assume they are bad news.

They do a good job of making you want to empathize with the damaged Dalek. It has been tortured, bruised and even the Doctor looks down with disdain upon it. Yet, this episode really shows the danger the Daleks pose. It is good to see the Dalek use some creativity in its destruction demonstrating the intelligence of this enemy. It is also nice to see that stairs will not be a problem.

Again we see that Christopher Eccleston's Doctor has a little darker side with the comment "you would make a good Dalek" striking a cord.
  • Our first meeting with a Dalek!

Our first meeting with a Dalek brings up to Utah where some rich American has decided to put a lot of space 'Junk' and artifacts into a cellar deep underground so he can be with the stars, ironic much? The Doctor thinks so too.

Anyway, yeah, quite an interesting episode. We meet Adam who appears in the next episode. I love how they make him really likeable in this one but in the next one you really hate his stupidity, haha!

The plot was interesting, the lady who takes over in the end I really liked UNTIL she took over. In general the American accent through me a little at the start because I don't know why but everyone else has an English accent in the show, even the other species. (Has anyone else realised this?)
  • irony or real? just dont get it!

Im sorry, but i just dont get it! i am a big fan of sci fi. perhaps this is a little smarter that scifi (i like shows like late Star Trek and stargate etc.), because i dont understand what the fuzz is about. Bad effects, silly story (are they ironic, or is it for real? dont know), and not much of acting either.

Perhaps its better if you know the whole story. i have only seen these first 6 episodes of the new doctor who. Perhaps it is such smart comedy (or scifi?or what is it?), that i just dont get it.
    But thats how it is, i dont understand what its about, i dont understand if it is supposed to be funny or serious, and i dont understand why so many people love it.
  • Not something special but not something dreadful. In the middle.

This story was mediocre. It wasn't the best there have been but is good by Dr Who standards.

The story revolves around the return of the Daleks...well Dalek. It let's the characters play around with their past (especially the Doctor) and let's Rose question his morals and is probably the first time Rose is really disagreeing with him. They learn a lot off each other in this episode and makes them see the universe differently. There is a lot of action and drama involved which is always great to see. Bruno Langley puts in a good performence as Adam and it's funny to see the tables turn on Henry van Statten.

Good episode.
  • The Doctor and Rose land in Utah in 2012 and there's a deadly Enemy waiting underground! Written by; Robert Shearman Directed by; Joe Ahearne

The Doctor and Rose land in a underground alien museum in america in the year 2012 after getting a distress call. They are captured by guards who think they are there to steal something. The Doctor and Rose are taken to Hennry Van Staten's office. Here they also meet up with Adam, a human boy genius. Van Staten then takes the Doctor to see his 'one living specimen' which he calls a Metaltron as Rose and Adam get to know each other. The Doctor finds out that the Metaltron is really a Dalek, the last of it's kind after the time war. The Dalek tries to exstminate The Doctor but can't as it has no power and is dieing. Van Statten then finds out that The Doctors an alien and takes him off to do tests on him. Rose and Adam then go to see The Dalek. Rose touches it and it heels from the back ground radiation from her time travelling. It then starts killing every one. Van Statten then lets The Doctor free because he is the only one to know what to do. They go back up to the office and start shutting the bulk head doors which is the only thing strong enough to seal the Dalek in. The only problem is Rose and Adam are only just infront of The Dalek as all three of them are trying to escape. Adam escapes but Rose is to late. The Dalek then tells The Doctor to let it pass the bulk head or it will kill Rose. The Doctor lets it through but goes to find weapons with Adam. The Doctor then goes to The Dalek but Rose tells him not to shoot it. The Dalek then commits suicide as it is half human because of absorbing energy from Rose. Adam leaves in the TARDIS at the end of the episode.

Not the best story of the season, but still a good one it really dissplays the power of the Daleks as there is only one but the consequences are still catastrophic. It is also a good way to bring back the Daleks with just a small plotline so we know how powerful they are without seeing it on the scale it is in all the other Dalek stories.

Best Actor/ Actress; Christopher Eccleston
  • The Doctor and Rose end up in a museum of alien artifacts run by Henry Van Statten, who has a live alien deep in the museum. The Doctor soon finds out that not all his enemies in the Time War bit the dust, as waiting for him, is a Dalek!

At last! All Doctor Who fans everywhere have been waiting for this moment! The return of the Daleks!!! Or, at least, one of them! A new look for the Dalek, but still the same pepperpot look! The levitating ability is not new (see Revelation of The Daleks and Rememberance of The Daleks) but the swivelling Dalek sections is new as well as the extreme shielding. Also, in this episode, we see a darker side to the Doctor's nature. This is probably well justified, as the Daleks wiped out the Timelords, at least we think so! Rose has a lot to do with the Dalek, as by taking her DNA, has become partially human in nature. It is a brilliant episode, overall, and at last, we finally have the most feared enemy returning to send us all scurrying behind the sofas again! Marvellous!
  • This one really had me on a severe adrenalin buzz u should watch it for that and more.

Now to say that im new to Doctor Who and his assistants would be a severe lie. I have been watching since i was about five and that was when Mister Sylvestor Mccoy was pushing buttons on that tardis machine not the best doctor but far from being absoloutley abismal.
    Now enough of the drival and on with the review of this ace no pun intended episode. well from the moment both rose and Chris's doctor ended up in that museum of alien artefacts it was blow me away with the coolness and the intensity of the episode and rose's words have an impact on the doctors reactions in the which brings me to the dalek itself, (humanity and its portrayal) the way it is brought across was so subtle yet extremely intense.
    so with all this to read go on park your booty and fro doctors sake watch this episode.
  • Riveting.

I have this habit of watching TV with a notebook in my lap and making notes, in case I decide later to write fanfic, make a vid, etc. I've been doing that with Doctor Who. But halfway through this episode I realized that I had moved and the notebook was all the way at the foot of my bed. I kept meaning to lean over and grab it, but I absolutely wasn't able to tear my eyes away from the screen.

Finally, another piece of the puzzle. The Daleks are iconic - even for someone like me who knows absolutely NOTHING about Doctor Who history. I think that's one of the things I like most about this show, is knowing that there's such a HUGE amount of history and mythology behind it all. It's exciting, being a part of something that universal.

So the newcomers learn what part the Daleks play in the Doctor Who mythology. And at the same time, we're treated to an intense, emotional, complex episode that starts off with a bang and continues full-speed ahead. In less than an hour, an important piece of the Doctor's history is revealed, we learn the depth of his feelings for Rose, he puts those feelings aside for the greater good, and she challenges the hatred that he's been carrying around with him for centuries. Though this is unquestionably the Doctor's episode, I feel like it's really Rose's time to shine as well. We really get to see the importance of her contribution to the Doctor's journeys. She is able to find the humanity in even something that was designed to be nothing more than a killing machine, and her kindness and compassion are what, ultimately, save the day.

I had said, upon comparing a few clips of Chris Eccleston and David Tennant before actually seeing the series, that I preferred Tennant. But this episode has proved to me the error of my ways, because Eccleston plays the dark, solitary figure so well - the gutwrenching agony on his face upon hearing "You would make a good Dalek" literally had me in tears. And THAT is what proves that you've got some AMAZING television on your hands.
  • The Doctor and Rose face the last Dalek, showing how the Time War has destroyed both races--and their identities.

I cried all throughout this episode.

Ironically, I didn't think I would like this one at all. I found the beginning a little bit off, especially the scenes with Van Statten. When the Dalek made its first appearance, I thought:

Since when would the Doctor torture and kill a Dalek? Wasn't he unable to destroy them in Genesis of the Daleks?

As the episode progressed, however, I found it very moving. Both the Doctor and the Dalek have been badly affected by being the only survivors of the war. When the Dalek says that they are now both alone, it's clear that the reason the Doctor is somewhat sane is because of Rose. This symbolic representation of her importance to him is borne out by her ability to get through to him at the end. In addition, her question, "What the hell has happened to you?" explains the change in the Doctor's basic personality (even though every regeneration is different, there are some constants which are often lacking in #9, compassion and mercy being two of them).

I never thought I could, or would, feel sorry for a Dalek. Even though I felt it was lying when it first met Rose, I felt there was truth in its words as well, and that was the beginning of my pity for it. I found the Dalek's inability to accept its emotions and to need to destroy itself very very sad.

Overall one of the best episodes of New Who I've seen yet, once it got going.
  • Once again, the work of a different writer marks a much welcome change of tone and pace for the show.

There were huge expectations for 'Dalek' - the return of the most celebrated of the Doctor's enemies, the middle-season event episode, the promise of a darker, more complex tale. Incredibly, it delivered.

After the slightly goofy shakiness of 'Aliens of London' and 'World War Three', we were thrown straight into a tighter, more claustrophobic setting in the form of Henry Van Statten's UFO museum, deep in a bunker in Utah. The Doctor and Rose are catapulted into the tale within the first five minutes (after a rather wonderful fan-pleasing moment featuring a Slitheen arm and - brilliantly - the helmet from a classic series Cyberman), giving us over to the episode's real star - the Dalek itself.

There has been huge build-up to this moment - the Doctor's vague references to the Time War which wiped out the Time Lords and was responsible for countless further damage to the Nestenes and Gelth, amongst countless others, have clearly been related to the Daleks.

And the creature's unveling, followed by the Doctor's gobsmacked reaction, which soon turns to venomous hatred, was outstanding. This was not a dumb, clumsy pepperpot which could only yell 'Exterminate', this was a soldier, intelligent, manipulative and incapable of understanding that there was nothing left for it to fight for.

Until, that is, it uses some of Rose's DNA to repower itself (a contrivance which seems sketchy but is entirely forgiveable given the places it takes the story) and sets about wiping out the inhabitants of the bunker.

There were so many superb moments here, not just Doctor Who moments but moments of real, heartfelt drama. Chris Ecclestone, after looking a little unsettled in the previous tale, dives into the script with a vigour and commitment which is entrancing to watch. Here is a Doctor who is not only eccentric and mercurial, he is damaged. He still hurts and hates for what happened to his people. Ecclestone's movement from fear to hatred to anguish to desperation to sympathy is an absolute joy.

Yet, almost unbelievably, it is once again Billie Piper who runs away with much of the episode. She has none of the Doctor's (or, indeed, many of the audience's) history with the Daleks, allowing her to see the wretchedness of its existence and to show it a second's kindness which ultimately saves all their lives and takes the viewer into the real tragedy behind the two races of aliens whose face-off she gets caught in.

Special mention should also go to Nicholas Briggs, who gives the Dalek more depth than any seen before.

It's hard to see how the series could get any better than this. Rob Shearman should certainly be given more episodes to write next season and I can only imagine what such a radical rethinking could do to, say, the Cybermen or The Master.

All this, and a new companion to boot. The Doctor has been back for a few weeks but now, finally, he's even better than before.
  • The doctor discovers a dalek has survived the final battle of time war did all those time lords die for nothing?

The TARDIS locks on to a strange distress signal
    and arrive under the nevada dessert in 2014.
    After a quick look around an alien musemum
    they are arrested and taken to the owner.
    computer billionaire henry van statten.
    The egotist plans to add the doctor to his collection
    and invites the time lord to see his only other living
    piece.
    A damaged darlek
    unable to penetrate the shell technicains have been torturing the thing with lasers ,electricity and anything else they can find.
    Rose accidentaly touches the shell and the temporal energy
    is enough to revive the dalek to full working order.
    Including his xray laser weapon.
    He quicky slaughers the security guards
    as there primitive bullets can not harm him
    They eventually discover the dalek has absorbed more from
    rose than a quick heal,his repressed emotions are released.
    Daleks are usually only breed to feel hate.
    the soldier cant live like this and ask for one final order from rose who he cannot bring himself to kill.
    the globes from the surface of the dalek detach and disintergrate him.Rose and the doctor leave with van statten`s lab boy while van statten himself has his memory wiped by his furious staff.

The intensity of christopher eccelston
    is,as usual,the best thing about this episode
    More guilt about the time war
    more hate about his peoples most leathal enemy
    and more sadness about the deaths this dalek has caused

enjoy
  • A long-awaited and anticipated showdown!

For me, the best episode of the first series, ‘Dalek’ is simply amazing. The Doctor and Rose follow a distress call to an underground alien museum- owned by the millionaire Henry Van Statten- beneath the sands of Utah in 2012. Van Statten has one live exhibit in his museum- the last of the Doctor’s oldest and deadliest foes, the Daleks. Chained and tortured, it is near death… until a touch from a sympathetic Rose regenerates it into a ruthless killing machine. Writer Robert Shearman crafts a finely-tuned, thrilling yet subtly philosophical script about the nature of identity and survival, matched by great direction from Joe Ahearne and boasting some of the best work so far from both regulars and guest casts.

Christopher Eccleston really impresses in this episode. The hints in previous episodes about the enormity of the Time War and its effects upon the Time Lord are made much more explicit here: he, like the Dalek, is scarred and rootless, his race all but obliterated in a war which profited no-one. In fact, many parallels are drawn between the Doctor and the Dalek, which the Doctor is quick to disavow. But the fact remains, they are both exiles, both alone and both determined that the other should be wiped out. All of the Doctor/Dalek scenes are excellent, but the final confrontation between the two is particularly brilliant. Again, Billie Piper puts in a spirited and strong performance; her sympathy for the Dalek leading her to cause its regeneration. Of the guest cast, Corey Johnson impresses as the callous Van Statten, emperor of all he surveys and caring more about the Dalek than human life, which he views as a simple commodity. It is particularly sweet that he is consigned to the same fate that he bestows upon a hapless assistant at the very beginning. Anna-Louise Plowman also gives a strong performance as Van Statten’s assistant Diana Goddard. This is the first episode to feature the rather lovely Bruno Langley (formerly of Coronation Street) as Adam Mitchell, a sweet-natured ordinary young guy who works for Van Statten as an archivist. He puts in a nice and likeable performance, particularly shining when he enthusiastically tells Rose that aliens are real.

But perhaps the best performance of the episode is that of Nicholas Briggs, who voices the Dalek. Never before have I had sympathy for one of the metal pepperpots, but here I did. A subtly emotive turn, as the Dalek must get to grips with feeling emotions other than hate, made even more impressive for the fact that it is a purely vocal performance. So, in conclusion, the best episode so far and of the series as a whole. I can’t give it any other rating than the perfect 10. Genuine class.
  • Rose faces her first Dalek...

"You would make a good Dalek..."

Basic Plot
    The Doctor and Rose come face to face with a single Dalek, which soon goes on a killing rampage…

The revamped Dalek looks better than ever, and the Doctor gets some character development as we delve into his emotions. Bruno Langley's not bad as Adam, it's just the character that's irritating.
  • The Daleks are back in an ininspired attempt to humanize the last survivor of a dead race.

Hands-down the most disappointing episode of the season.

(Well, I'm only through "Boomtown" on Sci-fi).

I thought the concept was strong, and it had great potential. I liked the idea of the Dalek as the lone survivor of its race just like the Doctor was, and thought the initial meeting between the Dalek and the Doctor had some very nice moments.

But the execution of this episode just fell so flat, in the script, direction, and performances. The episode made sure never to imply anything that it could just come out and hit you over the head with. The "torment" the Dalek was going through as it was discovering emotions was painfully generic. And the inevitable suicide was the lamest easy-out of a complex situation.

I was excited about the return of the Daleks, and ended up wishing they hadn't bothered.
  • The best episode of the so far of the first season. We finally get some information on the big bad guys of the show... the Daleks.

The best episode of the so far of the first season.

We finally get some information on the big bad guys of the show... the Daleks.

I thought this was a great episode. I loved the deeper look into the Doctor and his past history. We learn that the Dalek\'s and the Time Lord\'s basically made each other extinct. Although what caught my interest was that it was not the Doctor\'s wish to survive the war. It also seemed like he caused the destruction that eliminated both sides.

Although the Dalek seem an improbable enemy, with such a slow moving armor, its great defenses result in a powerful enemy. I did have some trouble understanding exactly what the Dalek was saying at times. Luckily I had it on tape and was able to rewind it to figure it out. Although there were still a few moments where I could not figure out a word or two.

I would probably have more to say, but I decided to watch this episode at 3AM, so it is a little foggy right now.
  • Dalek-mania is back baby!

Brilliant. The best one at the time it aired. Robert Sherman (writer) did a great job on writing this! The beginning was excellent! Doctor confronts Dalek, doesn’t know it’s a Dalek, it says EXTERMINATE, it was all brilliant.

And the story was lively and never lost it’s touch, I loved how the Dalek healed itself by absorbing the internet, then he goes on a killing spree, that’s what the Daleks are all about which is why the episode was so great. I also liked the part when Henry Van Statten examined the Doctor, that was interesting and the Doctor was excellent “Let me go if you want to live” – Wonderful.

The only thing I didn’t like (when I say didn’t like I mean it in the smallest possible way) was that the Dalek had emotions. Daleks don’t have emotions! But it absorbed Rose’s DNA so I guess that’s the reason, so I’ll let the writer off the hook.

Edging away from the story, let me talk about Adam, he was alright, I didn’t really want him to date Rose, I would’ve hated that, but he was a good character in this episode.
  • "Monster-fighters should be careful not to become worse monsters than the ones they fight."

That's more or less what German philosopher Frederick Nietzsche once said. And, this episode proved that point, quite plausibly.

The Doctor's initial panic--when he saw that the Living Trophy was a Dalek--is understandable. Their ruthless efficiency was most frighteningly demonstrated in "Resurrection of the Daleks" (Peter Davison/5th Doctor era)!

When he discovers that this particuliar Dalek's built-in ray gun isn't working, he vents all the fear and outrage he's harbored, for this bio-mechanical race, throughout all his previous incarnations. Basically, going from Jekyll to almost-Hyde. And, in a way, that's a bit more frightening than a lone Dalek!

Thank God for Rose Tyler. Quite literally at the last moment, she manages to talk the 9th Doctor out of being just as genocidal as this one-time enemy.

This episode provides a lot of food-for-thought. But, there are some nice touches of comedy-relief to balance the intense drama. Most satisfying of all, of course, being the mutiny led by the lovely Ms. Goddard.

Mind a suggestion, dearie? Deposit the blighter on Staten Island (NYC)!!!
  • A good balance between writing for old fans who are very familiar with the Daleks & for the newer viewers who know only little about them.

And also a good balance between the \"old school\" Daleks and giving them some new features that had not been seen before.

I, for one, am a little sad to see the last Dalek go out in this fashion. I would rather have seen them still be out there menacing the universe.
  • Nerve-wracking The most iconic villain of the Dr. Who universe returns after a 15 year leave, the Daleks, while one anyway.

The most iconic villain of the Dr. Who universe returns after a 15 year leave, the Daleks, while one anyway. But even having one these machines roaming about is still as dangerous as having a huge group of them roaming about and even might be even scarier than having a group of them.

This was yet another one of those type of episodes that feel like they run longer then they normal do. I mean when I saw the Dalek break loose I was expecting to the episode to be almost over with, and have our heroes have a little bit of a gun-ho fight with the machine, but then I look at the clock and I found out that only a half-hour had past. So there I knew that there would be more to this episode and I quite please to have more content to process. For it allow more things to be explored in this episode.

During the course of this episode, when the Doctor was throwing insults at the damage Dalek, I reminded of the Classic Stargate SG-1episode out of the second season “ Serpent's Song", in which at that time, Stargate SG-1’s greatest villain, Apophis, the once mighty System Lord, throws himself on the mercy of SG-1, in a near fatal state and shows sings of being tortured. In both episodes of both series, our heroes throw insults and jabs at them, insulting their very own beliefs that they have each other and there is nothing that either villain can do to our heroes, but just take it on the chin while they are being insulted by them. In both episodes the villain dies and you, the viewer of the episode, feels for them despite the fact of what they truly were and what they have done in the past. It seems that depth is the great equalizer for everybody in the end, because every living thing, no matter if they are natural born living thing or a genetic engineered living thing, will in the long run will die and that what happen at the end of this episode.

This episode also strengthen the archetypes that Rose and 9th Doctor are portraying in this show, which were started in the early episodes of “The Unquiet Dead”, and “World War III” with the 9th Doctor playing the protector, the defender, and Rose on the other hand is playing the innocent curious on-looker and in this episode also plays the Doctor’s Moral Compass.

Chris Eccleston, delivered a tour de force performance in this episode, with emotions that range from being truly scared out of his wits, to a vindictive angry man whom wasn‘t afraid to express what he truly felt about things, and finally to a sadden resigned person., who finally seen the errors in what he was doing. While these type of emotions might be a little alien when regards to the other incarnations of the other Doctors, it truly fits with this one, because of what he went through, and what he went through was the type of experience that will leave you chanced forever. But while that might be so, I welcome the breaking of the façade that this Doctor was putting up in the past few episodes, for it truly shows what type of person he is, which was only hinted in the past few episode, that he is a bitter war-scarred survivor that is full with “Survivor Guilt” that will try his best to kept people arm length from him, but when do get close to him, he will do everything in his power to kept them safe. That also goes double with keeping general populations safe as well from a real threat, in fact there is nothing wrong with that, for it a very honorable trait to have, but it can also be a hindrance. His line “Release me if you want to live” is delivered with a sense of strangeness to it full with a mixture of “I told you so” and general worry about what was about to having to all of the people in this place.

Billie Piper also performed as well in this episode as the one whom simply curiously almost got herself killed, but again it is a believable performance because she unlike the Doctor has never seen a Dalek before and dose not know what it has done in the past. When one is unaware of something one dose not fear it, but in fact very curious about what the thing is despite the true nature of the thing. Even if she was tricked in a the Dalek’s trap. But she redeems herself toward the end of the episode when she convincing the Doctor not to kill the Dalek, but let the thing kill itself.

Corey Johnson(Henry van Statten), didn’t strike to me as a good Dr. Who villain, maybe in fact a decent one, or even the type that it is written up just full with the void that was made when the script of this episode was drafted up and so I no real emotional correction with this guy on either side of the spectrum. So when the tables were turned on him I didn’t get a great sense of satisfaction with him. But, Anna-Louise Plowman(Goddard), better know to SG-1 fans as Osiris is better at her role and at the end of the episode when she turns the table on her boss, is a great sense of irony, and might even be a little bit of homage to the SG-1charactar that she used to play before her guest slit on this show.

Now the lone Dalek in this episode voiced by Nicholas Briggs, give a wonderful voice over as the Dalek, whom a good majority of the words aren’t the traditional phases that come out a Dalek, but ones that seems to come from the heart of this thing. That in the being of the episode accepts the fact that it is the last of its kind and that when it dies its race will gone forever and there is nothing that it can do be let it come. At the end of the episode when the thing gets regenerated after absorbing both Rose’s DNA and her emotions as well, finally seeing what it truly was. That the life it thought that it was isn’t truly life, but a mere echo of it and that this is the type of life that no thing should live.

All in all, Dalek is a extremely emotional and well acted episode that flushes out a lot of hidden emotions for all and also digs out some story arks as well.
  • Rose and the Doctor end up in the year 2012, in an underground museum buried a half mile under Utah, USA, after a distress signal reaches the TARDIS.

Episode #6 - Dalek - 4/14/06

Rose and the Doctor end up in the year 2012, in an underground museum buried a half mile under Utah, USA, after a distress signal reaches the TARDIS. There they meet a cocky, corporate business-type named Van Statten, who apparently collects various extraterrestrial artifacts.
    Van Statten takes the Doctor to see the only living specimen in his repertoire - which turns out to be none other than a Dalek, one of the oldest enemies of the Doctor!

The Doctor tells the sorry creature the fate of the rest of its species: apparently in the Time War, the Time Lords and the rest of the Dalek race were both extinguished, leaving this Dalek and the Doctor as the last of their respective races.

Dalek realizes that with its people dead, it, being a soldier, has no reason to exist anymore. However, when the Doctor informs Van Statten and his people of the truth, they strap him up and scan him, hoping to learn his secrets ... we learn that the Time Lord have two hearts, a binary cardio-vascular system.

The Doctor realizes that Van Statten not only studies the extraterrestrial specimens he collects ... but rather he uses their technology to make himself profit. Meanwhile, Rose meets Adam, a Brit like her and a genius among many employed by Van Statten to work for him in gathering alien technology and data.

Adam takes Rose to see the Dalek, but it tricks Rose into touching it, at which point it absorbs her DNA ... initiating some sort of "power" up, allowing it to regain control of its various weapons and abilities, all of which are extremely high-tech!

Immediately, the Dalek begins slaughtering Van Statten's men and officers, vaporizing them as well as using a powerful suction weapon. The Doctor convinces Van Statten to free him ... if he wants to live. They watch as the Dalek absorbs all of the power from Utah ... and also downloads every bit of data from the Internet!

The Dalek moves from the bottom level, trying to reach the surface, and killing all of the officers that stand in his way. It clears the last of Van Statten's men by dousing them all with rain water ... and then sending a surge of electricity through them! Before continuing, the Dalek contacts the Doctor, wondering what it should do.

The Doctor tells him that now that his people are dead, there's no reason for him to continue in this meaningless attempt to destroy everything ... although the Dalek comes to to the conclusion that he must nonetheless follow the primary instinct of all Daleks - to cleanse the worlds of beings that are different.

With no other choice, the Doctor and Van Statten initiate a lock-down, sealing the Dalek below. However, Rose and Adam race desperately to get the top beforehand, and Adam is able to make it just before the doors shut ... but Rose does not! The Doctor cannot believe it, but Rose tells him that it's not his fault ... and says that she wouldn't have missed it for the world.

However, instead of killing Rose, the Dalek asks her what is happening to him ... because he is apparently changing because of what he absorbed from her. The Doctor is relieved to see that Rose is alive, but he is given an ultimatum - open the doors or the Dalek will kill her. He does so, but then he goes with Adam to retrieve the hidden weapons ... ones that he kept hidden from Van Statten as leverage, ones that can destroy the Dalek.

Meanwhile, the Dalek and Rose arrive in the room, where it prepares to exterminate Van Statten ... but when it hesitates, Rose jumps in and convinces it not to. Instead, she takes it to the surface, where it absorbs the sunlight. The Doctor appears with a new weapon, ready to destroy it. However, Rose has convinced the Dalek to give up his mission of destruction, and shows him the true form of the creature, inside of the robotic armor.

The Doctor wishes to kill the Dalek, given what its kind did to his people ... exterminating the Time Lords, as well as all of the humans it had just slaughtered. However, Rose makes him see that he is the one acting like the monster, and the Doctor begins to understand what is happening to the Dalek - in absorbing Rose's DNA, it was not only given renewed life ... but also Rose's emotions, changing it ... turning it into more ... or less ... than a soldier designed for killing.

The Dalek does not wish to live this way and orders Rose to tell it to kill itself ... Rose does so, and the Dalek destroys itself from the outside-in. Meanwhile, Van Statten's employees do to him what he'd been doing to all of them - they erase his memory and throw him out into the middle of nowhere along the west coast. Adam races to the Doctor and Rose and tell them that the entire fortress is being sealed in cement, and Rose convinces the Doctor to let Adam join them, as he has nowhere else to go.

The three of them enter the TARDIS and take off ...
  • Exterminate, Exterminate! Written by Robert Shearman Directed by Joe Aherne

The Doctor: “Don’t you see? It’s all gone. Everything you were, everything you stood for”
    Dalek: “Then what should I do?”

Let’s be honest, the first five episodes which all have their merits were the warm up act of the new Doctor Who. This, however is our first water cooler episode (and with good reason) and here the pressure was quite high. After all, a whole new generation , including myself were about to get acquainted with one of the Time Lord’s greatest foes, the Daleks and this was certainly one confrontation you didn’t want to miss, whether you were a novice, a long term fan or happen to flit in between both groups.

Last seen in 1988’s “Remembrance Of The Daleks” (am I right with that fact?), the lone Dalek’s pain drew the TARDIS to an underground museum in Utah, the most conservative place in America, which may be ironic as the hour plays on the themes of bigotry and intolerance.

The Doctor and Rose soon find themselves as intruders to an arrogant billionaire named Henry Van Statten, the so called owner of the internet and in general, a collector of alien artefacts. Played by Corey Johnson, Henry is something of a dislikeable presence and the fact he’s willing to torture aliens of what he has no understanding of when he isn’t labelling them (both The Doctor and the Dalek get a taste of this) and has no problem with sacrificing his staff, when he isn’t wiping their memories makes him the first proper human villain we’ve had this season (Cassandra really doesn’t count on that score).

Halfway through the episode, I wanted to punch the guy’s lights out and most of the time, I had hoped the Dalek would’ve killed Henry but sadly this didn’t happen but more on my dislike for such a wretched character later.

It seems that seventeen years off screen and falling through space and time, not only is this Dalek the only survivor of it’s kind from the Time War but it struggles with that fact, when it isn’t ridiculing The Doctor. The relationship between The Doctor and the Daleks has always been psychological as well as destructive, which has been one of the reasons why they are iconic TV villains in their own right. Taking in the fact that I’m a slightly desensitised TV viewers and real life events, even I found the lone Dalek to be quite a threat in this episode. Easily the first genuine threat we’ve had as well might I add.

The Doctor’s hatred for this particular species whose only design is to kill at sight is understandable and Christopher Eccleston is given some complex material to chew on and does so effortlessly. The Dalek, when it wasn’t sucking, shooting and electrocuting all of Henry’s finest soldiers has other moments to shine. Its attempts of grappling with being the only Dalek in existence are fascinating as is the effect that Rose’s DNA is having on its mental state. It was her touch after all that made this thing a threat. Probably Rose’s dumbest moment to date touching an unknown creature but Billie Piper more than makes up for it during a surprise twist of events.

For once she and The Doctor are opposing paths as she takes the Dalek’s side, giving both her and The Doctor some fantastic reasons as to why the Dalek should live or die. With the right set of instructions, Rose alludes that there is a possibility of the Dalek not being a threat but The Doctor knows that without a conscious, the Dalek will always be a threat to humanity. Voiced by Nicholas Briggs, we got to see the inside nefarious creature and even I felt a little sympathy for it. I think Rose made the right call by telling the thing to exterminate itself in a spectacular sequence. Is this the last we’ve seen of the Daleks? I seriously doubt it but how about an introduction or what?

It was great to have a confrontation that was psychological and emotional. As a viewer it’s a lot more interesting to watch than unnecessary and extreme violent endings and that kind of an ending would’ve ruined the good work in this exceptional tour de force.

For me there seems to be a lot of giving in this episode and it extended way past the Daleks. The wonderful and quite pithy Diane Goddard (think Lilah Morgan in a way), nicely dispatched of Henry by erasing his memory and as a reward, we as an audience got the rather nice Adam (Coronation Street’s Bruno Langley) as a new companion for The Doctor and Rose.

What can I say about Adam? He’s something of a boy genius but not in an overly egotistically way, he’s got a massive crush on Rose (and I spotted that even before he gave her a tour of his living quarters), wants to explore the world, has nowhere to go and thinks people who claim to have seen aliens are nuts. Oh and The Doctor enjoys teasing him in a similar way to teasing Mickey. Does that cover everything? Either way, it’ll be interesting to see this trio tackle aliens for however long.

Also in “Dalek”

Henry’s museum contained chunks of meteorite, moon dust, an artefact from the Roswell spaceship, a Slitheen hand, a head of a Cyberman. We also saw a strange musical instruments and a variety of weapons.

Henry: “She’s quite pretty”
    Rose: “She is going to slap you if you keep calling her she”.

We got no Jackie or Mickey this week. Plus, our Bad Wolf sign was Henry’s helicopter. Who is this mysterious Bad Wolf the writers keep alluding to?

Doctor: “Impossible”
    Dalek: “The Doctor? Exterminate, exterminate!”

Dalek: “Do you fear me?”
    Rose: “No”.

The Dalek got a few nicknames in this episode including “Metaltron” by Henry, “Pepperpot” by Adam, a “Big Bin” by Rose and “Nothing” by The Doctor. Adam also got called “English” by Henry and “Pretty” by The Doctor.

Goddard (re Dalek): “But it’s killing them”
    Henry: “They’re dispensable, it’s unique”.

Adam (to Dalek): “Great big alien machine defeated by a flight of stairs”.

Adam made a sly reference to War Games when he said he hacked into the US defence system.

Adam (re fight): “I could”
    Doctor: “What are you gonna do? Throw you’re A-Levels at it”.

The chronology is 2012, six years after “Aliens Of London”/“World War Three”.

Doctor: “Why don’t you just die?”
    Dalek: “You would make a good Dalek”.

Henry had his assistant sent to either Mississippi or Michigan. Diane had him sent to Seattle, San Diego or Sacramento. She made him into a homeless junkie.

Doctor (re Dalek): “It couldn’t”
    Rose: “What about you, Doctor? What the hell are you changing into?”

Dalek: “Are you frightened Rose Tyler?”
    Rose: “Yeah”
    Dalek: “So I am”.

Diane ordered the Utah museum to be cemented. This whole plot reminded me of The Initiative in Buffy Season Four.

Wow, this was incredible! “Dalek” was not only a fantastic reintroduction to a classic foe but also a rather discussion worthy episode in how both the Dalek and The Doctor touched on bigotry in their destinies. Christopher Eccleston and Billie Piper delivered their best work to date as did our guest stars this week. Unmissable on every account!

• Ever feel sorry for the mass murdering Daleks? You will now.

The Doctor and Rose travel to Utah on the account of a distress signal- but it is from none other than his arch nemesis the Dalek!

The Dalek redesign is beautiful, it pays respect to the original whilst being up to date: a hard act indeed. Now you may say, 'oh that useless plungers still there', but by the end of the episode you’ll realize how essential it all is.

The regulars turn in fantastic performances, with the doctor's face-off with the Dalek is truly spine tingling and the Doctors range of emotions in the blink of the eye shows how traumatized he is by the time war. He goes over the edge, even willing to sacrifice Rose to stop it!

Speaking of the timewar, we learn more about it in this episode. The Daleks were behind it, with all of creation at stake. The Doctor took out the Dalek fleet, but unfortunately Gallifrey went in the inferno too.

What this all means is that the Daleks are gone from time, here one minute and gone the next- so what does this mean for there earlier invasions etc?

The guest performances are all solid, the best is definitely the evil Van Statten, showing off ruthlessness akin to a bond villain. Bruno Langley also throws in a good turn as Adam and improves in the following episode.

As with all Dalek episodes, death pays an important part- from the sucker plunging to the electrocution scene, death is portrayed vividly and so settees would be in order for the more squeamish.

So how could you possibly reconcile with such a sadistic evil, who believes all other life is wrong?

The Dalek absorbs Rose's DNA to gain life, but it also changes it- you can't absorb one certain quality without getting everything else and so the Dalek does. Gradually it mutates, becoming unable to kill: which is not life for the Dalek, but pain and thus commits suicide.

The first true classic of the season, one of the greatest episodes of Who ever- this is not to be missed.
  • The Doctor and Rose land in an alien museum owned by van stratten. There the the Doctor is surprised to find that van strattens greatest find is actualy an old enemy.

This is a fantastic episode. We finally get to see a Dalek after all these years and it is more deadly than ever before. This is a great storyline and the Dalek is brilliant. We even get to see it with emotions and its actual form. Amazing. This is an absolutely fantastic episode which cannot be missed.
  • Perhaps the second best piece of television of the year. (For the best - see episode "Father's Day".)

When I first watched Dalek, I was riveted.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm a big DW fan, watch all the re-runs on UK Gold to start my weekends, but I've never actually found the Daleks to be that convincing or frightening as a Baddie. They're just too single-minded to be really credible.

Until now.

Now we have a dalek showing fear, confusion, depression, hope... and that's before the "infection" by contact with Rose. To get that level of acting out of the traditional "pepperpot" (yes, the new Dalek design has technological developments we've not seen before - but again this is before "infection", still chained down, broken.) I *loved* the moment when the gun didn't work - the amazingly human look down at the faulty part whilst holding the part up - a man might have looked down at a tool i his hand thus.

We also get to see The Doctor absolutly terrified. That's also something that hasn't happened before. Always hithertoo The Doc has been cool, collected, or, at worst, fatalistic about his impending doom. Never screaming and scrabbling to get the door open...

And then I watched it again - we had guests who'd forgotten to record it so we watched the BBC3 repeat... and still it was good.

But on later reflection, I felt there were one or two flaws - not going to go into picky detail, but they're why this gets a 9.8 from me where episode "Father's Day" gets a flat 10.

With work like this, the good doctor is quite likely to continue another 40 years.
  • So different, they're the same.

While the Dalek as a villain would appear more similiar to the sillier "living plastic" enemy from "Rose," the complex history the Doctor shares with these robotic creatures makes what could've been a ridiculous storyline very believable. Even for a complete newbie, the Doctor's strong reaction upon first seeing the Dalek definitely sold the notion that this was a dangerous enemy, despite its comical appearance.

The idea of putting Rose in danger from the Monster of the Week might be a little overused, but it absolutely worked here -- and upped the intensity of the "hostage" situation.

But what really made this ep work was the brilliant way the Dalek "evolved" -- going from sympathetic, lonely creature to killing machine back to sympathetic, lonely creature. The story sets up beautiful parallels between the Doctor and the Dalek -- both alone in the universe, both lost but for Rose. The scene where the Doctor finally confronts Rose and the Dalek is particularly riveting -- as his quest for vengeance contrasts with her tendency towards forgiveness.

In the end, the "bad guy" is defeated not through any grand showdown, but through Rose's simple mercy. And the Doctor realizing he maybe has more in common with his mortal enemy than he originally thought is riveting character development indeed.
  • You will believe a Dalek can cry

This episode is a real tear-jerker. Especially if you're a fan of the Daleks, this episode is a real rollercoaster ride of emotion. Part of you will hate the Dalek along with the Doctor for its genocide of entire species (most notably, the Timelords of Gallifery who were destroyed along with the Daleks in the "Time War"). Part of you will cheer when the Dalek wipes out those pesky primates taking potshots at it. Part of you will weep when the Dalek realises it is alone, without purpose, and can't go on. This is what Doctor Who always should have been.
  • Different, yet beautiful.

I thought this was an extrememly different episode to what anyone would have expected.. Daleks with emotions, feelings, and confusion as to what it's purpose is. This is so very different from any other Dalek story ever and in that way slightly dissapointing. Yet, i believe this is what makes this episode so great as a stand alone story. The most brilliant part of this story was when the Dalek says to the doctor "You would have made a good Dalek" Different, yet beautiful.
< 1 2