Doctor Who

• Dag yo

5.5
    I HATE DALEKS.
  • My First Dr. Who!

I thought the Daleks were a little cheesy the first time I saw this, and still do actually, but they've kind of grown on me. The kids have watched several seasons of Dr. Who on summer break, and I really enjoy watching with them. This was a fun intro show, but better watching the second time around when I had a better idea of what is going on .
  • Daleks in Manhattan

Daleks in Manhattan was a perfect and awesome episode of Doctor Who. I really enjoyed watching this episode and it's one of my favorites. The story was superb and the characters were great. It was intriguing to see The Cult of Skaro and the references to the Original Doctor Who series. It was also interesting that the slave they created were pig men. I liked seeing New York in the 1930's and the stage actresses performing were great and had that 1930's New York Accent. The plan of the Cult of Skaro is revealed and it is interesting. I was surprised that Dalek Sec was the first to go through the transformation. Martha was awesome and smart. The other characters were very likeable. I liked how every thing played out and look forward to watching what happens next!!!!!!!!!
  • Interesting concept, but astoundingly cheesy execution.

This is, by far, the worst episode of the new 2005 series. The writing is ATROCIOUS, although it apparently appeals to the Brits, as most people rate this far higher than it every should have been. I find it amazing that the residents of a country with such a rich history of art and culture think THIS episode is worthy of a 9!

The writer should be fired and never allow to work on the series again. Let's get Matt Jones in for another 2 parter. the Impossible Planet / Satan Pit episodes were VERY enjoyable.
  • I find it's always difficult to accurately review the first episode of a two-part story without having seen the concluding episode. It's akin to doing a half-time report at a football match.

So, to continue the analogy, was the first of this Doctor Who game of two halves full of goals galore? Or a no-score bore? The story so far . . .

Having been to Multiple New York five billion years in the future, The TARDIS has landed in 1930 New York, where The Doctor and Martha Jones discover an America in the throes of The Depression. They visit Hooverville, a camp in Central Park, where impoverished inhabitants are forced to live.

Unbeknown to The Doctor, he's not the only alien in the city - The Cult Of Skaro, with the assistance of Dalek Sec's Emergency Temporal Shift, have escaped being sucked into the void at the end of their last encounter with The Doctor, and those last four Daleks in the Universe have plans for the human race and the under-construction Empire State Building.

They have enlisted the help of a local high flyer, Mr Diagoras, who has been "recruiting" residents of Hooverville for Dalek experiments under the pretext of working in the sewers. The Doctor and Martha join the latest work party, and discover terrifying Pig Men lurking in the depths - as well as remnants of what appears to be an alien lifeform.

Escaping to the surface, The Doctor, Martha and the leader of the Hooverville camp, Soloman, encounter a local showgirl, Tallulah, who explains her boyfriend, Lazlo, has disappeared.

To The Doctor's horror, research on his discovery in the sewers reveals that it's of Dalek origin - but he has a more-pressing concern. Martha has gone missing (again) and he believes she has been taken back to the sewers. He and Tallulah head down there in pursuit, where they discover Lazlo, his face disfigured into pig-like form by the Daleks.

Martha has been captured by the Daleks and, while The Doctor watches from the background, the Daleks reveal the secret of their "final experiment" to her - Dalek Sec has absorbed Diagoras inside its casing, and created a human Dalek hybrid. Their plan is to evolve into a new species . . .

Sounds like a goalscoring feast to me!

I thoroughly enjoyed this episode, as I have this whole series so far. Four episodes in, and I've found Series 3 has stepped up considerably on the previous two series, as the production team gain more confidence and experience.

I'm a fan of the two-episode format. The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances and Bad Wolf/The Parting Of The Ways in Series 1 and The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit and Army Of Ghosts/Doomsday in Series 2 are widely regarded by Doctor Who fans as the pick of their respective seasons, and the fact that these were longer stories is no coincidence. At the "old-style" four parts, the story has much more time to breathe and affords the writer space for improved characterisation. It would always be five two-parters and three single-parters for me. Possibly, some viewers are now accustomed to the faster pace of single episodes, and find two-parters slow by comparison but not me.

Script Editor and Doctor Who writing debutant Helen Raynor (doubtless with assistance from her mentor, Russell T Davies) delivered a fine script, with good background work and some promising ideas, notably the human Dalek, of course. The Pig Men - although why they were actually in that form is a curiosity (file in the writers' prerogative box) - were horrible-looking things. Kudos to the prosthetic team!

The Daleks were great here. Excellently voiced by Nick Briggs as always, seeing the individual Daleks with personality (of sorts) and interacting with each other as opposed to simply the "I obey" and "Exterminate" mantra, gives them an added dimension. Doctor Who moves up a level when the Daleks are around. And that was the case here, without them even engaging our eponymous hero. Loved the idea of the human Dalek, and it was superbly realised - a really great, dramatic cliffhanger, right up there with the end to Army Of Ghosts. And the Dalek Sec prosthetic was another triumph.

More marvellous work from The Mill, too, with the absorption of Diagoras into Dalek Sec's casing and converting Cardiff into New York, and Murray Gold's show tune was great fun and a welcome spot of light relief. James Strong, who did such a sterling job on The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit is a good director at the helm. He really has the knack of making a TV series look anything but.

The performances (because that's what they look like) of the extras and sometimes the supporting cast is a slight negative in many Doctor Who stories, I find, and some of the back-up and the accents did leave room for improvement. Hugh Quarshie was pleasing as Soloman, though and Miranda Raison was great as Tallulah (three els and an aitch). Obviously introduced as a lighter character to contrast the bleakness of the Daleks' plan, her Phantom Of The Sewers love story with Lazlo is another nice addition which couldn't really have been expanded upon in a single-episode story.

There was also a brief reminder of the background one-sided love story between The Doctor and Martha, in her exchange with Tallulah (amusing that she observed that The Doctor's liking of musical theatre meant he must be gay The Doctor's aside to himself that "(the Daleks) always survive, while he loses everything (he has)" shows his hostility towards his bete noir will never diminish - and that his loneliness has not been eased by Martha's presence. His feelings towards her are much more in keeping with the classic series Doctors' aloofness. This may change later in the series, but there's little sign of it so far. I've come to take Freema Agyeman and David Tennant's excellence as read this series. The latter has this role absolutely nailed with last year under his belt. He is going to be very difficult to replace when the time comes. Eight and a half out of 10 so far.
  • You know..... I'm a pretty open- minded girl when it comes to my perspective on attractiveness.

You know.....
    I'm a pretty open- minded girl when it comes to my perspective on attractiveness. I think Klingons are hot. I'd cuddle with a Wookie. I'd even try to figure out exactly which techniques Data is programmed with.

I have to draw the line at the newly revealed Human Dalek. Can we say YUCK.
    *shudders*
    *gag*

.... YUCK!!!!

Daleks in Manhattan was a great episode. In this episode we go back in time to 1930's New York smack dab in the middle of the depression. People are disappearing. Pig faced things are running around kidnapping them. We find out the Daleks are responsible for that and for building the Empire State Building. That's hilarious!

This episode had the right level of suspense and I'm going to cut this short and say I can't wait to watch the next episode. Getting ready to hop on a flight to Cardiff.....
  • An episode of realisations.

Martha realises that the Doctor hasn't noticed her awful attempts at flirting and isn't interested. The Doctor realises that while he lost everything, Skaro lived on. The Daleks realise that they are on the brink of extinction so go human. Impoverished New Yorkers realise that everything isn't right.
    I loved this episode. The Daleks are absolutely fantastic - I particularly admire the idea of the Cult Of Skaro: the thinking Daleks. This ep., as all of the other Dalek ep.s, was just as good as the one that went before. I can't wait to see what happens next, with Sec the Dalek-human xD.
  • this episode is absaloutly brilliant in every way and there is also a new form of dalek called the human dalek I just cannot believe it.

this episode is deffinatly my favourite episode with daleks in it ( so far ) . I find the pig slaves when you look close up to them really freaky because they have that sloppy dull red eyed face. but the main story of this episode is the evoloution of the dalek it was so cool at first when they said that there was going to be an evolved dalek but I never new it was going to be human , I really would of prefered dalek sec as the way he is not the human thing , why did have to do it on dalek sec is what i am woundering and most of all he was my favourite .
  • It's the Genesis of the Daleks all over again...

Ahhh, this is more like it! Daleks prowling grubby tunnels. Selfish humans, eager to do their bidding – and sell out the human race.

While the ‘Daleks in Manhattan’ lacks the sophistication of ‘Gridlock’, it's adherence to a path worn smooth by countless regenerations of Doctor Who means it doesn't feel half-baked. And so, instead of reflecting on the inadequacies of the plot, one can sit back and relish the show. Okay, Miranda Raison's accent occasionally slips lower than the cut of her dress. But she makes up for it with a fabulous song and dance number, that even outstrips Martha's sub Morecambe-and-Wise antics behind her.

If there's a real weakness, it's that the sparse plot isn't as suspenseful as it ought to be, and that the final Human-Dalek hybid (‘Hulek’?) is bland. But Art Deco and Daleks go together like Easter and chocolate eggs. So bring it on.
  • Sec's And The City Written by Helen Raynor Directed by James Strong

Diagoras: “Accidents happen”
    The Doctor: “What do you mean, what sort of accidents?”

Well seeing as we got New New York for the second time in last week’s episode, this week we actually get to see the real New York and the glitz and glamour as our opener really pays homage to the New York many of us have seen idolised in plenty of old movies.

Every episode needs someone unknown to root for and this week, the poor soul who garners sympathy is stage Laszlo (played by Desperate Housewives’ actor Ryan Carnes) who not only shows his commitment to showgirl girlfriend Tallulah (Spooks actress Miranda Raison) by giving her a rose every time she performs but he also wants her to meet his mother too, something which takes the seemingly cynical girl by surprise.

With that nice bit of happiness and Tallulah off to earn her next meal, Laszlo’s moment of joy is well and truly shoved down the sewer when he finds himself kidnapped by a Pig Man and therefore, we get our great lead into the opening credits. Hey, it was better than the way “Gridlock” opened up.

Not shortly after Laszlo’s disappearance, The Doctor and Martha also arrive in New York and snippy comments aside from the latter, there’s much to in a city where the Statue Of Liberty shines high and the Empire State Building is awaiting completion and it doesn’t take much for anyone to realise that Martha won’t be sight seeing in the conventional manner so to speak.

Nope instead while she manages to impress The Doctor by figuring out the exact date that they are in, The Doctor uses the same newspaper to realise that they are people missing and a purpose to their visit. Yeah, I think Martha is going to quickly realise that even in New York danger awaits her.

However the danger is a lot better than the squalor these two discover when they pay a visit into Hoover Ville, the very same where many people who suffered from the Wall Street Crash are now forced to live among each other and desperately fight for the own survival, which includes fighting each other at times over a loaf of bread.

Being versed enough in this particular era known as the Depression, the depiction of this place is greatly brought to life and even among the poor, there is a leader and they don’t come more charming or endearing than former World War 1 veteran Soloman, who is greatly brought to life by Holby City actor Hugh Quarshie.

Soloman is not only quick to break a fight between two people in Hoover Ville but is also pretty welcoming of The Doctor and Martha and within minutes more or less confirms the news of people going missing. The question is though, who is taking these people and why?

Because the title is so obvious, the perpetrator responsible in a way is sleazy power player Mr Diagoras who is not only forcing his workers to work faster on the construction of the Empire State Building but when one of the workers tries to revolt on him, Diagoras’ bosses are all too keen to deal with him in their own way and we know that they are a lot worse than an ass like Diagoras.

Diagoras’ bosses are of course The Cult Of Skaro, who survived the events of “Doomsday” by teleporting themselves out of there as the remainder of the Daleks along with the Cybermen got sucked in the void but instead of Dalek Fey wanting to exterminate the defiant worker, it seems that having him turned to a Pig Man is a more viable option.

Helen Raynor certainly wasn’t telling porkies when she mentioned that this two-parter would show us a very different side to the Daleks because to an extent it really does. Okay it’s not the strangest thing in the world that they have devised a slave race to help them with their nefarious plan but rarely do they also use the manipulation of a human being to do it as well.

Like a lot of egomaniacs, Diagoras is both dangerous and stupid enough to endanger other people in order to become a power player within New York. Unlike Soloman, this former soldier has managed to retain a power and wealth that in reverse situations could easily be lost and despite his lack of curiosity and fear over both the The Cult Of Skaro and the Pig Men, he’s very willing to help them all out for his own benefit.

The slimy bastard was more than likely responsible for Laszlo’s transformation and he’s more than happy to put The Doctor, Martha, Soloman and naïve Frank in danger by offering them a job in the sewers for slave wages. It’s no surprise that The Doctor accepted the job as Diagoras instantly roused his suspicions but Martha taking her time to realise what The Doctor was up was a little jarring.

Still though there’s a great conversation between her and Frank before the Pig Men came and manage to snare the good natured kid as The Doctor easily fell into the trap and things took an amusing turn when the gang became acquainted with Tallulah who won brownie points for her amusing way of using a stage prop in order to get some answers.

Forwarding the opening scene on a bit, Tallulah soon realises that the people missing in the sewers might also include Laszlo and while Miranda Raison’s American dialect is a tad too tacked on for listening pleasure, I have to admit that Tallulah does stand out as a guest star.

The girl will never be famed for tact and demeanour but with an audacity similar to the Dead Like Me character Daisy Adair, her priceless comments make her a lot of fun to watch and she certainly develops an interesting rapport with The Doctor and Martha, although it’s really the conversation with the latter that holds most substance and intrigue.

While The Doctor is able to get Soloman to open about his fear and watch as the man goes to warn his people about the Pig Men, it’s Tallulah who takes the plunge of asking Martha about her relationship with The Doctor and just like her interaction with Cheen on the same matter, Martha is still unsure of where she stands with The Doctor. In some ways it’s nice that the establishment between Doctor and Newbie is still finding its way but you do wonder how much longer Martha’s unrequited crush as such will last. It’s not necessarily annoying but if constantly reneged on it could affect her characterisation just a little.

One thing that should be credited to Martha however is the fact her perceptiveness is rapidly speeding up in a way similar to Rose and completely opposite to Gwen in Torchwood. When she spots a Pig Man during Tallulah’s breathtaking performance of “Heaven And Hell”, she automatically realises that the spectator is Laszlo.

However Martha made the grave error of following Laszlo and getting herself captured as a direct but thanks to the way she ruined Tallulah’s performance and The Doctor’s analysis of an alien blob confirming The Cult Of Skaro’s presence, it’s not like it took much for The Doctor to find his new girl Friday.

Now onto The Cult Of Skaro, seeing as their great plan to open the Genesis Ark more or less failed them, you have to wonder what the hell are they doing in New York, why are Diagoras’ workers using the same metal as them on the Empire State Building and what the hell are they doing with turning men in swine’s and enslaving them?

It seems that between the events of “Doomsday” and “Daleks In Manhattan”, Dalek Sec has had time to evaluate and while he’s still more than convinced that the Daleks are a superior race, even he can’t deny despite their best efforts, the Daleks always seem to defeated in one way or another.

It’s fantastic that he actually comes out with the very argument that most of us viewers have thought from time to time and his ideas of evolving to a further stage in the Dalek race does not sit well with Dalek Fey and because Diagoras is more or less dead inside, the Pig Men are instructed to restrain him while Sec does the final stages of his experiment. Sadly none of them include shutting the slimy Diagoras but you just know that despite his brazen arrogance Diagoras wasn’t going to survive the Daleks plan. People like Diagoras want to be big players but in the end become pawns. If there’s a cautionary tale for how you treat or underestimate others, then Diagoras’ fate might be that when Dalek Sec snacks upon him. Now even I didn’t think a whole human could fit into a Dalek like the way Diagoras did but that’s only the tip of the slime balls’ fate.

With Martha captured and reunited with Frank, Dalek Fey quickly arrived to scan for intelligence and the sods that are deemed dumb become pigs and the ones who are smart are used for the Daleks’ latest experiment. In other ways, whether she’s deemed with low or high intelligence, Martha is well and truly screwed if she doesn’t put her thinking cap on or gets rescued.

Tallulah’s reaction when she finds Laszlo and realises he was turned into a Pig Man because he was considered dumb is nicely played but it’s Laszlo’s determination to protect his girlfriend and aid The Doctor makes him even more likeable. At least we have one more episode with this guy and Tallulah’s moment to either help or flee is also nicely affecting.

Jumping in with the crowd mightn’t be The Doctor’s usual way of doing things but it’s interesting how he is quick to get Martha to ask the Daleks what they are up as they argue over the experiments on Dalek Sec working. Watching the Daleks argue with each other is definitely one of the episode’s strong points.

I actually liked Martha’s reaction when she realised she was dealing with the Daleks in the sewers, especially as it tied in wonderfully with The Doctor telling Tallulah how this race destroy everything in it’s path. The loss of Rose is still there but it’s also contradicted the realisation from Dalek Sec that his race are always getting their butts kicked no matter how many lives they end in the process.

One of the most interesting things is the idea of a Dalek/Human hybrid and when Dalek Sec opens up and spits a mutated form of Diagoras, it ends the first part of this saga on a jaw dropping end. Dalek/Human hybrids have been done in “The Parting Of The Ways” but there’s something about seeing the actual results in one sitting that’s quite stunning.

Also in “Daleks In Manhattan”

Brief fact: Only locations shots of New York were filmed. It turns out none of the actors actually went there as even Ryan Carnes admits to being in Cardiff for this two-parter.

Laszlo: “Now promise, Sunday you’ll come”
    Tallulah: “I promise”.

Worker: “These new bosses, what are their names?”
    Diagoras: “You can say they’re out of town”.

Why is it that once again police don’t seem to care when poor people go missing? Even someone like Tallulah couldn’t use her limited clout to get the cops interested in looking for Laszlo.

Diagoras: “It’ll get done, don’t worry”
    Dalek Fey: “Daleks have no concept of worry”
    Diagoras: “Yeah lucky you”.

We learn that while Soloman is WW1 vet, Frank is from Tennessee and had to leave because he was the oldest in his family. He seemed to have a thing for Martha.

Martha (re Pig Men): “They’re following you”
    The Doctor: “I’ve noticed that, thanks”.

Tallulah (to Martha): “It’s the Depression, sweetie. Your heart might break, but the show goes on. Cause if it stops, you starve”.

Isn’t what The Cult Of Skaro doing with their experiments similar to what Lumic was doing with Cybermen? They’re picking people they consider inferior for enslavement and intelligence for a new species/source of causing destruction.

The Doctor: “You’re not safe down here”
    Tallulah: “Then that’s my problem”.

Laszlo (re Daleks): “They’ll kill you”
    The Doctor: “If I don’t stop them, they’ll kill everyone”.

Chronology: November 1st 1930. First time we got an exact date to the very day, though Raynor was specific that this episode would be based in 1930.

Martha: “I’m so glad to see you”
    The Doctor: “Yeah well you can kiss me later. You too Frank if you want”.

Standout music: Miranda Raison’s singing was better than expected.

Easily one of the most unconventional plots for the Daleks in this series so far, the self-explanatory “Daleks In Manhattan” is a triumph for former script editor Helen Raynor and with a flurry of brilliant guest stars and that tempting hook, how on earth could we not want more?
  • 'It’s the Depression, sweetie. Your heart might break, but the show goes on' (Spoilers)

According to Russell T. Davies, he gave ‘Daleks Of Manhattan’ writer Helen Raynor a shopping-list of elements to weave into her script: 1930s New York, pig men, sewers, showgirls, the Empire State Building and, of course, Daleks. Raynor skillfully utilizes this rather bizarre mish-mash of concepts and delivers a beautifully honed script full of tension, drama and thrills. Landing in New York in 1930, the Doctor and Martha investigate disappearances in ‘Hooverville’, a destitute community living in Central Park and looked after by the world-weary and wise Solomon. As construction of the fabulous Empire State Building continues, under the supervision of the sinister Mr. Diagoras, it becomes clear that something else is going on. Falling in with a sassy showgirl named Tallulah, the Doctor and Martha come face to face with his old nemeses as the Cult of Skaro- the last four Daleks in existence- frantically seek a solution to their continued existence. The result is something horrifying… First off, massive kudos to Helen Raynor for her brilliant script that is nicely brought to life with skill by director James Hawes and all the visual effects teams. New York looks sumptuous, the showgirls look glitzy whilst Hooverville looks the right kind of depressing and the sewers a claustrophobic quality which really works. Using familiar New York icons as the Statue of Liberty and the Empire State Building, and giving them a little sci-fi twist, is inspired. Tallulah’s song and dance number looks great too.

Performances are great by the guest cast. Hugh Quarshie gives an air of dignity and honour to the war veteran Solomon, trying to keep Hooverville under control and peaceful. Similarly, Miranda Raison’s blowsy and brassy showgirl Tallulah belies a broken heart as she waits for her boyfriend to return. Great performances both. Andrew Garfield adds the aww factor as fresh-faced Tennessee boy Frank whilst Eric Loren is impressive as the sinister and power-mad Diagoras. But of course, the best performance- apart from the Daleks- comes from David Tennant as his anger, rage and frustration at finding his oldest enemies still surviving whilst he loses so much pours out. It was a good decision to have him explain the Daleks to Tallulah rather than Martha (cos Martha, quite frankly, has a superior intellect). Freema again quietly impresses, especially when Martha is taken prisoner by the pig-men and she becomes stronger.

Finally, the Cult of Skaro. The four remaining Daleks have come up with a plan to evolve, with leader Dalek Sec (the Black Dalek) sacrificing himself for the splice. That effect was particularly nasty as the Dalek mutant envelops Diagoras. Nicholas Briggs is again superb, giving each Dalek a distinct voice beneath the howl. The only problem for me was differentiating which Dalek was which in the other three. It’s a slight niggle, but if they’re going to be distinct, the design should be perhaps a little clearer. That said, there’s some wonderful writing for them, especially when Caan looks over Manhattan and explains that his planet has gone and the argument between the Daleks over the plans to evolve, with Dalek Thay giving the old answer of racial purity. It’s nice to have a script that deals with the nature of survival and evolution that doesn’t batter you over the head with the ideas. The script, very naturally, brings these points out. It’s great. All in all, we have a really skilful manouevring of the various pieces of the story together; this promises a second part that’ll knock it out of the park. Let’s hope we’re not wrong.
  • In depression era new york the poor are disapearing but since there poor ,nobody care except the doctor

Martha and the doctor arrive in front of the statue of liberty in the 1930s
    (i thought last week was her last trip
    have they abandoned that plot line?)
    They quickly find them selves in Hooverville
    a shanty town full of the dispossessed .
    People are disappearing and the man buiding the empire estate building may know something about it
    as well as his new masters.
    The doctor as always gets involved quicky and in the sewers of the city encounter pig people he and martha are taken to the dalek stronghold and the grand experiment is revealed
    (except it not such a suprise due to the radio times magasine splashing the hybrid all over ther front cover)

An okay episode tension built up nicely
    the daleks return after escaping the battle of canary wharf
    There mystery with the specail tower transmitter and its purpose.
    I could nt wait for the exxiting conclusion

minor bugs include
    bad accents
    oh dear oh dear
    Pig people
    why??
    if they wanted slaves the daleks previously used
    control helmets
    for humans (dalek invasion earth )
    surley they would be a hell of a lot less conspicious than mutant pig people.

minor gripes ,i agree still miles better than the shakespeare code
    but i can think of about 26 episodes of the top of my head that are.
  • Putting on the Ritz

I have stated in my previous reviews about Series three that I have found the pace slow, and the story telling not up to previous series par.
    With Gridlock there was an improvement and with 'Daleks in Manhattan' the groundwork has been laid for the next episode 'Evolution of the Daleks'.
    I enjoyed this episode. Although towards the end it seemed to loose steam for me. Sadly I had stumbled across a spolier picture of the DALEK/Human hybrid and the surprise was ruined for me.
    But the picture I saw on the internet had me very excited.
    But seeing it speak I have to admit I am unsure if I like the hybrid concept.
    Although within the Dr Who univerese it does make sense to have the DALEKS evolve. But it also turns a lot of DALEK cannon on its head.
    It many ways it seems regressive from DAVROS's plans.
    New York looks fantastic and all the characters are great.
    I found that the DALEKS didn't have the impact as previous episodes, but yey again i know it is all a foundation to the next episode. I am looking forward to the DVD release of in Manhattan' and 'Evolution of the Daleks' purely for the movie length feast of the two episodes side by side.
    Still a great job with a lot of rewatch value.
  • The Daleks take Manhattan

Ah, the Dalek's are back. Last seen at Canary Wharf the four remaining Dalek's have reappeared in 1930s New York. And they're not there to take in the sights. No, they are plotting to further the Dalek race by embracing Darwinism.

Meanwhile, the Doctor and Martha have also arrived in New York (What a coincidence!) and end up in a Hooverville because people have been disappearing.

This is because they are being turned into pig slaves; which were really very creepy, and they are mindless slaves who get more people for the Daleks.

Then throw in some dancing girls and a half changed pig man. This was another great episode. The Daleks are back and that can never be bad. Also, the New York accents were not as bad as the TV led to believe. And the end was briliant. I can't wait to see what happens next week witht he humanoid Dalek.

Ten out of ten
  • Amazing!!!!

Great episode, great story!!! Just needs more exterminating and less experimenting!!! I like the fact that the writers have the Cult of Skaro living up to their purpose of thinking outside of the box (or outside of the "cage", if you prefer). My only real complaint is that the NYC skyline looked kinda weak (the occasional bad CGI shot of the show). It was good to see it set in a period of American history often glossed over and to see the dirty, harsh reality of life in that time. The use of that setting by the Daleks and their involvement in the history of a world famous marvel of architecture make the wait for part 2 unbearable!!
  • Martha and the Doctor take a trip to New York, 1930, when America is in the grip of depression. Pig men stroll the sewers, and the cult of Skaro is back...

I wasn't really looking forward to this episode, as they've done the whole Dalek angle many times before, and it's getting a bit worn out. However, i was pleasantly surprised. I didn't actually think that this episode was too bad, quite good in fact, kept me on the edge of my seat. Must say, the cult of Skaro are definately a force to be reckoned with. First off, the pig men. Must say, kinda disgusting really, and looked incredibly realistic, like it could actually be done, which makes it also quite creepy. Liked Lazslo...didn't like the others. The Doctor showed a passion once more in this one i never thought i would see in a sci-fi Tv show. Down in the sewers when he's with tallulah, and he's talking about the daleks...makes you want to give him a hug. The hybrid...holy-mary-mother-of-god! I don't think i could ever be truely repulsed by a dalek...RTD proved me wrong. Not only was it disgusting, but utterly creepy. One thing though, it no longer has armour or a laser...not really a dalek anymore. Evolution? I don't know...
    Found it quite funny when the Doctor joined the captured Martha, and the cult of skaro didn't even notice him standing there! HAH! One thing did annoy me though, the american accents... oooo, they were allright, but not...good. Can't wait until the next episode, see what'll finally happen to the last of the Daleks (or not, seeing as they continue to pop up). And also, what do they want with the empire state building? Too many questions that need to be answered... Looking forward to the answers.
  • Martha and the Doctor visit New York during the Depression, which becomes even more depressing due to the presence of the Daleks.

An exciting episode, like most modern episodes featuring the Daleks. They are certainly taking them into new directions. Dalek-Human hybrids, what's next??

I understand the hesitation of the three other Daleks, the Daleks were always very much convinced of their superiority, yet their leader seems to think they need to adapt, assimilate, merge even with humans in order to progress and survive as a species. But will it still be the Dalek species??

A great script so far, with some nice touches, as usual. The following is a typical Russell T. Davies exchange:

"The Doctor: Yeah well you can kiss me later. You too, Frank, if you want."

Again, Martha shows her courage, she's increasingly becoming one of my favourite companions and I never thought I'd say that.
  • The Doctor and Martha arrive in 30's New York. It's the depression and most folks are living in Hooverville's around Manhattan. But unaware to him,the Daleks are back and planning the most audacious experiment to ensure the survival of the Dalek race...

The Daleks are back in style in 1930's Manhattan.

To be honest, I didn't have too much hope for this story. I thought that based on the previews it would be a slow episode with a slow realisation and gradual build-up of the plot but I was wrong, it was paced well and thoroughly enjoyable. The Daleks were great. Not just senseless murders, but are back to their intellegent, scientific, manipulating selves. The way they were portrayed in this episode reminded me very much of the classic serial, 'The Dalek Invasion of Earth'. Capturing parties of humans, forcing them to work for them, the Doctor hiding from them as they glide past. I just loved it. Plenty of character development, funny lines, glitz and glamour in the form of the showgirls, scary moments in the sewers and over-all great storytelling by Helen Raynor. Wonderful. Looking forward to next weeks episode, looks action packed and the Daleks finally get to do some killing!
  • daleks? Overused? Never!

There was a lot of negative talk when it was revealed that the daleks would retun this season, naysayers said that they were being raped for all they're worth, with 3 seasons of appearances. Classic doctor who, they appeared in all 3 of William Hartnell's full seasons. Once in season 1, twice in season 2, once in season 3, another two times in patrick troughton's first season. I think its just people's excuses for thinking that Daleks in manhatten would lose its edge a bit. And to an extent they're right, this episode didn't feel as dark and edgy as say Dalek, but I don't have that many problems with it.
    I admire people who can write period set stuff. I know what I said about shakespeare code, but I still admire people who can research their work to a good extent. Helen Raynor has done her research and she's done it well. I know people are going to point out that soloman wasn't instantly targeted by the KKK, but remember that was in the deep south where people are crazy and send people to the electric chair for saying that the bible might actually have some flaw to it. Of course I'm just being cynical and guarenteeing that I will get billions of disagrees (I'm trying to get off level 8 because "Super friend" is very geeky sounding). Anyway, though when standing below the statue of Liberty I was instantly thinking "It's doctor who standing in toytown" I also had my hopes up high. I was interested to see how they'd portray New York, whether they would get it exactly right (unlike shakespeare code) of course I couldn't have expected exactly right, but trying not to show street scenes was a smart move, as with new earth the budget looks a bit tight when you've got a lot of dalek and pig effects to cover. Still, hooverville may have looked a bit over the top but I'm not gonna dwell on that for the rest of the review.
    A bit of crap acting all around here but I did like the girl that played tallulah (that how you spell it?) lose the accent and she could've made a good assistant (yes, I have a problem with accents that sound marylin monroesque, monroe was sexy I admit, but as long as she kept her mouth closed)
    Anyway, down to my main problem, the pig people. Its like the opposite of last episode, where they didn't need to bring the macra back in gridlock, they could have brought back the goons for hire the "ogrons" from the Third doctor's battles with the daleks, well two, but still it would've made a nice touch, it wouldn't have reminded me of aliens of london so much. Anyway, i liked the fact that the way the scenes with the daleks were handled was sorta written like the classic series, in that we see thier plans seperately from the doctor, its hard not to like the daleks, after forty five years they've still got it.
    Anyway, despite this episode's obvious flaws, the way it was written I can't argue with, and the daleks being back even better. the resolution next episode should be good.
    But to be honest I'm looking forward to 42, saw the bbcI trailer and was told that bit was from 42, then red the plot and loved the idea. Can't wait.
  • Wow. Now the eternal wait for part 2.

After seeing the previews for this weeks episode, I'd expected a dud. There seemed to be an emphasis on the 'pig-people' creatures which was absent from the actual episode -- they were secondary characters to the plot. This was as good a ride as 'The Impossible Planet/Satan Pit' 2-parter from a previous season.

I thoroughly enjoyed it all. A good amount of character development, sci-fi, good-acting, glitz, glamor (loved the stage-actress character), and great story-telling all rolled into one fantastic hour that left me wanting more.

Everything worked and all wound up with the perfect ending for a 2-parter. The closing scene, with the final words of the hybrid, to me was definitive SciFi. This viewer is very much interested in how the story winds up -- will next Saturday ever come? :)
  • The Doctor and Martha take a trip to New York, and stumble upon another deadly plot by an old foe.

I gave this a 9.5, but only because I love Doctor Who and could never give an episode any lower than this. Saying that, this episode wasn't great. I know with two parters, the first one is often very slow, leading up to something, and this lead on to something, but I wasn't hooked by it. To me, the episode seemed to small to lead up to a huge confrontation with the daleks, so hopefully next weeks will blow us all away.

The accents annoyed me too, they just didn't seem realistic. Also, there didn't seem to be a real threat at the present, no one ever seemed to be in real danger, well no-one you cared about. However, always, Doctor Who is great and this episode was good, but not the best...
  • The return of the Daleks!

So the Daleks have returned but i doubt for very long as there is always some way to defeat them even if they always seem to survive.Not saying that i dislike the fact they re-use the Daleks i enjoy the dynamic they bring to the show.

The setting for this episode was perfect and the inclusion of the empire estate building was genius.The idea for pig slaves was interesting if not slightly weird.I noticed the fact they included Solomons speech about people being equal in hoverville and yet the daleks proved otherwise when victims were separated into low intelligence and high intelligence.Proving there will always be doubt.

I am always shocked at the outcome of these episodes.i was totally not expecting the ending; HUMAN DALEKS what? the morphing of the two was great writing and the make up that went into that must of been phenomenal.Although it is just such an unrealistic idea it just looked so real it made it possible. Awesome episode
  • Yawn

6.9
    Why do Pig Men when you can't make them look real? Why would you do that, eh? Anyway, aside from some dodgy acting, annoying accents, embarrassing dialogue, and the Pig Men, this was good. The Daleks are back, and Dalek Sec is an interesting character. The effects are good, and New York is pretty well realised. David and Freema are great in their scenes together.
    But the pace is slow, more than it should be, even in a two parter, and at times this story feels as if it is verging on melodrama. Please can Doctor Who get better and be as good as it was in series 1 and 2. I miss this show, and since this series began it just hasn't been the same.
  • Top class episode. Is it a new future for the daleks??

Excellent episode.

It started off a bit slow but the minute the Doctor found the green splodge the things picked up and kept going.

i haven't really got anything overly negative to say so i'll just point out my personal highlights.

The acting all round was above average, i was expecting to cringe at the attempts at the American accents but frankly i've heard a lot worse. Tennant again impresses without the wacky histrionics of last season, he impresses me more with every episode.

The Pig make up was fantastic, i kept thinking they should make an alternative sequel to "Planet of the Apes" and call it "Planet of the pigs" but i'm probably on my own there.

I like the Dalek/Human hybrid although thanks to the Radio Times cover it was no shock, although it's a shame that it was Sek who merged and not a lesser Dalek.

I look forward to seeing how it all progresses. I'dlike to see the Hybrid survive and become like a new Davros or further down the line meet the real Davros and see where that leads.
    Obviously not too much will change as there is no way that the BBC are going to do away with such an iconic and recognisable design as the Daleks.

I've watched Doctor Who for many many years and where as they don't frighten me i still get a charge when they show up.
  • The daleks return in style!

This episode sees the daleks return in their evilest scheme yet. they plan to combine with humans to create a new stronger dalek race in order to survive since there are only 4 daleks left. This time araound the daleks have servants in the form of pigmen which used to be humans but wee changed due to experiements carried out by the daleks. This epsode also takes a gritty view of life in america in 1930. people who know the'r history will know that this is during the time of the great depression. where people were living on camps in the middle of parks. This episode ends on a great cliffhanger as the "human dalek" is created. can't wait till next week to see what happens.