Doctor Who

Day Of The Moon (2)

Aired Saturday 8:00 PM Apr 30, 2011 on BBC America

• Yay!!

Very reassuring after the unredeemed confusingness of the Series 5 finale.
  • Day Of The Moon

Day Of The Moon was a fantastic and very entertaining episode of Doctor Who. I really enjoyed watching because the story picks up abruptly 3 months after the end of the prior episode and viewers are thrown into a dramatic plot with lots of action and intrigue. I liked learning more about the Aliens and who they are. It was awesome how Canton Delaware built an impenetrable prison for The Doctor though it was for their use. I liked how the President bailed The Doctor out after being caught by government officials. The Silence were pretty scary and the idea of them makes you think what if something like that really existed?! There was a lot more development on River and The Doctor and some revelation about Amy. I liked how every thing played out and look forward to watching what happens next!!!!!!!!!
  • One of the best episodes ever

Omg is the only thing you can say after this episode! It was very confusing, but soooo good confusing at times! You are left with a lot of questions, but what mind blowing questions. Especially the end scene, which i loved! Glad we're back in the sadle with Doctor Who after a mediocre season 4 and 5. Can't wait to see the next episodes!
  • a good conclusion to the two-parter though it's still very confusing and many questions are left unanswered.

This episode like the previous one is very confusing perhaps even more so. It dosen't help the the episodes starts 3 months after the end of the previous one, the doctor's companions are getting captured by the govenemnt, though it turns out they were only pretending to capture them. Also turns out the silence had been here a long time, dunno exactly how long and why the even came here in the first place, anyway the it's pretty cool the way the doctor gets rid of them. Also it turns out amy isn't pregnant, or is she? The best and most shocking part of the episode is the last scene in my opinion, I won't give away what happens, but I didn't quite know what to make of it, i'm sure we'll find out about that in a future episode. Also the matter of the doctor dying in the previous episode is still left unresolved, all in all a good episode hope the season keeps up this good quality.
  • Absolutely bonkers!

Well what can you say? Well for a start I've never watched anything quite like that! And thats always a plus side! Day of the Moon felt like an experimental ground for what Doctor Who can do that it hasn't done before or in recent memory, and somehow, despite so many deliberatly unanswered questions weaved together into story that kind of made sense.

To some it may not be satisfactory, it may seem loose and weak; that the story made little sense and things didn't weave together. However, Moffat is clearly taking the show into the world of time travel...Unlike all other sci-fis (which do great time travelling stories) He is really eliminating the linear feel, which for a time travelling show is certainly good. And it's bloody brave too! It's almost brand new story telling, so many things are being throw out the window structurally speaking, rules that almost all shows obey by default. And again if any show should get rid of them, its a time travelling show. There's seemingly a challenge made to the viewer, Keep up if you can! And it makes for a more analytical viewing, as daft and as accessible as Doctor Who is, this is lazy viewing, blink and you might miss something!

This opening two parter has really cemented the new cast and crew and if the last season did help you move on from Tennant, then this opening 2 parter most certainly will.
  • Wow. That was very good.

As in all-time best of good. As in instant classic good.

The supporting cast clicked together for the first time, the time travel stuff was clever for a change, the ending was mind-blowing and set up the rest of the season nicely, the scary bits were scary (as in *really* scary, by the way) and the fun bits were fun.

It's... yeah. No complaints. Which feels weird, because I'm very good at complaining, especially about Doctor Who. So...

...yep. I'm not sure about what to do with the rest of the review. Maaaaybe, grasping at straws, this is still very much set up mode for what's upcoming, so if they payoff isn't great, which happened last season a lot, maybe that'll sour the experience of this two parter.

But for what it is, in isolation, this was incredibly well made. Even the throwaway bits were clever. The TARDIS landing on the side of a wall to catch River not just catching River but making her land in the pool with a squirt of water coming out the door? Brilliant. A two second gag and it was better visual comedy than most comedies can put together.

And the ending. Man, that was cool. And the Deus ex Machina was also inventive and fun and it made sense and...

Yeah, you know what? I may not have forgiven Moffat for his timey wimey first season... yet. But this Who is now worth watching for fans and non fans alike. I'm back on board in full.

Also, pirates.
  • An episode that leaves more questions than it answers.

In part 2 of the season 6 opener Moffat has really out done himself. He has left us with so many unanswered questions that I think my head might explode with them all. I'm not sure if I should hug or kill Moffat for that. I won't get into all the question incace some of you haven't watched the episode yet. But I can tell you that there are seven big (by my count.) unanswered questions left at the end of this episode. Some people might find the episode confusing at times, but I have to say that all the twist and turns just made the episode that much better. Moffat has taken the fact that this show is about time travel and used it to the extreme. So much so that it can at times be a little hard at times, to know where you are in each person's personal timeline. But all in all, this episode was a lot of fun and I can't wait for episode 3.
  • Three months after the previous events, the Doctor is held prisoner, while Amy, River and Rory are hunted down by the FBI – but they are the only hope of saving Earth from the Silence. Confusing, a slight anti-climax in a way, but definite quality...

This review contains spoilers.

Cards on the table time. I'm unusually late with my review (I'm usually straight on-line after the episode to review – no life) for a combination of reasons. So much from the story to take in and try and fathom out, coupled with factors of my personal life at the moment (which made it even harder to try and get my head around this ep), that I didn't get around to tackling this one yesterday. But here we go...

Setting the story three months after the events of the previous episode, 'The Impossible Astronaut', is an interesting twist. Much of this whole story has felt to be of "season finale" standards, but in a good way, and not as overpowering and incomprehensible as equivalent Russell T. Davies offerings were.

Although there are still some good moments (sequences of Amy being chased through the desert are quite memorable, and unsurprisingly have been used in a number of BBC trailers for the show), this episode has less American location shots, with the budget for that aspect seemingly have mostly gone to the first half.

Rory is shot dead early on, giving us some hope that the writers might finally be sparing us of the character (I'm joking! Clock up the 'thumbs down' ratings). Actually, Arthur Darvill is getting ever better in the role, but I can't help that feel (as I commented on the previous episode) that he does slightly cramp Amy's more interesting character; if at very least, I wish they had given us a chunk more "Amy and the Doctor" tales before throwing Rory in. He's an okay character, but I just can't help feel that he cramps things at times.

River... still a bit annoying. Such an interesting character, but with all her "quirky" lines, and heavy "look at me, I'm unusual and modern" writing for her does grate me very slightly. I'm probably in the minority there, though.

The story has some truly excellent moments, although strangely feels to have a few 'off-key' scenes that might knock this one down slightly. The bulk of it, though, was very good. Steven Moffat is noticeably "upping the game", which I love, and the series feels to be taking a turn and morphing into something more – which has both good and slightly lesser points to it (most positive, though).

I'll dare to say it… In some ways, 'Day of the Moon' does very slightly feel to be an anti-climax after last week's opener (but follow-ups to strong cliff-hangers has always been a challenge to TV, even long before 'Star Trek: The Next Generation's legendary 'The Best of Both Worlds'), but that's not a complaint, as there are so many great things thrown into 'Day of the Moon'. In one way, maybe slightly too much was thrown in, but I just love the whole scope. Some have also commented that it didn't fully wrap up everything and give all the answers… surely this is Moffat's intention, and elements of this story will span much further into the series (The young girl who can now reincarnate herself will surely feature heavily). And whatever the outcome of this story, with its both very good and slightly weaker points, one can't help but admire the whole feel of quality that Moffat has injected into the franchise.

All-in-all… although not quite the perfect conclusion, a very strong episode in itself. I give 'Day of the Moon' a very decent 9/10.
  • Good episode but rather confusing and leaving a lot of things out, like what the silence have to do with the cracks in the universe (hopefully finding out later?)

Good episode but rather confusing and leaving a lot of things out, like what the silence have to do with the cracks in the universe (hopefully finding out later?) Lot of interesting tidbits in this episode, for instance the Doctor is the alien (or one of them) held prisoner at area 51 (:D), Canton Everett Delaware is gay (and not a racist as his partner is black) and omg Doctor River kiss finally! Bit confused at the end, thats I'm assuming the kid in the space suit who we are led to believe is Amy's daughter, but then she's a timelord? Regeneration? What?!? Hopefully future episodes will clear this all up but right now there are a lot of untied strings.
  • Strong start, less Grange Hill more grown up, cool looking aliens and enough maniacal energy to keep interested till next week.

The opening two-parter of Season 6 is both interesting and confusing and not in the usual Whoisms that defy truisms. The gang find themselves dealing with a species called The Silence that have been manipulating humans since humans began. Humans however are unaware of this due to the fact that once they stop seeing them, all memory of The Silence is gone. Add the weaving story lines of a mystery girl in space suit, maybe Amy baby, and River Song going the wrong way in a strong way to the Doctor's twin hearts and well…an enigma in a question in a puzzle. Part 1 - The Impossible Astronaut, was like an episode of Twin Peaks trapped in a time warp. Part II - Day Of The Moon, was like a warped peak twinned in a trapped time. Make sense? Tell me about it. Either way both episodes were a good start to season six. Humour, some sharp writing and enough little mushy moments to give you a sense of feeling about all the characters. However there were a couple of major anomalies that appear to have crept in as writer Steven Moffat goes hell-for-leather to fire up the new season, anomalies that throw the very foundation of the Doctor in a new light..

We learn that The Silence are responsible for shaping the history of the human race since "wheels and fire". We know that the Doctor is against human violence and it's a big no no to mess with the timeline [universes tend to go bang]. However in Part II the Doctor uses violence to execute the entire race of The Silence thereby destroying the very thing that makes humans what they are and ultimately changing the course of human development forever. No explanation is given as to why the Doctor deems it necessary to destroy an alien species that has throughout time shaped humans when the Doctor is in fact an alien that throughout time has intervened with humans. By removing The Silence the doctor affects the timeline and erases the biggest influence on the entire human race. Why? Are The Silence even alien or a necessary part of being human? It's a weird one and up this point makes the Doctor out to be a duplicitous dictator with a moral base that is smaller on the inside than it is on the outside.
    Apart from that, strong start, less Grange Hill more grown up, cool looking aliens and enough maniacal energy to keep interested till next week.
  • In the words of the Tenth Doctor- "What? What? What!?"

Uh... Well, the Doctor put in motion a plan to defeat the Silence, but we really don't know what happened directly after the end of the previous episode. This causes a bit of confusion with the audience, which I vouch for as I really can't figure out the exact sequence of events that followed.

What happens when the investigate the little girl? The Silence capture Amy and the Doctor tricks them into giving a command that will enable humanity to begin their revoution against them. River lets the Doctor know a bit more about her in the episode, but it ends humourously for the Doctor as he receives his first kiss form River, but River recieves her last kiss from the Doctor.

Oh, the eye-patch woman makes her first cameo, but her real name and intentions are revealed in episode seven this season, so you'll have to wait a bit longer loyal viewers of the show.