Doctor Who

Doomsday (2)

Aired Saturday 8:00 PM Jul 08, 2006 on BBC America

• "What? What?! WHAT?!?!"

That was not at all what I was expecting, so different from the happy ending from the 1st season. This one literally broke my heart, mainly because I had hope to the very end. I just... I just can't.

Well I guess this is what makes a phenomenal tv show. Emotions are good! Very good!
  • It broke my heart

I cried my heart out until there were no more tears. Why is it so cruel?
  • Doomsday

Doomsday was a very awesome and entertaining episode of Doctor Who. I really enjoyed watching because the Daleks and Cybermen went to war with each other with Earth caught in the middle. It was awesome to see each side demonstrate their power. It was intriguing to see how The Doctor and Rose saved the Universe. I was sad to see what happened to Rose but I'm thankful that there was such a great send off.This is definitely one of my favorite episodes. There were a few touching scenes near the end which was spectacular. The adventure continues and I look forward to watching the next season!!!!!!!!!
  • " Liters of tears... "

I like the story but I cried in the ending, sometimes I open YouTube, search for doctor who and see Rose and the doctor, I feel like crying again, I download all the movies with Rose, I search all information until I found an episode called " Turn left " and " the stolen earth " and I see there's Rose Tyler, I'm really happy ! for many weeks I dreamed about Doctor who, but so sad she's only playing for 2 episodes, and I had see all of the episodes but I think the best is the 10th doctor and Rose Tyler, I also like Donna Noble but not the others, I feel so sorry for Rose Tyler, now I'm a fan of David Tennant and Billie piper.
  • My favorite episode even though newer series have emerged.

With the ghosts from Part one finally exposed to being a huge army of Cybermen and with the void ship opened to reveal the ever dreaded Daleks this episode has a lot going for it and it delivers. The cybermen have two immediate objectives (to upgrade humanity and to secure the 'void ship') while the Daleks seek to find out what these ghosts are and more importantly to activate the 'Genesis Ark'. The Doctor and Jackie are stuck with the robotic and numerous Cybermen while Rose and Mickey are stuck with the ingenious Daleks. What more or less happens is that the Cybermen and Daleks go to war because the Daleks class themselves superior and Humanity is stuck right in the center of it.

The acting in this episode as always is spot on and the story line moves fast and at a fitting pace. Surprisingly there is also enough space for humor in this episode as the discussions between the Cybermen and Daleks reveals. The Genesis Ark is also spectacular when its purpose is revealed and I really did get a chill down the back to witness the return of the black colored Dalek.

This episode simply blew me away on every level and ends much more emotional than you may imagine with a inter-robot war engaging and a very touching ending. Even today after Martha, Donna and Amy this episode stands out as a great achievement and its simply superb when so many elements come together so perfectly especially in Doctor Who and so well deserves a full 10.

• This is the story of how Rose died...

The good thing is that this quote isn't meant literally, but metaphorically. After two years with Rose and her adventures with both Doctors we were really sad to see her leave the show. I was very attached to her character, but in the end it was probably necessary from the storytelling point-of-view. Otherwise they might get stuck.
    What made this episode genius was not just the combination of all the guest actors related to Rose, but also the attack of two nemeses at a time. The Cybermen, who came through a gap between dimensions to conquer the earth and the Daleks, the ultimate Evil that has survived inside a Genesis Ark based on Time Lord Science. The final battle is fought inside Torchwood Tower and we got clues throughout the series that we would end up at this institute at the end. There, Rose makes the decision to stay with the Doctor forever and she also accepts the fact that she probably will never see her family again. That moment really shows the special relationship between those two. And it is even more heartbreaking to watch them get torn apart. The way Billie Piper and David Tennant play the last scenes of Series two was really intense and emotional and that single tear on the Doctor's cheek after he saw Rose for the last time and didn't have enough time left to tell her what he feels was actually the saddest moment in the whole episode. It is very hard to see the Doctor so vulnerable, because, usually he is the one to save the day with a big smile!
    But at the same time the lovely Catherine Tate arrives in the TARDIS. So we can be hopeful for great things to come!
  • A great return to form after the previous two eps. An emotional rollercoaster. *spoilers*

oh..my god.I did not see that coming.Honestly, I thought this episode would end with Rose and the Doctor saving the day, and moving on to more adventures together. Obviously I was mistaken (and stubborn too lol.Rose alr said she was going to tell the story of how she died but I didn't believe her due to past experiences with this show)

So many touching moments...
    The Doctor yelling "NOOOOOOOO" as Rose was sucked into the void The two of them separated That scene at the beach. The doctor's image appearing and telling Rose the gap was going to close. "I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye" The Doctor crying. All alone again.(I don't usually cry over tv shows but this was an exception.i couldn't control myself anymore.I cried with him)

A very moving episode. You really get to see how much The two mean to each other.

This episode is a worthy opponent to "The parting of ways"(which I considered, before this, my favourite episode i still miss nine..sigh) However, I was a little upset about how Pete suddenly appeared to grab Rose.why wasn't he sucked in also?how did he know when to pop up and save her? I kinda forgave the writers for this after the final scene though.

Man..its not going to be the same without Rose anymore.
  • Thank goodness this episode was made.

If this episode was any worse than it was, it would have made the series the worst ever. The previous three episodes were abysmal, Doomsday saved the season and made people laugh, cry and hold their breath at the same time.

We say goodbye to Rose as she 'dies' and is put into a parallel world with Jackie, Mickey and Pete. The Daleks and Cybermen return and start a war with the human race in the middle of it. Tracey-Ann Oberman makes a special perfomence as Yvonne Hartman who eventually gets killed.

All in all a great episode and with Catherine Tate at the end it made us dying to see the Christmas episode.
  • Goodbye Written by Russell T Davies Directed by Graeme Harper

Dalek: “Daleks have no sense of elegance”
    Cyberman: “This is obvious”.

Hmm, you wait forty years (well, not myself – I’m only 21) for the meeting of two dangerous and destructive forces such as the Daleks and the Cybermen and when they do finally interact with each other, you as an audience expect and even want the bloodshed to come. I mean – they are the two deadliest Doctor Who villains in the series, both new and old. For their meet up to have little effect or body count is inconceivable.

What is conceivable though is for both of them to differ on opinion. They both may be dangerous but their attitudes on human life are too different to compromise on. While the Cybermen are happy to upgrade their victims, the Daleks only see fit to kill them. In a sense, this retains the Daleks impact on Doctor Who. The Cybermen are going to have to settle with being number two.

Those of you hoping for an alliance between both species, forget it. The Black Dalek more than tells the lead Cyberman where to shove the idea of a team up. Both of our baddies are powerful but the Daleks are far less prepared to share than the Cybermen. Selfish little blighters when you think about it and I did. Does that make me sad? Not in a million years. I only switch off my brain when watching reality TV. Anything else, it’s alive and thinking.

I guess I could split the carnage between the Daleks and the Cybermen up into categories and then merge the storyline, so I’ll do that. Who should I talk about first? Might as well be the Cybermen. After all, the started this entire fiasco in their bid to escape and we’re given a dollop more information about them too in between “The Age Of Steel” and “Army Of Ghosts”.

As of now, the Cybermen are content with holding London to a standstill and with five million of the lot roaming the streets, breaking into houses to convert the people that through the media they have told point blank that will be deprived of sex and other human desires, the odds are stacked against The Doctor.

As a matter of interest, who the hell is the leader of the Cybermen? Which person did he/she used to be? I got the impression it might have been John Lumic because the lead Cyberman had taunted The Doctor about his emotions being a crutch but seeing as Roger Lloyd Pack was uncredited and if memory serves correctly, Lumic looked paler compared to the other Cybermen, I’m stumped. Going back to another point – the odd are stacked against The Doctor? Who can help him?

Well not Rose and certainly not Ghostbusters, as logically enough, Jake and some of the reformed Preachers come through to this world and take The Doctor with them. I know The Doctor doesn’t like being told what to do (like anyone on Lost nowadays) but it was a little Pete Tyler telling him to be quiet. Well you have admit, virtually anyone from our previous Cybermen adventure could’ve came through and Pete’s endeared himself enough in my eyes to delight in his reappearance. It also helps that we’re provided with some more information about what happened last time we saw him too.

So since “The Age Of Steel”, Pete banded with Mickey and Jake to defeat the Cybermen and stop their spread but instead of killing them, which might have been the sensible thing to do, people from the parallel earth had debated long enough about to do with them, it’s no wonder the Cybermen got crafty enough to escape. You people should’ve just delighted them when you had the chance. Now they are in our world and killing anything in sight.

Of course, we’re also then warned of the consequences of the constant jumping back and forth between worlds as The Doctor tells both Jake and Pete that it’s causing the world to boil and rip. Given that the same thing was practically said last week as well when Yvonne and The Doctor argued over using the void at certain hours, this is hardly shock of the week material. Still important to know as it plays its part in the later stages of this story arc.

As for Yvonne, well as much as I enjoyed Tracy Ann Oberman, I think we all knew that she was going to be fodder to the carnage. Being a Torchwood employee in this world really did mean danger but at least Yvonne went out interestingly. She wasn’t just killed people, the Cybermen upgraded her (it was also interesting that it was her who told Jackie what “upgrade” meant in Cyberman speak). But the strange thing is that she as a Cyberman ended killing a few of her new kind. She even exhibited emotions too but given the ongoing battle, maybe she had only been semi-upgraded. It was a terrific sight to behold though. It also gave Jackie the chance to run for her life.

Although I loved the Cybermen bits, the more interesting interaction were with Rose and the Daleks. Reunions between enemies are grand and all but this one had quite a powerful bite to it. Last year, Rose got to be all smug because The Doctor was within reach of her in “Dalek” and “Bad Wolf”/“The Parting Of The Ways” but she didn’t have that luxury now, even if they were in the same building.

It still didn’t stop her though. When faced with an enemy as deadly as a Dalek, Rose’s reaction should’ve been fear. She was surrounded by four of them and in an old fashioned round of fisticuffs, I don’t think Rajesh would get very far. Even Mickey could have problems, given his lack of experience with the Daleks. Rose tossed her fear in use of a better emotion – righteousness and it worked. I was amazed with how vehemently she told the Black Dalek that she reduced the Dalek Emperor to dust, I even thought that she was a dead woman within this moment but whenever Rose has been around a Dalek, she has had a use for them. This time was no different.

Rajesh may have offered his life and knowledge of corrupt history (again, Torchwood employee becoming expendable), so his demise was expected. I found it impressive that Mickey had been kept alive too but delighted as I still love this character. In use of great twists everyone, the consequences of Rose’s DNA mix-up from “Dalek” meant that any time traveller could touch the mysterious Genesis Ark. I don’t remember seeing that last week and it’s not a Torchwood invention. In fact it’s not even a Dalek property and they desperately want it open, even if the Time Lords are responsible for it.

I was wondering during Rose’s understandable refusal to touch the Genesis Ark was she willing to sacrifice Mickey’s life as a result. The Daleks aren’t shy of killing to motivate and they would’ve done Mickey in without a care for Rose’s feelings. I got the impression Rose momentarily considered it but like The Doctor, she won’t sacrifice a life unless there was no other way. Thankfully for us, there was!

Although this episode was brilliant from start to finish and as much I liked the Daleks and Cybermen behaving like spoiled delinquents with them insulting each other when they weren’t bumping each other and when the Cybermen weren’t trying to regain control of Torchwood and London in the process, it’s just something better was around the corner than this battle of control.

That something was the meeting of Jackie and Pete Tyler. Yes, I know it came around a little too soap opera like but I couldn’t help but enjoy it nonetheless. For Jackie, Pete’s been dead for over twenty years and in Pete’s mind he lost his wife to the Cybermen but our “Jackie” and parallel “Pete” were fantastic. Camille Coduri and Shaun Dingwall are such good actors and they really showed their strengths as performers here with both Jackie and Pete trying to deny each other but failing miserably.

And Pete really did try to deny Rose and Jackie. Even before meeting up with them again. He used the logic of Jackie being “dead” and Rose “not his child” in order to get that point across but in the end when the Genesis Ark (thanks to Mickey – maybe a little of the idiot remains) opened to reveal millions of Daleks and The Doctor and company were forced to concede the best option would be to take everyone else into the parallel earth as The Doctor opened the void and sent both Daleks and Cybermen into hell, Pete changed his mind. Rose and Jackie really did matter to him. To state the obvious, Pete could’ve seen this as a second chance to do right and not financially.

But Rose is a stubborn girl and given the option between The Doctor and the life of danger an excitement and a life with both parents and ex-boyfriend in another, possibly more safer universe once the Cybermen and Daleks were defeated, Rose still chose The Doctor. Rose couldn’t have put it better when she told The Doctor that she chose him over everyone else a long time ago. In a way, isn’t that what this season has been about as a whole? Not just The Doctor and Rose protecting people but them as soul mates in a way unseen before with Doctor/Assistants in previous years.

Rose stayed behind to help The Doctor as Jackie resented Pete and even Mickey for dragging her into a world with her daughter. Again this shows the strength of the writing and the acting on this series. The Doctor and Rose pushed the lever and the Daleks and the Cybermen while attacking each other became powerless. They had no control over their defeat, they didn’t even see it coming and it made for a stunning moment as both races got sucked into the hell while The Doctor and Rose struggled to hold on.

I knew Rose’s departure was coming. I expected her to die in battle and to be devastated by it but thirty nine minutes into this episode and with Rose not being “deleted” or “exterminated”, I then thought “oh crap, she’s going to hell”. It would’ve been also appropriate given that Satan had told her she would die in battle but Rose lives. The kick in the backside is that it’s not with The Doctor.

Managing to escape death, the one thing Rose couldn’t escape from was parental love as Pete took one final time hop in order to grab his daughter and although I understood Pete’s motivations, like many viewers I imagine it made for a heartbreaking television moment. The greatest 21st Century team up on TV taken away from us. It also proves that you don’t have to kill off a character in order to make a TV departure feel like a real life one.

Proving that as actors, they are a deserving BAFTA winning lot both Billie Piper and David Tennant were phenomenal in how they portrayed The Doctor and Rose’s separation. They touched the walls on their opposite worlds like lovers and although Rose had an advantage that The Doctor didn’t – a family and ex-lover who care for her, her loss of The Doctor wasn’t underplayed.

In the parallel earth, she had gotten a three months pregnant Jackie, Pete and Mickey to help her look for The Doctor and a dangerous holograph gave the two a chance to say their goodbyes, which Rose was in Norway. I couldn’t actually contain myself when I started crying during those scenes. This was actually some of the most heartbreaking piece of television up, that it’s now wonder people draw comparisons to Buffy with Doctor Who. Russell is dangerously becoming as masterful as Joss Whedon and unlike J.J. Abrams at least he doesn’t need to kill a regular off in order to ram home the drama.

The fade out of the holographic Doctor as Rose muses on how she “died” (translation – just that element of her life that played such a role for two years) didn’t help to calm me either. That single shed of tears from The Doctor was beautiful but the finale ended on the strange with a mysterious bride appearing inside the TARDIS. A mysterious bride also played by Catherine Tate. What the hell?

Also in “Doomsday”

Instead of a real “Previously On” as such, Rose kind of reiterated her “dying” speech. I already bloody miss her.

Rose (re Rajesh): “You didn’t need to kill him”
    Dalek: “We didn’t need him alive either”.

Cyberman (re being better): “What’s that?”
    Dalek: “You are better at dying”.

Wasn’t it a bit risky of The Doctor to call? How many hostage situations has this guy been in already?

Rose (to a Dalek): “Five million Cybermen – easy. One Doctor, now you’re scared”.

Pete (re Rose): “She’s not mine. She’s the child of a dead man”.

Did anyone notice that Cyber Yvonne not only had her original voice but she was actually crying when she shot those other Cybermen. It was very effective.

Pete (re Jackie): “My wife died”
    The Doctor: “Her husband died, good match”.

The Doctor (to the Daleks): “From birth to death, locked inside a metal cage”.

The four Daleks here were named Fey, Just, Sek and Con. They didn’t come from the Daleks we saw in “The Parting Of The Ways”. Logically this makes sense as even Captain Jack didn’t come through to this time, sadly.

Jackie: “I don’t care about that. How rich?”
    Pete: “Very”.

Jackie: “That’s twenty five floors up, I’ve tried them all”
    Jake: “We could try the lift”.

What happened to Jake in this episode? As far as I could tell, he didn’t get sucked into hell, return to the alternate Earth or even die. I wouldn’t mind seeing him again.

Jake (to The Doctor): “You’re sending the Daleks and Cybermen to hell?”
    Mickey: “Told you he was good”.

The Doctor (re Jackie): “You may never see her again, your own mother”
    Rose: “I made my choice a long time ago and I’m never gonna leave you”.

The 3D glasses revealed void stuff on everyone except Jackie and The Doctor wasn’t happy when he learned that Harriet Jones was President in Pete’s world. Oh and Rose was located in a place which translated into “Bad Wolf Bay”.

Rose: “Here I am at last and here is how I died”.

The Doctor was able to call Rose in her dreams. Is this similar to how he had communicated with Madame Du Pompadour as well?

The Doctor (to Rose): “Here you are, living a life day after day. An adventure I can’t have”.

Rose: “When I am gonna see you again?”
    The Doctor: “You can’t”.

Standout music: Murray Gold excelled himself with that heart pounding and beautiful score as The Doctor and Rose were taken away from one another.

“Doomsday” certainly lived up to its promise. I don’t think I’ve seen anything so heartbreaking and brilliant this year and this excelled on every single level. I’m gonna miss Billie Piper and her performance here was heartbreakingly brilliant, you would have to be an incredibly soulless individual not to be moved by it. I look forward to Torchwood’s first season, the second Christmas special “The Runaway Bride” and to Season Three of Doctor Who with a mixture of anticipation and dread. Who could’ve ever thought a dodgy former pop singer could ever be so good? Billie is certainly going to be one hard act to follow.

• When Two Tribes Go To War... (Spoilers!)

All hell is- almost literally- let loose in ‘Doomsday’. The Doctor must battle his two deadliest nemeses as each plans domination over the world. The Cybermen plan their mass upgrade of humanity, whilst the Daleks seek to protect and open the Genesis Ark causing an en-masse Dalek invasion. A visit from the parallel world that the Cybermen took over gives the Doctor an idea on how to beat these foes… but it means having to say goodbye to Rose forever.

It’s taken me a few days to corral my thoughts together about this episode. It’s difficult to pinpoint exactly what I feel about it. Absolutely exhilarated, a bit confused, quite emotional, a little let down… all these and more. In some ways, I feel that the episode has been a bit of a wasted opportunity as there was so much more that could have been done with it. For instance, I’d liked to have seen a little more from the Daleks. There were intriguing little hints about things like the Cult of Skaro (which sounds cool) and I liked the idea of the Genesis Ark, but it was all done in shorthand. (I suppose given the fact of only having forty-five minutes, a lot of exposition may have been seen as unnecessary). Plus… and I know this might be a little unpopular, but I’d really liked to have seen Rose die. As in literally. Be shot down by one of the Daleks, pulled into the void or even turned into a Cyberman. Any of those options would have been good. Whilst it’s only right that the Doctor should have to sacrifice the person he cares for to save the world (in the best traditions of TV heroes), Rose’s death would have had a lot of impact- not that the chosen ending didn’t, by the way. I was crying like a three-year old. And I don’t mind admitting it.

We could deal with ‘should haves’ and ‘could haves’ till the cows come home, but the actual episode as broadcast is what is up for review. By and large, I loved it. I thought there were a few moments that let it down and which stop it being perfect in my eyes but for the most part it was excellent. I absolutely loved the general antagonism between the Daleks and the Cybermen. There was some great writing in their little dialogues, some of the best in the series. And who’d have guessed in a smackdown between a Dalek and a Cyberman that the metal pepper-pot would walk it? The scene between Yvonne and Jackie as they wait to be upgraded was also particularly good; Tracy-Ann Oberman really impressed me as Yvonne went to her death steadfastly maintaining that she did her duty for Queen and Country (and a nice little moment toward the end when Cyber-Yvonne stops the approaching Cybermen on the stairs with the same line). Good too was the reappearance of Jake and Pete from the parallel world. Both Shaun Dingwall and Andrew Hayden-Smith impressed me in the Cybermen episodes and it was good to see them back. Mind you, looking at Andrew Hayden-Smith is hardly a chore if you ask me.

The reunion between Jackie and Parallel Pete was nice but perhaps a little too sentimental and quite at odds with the high-energy action that has gone before it. Perhaps the change of pace was a little too jarring? (I have a similar point to make regarding the end, too). The action sequences were very good and adeptly directed by Dr Who veteran Graeme Harper. There was some good use of CGI as well with the Genesis Ark opening and thousands of Daleks pouring out over London, and at the end when the breach opens and the Daleks and Cybermen go flying into the void. (A slight nit-pick; if the power of the breach opening was so powerful that it could rip the Cybermen from outside the Taj Mahal which is one hell of a long way from Canary Wharf, would the Doctor and Rose have stood a chance even with the magnetic clamp things? But I am aware it’s science fiction. Emphasis on the fiction). And at least they finally explained why the Doctor was carrying those cheap-looking 3D specs around: it’s to see the background radiation.

But of course, the acting honours must go to both David Tennant and Billie Piper. Throughout the series they have been excellent. Here they are perfect. One particular standout moment is Rose’s little stand against the Daleks. She won’t take any messing from them. She destroyed the Emperor, after all. The real depth of feeling between these two characters is absolutely palpable. When Rose jumps back from the parallel world and tells the Doctor she made her decision and she wasn’t going to leave him, I got a lump in my throat. From a lump to tears as Rose almost gets pulled through the breach but is saved by Parallel Pete at the end. And the tears didn’t stop as Rose and the Doctor say goodbye at Bad Wolf Bay in Norway. The writing was never too over-the-top and the performances were the same. The tears down David Tennant’s face really said it all. And how else would you feel being robbed of the only opportunity you’ve got to tell someone exactly what you feel for them? Spot on.

But it’s not like the Doctor has to get used to being on his own for too long. He’s already got another companion in the TARDIS. A lady in a bridal dress, and someone who’s not looking too pleased to be there… the introduction of comedienne Catherine Tate as the Runaway Bride is another moment when I feel the change of pace might be too jarring. In one way, it’s quite nice to have something to bait us with (and to get us watching at Christmas: as if I need an excuse!). Yet in another, perhaps it breaks the mood of Rose’s departure too quickly? Nonetheless, it’ll be good to see Catherine Tate in it– I like her and I find her funny.

As an ending to the second series- and as a final episode for Billie Piper- ‘Doomsday’ fits the bill nicely. It’s got action, it’s got emotion and it’s got a few laughs. This second series has really capitalized on the success of the first series and brought it on even further. David Tennant has made the Doctor his own and there has been some absolutely high-class writing, directing and guest performances throughout this series. And with newcomer Freema Agyeman preparing to join the Doctor in the TARDIS for series three as new companion Martha Jones, it looks like it’s going from strength to strength. Now then… only 167 days or so til the Christmas special… can’t wait!
  • "Very Special" isn't adequate to express my feelings. This sets the series apart from anything on the US tube.

I started watching Dr Who only with the last two years' episodes but it's clearly a masterpiece of the small screen. Most Yanks don't realize the difference between US commercial TV and the BBC model. To summarize, the BBC doesn't have the budget to produce ultra-slick series competing with each other 5 nights per week. Usually there are a few select series that rarely have more than 10 episodes per year (but this is changing) with the bulk of the energy put into the quality of the story. The BBC takes chances with programming that the US would never attempt on network TV. Do you know how you can usually guess what's going to happen next on US TV? It has to be that way or the audience will tune out. Not the BBC. And not Dr Who. I think I've never been left as moved and shocked and empty with any American show as I felt with the Season Two Finale. In the US, you always know you can count on certain things: At the end of the episode everything will be back to normal (with the exception of 24), & there are certain no-nos (language, nudity, nothing too scary for kids). Watch this show and give your brain a chance to open up and let your heart flow in and start laughing.
  • not the ending i was hoping for

what can i say cybermen versus the darleks it should have been the best episode of all time but it wasn't. its a shame Mickey couldn't have stayed with the doctor but i suppose he had to go back but it did solve how he acually got this universe. I think it was great how Pete Tyler came throught and met with Jackie. but still in te end t least one Darlek and all the people converted to cybermen in this dimension survived so they may be on again.

now the ending i wasn't sure whether i was watching Doctor Who or a Mills & Boon novel and man was I dissapointed when rose didn't die I suppose since it is for kids they cannot have somthing like that.

Anyway can't wait for the next season
  • Predictable, but action-packed!

When Rose states that she "died" at the very beginning of this episode, it was clear to me that she was referring to her soul in anguish, so I wasn't surprised at the end of the episode, when she said her tearful goodbye to the Doctor.

After that, even millions of Cybermen and Daleks somehow seemed blase, if not passe!

There was just too much going on the episode: Torchwood taking the Doctor prisoner (yet giving him free rein); alternate dimensions which can be traversed, but not really (I didn't understand it either!); robots even bothering with our pitiful planet (yeah, I know that that's the whole point of the series!); the "alternate" Pete joining with "our" Jackie; the "alternate" Torchwood's dimension-traversing devices (see what I mean by not understanding how you can traverse dimensions despite the Doctor saying you can't?); Jackie somehow escapes the fate of becoming a Cyberperson (let's be PC, people!) even though she went through before the Torchwood Director, who ended-up being sliced-and-diced, but, who, of course, miraculously manages to hold onto her humanity long enough as a Cyberperson to detain her tormentors; ample cleavage all around (is it my imagination, or is the series that desperate to get the attention of little boys?).

Sorry, but I have a splitting headache!

The show could have ended neatly and simply with Rose forever separated from the Doctor, both sensing the other through the dimensional walls (given everything the Doctor said, how would that even be possible? Love may conquer all, but not dimensions!), but, no, they had to have a sappy ending, where the Doctor can't even bring himself to say those three magic words that Rose longs to hear: "I'll regenerate soon" (okay, so it's really four words, and it's not what she wanted to hear, but maybe a little humor would have helped the show; the "Ghostbusters" allusion was, at best, trite), but they couldn't even stop there, as the show ends with a bride having mysteriously appeared in the sealed TARDIS! (did you notice how this was one, big run-on sentence? that's what I thought of the whole show!)

I've been a fan of the series for many, many years. I've seen good shows and bad ones. By no stretch is this the best or the worst, but, it didn't do much for me! If it weren't for the action sequences, and the gratuitous (or wishful!) jiggling (you know what I mean!), I probably would have turned it off in mid-show.
  • An amazing series finale, but unfortuantly Rose leaves in this episode. :(

I was absolutely amazed by the episode due to the great plot involving both the Daleks and the Cybermen. They argue, and fight in this one and the Daleks are much stronger than them. But of course, someone has to stop it. Who? The Doctor and Rose Tyler!. Unfortuantly, the only way of stopping it is by sending Rose and her family to a parallel universe. Then releasing a portal to remove both the Daleks and the Cybermen. She refuses and wants to be with the Doctor forever. So they both decide to open the portal, but unfortuantly Rose can't hold on and just as she is slipping away the Doctor screams "NOOOOOOOO!" but then is saved at the very last second by someone important (no spoilers).

Because of this, both Rose and the Doctor are parted away forever. As the Doctor makes his final goodbyes to Rose on a beach. She tells him she always wanted to be with him. She cries and the Doctor walks away silently (Tearjerker!). As soon as the Doctor returns to the TARDIS, a mysterious person is on board. Who is it? Is the Doctor not all alone?

This really is an emotional episode and why did Rose have to leave so early? Oh well I guess people have to move on I suppose. I'd say this is probably the greatest Doctor Who episode because it has everything. Emotion, Death, Action, Daleks, Cybermen, and an excellent script. All make up for a superb and fantastic episode.
  • Dr Who isnt supposed to make me cry!!

I only saw this episode last night and well, I have to say Billie Piper's acting was top notch! There was genuine emotion for both the Dr and Rose in this episode.

There was some titillation with Rose saying "There are five of us now, Mum, Dad, Mickey me and the baby" and then the Dr saying "Are you..." - made me wonder if their relationship had developed.

TBH I think it is going to be hard for someone to come in and replace Rose now and I am interested to see how the Dr allows himself to have a relationship with someone new.
  • A brilliant finale!!

This a fantastic episode of doctor who. It is an episode that will definetly have you crying throught out. After all the news in the newspapers and tv programmes that Rose is leaving it gives her an amazing send off. Even thought throught out the episode you are wondering when she is going to die or leave the doctor you are never expecting what happens. If I now watch this particular epsiode I still cry now. All I can say is that this epsidoe is a prime example why I watch Doctor who. One last thing David Tennant and Billie Piper acted fantasticly all the way throught and especially in the last 10 minutes when the Doctor and Rose are saying there good byes.
  • A great finale and we say goodbye to Rose

I knew when this episode started that Rose was leaving, but that in no way overshadowed what was a great episode. The battle between the Daleks and the Cybermen and Torchwood was great and had me hooked and wanting more. When it looked like Rose was going to get sucked into the void I was literally on the edge on my seat and I was relieved when Pete saved her. The scenes after that were great and so emotional, especially when Rose is screaming “Take me back!” The wall scene, with Rose and the Doctor on different sides and in different worlds was so well done that I cried a little bit because it made me so sad. And the final scene on the beach was good and I really wanted the Doctor to get to say ‘I love you too’, but I guess there can never really be any happy endings (mostly because Rose is gone). Overall, I think it’s one of the best Doctor Who episodes that I’ve ever seen.
  • What an episode was this. I can't even begin to explain how brilliant it is. Doomsday is the reason I am a fan, and nothing since has come even close.

Russell T Davies. He does like to mess with your mind, doesn't he? And until the very last moment on that beach, he keeps you guessing as to what is meant by Rose's ominous prologue to this jaw-droppingly brilliant two-parter; "this is the story of how I died." Many fans would have thought that the climactic battle between the Daleks and the Cybermen was to be the heart of the story, and maybe Rose would be killed by a passing pepperpot in a poignant but simple moment, yet this was not to be. Thankfully. The Cybermen v Daleks battle sometimes seem like padding, and isn't the thing this story is always going to be remembered for. For the last fifteen minutes or so, we are treated to the most emotional, heart-felt and pretty damn brilliant sequence in the whole history of the show since it began, way back in 1963. You've got to hand it to David Tennant and Billie Piper - it's no surprise the beach scene was voted TV Moment of the Year by the Radio Times. My only criticism would be that, though beautifully heartbreaking, the ending is too bleak. Rose is reunited with her family, but can never again have the one thing she truly desires - life with the Doctor.

Did I say never? Never say never ever. *winks*

Did I say never? Never say never ever. *winks*
  • The Daleks and The Cybermen have just revealed themselves and now its an alien battle on earth. The Cybermen set on claiming this world, and The Daleks set on opening the Genesis Ark. The Doctor manages to send them all back into the void but at a price.

Such an emotional episode and a sad goodbye to Rose. This episode was extremely well done, it was perfect. The actors captured the emotion of their characters perfectly to create such emotional scenes, such as the "wall scene" and the "beach scene". This episode was a great season finale, it kept the viewers on the edge of their seats until the very end.
    The last scene at the beach was very emotional and the actors did a brilliant job. It was so sad how The Doctor fades away just before he could say those three words that mean so much. You have to feel sorry for Rose as she is left standing on the beach with an unfinished sentence.
  • Rose and the Doctor are forced to say goodbye after a titanic battle between the Dalek and Cybermen.

A brilliant episode and my favorite of all time.(And I've seen Series 3 and VOTD) The Dalek and Cyberman smackdown is awesome, the effects are astounding for a tv show, the acting is particularly excellent(Both Billie and David), and the music is heartbreakingly beautiful.(Murrey Gold is a god.)
    Its hard for me to express how much I love this episode. RTD did a fantastic job this time around, this episode is funny, enthralling, sad, and incredibly moving. This is the first episode I watched where I was actually crying harder than the main chracters. I start to cry everytime I see Rose sobbing against the breach and the look of devestation on the Doctor's face. The dream sequence is haunting and beautiful and leads up to the saddest scene in the WORLD: Bad Wolf Bay. I love the realism of the scene. There are so many unbelievable things that have caused this scene to exist, and yet its all about a girl saying goodbye to the the man she loves. I always start to cry (again) at the same moment and thats when Rose asks the Doctor if she'll ever see him again and the he says she cant. The looks on their faces are heartwrenching. And by the point Rose says I love you and they get cut off, I am sobbing. It is by far the most memorable scene of Series 2 and probably one of the most memorable scenes in the history of the show. This episode deadlocked Rose Tyler as my favorite companion. She is so brave and so loyal to the Doctor that she gives up her wish, the thing she wants most(to stay with him forever), in order to save the world. She loved him enough to throw caution to the wind and sacrifice herself to save him. I absolutely believe(and you can debate me on this all you like) that the Doctor loved her too. Although, its not all doom and gloom. This episode also ends with a lovely cliffhanger leading us into the Christams special and introducing us to Donna Noble the Runaway Bride.
    In conclusion, best episode of Who EVER!
  • I actually have two classifications for this episode, painful to watch and tearjerker

Only episode that ever made me cry. I can't stop watching that ending, it was so well done. I just want Rose back as The Doctors companion. She was way better than any of the other companions they've had. The chemistry between the tenth doctor and Rose was what kept me in the series and now that you've gotten rid of her I'm losing interest. I'm not the only person woh thinks this, there are many more who think the same way. Just poke around a little on youtube or fanfiction.net or other Doctor Who fan sites and you'll see what I mean. Rose was the best companion The Doctor has had. She'll be hard to top, Billie was a much better actress than the other two people you've had. Please, please bring Rose back as the series 5 companion! 10/Rose forever
  • Rose is gone forever (sort of)

An exellent episode that see's the dalek's and cybermen battle for the planet definatly the best episode of the new series of doctor who, and what a way to end the second season with Rose and the doctor on the beach saying there goodbyes and Rose final admitting that she loves the doctor, to bad for the doctor not being able to get a chance to say it back, maybe one day he will get a chance to finally say he loves her. With Rose gone he will have to find a new companion maybe it will be the bride who appers at the end of the episode.
  • The Doctor is trapped with the Cybermen, while Rose and Mickey are trapped with the Daleks. While the Daleks and Cybermen fight, the Doctor sorts out a way to defeat both forces. But what price will the Doctor and Rose have to pay?

Almost a tearjerker for the finale, but we'll come to that. At last, the Daleks return again for the finale and we get a first for Doctor Who. The two biggest enemies of the Doctor going head to head for the first time. It was really worth waiting for. It's also good to see Mickey again as his character has matured and isn't the frightened rabbit we saw in Season 1. But as the Doctor's plan comes to fruitition, his price is paid. Rose becomes trapped in the parallel universe, unable to return. There is a pang of sadness that they won't be able to continue together which is deepened when they meet for the last time at Bad Wolf Cove (how ironic is that!). Rose's character has continously developed throughout her time in Doctor Who, but I don't feel there is much left for her to do. Overall, a brilliant episode with a sad ending. So, the Doctor is left alone, again. Or is he? If he is, what on earth is a woman in a wedding dress doing standing there? All to be revealed in the Christmas Special I feel!
  • Who needs tissues? I cried BUCKETS!

Now, I don't watch that much TV *coughliercough* but I have never cried so much at watching something! The emotional scenes were brilliant! It was so sad to see Rose leave but the end shows that the show moves on... and what an end it was!
    The action scenes were amazing with all the cars blowing up and the Daleks flying through London. The acting rocked! The music rocked! The directing rocked! The scenes between the Daleks and Cybermen didn't just rock, they were nail bitting and hillarious altogether!
    Well done to R.T. Davis. Cannot wait for Torchwood to start next month. Atleast there's something for us to watch until The Runaway Bride at Christmas!
    Well Done!
  • One of the most depressing episodes of any show I've ever seen.

The episode was amazing, but I still can't get past the fact that Rose is gone. Rose and The Doctor are such a great couple I couldn’t help but smile to myself whenever I saw them on the screen. Billie brought an amazing attitude into the show. She’s pretty and talented, and I miss her on the show a lot. Doomsday definitely brought me to tears. Somehow I knew inside me that The Doctor can’t have the same companion forever, but there was something special there, between the two of them. The Doctor fell in love. The ending definitely broke my heart. If she had actually died, I would still have been very upset, but an alternate dimension? For me, that seems worse than death. To have both Rose and The Doctor continuing in their lives, still loving each other, but they both know they can never see each other again even if they tried. I’ve watched so many videos made of this episode on youtube, including the ending so many times. The song that reminds me the most of The Doctor’s situation is Famous Last Words by My Chemical Romance. I even found an amazing video for it.

It pains me to watch Doctor Who without thinking of what happened.
  • Great episode, quite sad at the end but im glad rose is gone now and made way for Martha Jones.

Loved this episode, and its first part, it was nice to see all the Tyler family back together again, even-though Rose didnt want it to happen, but at the end of the day, if pete didnt save her then she would have died so, it was for he best i guess! was good to actually see the Doctor getting emotional for a change, even some tears!

I like the Cybermen and Darlek episodes, as i think they make good enemies, specially when they both HATE the Doctor and he is always in the middle! and i also like the way that the Darleks seem to come to life fully, and there hate seems to boil inside them when they hear the Doctors name or see him!

Gonna watch season 3 now! =)
  • Emotional episode with a kind of happy ending

It was an interesting episode, with mixed emotions through out. It was sad to see Billie Piper leave but life must go on, and will be great having a new assistant - whom seems to be quite good herself. I cried to say the least but, was pleased she ended up with her family, including her father, making it a sad/happy ending. Although it will be different without her on the show. The ending of the episode was amusing, with the bride suddenly on board the tardis, making weird comments. It made me want to watch the next episode and find out what happened.
  • Everything Changes and one last good bye for Rose its been a jorney.The Great Battle Of Canary Wharf.

Everything Changes and one last good bye for Rose its been a jorney.This episode is very emotinal and has made thousands upon thousands of fans cry.It shows the very emotional side of the Doctor.But first the battle of Canary Warf is decided.The Dalecks v The Cybermen v The Human Race.One of the best Doctor Who episodes whithout a dought.The Doctor's old enemies always come back at him no matter how many times he gets rid of them,the Dalecks were last seen In The Parting Of The Ways,but they are back with a bang,so are the Cybermen.But at the end of the day Humanity is stuck in the middle of this conlict,and the doctor wins in the end as the Dalecks and Cybermen are sent to hell.But its not the end of the Doctors enemies,they will be back(e.g Daleck Seck).But Rose says her good bye's and she will be very much missed and not to be forgotten.
  • The Doctor, Rose, Mickey, Pete, Jackie and Jake battle the evil Cybermen and Daleks in the series finale as a war rages on the Earth and the Doctor realises that defeating the Cybermen and Daleks could mean destruction - could it mean the death of Rose?

SPOILERS!!!

Doomsday is a particular tearjerker for me because it was tragic to see The Doctor and Rose seperated into different worlds after they managed to defeat the Daleks and Cybermen. I weeped when the Doctor's connection broke and left Rose sobbing alone. Absolutely tragic. She is a fantastic actress and hopefully she will reunite with David Tennant for a movie! And what a surprise it was to see a bride standing before the Doctor in the TARDIS -comedienne Catherine Tate!!!
< 1 2 3