Doctor Who

Day Of The Moon (2)

Aired Saturday 8:00 PM Apr 30, 2011 on BBC America

• Wow. That was very good.

As in all-time best of good. As in instant classic good.

The supporting cast clicked together for the first time, the time travel stuff was clever for a change, the ending was mind-blowing and set up the rest of the season nicely, the scary bits were scary (as in *really* scary, by the way) and the fun bits were fun.

It's... yeah. No complaints. Which feels weird, because I'm very good at complaining, especially about Doctor Who. So...

...yep. I'm not sure about what to do with the rest of the review. Maaaaybe, grasping at straws, this is still very much set up mode for what's upcoming, so if they payoff isn't great, which happened last season a lot, maybe that'll sour the experience of this two parter.

But for what it is, in isolation, this was incredibly well made. Even the throwaway bits were clever. The TARDIS landing on the side of a wall to catch River not just catching River but making her land in the pool with a squirt of water coming out the door? Brilliant. A two second gag and it was better visual comedy than most comedies can put together.

And the ending. Man, that was cool. And the Deus ex Machina was also inventive and fun and it made sense and...

Yeah, you know what? I may not have forgiven Moffat for his timey wimey first season... yet. But this Who is now worth watching for fans and non fans alike. I'm back on board in full.

Also, pirates.