Doctor Who

Father's Day

Aired Saturday 8:00 PM May 14, 2005 on BBC America

• Paradox

An interesting and impactful episode, although one of the show's few plainly nonsensical time travel stories. Also contradictory to the Doctor's canon opinion on time travel.
  • Father's Day

Father's Day was a superbly entertaining episode and I really enjoyed watching. The story was intriguing and it was great to see the Doctor conflicted over Roses actions. It was great to see the consequences of changing the past with out care. I liked seeing Roses mother in the past with different hair and it was great to meet her father. I liked how it all played out though and there were some good lessons learned. I look forward to watching what happens next!!!!!!!!!
  • Rose wishes to be there for her father as he dies, but saves his life, releasing the Reapers from the Time Vortex. With the Doctor soon devoured by one, will Rose give up her lviing father to undo the paradox she created?

4.5
    This episode seems to be the only episode that shows the weakness of Rose's character. She saves her father from being hit by a car with a second pair of her and the Doctor around, weakening time and space enough for the Vortex Reapers to emerge and devour the whole world. Due to the stupidity of Pete trying to prove that Rose is the same as the infant Rose, the two touch, strengthening the paradox and allowing a Reaper to kill the Doctor and leave only the option of pete giving his life to save the world, but not until he shows Rose that he trully was a good father despite his shortcomings.
  • Not a big fan of the time paradox, but this episode is all about heart.

This is a really good episode where the enemy is not as much out there as it is within ourselves. I'm not a fan of the time paradox, and whether crossing one's own time-line is possible or not, but they did a good job of not making this the heart of the episode.

It is a little disappointing that this episode came so soon after Rose witnesses a stupid choice by others [namely Adam's selfishness from last episode]. Did she not learn anything about trying to make changes. It was good that they made it more spur the moment a gut reaction. There is a lot of emotion throughout, with the Doctor giving some tough love, but Shaun Dingwall who plays Rose's father does a nice job of showing a roller-coaster of feelings. This all adds up to a sad ending were you do feel Rose's pain.
  • Brand new Doc doesn't seem to be able to get away from Earth...

I have enjoyed all of the episodes of the new season. I liked this one because it dealt with the choices and responsibilities we face every day, and how living in the world of "what if" is unhealthy and destructive.
    I'm looking forward to all of the new episodes of season 2.
  • Great, fantastic, tissue needed

This episode was always destined to be the most emotional of the new series, and after the more traditional 'Who' of The Long Game, it was to be a very different type of story. Rose never knew her father, Peter. He died when she was a baby. Brought up by her mother, she only knew her father from what she had been told. As far as she knew, Peter was a businessman, a loving husband, and a doting father. He died alone - the victim of a hit and run.

This background information has been lurking behind the scenes since the first episode, and was re-told - perhaps with more detail - skillfully by Rose, and in flashback by Jackie to her young daughter. Explaining to the Doctor why she's been thinking so much of her father quickly, and easily, explains to the viewer. Rose merely wanted to see her father when he was alive, to know what he was like, and - more importantly - she didn't want him to die alone. But, as the Doctor says, be careful what you wish for.

On seeing her father, and witnessing his death, Rose is incapable of action. She asks the Doctor for a second try. At this point the story could so easily have become Groundhog Day, but fortunately Phil Cornell must have been aware of this and stipulated that they could only be there twice. On this second attempt to be with her father at his death, Rose realises that she can't face losing him again, and acting purely from grief she rushes out to save his life. Who amongst us can say, hand on heart, that we wouldn't do the same? The catastrophic results which ensue from this single act lead to the end of the world, and inevitably Peter realises that he is the only person who can save the world - the only person who can make things right. Along the way we witness tempers, and tantrums, from Peter, Jackie, Rose and the Doctor, and Rose discovers the truth about her parent's relationship. Disappointed, and disillusioned, she watches them bicker. Rose is overflowing with remorse that her selfish actions have led to such a catastrophic turn of events, and again she has to face the death of her father. But this time she has a chance to say goodbye, as does Jackie, and Peter chooses to die - rather than being a victim, he becomes a hero, someone Rose can be truly proud of. Peter recognises that the Doctor knew the truth, that he knew that Peter had to die - but was trying to find a better solution. In the end, Peter doesn't die alone. Rose is with him, and she comforts him in his final moments. She attains closure, and, in two short scenes, we see the truth of the strong bond she has with the Doctor - his actions and her father's mirrored when comforting her.

This episode was wonderfully written, fully exploring the 'what if?' scenario, which we all face when dealing with the grief of losing a loved one. Can anyone truly say that this element of time-travel has been so well explored since H G Wells? Once again, we see a more human side to Eccleston's Doctor, and Chris was - as ever - superb. The Doctor's anger at Rose's stupidity - from the simmering silence to "I picked another stupid ape" - and his attempt to protect her, and her family, and his self-sacrifice, were portrayed in a wonderfully understated way. All of these emotions truly convey how much the Doctor cares about the human race, perhaps the most moving speech was when the Doctor was talking to the couple who were about to get married, ending with "I never had a life like that" shows us just how much the Doctor lost in his years of exile.

Camille Coduri, and Shaun Dingwall, were excellent as Rose's bickering parents, who recognised that they still loved each other intensely at the end of the episode, and who's courage and self-sacrifice poignantly saved the world. I felt their grief, and pain, and the mental anguish that Pete was going through was so well portrayed. But the praise really has to go to Billie Piper. This is certainly Rose's hardest adventure to date. She doesn't realise how hard this will be, and she faces her emotions head on. Two weeks ago Chris portrayed the Doctor in a highly emotional state, believing that he'd killed Rose. This week Billie portrayed Rose in a similarly emotional state, believing that she's killed the Doctor. On top of the grief, and remorse, which Rose was already dealing with, Billie made us feel that this really was the worst day of Rose's life. When Rose hugged her father, as he realised who she was, I felt her pain and grief - and this is all testament to Billie's superb acting. She has been a revelation in this series, and this episode has surpassed all others in terms of her acting - I'll never doubt her again.

At the end of this episode, I was left wondering what I would do if I had a TARDIS - how, or if, I would fight the temptation to do something similar and save my mum's life. And I know, deep down, that like Rose I'd meddle with history. In that situation who wouldn't? And I cried. I cried when I watched a second time, that's how strong the story is. That's how good the acting is. This is twice now that 'New Who' has made me cry. And this finally proves that great Sci-Fi can also be great Drama.
  • Beautifully acted and poignantly written. A keeper.

I personally loved this episode. It was unexpectedly moving, and provided a real insight to the world Rose grew up in, and to the life Jackie has been left to lead. It was filled with fantastic acting, reasonable effects, and provided a much needed back story. When Pete sacrificed himself, to live up to the ideal of a father he could never be, I must confess I reached for the Kleenex. We also witness the first tender moment between Rose and the Doctor, their first hug. Rose was able to be there for there for her father, to hold his hand whilst he died, a very poignant and beautiful moment. The flashback at the beginning and end sum up the story wonderfully. The Doctor is able to do amazing things, for everyone.

Favourite Quote: I've waited a long time to say this: Jackie Tyler, do as I say!
  • Rose wants to see her Dad (who has died). The Doctor takes her to see him but doesn't count on her changing history by saving his life! Written By; Paul Cornell Directed By; Joe Aherne

The Doctor and Rose are sitting in the TARDIS when Rose tells The Doc she wants to see her dad so The Doctor takes her back in time to see her mum and dad's wedding. They then get back into The TARDIS and we have a backflash moment of Jackie telling a young Rose that there was nobody with her father when he died. Rose tells the Doctor she wants to be that person. The Doctor takes back in time again but Rose can't do it when it comes to it. She asks The Doctor for a second chance but that it will have to be quick as the two of them are allready there. It happens again but Rose runs out and saves her Dad from being run over!
    They talk and Pete (Rose's Dad) says he's going to a wedding. Rose says she is going too and Pete offers her a lift! They go back to the Tyler's flat and Pete quickly does a last minute go to the loo etc. The Doctor and Rose then have an argument about changing time and The Doctor storms off back to the TARDIS telling Rose she isn't coming.
    Outside lots of people are vanishing, though we only see this from the Aliens POV. Pete and Rose then go to the wedding. The Doctor, meanwhile, goes back to the TARDIS but the interior of it has vanished and he goes chasing off to find Rose. At the wedding Rose meets her mum who thinks Rose and Pete are having an affair. A reapper (the alien) then appears from the sky and The Doctor turns up telling them to get into the church. In the church Rose and Pete get to know each other a bit more and Rose tells Pete her she is his Daughter. Rose also apologises to The Doctor who accepts and tells her not to touch her baby self as the reappers will be able to get in. Rose then feels warmth in the Doctors pocket. It's the TARDIS key telling them it's still connectoed to the alien bit of the TARDIS. The doctor then manages to get the TARDIS to materialise but very, very slowly. How ever when Pete tells Jackie (Rose's mum) she is the same daughter as the one Jackies holding he gives Rose to Rose and the reappers get through! The Doctor is eaten and Rose bracks down knowing she has started the end of the world. Pete then looks out the windo and sees the car that was supposed to run over him earlier. He jumps infront of the car as Rose and Jackie watch. As he dies everone re-appears and The Doctor tells Rose to go to him. Rose's wish has come true at last! The Doctor and Rose then head to the TARDIS leavingJackie to grieve!

THis is a tear jerking ep with a plot that could be made into a movie!

Best Actor/ Actress; Billie Piper
  • 2nd best episode of this season.

This is a moving and beautiful episode with Rose battling her emotions and saving her father from his death.

Of course there is a price to pay and the Reapers come out to play (wow that rhymed). They eat humans and can fly!

There is a wedding that Rose and the Doctor end up at and hide in the church. Rose sees herself from when she was younger and Jackie when she was younger.

Of course something must happen to the Doctor when there is another potential hero. Pete must sacrifice his life to save the world and Rose ends up heartbroken again.

All in all 2nd best episode of the season with a beautiful score.
  • Clever episode with real emotion that explored the dangers of messing with time - a classic.

Well this episode was a massive turning point for the entire show. It really integrated Rose into the show by displaying the dangers of time travel and her reaction to this. The first scenes, when Rose is watching her father about to die, i almost cried. There was some brilliant acting done by Billie Piper, followed by some equally good acting by Ecclestone when he gets angry with Rose. Then we had (in my view), one of the most shocking moments in modern Doctor Who. The Doctor opens the tardis and its gone. The entire interior was gone, it became a plain old blue box. This bit was so brilliant that i jumped up out of my seat and broke a mug, thus missing the next couple of scenes, and when I returned they were barricaded inside the church.

Which leads me to the aliens. They were Ok, but not the best thing about this episode. I was surprised to see that creatures that cleansed wounds in time and space would be so organic. I would have pictured them to be more like spirits, but there you go.

The ending was as touching as the start. Rose held her Dad's hand and we hear the voiceover giving the date of death, that was very good.

This episode was full of fantastic acting. Fantastic.
  • "Time's been damaged, and they've come to sterilise the wound... by consuming everything in sight."

7.9
    I know how it feels to lose a family member. Firstly, I'm surprised that Jackie and Pete still get married even though Pete has difficulty saying Jackie's surname! I agree with the Doctor when he says, "Be careful what you wish for," after Rose asks him if they can go back to November 7th 1987. Pete getting hit by that car is sudden - it's happened before you know it. The vase Pete was carrying smashes on the road. Rose then explains to the Doctor that by the time the ambulance had arrived, Pete had died. She then asks the Doctor if she can try again. When I first watched this episode, I sensed that something wasn't right when the shot of the wall moving sideways is repeated. (The words "Bad Wolf" are written on one of the yellow posters). Things get tense as there are two sets of the Doctor and Rose near to the road. I've seen it before in films like 'Back to the Future Part II' when multi-characters are seen. (That's two characters in one shot played by one actor/actress). When Rose says "I can't do this," unsettling music is heard. The Doctor then says "You don't have to do anything but this is the last time we can be here." Rose runs out into the road and saves Pete from the car. (The vase he was carrying is not broken this time). The earlier Doctor and Rose vanish, and while Rose is overjoyed at having actually succeeded in saving her father, the Doctor is not pleased. Rose introduces herself to Pete, who remarks on the coincidence of her name with his daughter's. When Rose says she is attending the Hoskins-Clarke wedding, Pete offers her and the Doctor a lift. The music is very unsettling. Then high above the city, red eys scan the area, at this point, something REALLY isn't right. I could not stop watching this episode after that. The Doctor is angry with Rose, implying that she had planned this from the moment she heard that the TARDIS was a time machine. Rose says there was no plan, that she just saw a chance to stop it and did so, and questions why it is all right for the Doctor to save people but not for her to save her father. The Doctor says that two sets of them at that location was a vulnerable point. His whole world was destroyed — did she not think it had occurred to him to try to change history if he had been able to do so? Rose protests that she did not change history, because Pete was nothing special. The Doctor counters that there is a man alive now who is supposed to be dead: the world is different because of that. The argument grows more heated, and the Doctor demands the TARDIS key back. After which, he leaves. When this occured I started thinking, "Is the Doctor going to leave Rose in 1987? How will she get back to 2006?" As the Doctor walks back to the TARDIS, he is unaware that around the neighbourhood, things are swooping down from the skies and consuming people. He does, however, sense that something is wrong. When he gets back to the TARDIS and unlocks it with his key, he is startled to find out that it is just an empty box. At this, I started thinking how the Doctor and Rose where going to get back to 2006. At the church (which is located in Grangetown, Cardiff) Rose and Pete meet Jackie, who almost instantly starts an arguement. Jackie's attitude drives me crazy. However, I laughed when, with great satisfaction, the Doctor orders Jackie to do as he says and make sure all the doors and windows are secure inside the church! Those reapers remind me of the Nazguls in 'The Lord of the Rings' Trilogy. When Rose first sees them, the music becomes scary in different tones. In the shot outside showing the church from an angle, a reaper swoops down and a woman is heard screaming. When this occurs it reminds me of Adam from the previous episode, and what he might be doing at this point. The Doctor looks out the back window of the church, and sees the car that was supposed to run Pete down appearing and disappearing as it circles the church. (I might've seen something like this before). I'm interested when the Doctor explains that when the Time Lords were still around, paradoxes like this could be repaired (I would've liked to have seen the Doctor's people stop those reapers) but now this church and places like it are probably the only places in the world where people are still alive, the creatures having consumed everyone else. Rose tells the Doctor she is sorry and the Doctor smiles, hugging her. Rose feels the TARDIS key glowing hot in the Doctor's pocket. The Doctor realises that this means that although the TARDIS's interior dimensions were thrown out of the wound in time, the ship is still linked to the key and he can summon it back. This raised my hopes. The Doctor uses a mobile telephone battery in conjunction with the sonic screwdriver to charge up the key, and the shadowy shape of the TARDIS begins to materialise slowly around it. However, the hope doesn't last long. I though it was over, but that was before the infant Rose was thrust into the adult Rose's arms, causing a paradox. After the reaper cunsumed the Doctor and flew into the still-materializing TARDIS, I thought, "This time there REALLY IS no hope." After Rose realizes that the key is cold, Pete hugs her. Suddenly, it darkens inside the church. The Bride, Sarah Clarke says, "This is it. There's nothing we can do. It's the end." If the episode would've ended there, never to be continued, that would have been unbelievable! The ending to the 1969 version of 'The Italian Job' is annoying enough. However, the Doctor Who episodes don't do that. Some end in suspense but the following sequels straighten things out. When Pete looks out the window and sees the car appear and disappear, he figures out what is to be done. (The unsettling music is heard one last time). Pete explains to Rose that the car that should've killed him is at the church. Rose is upset about having to say goodbye to him. However, Pete says that he had all those extra hours, and that nobody else has had. And on top of that, he met her. Pete and Jackie hug Rose and Pete leaves the church. As one of the reapers moves towards him, the car appears. Pete runs to it and is knocked down by the vehicle. The reapers disappear from existance (the music becomes uplifting) and the Doctor returns, telling Rose, "Go to him, quick." Rose is there for Pete when he dies, which is moving. This is one of the few episodes where there isn't someone evil planning to rewrite the history of Earth. As Rose and the Doctor walk back towards the TARDIS the atmosphere is quiet. The preview for the following episode, "The Empty Child" is very exciting. Suspension builds when the preview ends with Rose falling from a rope high above London, screaming.
  • Playing With Time

7.9
    Throughout the history of Dr Who, there have been chances for the Doctor to irrevocably alter history by changing things (such as Genesis Of The Daleks, where the Doctor has the opportunity to put a stop to the Dalek race before they begin). But he never has- fearing the consequences would be too great. But we get to see what could happen if the rules of time are broken in ‘Father’s Day’.

Rose asks the Doctor to take her back to 1987- the year her father, Pete, died- so she could be with him before he died. The Doctor agrees and they go back, but instead of being with him, she saves him from the oncoming car. The Doctor isn’t happy; Rose has altered time. They argue and the Doctor leaves whilst Rose and Pete go to the wedding. Whilst there, Rose sees Jackie and realises that her father wasn’t the wonderful perfect man she always thought he was. But that’s not their biggest trouble: because of Rose’s meddling, a race of creatures known as the Reapers have broken through to the world and have started repairing the damage she caused- by devouring humankind. As an episode, it’s really got potential- the idea of showing the ramifications of messing around with time, only hinted at in ‘The Long Game’, is a good one- but a deluge of soapy melodrama unfortunately undermines this.

There are a lot of emotional scenes, as you would expect- but the best episodes of Dr Who combine this emotion with the action we so know and love. This one doesn’t do that successfully. Sure, the idea of the Reapers is a good one and their design is well-realised and it’s only right that there should be some sacrifice (Pete realising the only thing for him to do is to walk out in front of the car and set history right again should be a more powerful moment than it is), but the relentless emotion all gets a bit too movie-of-the-week for me. That said, there’s a storming performance by Christopher Eccleston, full of anger and sadness, as he rips into Rose for what she’s done.

Shaun Dingwall also does very well as Pete; it would be too easy to play a character like Pete as self-delusional but Dingwall invests him with a knowledge that he is a bit of a feckless loser and not the best husband or father he could have been. If the emotion could have been tempered a little more and a touch more action, this would have been a great episode. As it is though, it’s perfectly adequate but nothing special.
  • Finally, a story that actually explores the idea of time travel!

Seeing as the Doctor has possession of a space ship that can travel anywhere in time and space, I'm glad to see the writers of this show actually making use of it. Being a huge fan of the classic 80s movie series 'Back to the Future', I always wondered why the writers of Doctor Who didn't make a bit more use of the consequences of travelling through time; usually the time travel is used just to arrive at a point in history and the leave after the Doctor has saved the world. But in 'Fathers Day', we see a bit more exploration into the concept of time travel.
    I really enjoyed most elements about this episode, especially the original take on that old dilemma of what would happened if you went back in time and colided with yourself. The Doctor Who take on it is that basically the whole universe tears apart, with a car disappearing and reappearing in the middle of the street, the TARDIS fading away, and crazy Reapers coming out of no where to "sterilize the wound". Eccleston is superb and Piper actually gets to do a bit of acting in the series for once. Generally the only thing I didn't like was the lack of explaination of 'The Reapers', who were just weird creatures that attacked for no real reason (and I can't see how an animal could evolve outside the passage of time anyway). But generally an outstanding and groundbreaking episode.
  • Rose goes to see her Father's Day of death (that one wasn't so good was it?)

"There's a man alive in the world who wasn't alive before..."

Basic Plot
    Rose changes history by saving her father from a car accident, therefore condemning mankind to death by the savage Reapers.

Billie Piper gets a real chance to shine, and she carries this episode brilliantly. The Reapers are cool as well, as is the empty TARDIS.
  • "Be careful what you wish for." is a great proverb for this episode and one that should of been heeded by Rose.

"Be careful what you wish for." is a great proverb for this episode and one that should of been heeded by Rose. If she did than she wouldn’t of found herself in the mess that she found herself in, but if she didn’t do that, then she would of never learned a powerful lesson and a key fundamental about time traveling: Time travelers shouldn’t change the timelines for own benefit, if they do they should at least know what they are doing, to stop this from time paradoxes from happening.

For if they do, they can set a whole domino-effect of problems, thus creating a time paradox, that ninety percent of the time will result in an changed world where one doesn’t have the same job, live in the same place, or even have the same parents, but life on Earth still goes on. This wasn’t the case with this episode, for when Rose jumps out to save her father, she set in a series of events that first brings out Reapers, things in the universe that are meant to heal a rift in time whenever it shows up, an kind of intergalactic clean up crew. These things do it in the most extreme way that anybody or anything could think of, kill all life that is on the planet where the rift came from. This type of action, reminds me what the Shadows and the Vorlons did in Babylon 5 whenever a planet has a base of their enemies on it.

But, while this approach about alternating timelines is different from your normal approach, I kind of like it, because it is different and much more darker and scarier than other ways that other SF movies and TV shows demonstrate the effects of missing around with a timeline. But, with all of this darkest, there is a small glitter of hope, that while he universe does have these oppressive Reapers that devour things up left and right in what seems to be a totally random way. The universe also has a way that one can fix the time paradox, if one can find it and figure out what it is. That what happen with Rose’s father, he figure things out, and that it was him being alive, which was the thing that was causing all of the problem with the world. That he should of die on that day and that what he dose, he allow the car that was meant to kill him, kill him, which sets everything right despite the fact that he wants to live. He knew that it long run, that if he doesn’t allow himself to kill then the world wouldn’t be safe and that his daughter, whom in 1987 was a baby, wouldn’t grow up to the woman that he saw her to be.

While the Doctor in this episode was sidelined to the status of a secondly type character, but for this episode I think that it was a necessary evil to be done, for this episode was many meant for Rose and her character. But despite his low key appearance in this episode he did have some more telling monuments in this episode, like how he showed some compassion toward Rose, like holding her hand at the monument when her father would be killed, and even allowing her to visit her own past. This is a great tell, that while he might not know the man in question, he at least understand the reasons why she requested from him.

What about the person in question? Rose’s father and how, she grew up with the false knowledge that her father was a great businessman whom was killed by a terrible hit-and-run type accident. But, when she came face to face with the real man, she found out that what she was told when she was a child was all wrong. That in fact her father wasn’t like that at all, he in fact was a little bit of a loser, thinking of unsuccessful money making schemes, but despite these faults that her father had, he still was a very likeable character, that was trying his hardest to make some money for his family, and portrayed wonderfully by Shaun Dingwall. This is something that I like about being an American viewer of this show, because almost all of these actors that might be well known in the UK, are unknown to me and so I am forced to judge how bad or how good these actors are by their merit and not by their name.
  • Masterfully poignant!

Rose learned a hard lesson tonight. Something it took Michael J. Fox two years, and three movies, to learn. Time travelers should not change history for their personal benefit!

But, in saving the father she never knew, from a hit-and-run driver, she creates a temporal paradox that unleashes pteradactyl-like creatures that feed on \"wounds in time.\"

Mr. Tyler ultimately saves the day by sacrificing himself (after first deducing who grown-up Rose really is).

The retroactive bonding they do brought tears to my eyes. As did the hilariously asinine thing Mrs. Tyler said when she overhears--and misunderstands--the tail end of their conversation!

The only thing that keeps this from being a perfect ten? The poor quality CGI on those chronovores, or whatever they were. I saw better CGI on the SCIFI Channel movie, \"Mammoth!\"
  • Very emotional.

A great episode, really emotional.

Rose saving her dad, although being really predictable was also one of the best parts of the story. It was great watching the 1st pair of Doctor and Rose’s reactions to seeing Rose again.

The main episode was a bit slow-moving at times but a great story nonetheless.

The Reapers were fantastic, the sort of Doctor Who monster I like, I hope to see more of them in the future. I didn’t notice the first time I watched this episode that they had mouths on their chest. They were very scary creatures and I loved the way we could only see through their red eyes for the first 20 minutes or so of the episode.

The great thing about this episode is we get to see into the past of the characters. Baby Rose, past Jackie and for the first time Rose’s dad. He was a good character and I hope in some weird storyline he returns too. As for pat Jackie, she looked like she does now but past Mickey, haha that was great, especailly as he runs and grabs Rose when she’s talking about boyfriends!

Overall a very emotional but good episode. In the range of 6-8/10. Let’s say 7.
  • Daddy's Girl Written by Paul Cornell Directed by Joe Aherne

Within the first half of the debut season we’ve encountered plenty of monsters of the week scenarios and with the exception of “Dalek”; we haven’t really had a personal mission as such. The drawback of being a 900 year old Time Lord and having only human assistants is often being dragged into their own personal baggage and as much I love Rose, she’s no exception to the rule.

The episode opens up with a nice if rather overly sentimental narration from Rose praising her father and a flashback of Jackie telling a young Rose about Pete Tyler’s death. In the present day inside the TARDIS, Rose asks The Doctor if she can visit her father on the day he died so she can sit with him so he wouldn’t die alone. Oddly enough, The Doctor actually agrees to this request twice, opening up the predicted can of worms and our jeopardy of the week in the process.

If I had been in Rose’s predicament, watching her father about to die but a passing car, I’d want to save him too, despite whether or not it would have an effect on time. How could The Doctor not realise that Rose’s judgement would be clouded on seeing this particular event?

If I look at it from Rose’s perspective, it’s easy to see why she saved Pete’s life. He’s her father, she’s never had a relationship with the man and in her mind she was given an opportunity to reverse history and do some good, even if it’s rooted in a selfish desire. She rationed with The Doctor that her Dad wasn’t going to start World War Three or make world peace, both being believable arguments but you knew he wasn’t going to see it like that. The Doctor and Rose have had a few disagreements before but this was the first time in which things did get a little heated, he even took back her TARDIS key, he was that pissed off with her. Although both of them raised vital points about the other, the ensuing confrontation came across as a little silly.

As for the man in question, who Rose risked her relationship with The Doctor for, I found myself liking Pete Tyler, even more than I’ve come to like Jackie and a lot more than I liked Jackie in our 1987 trip here. Expertly played by Shaun Dingwall, Pete isn’t quite the successful businessman Rose was brought up to believe he was. Instead he’s a bit of chancer with daft money making scheme and according to an overly permed Jackie, something of a ladies man too. In other the guy of geezer you’d expect on EastEnders. Normally this kind of character would make me cringe and despite some incredibly clichéd dialogue, Pete remained a likeable presence throughout the episode.

Watching him and Rose slowly develop a bond over the hour was intense. We had some rather naff double entendres, Rose learning that her parents weren’t shy of public rows and Jackie realising slowly who she really was. Pete is supposed to be the one who’s dense but Jackie beats him to it. Some of these scenes were quite superb but others sort of missed the mark but for the most part, things were believable and we got some neat foreshadowing for future events.

Whether it was a young Mickey clinging onto an older Rose in the church or Jackie having The Doctor look after baby Rose. I laughed at Jackie’s comments of pitying the poor girl who ends up with Mickey when he’s older or even The Doctor being trusted by Jackie. Mostly though I liked the perceptiveness of Pete and how he realised that being alive had caused the world to alter, even though The Doctor didn’t tell him that.

Now onto the drawback of the episode for humanity. As a result of Rose saving her father, all the parishioners at Stuart and Sarah’s wedding (Jackie is a bridesmaid), some ghoulish creatures appropriately titled the Reapers start attacking the place, forcing The Doctor to barricade everyone in the church. It seems the more time is disrupted with, the stronger they get. So thanks to Pete giving our Rose herself as a baby to hold, the Reapers manage to get inside and devour The Doctor and the TARDIS. I gasped at the moment and as baddies went, the Reapers are one of the more successful ones to date. Rose went through a gamut of guilt and although it was her fault, it was easy to still sympathise with her.

The highlight of the hour though was the last five minutes, culminating in Pete’s death. The guy escaped death and although if he had lived, he might have actually bettered himself as a person, he knew he had to die for things to be right in the world. Billie Piper and Shaun Dingwall worked wonderfully in that scene together as Rose had to watch her father die again without saving him. The episode as it began with another narration from Rose on her father and a new version of her flashback with Jackie before our present day Rose and The Doctor headed back into the TARDIS, seemingly patching up their differences.

Also in “Father’s Day”

Pete Tyler was born on the 15th of September 1954, making him a Virgo and dying on the 7th of November 1987. He died when he was 33. His middle name was Alan and Jackie’s full name is Jacqueline Andrea Suzette Prentice.

Rose: “It’s just an ordinary day”
    Doctor: “The past is another country. 1987’s just the Isle of White”.

Rose: “That car was gonna kill you”
    Pete: “Well, give me some credit, I could see it coming”.

Pete had a lot of Trophies, were they all for bowling? Most of the products he tried to flog looked naff though, especially the Vitex.

Pete: “So that wouldn’t be a mixed signal then at all?
    Rose: “Absolutely not”.

I don’t think we actually got any “Bad Wolf” indicators in this episode, even though Rose caused this week’s chaos. We didn’t it scrolled anyway and I don’t think any of the Reaper creatures made sound indicating “Bad Wolf”.

Stuart: “You seem to know what’s going on”
    Doctor: “I give that impression”.
    Was The Doctor lying when he said to Rose he had no idea of what to do with the Reapers or was he hoping both Rose and Pete would figure it out for themselves?

Jackie (to Pete): “The world’s about to end and what do you do? Cling to the youngest blonde”.

Rose: “Can’t do anything right, can I?”
    Doctor: “As you ask, no. So don’t touch the baby”.

I noticed there was a looping kind of effect with the car that killed Pete several times in the episode and how cool was the idea of using the very first phone call by Alexander Graham Bell in this episode?

Pete: “Who am I, love?”
    Rose: “My Daddy”.

Standout music: We got both Rick Astley and The Street. Not really a fan of both acts but I’m sure they are plenty of viewers who enjoyed the past/present contrast though.

While Dreamwatch had given “Father’s Day” a rather scathing review, I’ll admit they were right about some stuff. Although an interesting idea, like last week things are spoiled but instead of sloppy pacing, it’s too much sentimentality worthy of EastEnders that detracts an overall pleasant enough outing. It’s better than “The Long Game” but it could’ve been better itself.

• The Doctor takes Rose back to the day her father died. But when Rose prevents her fathers death it creates a wound in time unleashing demonic creatures upon them.

This is a good episode. It is nice to see Rose meet her father and interesting to see the effects of tampering with time for your own gain. The demonic creatures went down quite well has the enemy and they wasnt really alien. All in all this was a nice, entertaining episode which is great to watch.
  • Be careful what you wish for.

Wish fulfilment episodes aren't new to drama, especially fantasy-based drama, but this one may have been the most powerful in a long time. The "monster" here -- other than the giant reaper creatures consuming everything in their path -- is Rose's human fraility, which is perhaps scarier and more unpredictable than any flying menace.

What's notable is how many of his own rules the Doctor breaks for Rose -- agreeing to take her back to her father (knowing how dangerous that will be), taking her back a *second* time when she asks and finally never once telling her that her father's death will restore the time balance. It's a secret he takes -- literally -- to his grave when he offers himself to the reapers.

Another hero of this episode is of course, Rose's father. The tragic hero, who realizes his own fate, and embraces it with courage and grace.

Both Rose's father and the Doctor end up sacrificing themselves for the love of Rose. In the end, she ends up getting exactly what she wanted -- her father doesn't die alone. The Doctor is restored to life and Rose's father gets a little more time with the daughter he never knew. It's a wonderfully bittersweet ending to a beautifully told fantasy fable.
  • Another enjoyable episode that had some obvious problems, very much like last week. This is probably one of the most emotionally charged stories that Doctor Who has ever had.

7.3
    Another enjoyable episode that had some obvious problems, very much like last week. This is probably one of the most emotionally charged stories that Doctor Who has ever had. And in that regard, they accomplished what they were trying to do: make a strong emotional story.

Unfortunately, too much attention was paid to the emotional aspect, and not enough attention was given to the actual plot. The weakness of the story is the lack of explanation for pretty much the entire plot. It just seems like a very messy idea that isn't fully thought out. How does the sacrifice of Rose's Dad revert everything back to normal? It heals the wound in time? What does that mean really? How is everyone returned back to life, but not back at the original starting point of the story? I would have thought that if healing the wound in time returns everyone back to life, then it must also return them back to a time before the wound was created, such as the moment when Rose saves her dad in the first place. Yet everyone is at the church (prior to the time creatures appearing we see Rose's mom arrive, she wasn't there yet when the story started). Also, how are they able to use the Tardis key to cause the Tardis to materialize? With a camcorder battery? erm...Just seemed nonsensical to me (surely it would have been more appropriate to use the phone battery in Rose's phone, because it turned Rose's phone into a time phone...speaking of which, we never saw her get the phone back from Adam...woops, good going guys). What a mess.

The best thing to me was when the Doctor opens the Tardis door and it's a regular police box. Genius! I thought that was one of the greatest shock moments ever. I actually shouted out in shock! (in fact, that was probably the scariest part of the whole story, not the CGI Kronivore monster thingies).

The story's continuity with the original series remains strong. The idea that Rose can't touch herself as a baby or else--ZAP (as in Mawdryn Undead) was good. And the Doctor mentioning that it was dangerous for them to be hanging around when another set of themselves was already there.

The story arc is ever present as well, although I think there were no bad wolf references. I'll have to watch again. But the time war and "FANTASTIC" were present as ever.

I also liked how Rose called the Doctor out on him being hypocritical about mucking about with time. His explanation that "he knows what he's doing" rings very hollow, which I think was intentional. Good stuff there.

They didn't do a very good job of making Rose's mum look younger. It just seems like they didn't really try very hard. I mean 18 years...she would HAVE to look different. Granted, they were probably limited because of the actress's features, but it would like they didn't even try.

The time creatures, I thought they were essentially like Kronivores. Which means I'm going to have to watch Time Monster now to see if there is an actual link. They probably could have saved themselves a lot of trouble if the Doctor had actually called them Kronivores.

As I've been saying, it's highly convenient for the Doctor that the timelords are dead. Again we have pretty much a violation of the laws of time here, and as he mentions, if the Timelords were still around they probably would have jumped in and saved the day (and taken away several of his remaining regenerations in the process I imagine!)

You begin to wonder if part of the Doctor's involvement with the Time War was an intentional destruction of Gallifrey so he could freely roam without their interference.

Repeatedly viewings really don't clear up the plot problems, or really explain what's going on and how it's really resolved. But putting that aside, it's still a strong emotional piece. I gave it at 36.5.

• The Doctor lets Rose visit the day her Father died. When she saves him from the out of control car, all Hell, literally breaks loose. Astonishingly emotional.

First, a confession:
    I've been watching "Doctor Who" since I was in high school.
    I didn't cry when Adric died.
    I didn't cry when The Doctor locked Susan out.
    But enough of that…
    The prelude gives us every hint that we will be watching something fairly emotional. We see Jackie telling a very young Rose about how wonderful the late Mr. Tyler was, and then we see Rose asking The Doctor if he can take her to see her father when he was still alive. We've all seen "Yesterday's Enterprise." We've all seen "The City on the Edge of Forever." We know this can't end well.
    And… credits.
    We open on Rose's parents wedding day. It's not an elaborate affair. And, surprising no one, Jackie's name goes on forever. During the vows, Mr. Tyler gets one of Jackie's names wrong, and Jackie scowls, but then compares it to Lady Diana's error with one of Charles' middle names. Mr. Tyler is already made to look useless, and Rose hasn't even been conceived yet. I wonder where they're going with this? (Because it's not as if I was crying like a baby at the end or anything.) I suppose 48 minutes is a tough time frame to work in. I can't order dinner in less than 2,500 words. As I'm proving…
    Then we see Jackie again telling young Rose about the day her father died. And it's not at all heavy handed when Jackie tells Rose that she wished he hadn't died alone. And I'm not at all tearing up.
    Here's the thing: Sci-Fi can do this. Sci-Fi can create an elaborate universe with different rules from our own, and then make things happen that could never happen in our world. Opera is similar. The thing I love best about Sci-Fi is when situations are created that precipitate emotional responses realistic fiction could never replicate.
    [Foreshadowing scanners on high.]
    And then we see Rose and The Doctor outside the church where two friends of Rose's parents are getting married. And then we see Rose's father hit accidentally by a passing car and killed. The Doctor tells Rose to go to her father. She loses here nerve. Then we see The Doctor giving Rose a second chance. The Doctor gets into elementary Time Law and explains that the earlier Doctor and Rose can't see this later apparition of themselves.
    Kudos to these people for keeping the logic in place…
    Later Doctor tells Later Rose to comfort her father. Later Rose decides to save her father instead. Wackiness ensues. (Oh, come on…)
    It's an impossible proposition: None of us could sit idly by knowing what would happen. We have all been immediately drawn to sympathise with Rose.
    Rose and The Doctor accompany Rose's Father back to the Tyler flat. While Rose's Father makes tea, Rose shows The Doctor various keepsakes that are a part of her childhood, but at that juncture, are still new, and somewhat meaningless. And how does that not kill? How could you, outside of Sci-Fi, give an example of prosaic tat, which can also be described as heart breaking mementos, depending on context? "Doctor Who" is so much better in episodic format.
    The Doctor cannot fathom Rose's stupidity in saving her father. He is furious with her for altering the time line, and also with her inability to comprehend what she has done. Rose's defence is that her father is a small man. Insignificant. It is incomprehensible that his life could matter to the Universe. And yet, she saved him. Right there, unconditional love got defined. If you weren't paying attention, go ahead and rewind.
    This is as awkward a conflict as one can imagine, and one conventional fiction could never delineate. The Doctor is furious with Rose, and rightly so. He takes back Rose's key to the TARDIS, and yells at her that she has no idea what she's done; which she doesn't. It is alternately impossible not to defend what Rose did on an emotional level.
    People more knowledgeable than I have described the beasts who now appear as Kronivores — let's go with that. (I remember the Kronivores from "The Time Monster," but they were, what, thirty years before CGI?) I love that there is a physical manifestation of the consequences of Rose's actions. In life, poor moral decisions rarely result in twenty-foot long invincible monsters falling from the sky, which is probably a good thing.
    Rose and her Father have bonded as friends by this point, which is quite lovely. She has set up boundaries forbidding him from coming on to her, because she has also left out telling him he is her father. It's lovely, actually. As far back as she can remember, Jackie has led Rose to believe her Father was a saint amongst men. In actual interaction, Rose is learning her Father was a ne'er-do-well, but a good-hearted and well-meaning ne'er-do-well. Her Father was the kind of man who would always have a good story at the end of the day, even if he didn't have the rent money, and I think it's men like Rose's Father who produce artists. And there must be something special in Rose for The Doctor to have chosen her.
    Now we get some ironic dialogue which is not altogether inappropriate: "I'm sure I've met you somewhere before." Heavy handed? Maybe. Spot on? Absolutely. All the way back to "Oedipus" we have accepted as a convention of fiction that people who are related to each other will, somehow, "know." And don't they? How else is it that you can finish your husband/wife/partner's sentences? How is it that when your mother says "That dish I like," you know what dish she means? And why can you always catch your brother/sister's passes?
    As has been established, Rose's Father was supposed to die on his way to the wedding of a good friend. We cut to that wedding, looking sadly under attended. Presumably, the Kronivores have eaten all the guests. I hate when that happens. I cried when my pool party got rained on, so I can't imagine what it feels like to have your wedding day end in the destruction of the human race. The groom's father makes another ironic comment about "Turning back the clock." Although, really, it's classic "You can do better," which we've all been through, so let's just "BOO" the groom's parent in unison.
    Oh, and here's where it gets really interesting: The Doctor returns to the TARDIS, only to find an empty police box. Apparently, what with the Kronivores, and Rose's messing with the timeline, the interior of the TARDIS has gone AWOL. Interesting. Earlier, Rose yelled that The Doctor alters time all the time. The TARDIS has never gone AWOL before. The Doctor responded to Rose's accusation's that he knew what he was doing. Hasn't that always been a tenet of "Doctor Who?" That he didn't destroy the Kaled incubators because he knew what he was doing. That he pointed Harriet Jones in the right direction because he knew what he was doing.
    Things fall apart at the chapel very quickly: Time sucking monsters, no attendees, you know how it is.
    Here’s where the episode really takes off:
    Rose and her Father become friends.
    And then they get to the time monster swamped chapel.
    The show sides on, well, the side of Destiny. After Rose saves her Father, the car that should have killed Rose's Father circles the church, ghostly, for the rest of the episode. As Rose and her Father pull up for the service, the Car returns from the Ether, almost killing them both.
    At the chapel, Jackie and Rose's Father get into a screaming match. Understandable: A man not known for this faithfulness has shown up with a really hot blonde who won't identify herself. Rose's Father yells at Rose for causing the conflict.
    Things start to go right and wrong at the same time: Rose's parents make up. The Kronivores sweep in. People die. The Doctor herds everyone into the church. It's interesting that everyone instinctually did as they were told. Until they were safe, that is. Once inside, immediately people started questioning The Doctor's directions.
    Now, how indicative is that?
    And, then, to keep us all human, Rose asks if this is all her fault.
    And… commercials.
    Back from commercials, we open with a really painful montage of empty baby booties and overturned tricycles. The old "Doctor Who" never did anything like this to us. But it really sets the tone.
    Then, while talking with Rose's Father, The Doctor sees The Car. And The Doctor pretends he doesn't get it. But I think Rose's Father does.
    [I'm sorry; I'll need some Kleenex for the rest of this. Oh, shut up. So do you.]
    Okay, here we go:
    Rose's Father pulls Rose aside. He tells her he knows who she is. He throws himself around her. [Sniff.]
    A Kronivore attacks the church.
    Then the bride and groom tell The Doctor their back-story; which is also lovely, since they're both marginally unattractive, but they appear to have fallen in love at first sight. The Doctor tells them quite sincerely that he will never have what they have. [Oh, all right, SNIFF.].
    Can I just say? It kills me that Christopher Eccleston has moved on. He's probably the best Doctor since Jon Pertwee, and he's also the sexiest Doctor ever. I know my opinion of Jon Pertwee is in the minority against the Tom Baker Brigade, but Christopher Eccleston is fantastic in this role.
    Then we get this scene between adult Rose and her young adult, soon to be late, Father. It's almost unbearable. Rose can't tell her Father what's coming, and her Father is trying to be charming and perfect. It is, literally, unbearable. You have to cry. And, again, this is something conventional fiction can't ever come close to. I'm not an all-knowing Sci-Fi aficionado, so I'm sure other people will make better references than this, but here I go: I would equate this episode with the second season finale of "Buffy, the Vampire Slayer."
    [Sniff.]
    Now we get some funny continuity: Young Mickey was apparently at this wedding, and threw himself at Adult Rose.
    Elsewhere, Jackie has given Baby Rose to The Doctor for care tending. And The Doctor has laid down the law that Adult Rose and Baby Rose can 't interact.
    The Doctor reveals that he is frightened. He's not accustomed to not being able to call on his [late] people in an emergency. He asks Rose for an apology, a simple apology. She apologises. They embrace. It's lovely (as I may have said before.)
    Oh, and then the TARDIS key reasserts itself. The Doctor fixes things with the aid of a battery from one of those gawdawful, early eighties, clunky, ugly cell phones we all used to pretend we weren't jealous of. Anyway, the battery from the phone appears to have enough kick to help the TARDIS key to rematerialise the TARDIS. Hooray.
    And… commercials.
    If I may say, have we ever had a more emotional "Doctor Who?" And we're not even at the sad part yet. Not that there's a sad part. Keep reading. Everyone will be fine.
    La, la, la.
    Okay, so I have to recap this scene in segments.
    Here's what I can do for you so far:
    Kronivores swoop outside the church.
    Rose's Father asks Rose if he was a good father. And I'm crying already. Rose lies to every question her father asks her. He says to her: "Am I a good Dad?" And Rose lies. Rose tells her Father that He was always there for her. She lies about picnics. She lies about bedtime stories. She actually says: "You were there for us all the time."
    It is heartbreaking. There is a preternatural need to be parented, even by a bad parent, and Rose fell into it.
    But the Father knows Rose is lying:
    "That's not me."
    You can be a bad parent without necessarily being a bad human being. He knew she was lying, and he called her on it. I can't speak for anyone else, but I'd rather be a bad person who owns up to his flaws, than be a bad person who pretends to have no flaws.
    We're not even at the sad part yet, and I'm already admiring Rose's Father. Any guesses where this is going?
    The Doctor charges up onto the rostrum and tells everyone to do as he says. But aren't we all really here for what comes next? Because this? Is gonna kill.
    [Not that I'm giving anything away.]
    First we get The Doctor promising Rose that, despite what may happen, her Father will live. Her Father overhears this and berates himself for not deserving a second chance. Rose tries to apportion the blame to herself, and her Father says the most moving couple of lines of the entire episode:
    "No, luv. I'm your Dad. It's my job for it to be my fault."
    [Okay. SNIFF.}
    And then it happens. Jackie freaks when she hears Rose's Father (I'm sorry, but I'm sticking with this all the way through) address Rose parentally, which in turn causes Jackie to freak when she learns that this unfamiliar blond hanging on her husband's arm and her newborn daughter have the same Christian name. It will take Jackie a very long while to get it.
    And Rose's Father puts Baby Rose in Adult Rose's arms, and all hell breaks loose.
    Kronivores invade the church. A Kronivore encloses The Doctor. This, is Hell-i
    -Bad.
    And, by the way, I would do Rose's Father.
    And in other news: He gets it. He knows. (Not me. The stuff that's going to make us all cry soon? Not giving anything away.)
    Okay, so this is awful: The car that should have killed Rose's Father is still circling the block, in and out of the ether, and Rose's Father is telling Rose he's about to throw himself in front of that car to right the time line. How "Yesterday's Enterprise" is this?
    And then there's this scene I can't even mock: Rose's father is about to throw himself in front of the errand-less car. If you have a heart, this will kill you.
    Rose's Father makes Jackie recognise Rose.
    Rose's Father explains to Jackie that he has to go and stand in front of this out of control car.
    Jackie and Rose's Father kiss goodbye. (And I can't even take it.)
    (And this is killing…)
    Rose's Father, oh, dammit, he deserves to be called Pete: "I never read you any bedtime stories. I never took you on any nice picnics. I was never there for you."
    Rose: "You would have been."
    Pete: "But, I can do this for you. I can be a proper Dad to you now."
    Rose: "It's not fair."
    Pete: "I've had all these extra hours. No one else in the world has ever had that. And on top of that… to see you… you're beautiful… How lucky am I, eh… So, come on, do as your Dad says…"
    And he does it.
    The second the car hits Pete, everything reverts to the way it was. The Doctor comes up to Rose's side and tells her to go to her Father. As she does, the chapel full of people attending the now Kronivore-free wedding all come outside to see what the commotion is.
    When Rose makes it to her Father's side, he is still conscious. They don't speak. They just look into each other's eyes, and it's all there. Then Pete loses consciousness.
    [Very big SNIFF.]
    The episode ends with a revised version of Jackie telling Young Rose about the day her Father died. The tale now includes a young woman who was passing by, who went to her Father, sat with him, and held his hand until he died.
    We cut back to Rose, giving up the attempt at suppressing her sobs. She kisses her Father's forehead, and gets up to join the Doctor. The Doctor takes her hand as they walk to the TARDIS, while Rose voices over: "Peter Allen Tyler, my Dad, the most wonderful man in the world, dies seventh of November, 1987."
    And… sniff. I mean, cut.
    I have no idea why Russell T. Davies chose to aim the show at adults this time around, but God bless him for it. That was some of the most emotionally affecting Sci-Fi I have ever seen.