Doctor Who

Evolution of the Daleks (2)

Aired Saturday 8:00 PM Apr 28, 2007 on BBC America

• The worst Dalek episode in the show's long history, and by far the worst two episodes of the new series.

What a waste. I was hoping that maybe (somehow) ‘Evolution’ would pull together some of the half-assed ideas presented in ‘Daleks in Manhattan.’ Nope. Everyone, including the Daleks, seem like they’re just going through the motions. The pig men are a just plain silly idea done poorly. They aren’t scary or pathetic, just laughable. We already had a pig-man in the 1st season too, remember???? The guy turned into a half pig man is even more ludicrous and embarrassing. The New York accents are pathetic. The human-Dalek was a horrible idea with horrible execution and horrible acting. The science is bad even by Doctor Who standards. I’m really sick of the psychic paper as a plot crutch.. And oh wow, a Dalek escapes in the same way a Dalek escaped at the end of the last Dalek two-parter… didn’t see that coming! Really lazy writing. No sense of menace whatsoever. It wasn’t even funny, or thought provoking, or something- just bad. Why would a burst of Gamma radiation from the sun materialize as lightning? How (other than a plot device) is the doctor’s DNA transmitted through lightning into the Dalek-men? Why would the Daleks let a half formed pig man run around? Why do the Daleks keep the human-Dalek alive? Why do they keep him chained and pull him around like a puppy on a leash? If the Daleks can destroy their converted Dalek-men why do they wait until AFTER the two Daleks are blown up to do so? Etcetera, etcetera… I love Doctor Who, even such unpopular episodes such as 'The Happiness Patrol', but I can't understand this mess of a story. A few more like this and I might just stop watching.