Doctor Who

Forest of the Dead (2)

Aired Saturday 8:00 PM Jun 07, 2008 on BBC America

• Infinite loop, sonic screwdriver - SPOILERS

Great episode, as everyone has said. SPOILERS ahead. I just want to point out something about River's screwdriver. It's in an infinite loop: never was invented, never will be destroyed. Because the Doctor didn't invent it. He got it from River, already fully formed and modified. But River got it from him, meaning he must have invented it, right? But he didn't invent it; he got it from her. Etc. In other words, the screwdriver was never invented. It has been, is, and always will be in an infinite loop. Who put it there? Did anyone?

I'm not saying that's a continuity error, necessarily--and even if it is, I don't care. It's something I don't think even the Doctor could explain. And that makes it really weird and worth remembering.
  • Forest of the Dead

Forest of the Dead was a superb follow up to "Silence in the Library" and I really enjoyed watching because the character development and story lines were amazing. It was interesting to see River gain The Doctor's trust by whispering a single word in his ear, and it was so cool to later find out what it was. I liked the idea of The Library and the little girl. Donna was off on her own figuring out what was happening from a different place. It was sad to see the guy she thought she invented actually be real but unable to call out to her. I liked the way The Doctor realized he didn't just give River the Sonic Screwdriver for nothing. The ending was amazing and I look forward to watching what happens next!!!!!!!!!
  • An amazing episode filled with surprises, twists and turns. Great acting by Catherine Tate.

What an episode. I was impressed with the creativity of Steven Moffet- not sure about the spelling. From the beginning of the episode you know that you are going to be in for a ride. The idea of an entire world with no other purpose other than to share knowledge in incredible. I found myself empathizing with more than one character. I even found myself proud of Donna. I am not a big Donna fan, but I think that she was really good in this episode. She demonstrated a moving show of compassion for another character. There are twists and turns and things that were completely unexpected. I don't want to give anything away here- so its hard to write this without being specific. I think the only way to fully appreciate this episode is without spoilers.

The only thing that I wasn't really happy with was the very end. I kinda felt a bit cheated there. But, I guess its another day for Doctor Who where everybody lives!- Wait, is that a spoiler?
  • stephen moffat just saved Season 4 which has been mediocre.

wheels within wheels and you think they might have written themselves into a corner but it all works out and it's great TV. some of it's silly. some of it's melodramatic, but it works.

this one leans more towards being a mystery/thriller (ala Blink) and maybe has some of the creepiest moments of any of the new series. surreal jump-cuts with Donna in the beginning are riveting.

i was starting to think the show was on its last legs. leave it to Moffat to bring GOOD WRITING back to the series.

this is up there with Blink. maybe not so perfectly realized but up there.
  • The real Doctor

Obviously thius chapter written by Steven Moffat should be one of the best episdodes of the entire series, in Planbet of the Dead we attend to the real Doctor and we take a look of how he really is, a lonely time traveler, I relly liked how Moffat show us this imposible men.

The chemestry of Donna and the Doctor is gettimg stronger as quickly as were approaching to the season finale, I dont know how tis is gonna end but I think that the finale will be as epic as this season.

Beware of spoilers its fun not to know what is on the end ;)
  • This second part to Silence in the Library doesn't disappoint.

You never know how well the two will mesh, or if the ending will live up to the build up of the previous episode, but in this case it definitely did that. The wonderful use of the odd alternative reality works out very well. And the characters come to life on the screen. It also makes you wonder if you'll run into one of the characters again.

I don't know how well this progressed the season, but it was an enjoyable episode and for filler it was very, very well done. Not one of the all time great episodes for the new Doctor Who, but extremely good none the less.
  • Opeing the Tardis with a click of the fingers

This episode is superbly written, each scene links in wonderfully to the next. The relationship on screen between David Tenant and Alex Kingston on screen is wonderful. I do hope that she is someone who appears in the future and we see this possible storyline explored. Why didn't I give it 10 out of 10 well because I'd like to know the things we don't find out - what is his name? What is their relationship? Catherine Tate gives a fabulous performance, her acting is has improved wonderfully across the series. Poor Donna if only she did get to hold on to her lovely guy.
  • She knows my name (spoilers included) - to those who don't like my review...P'Off...go and write your own you silly human!

I am not surprised that the Doctor and Donna will soon part ways - she's run out of annoying ways to be un-helpful to him. At least with Sarah Jane, Rose, and Martha, they were companions to him - Donna is a comic side-kick...and the format is just old hat now...worn out old hat.

We knew that River Song knew the doctor from her own future - which meant that she would not die - paradox and all that, but the modified screwdriver should have been his clue - like he said when ti all came together for him.

River Song is either his future wife - or the future incarnation of his daughter that has taken on a new persona with that regeneration - fathers and daughters do tend to fight like married couples - but in the end, daddy's little girl will always be protected - which is why, in the future, he G I V E S her the day of her life, and the sonice screwdriver before the day she must died and he saves her for what can only be the first of many times.

His name is irrelevant to the story - though Son of Rassilon has a great ring to it~! And would make the 5 Doctors special episode/movie all the more meaningful. Donna Nobel has been saved...Donna Nobel needs deleted is what they should have done...and the end touching note of the stuttering man being her love in the un-real world of the libraries saved file was ok at best.

As we moved to the end of the season - it's time to really bring Rose back, have Martha in need of the Doctors help again...and for the ultimate companion to make her final appearance - the death of Sarah Jane Smith needs to be done as quickly as possible while Elizabeth Sladen is still available to do the intense running that the episode would include!
  • The second part. What a stormer!

I cannot believe it. This is amazing. A doctor who episode on season 4 is amazing. Still I don't think it was as suspensful as the first part but it was still a great episode.

What the hell does she mean by spoilers! And anyone who said they knew what was going to happen was so lying. This was unpredictablly brilliant. The ending was rather boring though. The computer world was very strong in emotion about how people can get confused about what life and death is. Athough i'm 100 percent on this it was enjoyable made you want to guess the ending and most of all serious. I havn't seen a doctor who episode in a long time be serious.

I really want there to be more episodes like this. Ones with deeper meaning then you see. Meanings you have to think about. The deeper meaning was how a small childs imagination could create so much happiness and save people and also destroy them inside. A very deep meaning to a very sad episode. I woudn't say it was the greatest Doctor Who ever. In my opinion its the first time we meet Davros. Who's back in this series can't wait for that one. Any way great episode great story line and great writing. Well Done Guys!
  • 'Some days are special. Some days are so, so blessed. Some days, nobody dies at all. Now and then, every once in a very long while, every day in a million days when the wind stands fair and the Doctor comes to call, everybody lives.' (SPOILERS)

Forest Of The Dead more than pays off the set-up of Silence In The Library, combining some thrilling action, a few scares and an emotional love story as well as answering some very important questions. The Vashta Nerada continue to swarm as the Doctor, Professor River Song and the rest of her team seek to escape the flesh-eating shadows. But as more of the team fall prey to this insidious evil, will any of them survive? Meanwhile, Donna finds herself in a world where she is married with two kids and seemingly very happy indeed. But who is the black-veiled figure and what devastating news will she bring? The truth of the little girl and her relationship to what's going on in the Library is also revealed, as is the true nature of River's relationship with the Doctor... This definitely ranks as one of the strongest episodes of the show so far.

Both David Tennant and Catherine Tate play their roles to the hilt here, and it's also nice to see Donna have an independent story away from the Doctor for most of the episode. Tate's approach is very different to what we've seen before as she deftly plays a woman whose assumed life spirals out of control when she is forced to realize it is all a computer-generated lie. There is an absolutely gut-wrenching moment when her children suggest to her that they're not real- followed by their immediate disappearance. Steven Moffat taps into one of the most primal fears a parent has- that of the disappearance of their child and their inability to keep them safe from harm- and it's a real sucker-punch of emotion in an episode full of them. Tate's interplay with Talulah Riley is also very good (and its nice to see Miss Evangelista as something other than a pretty but vacuous and incompetent piece of skirt). Tennant similarly impresses in an episode where the Doctor is by turns angry, upset and- by the end- completely mournful. The final scene between him and Alex Kingston is an absolute masterclass by both of them. It certainly had me in tears as the truth of their relationship (or what it one day could be) is revealed. The moment where she whispers in his ear and he looks absolutely stricken is ideal and it's only right that we never hear the words she says. To know the Doctor's name would be to render his entire mystique null and void.

Alex Kingston plays an absolute blinder as River, especially in that last scene before she sacrifices herself. The woman who the Doctor loves, perhaps even the woman that the Doctor marries (for all intents and purposes, that appears to be the suggestion) is ballsy and forthright- I particularly loved the cheeky grin when he asks why she has handcuffs. Steve Pemberton also impresses as Lux, his character developed from the slightly pompous and officious man portrayed in the first episode. The secret reveal about CAL is nicely played and his performance as he explains who CAL really is is very tender. Talulah Riley is also good as the wiser Miss Evangelista, explaining to Donna the lie about their world, and Jessika Williams gets a shout-out for her emotive and nicely underplayed performance as Anita (again, given more to do and keeping her dignity even in her walking death).

There is precious little to criticize within this episode. Everything hangs together very nicely, all loose ends are tied up (well, pretty much) and for once- once in a rare time- everybody lives. Another amazing script from Steven Moffat and nicely directed by Euros Lyn, this is a shining example of how good the production team are. In the words of the Doctor, molto bene!
  • A rare perfect 10 from me!

SPOILER

Excellent conclusion to this 2 parter. Loved it all. Didnt get a chance to pause for breath. So much going on, every scene leading logically to the next seemlessly and with purpose.

The story is picks up from where it left off and builds on it, with a not so surprising conclusion - but one that was exciting nonetheless. An excellent example of scripting and screenplay.

Throughly enjoyed this 2nd part and especially the ending where everything all does come together. The ending did leave me with the question of whether or not Anita (IIRC) actually lived as the Dr.'s future wife, or if she was merely married to him in the future within CAL?! Quite a paradox there, which was not explained. Wonder if anyone else noticed.

Do not miss these 2parters!
  • These are our Forest's, they are our Meat

This has been the greatest 2 parter of New Doctor Who ever. I'm so glad that Steven Moffat is taking over the running of the show from 2010 because he definitely has the creativeness to keep it on track.

The interesting thing is these episodes were like cheese and crackers - completely different to one another but put them together and they fit perfectly. Neither are a perfect 10 but they are both pretty close and the only thing I had a problem with in the second episode was that I wasn't clear on where the Vashta Nerada went.

As with the best episodes of Doctor Who a lot of time is spent on the characters and the introduction of River Song is a very interesting way to do that. It's never clear who she is but it's obvious she may have been/is to be his wife. The comment from Strackman Lux about squabbling like an old couple even seems to put the idea in The Doctor's mind, nevermind the fact that she knows his real name. Either way it's something that I look forward to being developed in the future. There are a lot of post-modern references in this episode as well with the constant use of the word 'Spoilers', a virus checker disguised as a moon, channel flicking and the idea of saving to the computer.

'And then, you remembered'

Whereas the first episode was creepy with an unseen monster and surprisingly set mainly in one room this one goes more for the heartstrings. It's disturbing how Donna's virtual Second life falls apart and this is the highlight for me of a already great episode. The relationship between the Doctor and Professor Song being a parallel to her life inside the computer. When your kids disappear right after they have came to the revelation that they themselves don't exist it's disturbing and upsetting to watch. Lines like 'Even when you close your eyes, we just stop' hits the point. If they hadn't already been scared of the reveal of Miss Evangelista's face then Kids will have been sh*t scared at that. I know I felt the emotion from Catherine Tate's performance. Even when she is out she isn't happy as she can't find her virtual husband Lee McAvoy who is the perfect person for her. When he sees her and he can't call out it was a sad moment.

I'd just like to mention little details I enjoyed such as The Doctor's secret of always staying near the door, Donna's natural reaction when she received the note from Miss Evangelista, calling her a 'nutter' and CAL being a computer's initials, this time for the little girl Charlotte Abigail Lux. Also the story from River Song about The Doctor clicking his finger's to open the door then trying it and it working was cheesy but worked and did anybody notice the suit combination the Doctor wore was the same as in 'The Planet of the Ood' - maybe they wanted you to think back to that episode and the quote 'Your Song must end soon'. Was it a reference to River Song by any chance?

Lastly the musical score should get special mention as it worked a treat and unlike some episodes this season complimented rather than drowned out the performances and action. The shift from the virtual to the real world and the electronic sound accompanying it was a major thing that stood out for me.
  • PART TWO: There are too many spoilers

The Doctor has saved Donna by sending her to the Tardis. She is then saved into CAL's memory. The Doctor then believes that River Song is someone he can trust as she whispers a secret to him. The Doctor talks to the dead Proper Dave and finds out the books in the library each have spores of the Vashta Nerada inside, which then kill Other Dave and the other girl. River knocks out the Doctor so she dies to save everyone that was saved into CAL's memory. All of the people are saved and The Doctor realises he gave River the sonic screwdriver to save her memory into it, and he saves River.
  • How many times can YOU say "Spoilers" in one episode?

Yes, it's a little predictable. Yes, the 'Everybody lives' bit is just like the end of The Doctor Dances. And no, we don't find out who River Song really is. But does this detract from how good this episode is? No, it doesn't. For the fourth series in a row, Steven Moffat has proved that he can write fantastic Doctor Who episodes, and I cannot wait until he takes over from Russel T Davies. The cast are great, the CGI superb, and the storytelling does everything it can to be unique and varied. This is exactly why I watch this show, and in a disappointingly average series so far, Silence in the Library and Forest of the Dead have killed the negative feelings about Doctor Who I was beginning to build up. These two episodes are head and shoulders above everything else so far, and hopefully Mr Moffat will continue to deliver. He has, after all, written the best episodes of every series so far.
  • On perhaps several levels, Steven Moffat shows us the shape of things to come.

I was moved by the last episode, Silence in the Library, because it was so damn creative, so much better than most everything else out there. For the first 20 or so minutes, while I was enjoying this episode, I thought "where's the creative inventions that littered the first episode?" Then the resolutions started rolling in:

How to escape the cliffhanger from last episode?
    Who the girl in the computer is?/Who is CAL?
    Where did the inhabitants go?
    What happened to Donna?
    What's with the sonic screwdriver? And yet other things didn't get revealed:

What's the Doctor's relationship with River Song?
    What's the Doctor's name?

Will these questions be answered? Maybe. Moffat shows great understanding in that idea that a writer should give the audience what they need; not necessarily what they want. He luxuriates in the fantastic, defying our expectations up to the end. Yeah, I guessed the library was "saving" the lost persons. Not everything has to be a total twist. And yeah, Moffat does tend towards abstract villains (nanoparticles, machines, time eating statues, and carnivorous dust) and twice now has "nobody dies" endings. That's okay, because while you are reacting to these things, Moffat has moved on and invented something new that you've never seen or never seen coming and that's yet absolutely perfect, such as "She knows my name." If Moffat invests in Season 5 half the creativity and humanity as these two episodes, we are in for a treat--let's hope the other writers get inspired. Unlike Coupling or The West Wing, Dr. Who isn't a one man show. What Russell T Davies has lacked in some individual episodes, he's more than made up by being an outstanding showrunner--someone with vision for each character, episode, and (most impressively) season.
  • Brilliant! The best episode of the series so far!

Now this is why I watch the show!
    Exiting, misterious, emotional, and the plot just keeps on getting better!

The first part was kind of average (silence in the library), but then the second one (forest of the dead) just blows you away.
    I laughed, I cried, thank god no one came in to see me cuz they would think i was going crazy.

What happens to Donna?
    What is the Doctors name?
    Is Song his wife? Who is she?

Keep watching...soon we will find out.

Until then, we just have to wonder and maybe ask ourselves:

What would have happened if Captain Jack was there and he kept getting eaten by the Vashta Nerada? :)
  • Moffat's imagination thrills us again... Well, not as much as The Empty Child/Blink did it, at least for me, but still it was probably one of the best episodes of series 4!

The two parts that Moffat created were nice adventures, emtertaining, twisted a bit. But they still lacked sth. I am not sure what but i think it was Moffat himself, his genuine touch that we were used to. Where were those clever lines, smart jokes etc. Not that this episode wasn't a great piece but it still felt different. Maybe because the series so far didn't provide those incredible episodes we are all craving for. We put a great part of our expectations on Mr Moffat's Sinlence in the Library/Forest of the Dead and yet they fell short of mine. I still think he'll make it up for that now that he'll become the leading "hand" in the show. Hope so!
  • SO F***NG AMAZING

I must say the Dr Who writers really REALLY outdid themselves this time around. This episode have everything i like about this series.. the sci-fi, the drama, the adventure, the suspense and of course the doctor never ending cleverness.
    Also we were given an inside of the character that's Donna Noble(i must admit i wasn't exactly thrilled when they paired the doctor with her this season, but that's changing) like no other episode before and on top of that it gave us a glimpse at the possible future of the doctor. I didn't even know he had a name, he was always just the doctor.. ok, ok... they didn't actually mentioned his name but at least now we know he has one.
    Can't wait to see what they come up with next week.
  • River's Run Written by Steven Moffat Directed by Euros Lyn

The Doctor (to Vashta Nerada): "Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I liked. That is not a very safe place to stand".

Last week gave us one of the best cliff hangers in any show and this week goes to great lengths to prove that this storyline justified being a two parter as opposed to a regular episode.

As The Doctor and River come to the horrible realisation that Donna is a Node the first thing they have to do is get away from an advancing Proper Dave. He's still repeating the whole "who turned out the lights" spiel but the question remains – is Donna actually dead?

The Girl mentioned that Donna had been saved and clearly she wasn't wrong. No fewer than three minutes into the episode we see The Girl watching Donna's life unfold on the television and to be fair, it's a decent take on It's A Wonderful Life as you can get.

First Donna gets sectioned and then two years passes. Doctor Moon asks her if she's still seeing The Doctor and TARDIS and before she can properly comprehend her surroundings, Doctor Moon is speeding everything up by simple stating things.

In a matter of seconds Donna goes for a walk, meets a bumbling but sweet man named Lee, goes on a date with him, gets married and has two children named Ella and Joshua. It's the wackiest bout of speed dating I've ever seen on TV but the speediness is a deliberate take on most TV shows going from A to B without being married to the script so to speak.

Not to be ageist, but I can't see this different life altogether happening with Rose or Martha. Had it been Rose, I'd expect a version of the Buffy episode "Normal Again" and with Martha, she's probably be an abrasive UNIT soldier but this story actually plays to Catherine Tate's strengths as an actress.

Although we know good and proper that this new life of Donna's is a total lie we still have to believe that Donna totally buys into it. We especially have to believe that when she starts getting clues that her perfect world isn't real.

If Doctor Moon correcting her and speeding up time wasn't enough, then there's Donna getting a brief glimpse of The Doctor in her living room. Of course it's not just The Doctor that poses the threat of Donna's world being exposed as a lie. A certain girl still isn't quite so dead after all.

When Lee picks up an unusual letter, Donna decides to go and meet the person behind it. Doing this in the park is the strangest of all places but the person is Miss Evangelista. Death may have increased her intelligence but it's seriously damaged whatever fashion sense she might have had too.

Dressed like a creepy Victorian lady, Miss Evangelista is making it her mission to prove to Donna that this world isn't real. Donna isn't exactly keen to embrace such an idea but given the amount of inconsistencies that surrounds her world, she's not as resistant to Miss Evangelista's warnings either.

The fact that she also still remembers key moments from the library makes it easier for Miss Evangelista but even though Donna knows the dead girl is telling the truth, she still doesn't want to believe that Lee, Ella and Joshua are not real.

In fact she goes out of her way to try and keep her children by her side but when even Ella begins to realise that herself and Joshua only exist around Donna, there's not much that Donna can do to stop them disappearing from them. Again while this world is totally fabricated you do feel for Donna.

Even when she's desperately trying to keep Lee and loses him, there's still an impact in that performance from Catherine Tate. That being said, I still want Donna in the real world as opposed to the fantasy setting she got to explore.

The Doctor meanwhile also had his fair share of problems. Without Donna, he had no choice but to trust River and even then he was still resistant to her. It even got to the point where Lux made a comment about the two of them behaving like a married couple.

That's the thing – a part of me did wonder if River was that intimately involved with The Doctor. Judging by her reaction, while her and The Doctor might have an incredibly close relationship it would appear that they aren't married. Still I want some answers and with the word "spoiler" being tossed around virtually every five seconds, this episode didn't reveal all that much.

When it comes to the Vashta Nerada, the only thing we really learned was that they came from the library planet. The Doctor managed to wrangle that out of Proper Dave but the menacing creatures managed to kill both Other Dave and Anita in the story. Their creepiness is still wonderfully retained though this episode seemed to focus more on River, Donna and The Girl rather than the Vashta Nerada.

The Girl and Doctor Moon's part in this episode comes across as the real surprise in the whole episode. Doctor Moon comes across as something so morally ambiguous that even in this episode you still don't know if he's trying to protect both The Girl and Donna or if he's out to hurt them.

It seems that by distracting them, he's out to protect them but when The Girl starts freaking out during Donna and Miss Evangelista's conversation in the park, there's little else that he can actually do. It also doesn't help that the library itself suddenly becomes in danger as well.

It's around this time that Lux actually steps up and contributes to the plot. He's been evasive over the whole CAL thing because it's real identity is The Girl. To be honest I kinda guessed that part and I'm also not too surprised that The Girl is related to Lux too. That being said it does make his motives for getting into the library all that more interesting than before.

With 4022 people to release, The Doctor has to be the one to do it but it seems that River has other ideas. The Doctor might have gotten the Vashta Nerada to give him one day to fix everything but his future companion isn't quite so generous and decides to take matters into her own hands.

Knocking him out and handcuffing him to a railing, there's a fantastic set of scenes between Alex Kingston and David Tennant. River proved earlier on that she really did know The Doctor by whispering his name and now she's convinced that their meeting meant that he knew all along that she would have to sacrifice herself.

For a character that's only been in two episodes and may very well never be seen on this show in the immediate future, it's a credit to both Steven Moffat and Alex Kingston to how well River works as a character. Her sacrifice is poignant if not actually tear jerking and because of it, everyone is released.

The last few minutes of this episode has a similar harking that "The Doctor Dances" did. River might be gone but with so many people actually saved and the Vashta Nerada no longer a threat, there's a big emphasis on everyone getting to live as well.

The Doctor manages to repay River when he figures out that her sonic screwdriver actually saved a part of her. Locked in a safer version of that alternative world, River gets to live out the rest of her days with Ella, Joshua, Charlotte, Doctor Moon, Anita, Miss Evangelista, Other Dave and Proper Dave.

Whether or not this can be construed as some form of a heaven is entirely up to you as a viewer. I wouldn't think it is but River seemed to be happy enough at the end. She got to be a hero and she made sure that she left a lasting impression on The Doctor that precedes her own.

However there is one other thorny issue and that's The Doctor and Donna. Donna may not have found her Lee in the real world but her conversation with River is playing on her mind. After all, River didn't exactly state where Donna factored in the future and if I were Donna I would worry.

There is a funny moment when Donna is telling The Doctor about her perfect man and The Doctor does forget himself. Seeing them bond over something like that is great. Donna's really come into her own as a character and her friendship with The Doctor has easily strengthened more too.

The annoying thing is both her and The Doctor had an opportunity to get some answers on that. Look Steven Moffat can be opposed to spoilers all he wants but there are some things that if I were either The Doctor or Donna, I'd want to know in advance. Some things just should be spoiled.

At the very least I was sort of hoping that even if The Doctor and Donna resisted the urge to spoil themselves, then we as viewers could get some insight as to what is happening. It's common knowledge that Rose, the Daleks and Davros (more or less) are seconds away from re-entering The Doctor's life. Surely we could've gotten just the tiniest of peeks to that, right.

Also in "Forest Of The Dead"

The original title for this episode was supposed to be "River's Run" but Steven Moffat changed it at the last minute.

Donna: "Doctor Moon, I'm sorry. I didn't know you for a minute".
    Doctor Moon: "And then you remembered".

Is it me or did Donna wear the same dress when she married Lee that she also wore when she was going to marry Lance in "The Runaway Bride"?

Donna: "I saw The Doctor".
    Doctor Moon" Yes you did Donna and then you forgot".

Anita (re The Doctor): "You say he's your friend but he doesn't know who you are".
    River: "Listen all you need to know is this. I trust that man to the end of the universe and actually, we've been".

Steven Moffat mentioned in Doctor Who Confidential that the characters of Ella and Joshua were named after his son and the son's friend.

River: "Doctor one day I am going to be someone you trust completely but I can't for you to find that out, so I'm going to prove it to you and I'm sorry. I'm really very sorry. Are we good? Doctor are we good?"
    The Doctor: "Yeah, we're good".
    River: "Good".

Donna: "Is that a letter?"
    Lee: "No, it's Midnight".
    Donna: "Go see what it is".

It's funny that the title for the next episode "Midnight" gets so casually mentioned. Then again "Turn Left" was mentioned in "The Sontaran Stratagem".

Donna: "How do you know me?"
    Miss Evangelista: "We met in the library. You were kind to me and now I hope to return that kindness".

River (to Anita): "The Doctor's here. He came when I called him just like he always does. But not my Doctor".

I should've mentioned this last week but River's got the same sonic blaster that Captain Jack had in Season One. Come to think of it, she's a bit like a female Jack as well.

The Doctor: "Can I get you anything?"
    Anita: "An old age perhaps".

Miss Evangelista (to Donna): "I have two qualities to see the absolute truth. I am brilliant and unloved".

One of the original rumours circling the internet was that Donna did read some of the spoilers in a book. Pity we didn't get a little glimpse.

Ella: "Mummy, Joshua and me, we're not real, are we?"
    Donna: "Of course you're real. Why would you say that?"

Anita: "Computers don't dream".
    Lux: "No but little girls dream".

CAL – Charlotte Abigail Lux and one of Lux's aunts. He did mention that Charlotte was a dying daughter of his grandfather.

Anita/Vashta Nerada: "How long have you known?"
    The Doctor: "I counted the shadows. She only has one".

River: "If you die here then it was like I've never met you".
    The Doctor: "Time can be rewritten".

The Doctor Who Confidential for this episode was rather good. I liked the brief appearance from John Barrowman halfway through it as well.

Donna: "I made up the perfect man. Gorgeous, adores me, never said a word. What does that say about me?"
    The Doctor: "Everything".

Next week's episode "Midnight" is at the later time. We're getting so close to the end now.

As follow ups go, this was perfect. "Forest Of The Dead" was a good way of resolving everything that had appeared in this episode but with the overuse of the word 'spoiler', would it have killed Steven Moffat to have given us a little peek of what was in River's diary?
  • I thought this was overall an excellent two parter, the mystery, the drama and the humour ....

I loved this episode and the first part before it. It was just so good to have a mystery, I found myself really interested in everything, what was the Vashta Nerada? who was River Song? How is this all happening, how is the little girl related to the library? This all made it such a brilliant watch.

The cliff-hanger in the first part really left me wanting more, 'Donna Noble has been saved' just seeing her face on that thing really made it for me. We were left thinking Donna is dead and how will The Doctor and River escape the Vashta Nerada. River presence is just interesting in general, she knows so much but there 'spoilers'.

I mean when she whispered the word in his ear, I was like, I need to know what you just said! It turned out she knew his real name, another thing I'd love to know. I liked Donna's part, being in another world, how she started to realise, Miss Evangelista appeared again, trying to tell her the truth, her face was creepy.

I thought it was great how The Doctor finally spoke to the enemy and discovered that the books were the source. The ending for me was brilliant, River sacrificed herself but we knew we'd see her again, but then The Doctor gets it and saves her. It was nice to see River and her team together, safe.

Plus Donna's other world husband, she thought he wasn't real but he turns out to be there but can't speak, how sad is that. Then The Doctor does as River said he could, he opens the tardis with a click of his fingers. Brilliant acting from both David Tennant and Catherine Tate, Alex Kingston was also great as River Song, who I hope we see again at some point.

Still I'm left wondering, what will happen to Donna and how do River and The Doctor meet? Excellent episode and two parter.
  • Disappointingly obvious (contains 'spoilers' - lol)

6.9
    In Dr Who Confidential after 'silence in the library', Russell T Davies said something along the lines of 'no-one will be able to guess what happens next'.

So I was hopeful. Hopeful that the little girl wasn't the computer, that 'saved' didn't mean in the computer sense, that Donna wouldn't suddenly find herself in the world of the little girl, that the books themselves wouldn't turn out to be the source of the shadows and that the doctor wouldn't find some excruciatingly implausible way to speak to them to get them all out of trouble.

Unfortunately I was wrong on all counts. The conclusion of this two-parter held absolutely no surprises, no twists and very little character development. We don't really find out much more about Professor Song. There was no explanation as to why Cal got upset about Donna becoming self-aware. And the episode played out almost utterly predictably. It was mildly entertaining, but could have been so much more.

This story should have been a single episode - not a two part - and Moffat should have considered the inherent obviousness of the word 'saved' as a plot device. A generation gap problem perhaps - as 'saved' to anyone under 40 immediately implies 'on the big computer' much more than 'from the bad guys'.
  • Everybody Lives! Steven Moffat does it again.

The Empty Child, The Doctor Dances, The Girl in the Fireplace, Blink and now Silence in the Library and Forest of the Dead. Steven Moffat has done it again, another classic new-who episode. Moffat has written, arguably, the best Doctor Who scripts since the series revival. Heavily featuring blood chilling enemies, exciting cliffhangers and good story telling.

This Episode is no diffrent to any of those became before him, last year i was thinking that it would be difficult to top the episode of Blink, but Moffat has done it. This Series has gone from strength to strength and can easily become the best series to date, and with Moffat becoming show runner for Doctor Who, the series can easily go to new highs.

This episode has a superb storyline, right from the off, if your not paying attention you'll miss important details which will leave you sat wondering later on "when did that happen?"

The Doctor is left to watch hopelessly as 'Professor Song' gives her life to save the library, and those inside, until The Doctor makes the connection with her sonic screwdriver.

Hopefully With Steven Moffat at the helm of Doctor Who, the series can get even better; with David Tennants amazing acting as the Doctor there is no stopping what this show can do.

This episode greatly propels the series towards the exciting conclusion which will hopefully top series 3's with the Master.
  • My favourite episode of DOCTOR WHO since the series began again in 2005.

At the end of "Silence In The Library" we were left with the possibility that Donna was now dead, whilst The Doctor and his new allies were running for their lives amongst the corridors of The Library pursued by a fleshless corpse infected by the ghastly Vashta Narada. Writer Stephen Moffat builds on the mysteries presented during "Silence In The Library" and manages to deliver the answers to all of that episode's questions whilst making it all look so very easy. One of the problems with the new version of DOCTOR WHO is that many of the episodes have featured plots which were relatively uncomplicated and didn't really force the audience to think. What made me appreciate both "Silence In The Library" and "Forest Of The Dead" is that the audience is challenged to keep up. What is the connection between the scenes in the futuristic Library where The Doctor is struggling to keep everyone alive and the scenes with the young girl being treated by Doctor Moon? Why does River Song have a sonic screwdriver? Who is Cal? Where did everyone in The Library go? Why is the Vashta Narada even in The Library?

With several strong emotional beats throughout the episode, a dramatic climax that is perfectly executed and answers which are completely satisfying, "Forest Of The Dead" emerges as perhaps the finest episode since this series returned in 2005. Amongst its many charms was also something quite important - The Doctor is, much like the audience, forced to actually think. Moffat understands that this is one of the most intelligent characters in television history and utilises this perfectly. Even though he is under pressure and struggling to keep his small band of allies alive, The Doctor is continually searching for answers to what is happening around him and devising solutions to problems. And, as the answers emerge, the audience begins to realise just how cleverly written this two-parter has been.

If you've never seen a single episode of DOCTOR WHO, you might want to check out "Silence In The Library" and "Forest Of The Dead" to see just how good this television show can be.
  • it was ok but

this episode was better than the first have of it however still think t was laking in a lot of things, i just didn't find it origanal or intertaing. i mean don't get me wrong it was a brilliant episode and i love doctor who, but this episode just didn't strick my presional fansy. i found this episode more enerjectice rthan the first part but with there being two seperate story lines i just found it boring and i like chatherine tate don't get me wrong she just was not very good in this episode i thought. hopefully it will be better next week and then after that rose is back and i can't wait.
  • Could be considered quite a soppy predictable episode.

I must admit that I have seen better Doctor Who episodes, don't get me wrong, I still loved it. But there were some things that I realised long before the Doctor did. That really shouldn't happen. It was rather touching that the Doctor managed to 'save' River Song. But still, it left me unsatisfied, I am so used to Moffat's plot twists and turns that I expected more from him. Donna shone in this episode, while she did do a lot of screaming I enjoyed her little side story which she was 'saved'. The Doctor cried over River, but I knew that she was going to 'die' I don't know why, I just did. I want to know the Doctor's name. Despite the predictability of this episode I must admit that I did enjoy it, the ending was a tad soppy but lovely none the less. I loved the way the Doctor clicked his fingers to open the TARDIS doors at the end, though a tad clichéd it was very cute. He looked so very proud of himself. It was nice to have an episode where the Doctor and Donna didn't have to tell those around them that they weren't a couple, because that is getting rather old. Looking forward to next weeks episode, although it looks like it will be virtually Donna free. Not much else to say, other than it could have been so much better. Can't wait for next week- Midnight.
  • With the Doctor and co. still in the library, Donna finds herself in a strange dream world. A confusing but fair conclusion to the story...

Well, where to begin... After last week's great episode, here is the conclusion that tries to explain... well, not EVERYTHING, but to wrap things up.

There is a lot going on in this episode, and a lot of talky explanations. I think it is one of those stories that needs viewing a second time (at least) to fully get the gist of things.

I think modern 'Who' works very well with two-part episodes, as it gives room for a lot more scope, and allows from that staple of vintage-era 'Who', the cliffhanger. I did find myself thinking at several points of this story, that maybe it would have even benefited from being a three-parter, as I did feel in places that things were rather rushed and jumbled; A third part might have allowed for a clearer conclusion. But that probably wouldn't fit in with modern 'Who's template.

There were several quite scary moments in this episode, although as a whole I didn't find it as memorably scary as part one.

Donna's sub-plot is interesting, and Catherine Tate is more than capable of carrying it, although the sudden time jumps won't be anything new to anyone who's seen the third season 'Futurama' episode 'Time Keeps on Slipping'.

I think, like many two-part episodes (both in sci-fi and television in general), it has a lot to live up to in explaining and wrapping up everything. It does the job, but there's an awful lot to take in.
  • Oh, my word - a decent second half. Next you'll be saying that Rose is coming back soon...what? She is?

And there we go...another two part Doctor Who story is over. And, let me just say - it was the best 2-parter since season 1's "Empty Child"/"Doctor Dances". It was fantastic.

The episode continues the Doctor's war against the shadow monsters the Vashta Narada. Donna is apparently dead, too. But it turns out, she's actually trapped inside a virtual world. So, the Doctor and River Song have to save her, and everyone else who "mysteriously disappeared" a hundred years ago (they're in the computer too).

If River is set to return in the future of Doctor Who, then let me be the first to say - YAY!!! She is a fantastic character, and her heroic death in this episode proves that she is on par with the Doctor, in parallel to Rose and Donna (and Cow Features....I mean, Martha) who aren't so much a parallel, but a contrast to ground the Doctor in humanity.

The monsters are creepy as hell in this episode. In fact, they stand on high with all the creepiest monsters in the new series. Ironically, all the scariest monsters were invented by Stephen Moffat...who is now in charge of the programme (starting in 2010). If this is a sign of what is to come in the future then...YAY!!! The show may return to it's roots, and become a "hide behind the sofa" affair.

The twist in the story - that everyone was "saved" into the computer rather than made "safe" by the computer is very believable within the story. And the scenes in which Donna just misses her really real virtual husband were heartbreaking to say the least.

Now...there were no Rose references in this episode. Which is a shame. River would surely know, and I did hope that "Rose" was what she whispered to the Doctor. But the idea of the Doctor's true name could either be the greatest idea in the history of the show - or the worst idea anyone has ever had.

But, anyway, this episode was awesome. The next episode looks a big "meh", but hopefully it comes off well as well. I'm very excited. Rose is back in two weeks!!!

10/10
  • A decent resolution to this story.

Last week left us off on quite a cliffhanger. We find out here, that Donna had not died, she was instead downloaded into the computer. Some of the scenes within the computer were a bit rushed, but i suppose they had to be in order to fit in all the content in the episode. Frankly the explanation for the vashan nevada was rather lame. pretty much some aliens that were born here and wanted to feed of some humans. The ending to the episode was pretty good though with the doctor saving river song's life by downloading her into the computer. There's still a lot of unanswered questions about her though.