Doctor Who Forums

Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC AmericaIn Season

50th Anniversary

50th Anniversary

archangelwho

[1]Jul 6, 2012
    • level: 18

Any hopes, dreams or not a big deal.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

dragon22a

[2]Jul 7, 2012
    • level: 32

The 50th anniversary should definitely be a multi-doctor story. Matt Smith has said that he will be the Doctor for the 50th so I would like to see him team up with some of predecessors. I would prefer not to recast any of the late doctors. For me, I would choose to have the 7th, 8th, 9th, and 10th doctors join the 11th for the adventure in a sort of five doctors part 2.

I omit the 6th doctor for a number of reasons. Many people were not a fan of his incarnation. But the real reason for not including him is thatColin Bakerlooks so different than he did when he played the role. Peter Davison looks older for sure, but he still looks like his Doctor, especially in costume . Colin Baker has not aged as well and just cannot even pass for the Doctor. However, McCoy still looks nearly the same as he did when he last played the role in 1995 for the tv-movie. Paul McGann also looks the same and obviously Eccelston and Tennant look the same as they did when they played the Doctor.

As for who they could face. You could go with the Daleks but that would be a bit easy since they have them in every season. We have been teased about the return of an old foe before so I think the special would be a perfect time to mark the return of Omega or the Black Guardian, villains that are dangerous enough to require the laws of time to be broken and for the previous doctors to be brought together.

archangelwho

[3]Jul 8, 2012

Therearesome reasons I disagree withleaving out Colin Baker. One he shouild not have to suffer for things done by the production team. And if you watch the DVD extras and listen to him on the DVD commentaries he really loves the show and even after the way he has been treated he has done more for the show in later years than some of the others. He has done much more for us fans than we ever done for him.I would hate to see the poor treatment of him continue by not allowing him to be part of the 50th anniversary. He maybe more then any of the others has earn the right. The real fans can over look his ageing. I do agree they should not recast those who have passed. I feel that was a mistake in the 5 Doctors. If they can work in a clip or 2 of each fine but don't recast.

archangelwho

[4]Jul 20, 2012

I just hope they find some way to remember some of those who have passed. If not in the story maybe as a DVD extra. William Hartnell, Patrick Troughton, Jon Pertwee, Ian Marter, John Nathan-Turner, Elisabeth Sladen, Anthony Ainley, Nicholas Courtney, Roger Delgada, Jacqueline Hill and Douglas Adams are a few that need to be remembered some way.

steamheaduk

[5]Jul 25, 2012
    • level: 19
    There is rumour of a period docu-drama being made covering the period around the creation of the series.

archangelwho

[6]Jul 25, 2012

I have read reports that Eccleston has stated that he would not take part in the 50th program. I know it has been reported that he has nothing to do with Doctor Who. Has Eccleston become like Tom Baker where he thinks he is the show and just refuse to accept the fact that others can play the Doctor? I listen on the DVD extras where the other actors talk about the change in Tom Baker where he goes from being very grateful for the role to thinking he was bigger than the show. I know both left with from hurt feeling and don't believe that they were treated very well but don't you owe the fans if not the production team?

angeleys151

[7]Jul 26, 2012
    • level: 6

I thought Eccelston had only planned on one year from day one. I didn't realize there were bad feelings, it's disappointing when egos get in the way of the work.

archangelwho

[8]Jul 26, 2012

angeleys151 wrote:

I thought Eccelston had only planned on one year from day one. I didn't realize there were bad feelings, it's disappointing when egos get in the way of the work.

I have read it both ways. I have read that he and Russell T. Davies did not get alone and it is that relationship that has lead to his ill feeling. If true it still has nothing to do with the fans. I have also heard the one year deal but from the DVD extras he does an interview where, if I remember correctly, that he does not know how long he would play the Doctor. I will have to go back and check it.

archangelwho

[9]Jul 26, 2012

Some fans seem to be worried about age, hair lostand weight of the 1963-1989 cast.I just don't think that age, hair lostand weight will be that big of a deal for the real fan. I have no problem over looking both. I just want to see them together for what most likely be the last time for most of them.

dragon22a

[10]Jul 27, 2012

Colin Baker himself has stated that he looks too old to play the part again but would return if the role was large enough. You can check out the interview here http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Whats-on-leisure/Choice/Colin-Baker-time-gentleman-04072012.htm

There may be a way to explain his age though that is a bit easier than what they did in Time Crash. We never really saw the sixth doctors final adventures. We see him leave after trial on gallifrey to returnMel to her timeline (she was a futureversion ofthe one he was meant to meet and travel with like River is)and the next we see him he is face down in the Tardis with the proper Mel. Years could have taken place between those events, and did in the audio plays. So perhaps Colin playing the role now would not be too out of the question as long he has the hair and the costume which is we see when he regenerates.

As for Eccleston, he has stated that he hadmixed feelings about his tenure and did not like the way he and the rest of the cast was treated. However, this is a new crew and production staff now that Moffat took over. Maybe if they showed him that things would be different this time around he would be willing to take part in the special if only in a small way.

If an anniversary is going to take place, would you want companions to be involved? If so, who?

angeleys151

[11]Jul 29, 2012
    archangelwho wrote:

Some fans seem to be worried about age, hair lostand weight of the 1963-1989 cast.I just don't think that age, hair lostand weight will be that big of a deal for the real fan. I have no problem over looking both. I just want to see them together for what most likely be the last time for most of them.

They could explain it the way they did in the Children in Need Special when 10 rattled off something and said (I'm paraphrasing) but that's cause I'm around, it should snap back as soon as we split up.
    I mean this is a science fantasy show I'm sure they could explain it some how.

archangelwho

[12]Jul 29, 2012

dragon22a wrote:

If an anniversary is going to take place, would you want companions to be involved? If so, who?

They would have made a great fan's choice poll but time is running out. Unsure if there wouldbe enough time now. This will take some thinking. I just don't want any recasting for those who have pass away.

dragon22a

[13]Jul 31, 2012

I do suppose that having companions involved might make things a bit tight. Say you do have Colin Baker through Matt Smith, that is 6 doctors already. Throw in a villain and having companions for each of the doctors may be a bit much. It would be nice to see them though. The older ones could be taken from present day so age would not be a problem.

For Smith, I suppose that the new companion, I believe they are calling her Clara, would be his.
    For Tenant, I would go with Donna or Captain Jack
    For Eccleston, Rose Tyler
    For McGann, you could go with Grace from themovie or one of the companions from the audio adventures
    For McCoy, Ace
    For Baker, I would go with Mel since not very many of her adventures were depicted with him.

archangelwho

[14]Aug 1, 2012

There is no way they could do it in one episode even 2 would be pushing it. But how could you have a 50th without the old cast?

dragon22a

[15]Aug 2, 2012

I would hope that the 50th anniversary would be a mini-series. 3-5 parts shown on consecutive nights would do nicely like they did with Torchwood: Children of Earth. But this should be in addition to a standard 13 episode order rather than folded into the normal series. I understand that budget is a concern though. It may mean that if we were to get a mini-series we may have to settle for a number of specials instead of a normal season.

steamheaduk

[16]Aug 3, 2012

dragon22a wrote:

I would hope that the 50th anniversary would be a mini-series. 3-5 parts shown on consecutive nights would do nicely like they did with Torchwood: Children of Earth. But this should be in addition to a standard 13 episode order rather than folded into the normal series. I understand that budget is a concern though. It may mean that if we were to get a mini-series we may have to settle for a number of specials instead of a normal season.

We are only getting the remainder of season 7 and the specials in 2013, season 8 won't be broadcast until 2014 (though it hasn't beencommissioned as such yet).

steamheaduk

[17]Aug 3, 2012

dragon22a wrote:

I do suppose that having companions involved might make things a bit tight. Say you do have Colin Baker through Matt Smith, that is 6 doctors already. Throw in a villain and having companions for each of the doctors may be a bit much. It would be nice to see them though. The older ones could be taken from present day so age would not be a problem.

For Smith, I suppose that the new companion, I believe they are calling her Clara, would be his.
    For Tenant, I would go with Donna or Captain Jack
    For Eccleston, Rose Tyler
    For McGann, you could go with Grace from themovie or one of the companions from the audio adventures
    For McCoy, Ace
    For Baker, I would go with Mel since not very many of her adventures were depicted with him.

The Eighth Doctor would have to be accompanied by Lucy "Piggin" Miller, by far the best companion never to grace the screen.

archangelwho

[18]Aug 3, 2012

dragon22a wrote:

I like the idea of a moni-series.As for the budget maybe I'm too much of a fan but I feel that a 50th show with a good mix of old 1963-1989 & 2005 -2012 cast would be such a money maker that getting the money to make it would not be a problem. I figure the biggest problem would be timeand other projects the cast would be taking part in.

angeleys151

[19]Aug 23, 2012
    archangelwho wrote:

dragon22a wrote:

I like the idea of a moni-series.As for the budget maybe I'm too much of a fan but I feel that a 50th show with a good mix of old 1963-1989 & 2005 -2012 cast would be such a money maker that getting the money to make it would not be a problem. I figure the biggest problem would be timeand other projects the cast would be taking part in.

I agree to both, there should be some specials, and with the right marketing: special edition action figures, start a bidding war for the commercials aired, sell tix for special screenings like they do for the season premires, and DVD sales, I don't see why they shouldn't be able to raise the budget and make it work. Of all the shows on TV right now, this one has the fan base to make it work. As I type this though I am getting pangs of guilt about asking them to basically sell out...I would still totally buy into it all though.

Oh and finding out that season 8 won't air until 2014 is giving me heart palpitations.

angeleys151

[20]Aug 25, 2012

I just saw the interview John Barrowman did with Matt, Karen and Arthur at Comic-Con and all I can think is if they do a 50th Capt. Jack had better be a part of it!