Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC AmericaBetween Seasons

50th Anniversary

50th Anniversary

steamheaduk

[21]Aug 27, 2012
    • level: 19

angeleys151 wrote:
    start a bidding war for the commercials aired

Though that particular option isn't open to the BBC as a route to raising funds.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

angeleys151

[22]Aug 30, 2012
    • level: 6
    steamheaduk wrote:

angeleys151 wrote:
    start a bidding war for the commercials aired

Though that particular option isn't open to the BBC as a route to raising funds.

I forgot. Can they do it for BBC America? or is that network under an American company. I know they are willing to cut out bits of the show to make enough room for commercials (The butchered Voyage of the Damned) so they shouldn't even blink to use that option in the states...one of the reasons American television is so terrible.

archangelwho

[23]Jan 5, 2013
    • level: 18

I was looking around the web for something else and ran across two TV interviews one by David Tennat and one by Billie Piper. Either of them could have done both interviews. When asked about the 50th Anniversary show both stated that they have not been called about taking part and knew nothing about the show. Tennat evne said tha the BBC sent someone while he was in make-up to remind him not to say anything about the show and he told the BBC lady that he knew nothing to tell. Both either have not been called or they are very good at carring the company line. They are actors after all.

steamheaduk

[24]Jan 7, 2013

You're not going to be able to trust anything you hear from any of the potential actors over the next few months. You're more likely to get clues from unguarded comments, rather than interview shows (such as David on the Red Carpet for Nativity 2 when he made some comment about driving his agent mad, which hinted there might be an involvement).

For me the most interesting statement has recently come from Chris where he's gone from outright "never bathe in the same water twice" type denials about any Who involvement, to a more recent "if I told you I'd have to shoot you".

dragon22a

[25]Jan 9, 2013
    • level: 32

Given the importance of the 50th anniversary, if the actors do have any involvement they are likely under contractual obligation to remain silent about it with regards to their involvement or any plot points until there is some public announcement made by the BBC. This may even be the case if they are still in negotiationsand have notfullysigned on for the project.So they may be intentionally misleading or downright lying but they are doing it to not only preserve the surprise but also because they could be liable for breach of contract.

I still hope that Doctors 6-10 will make some appearance in the special. Of course availability will be an issue. For instance Sylvester McCoy is in the Hobbit Trilogy which might need additional shooting for the second and third films.

steamheaduk

[26]Jan 9, 2013

Filming has wrapped on all 3 Hobbit films, that's how Peter Jackson knew he had enough for 3 films, not 2.

Peter is also a huge Doctor Who fan, he actually owns one of Sylvester's costumes. If it came to a conflict between Doctor Who and an extra pickup scene for the Hobbit Peter would rearrange to make both possible. He already altered the shooting schedule to allow Martin Freeman to do Sherlock AND the Hobbit.

archangelwho

[27]Jan 12, 2013

steamheaduk wrote:

Filming has wrapped on all 3 Hobbit films, that's how Peter Jackson knew he had enough for 3 films, not 2.

Peter is also a huge Doctor Who fan, he actually owns one of Sylvester's costumes. If it came to a conflict between Doctor Who and an extra pickup scene for the Hobbit Peter would rearrange to make both possible. He already altered the shooting schedule to allow Martin Freeman to do Sherlock AND the Hobbit.

Just go to show you that Doctor Who fans are above and beyond the rest.

archangelwho

[28]Mar 14, 2013

There a post on the Doctor Who 1963 forums that they have worked a way for all 11 Doctors. That would be great as long as it is part of the story and not so they thay can n just say they did it.

steamheaduk

[29]Mar 14, 2013

archangelwho wrote:

There a post on the Doctor Who 1963 forums that they have worked a way for all 11 Doctors. That would be great as long as it is part of the story and not so they thay can n just say they did it.

For me, if they are going to try and shoe horn all the Doctors into one story, using any more than just 8 to 11, then it needs to be more than a single feature length episode, because each Doctor would either be rushed or underused.

For a large amount of past Doctors I would much rather have seen an Anniversary Season, which had episodes that featured a small number of multi-Doctors, so you get to see each play off Matt Smith's Doctor.

Realistically though 1-3 will only ever appear in cleverly edited scenes, 4 and 6 would visually stretch credibility a lot, and 5 and 7 a little. So I think in this day an age a visual Multi-Doctor has to be no earlier than 8 (since we never saw how old 8 was at regeneration he can keep reviving the role for ever). I was chatting with Mr McGann on Sunday and he confessed he had been talking to Moffat the other day, but wouldn't give any more away than that.

Big Finish on the other hand ARE definitely doing a multi-Doctor audio story using 4 to 8 and, from listening to the trailer, possibly snippets of 1 to 3.

archangelwho

[30]Mar 16, 2013

steamheaduk wrote:

archangelwho wrote:

For me, if they are going to try and shoe horn all the Doctors into one story, using any more than just 8 to 11, then it needs to be more than a single feature length episode, because each Doctor would either be rushed or underused.

For a large amount of past Doctors I would much rather have seen an Anniversary Season, which had episodes that featured a small number of multi-Doctors, so you get to see each play off Matt Smith's Doctor.

Realistically though 1-3 will only ever appear in cleverly edited scenes, 4 and 6 would visually stretch credibility a lot, and 5 and 7 a little. So I think in this day an age a visual Multi-Doctor has to be no earlier than 8 (since we never saw how old 8 was at regeneration he can keep reviving the role for ever). I was chatting with Mr McGann on Sunday and he confessed he had been talking to Moffat the other day, but wouldn't give any more away than that.

Big Finish on the other hand ARE definitely doing a multi-Doctor audio story using 4 to 8 and, from listening to the trailer, possibly snippets of 1 to 3.

I agree it would have to be at lest 3 stories long if not longer to do it right. I do like the idea of Smith with one or two of his past lives at a time. It would allow for more interaction between the Doctors and not feel rushed. I would like to see an ending shot of all8 who are still alive (and all 11 if it could be done right) say good-bye, thanks for carring on the good fight or something along those lines.

pferreira86

[31]Mar 31, 2013
    • level: 17

So is there truth in the recent reports that David Tenant and Billie Piper are going to be in the special?

pferreira86

[32]Mar 31, 2013
    • level: 17

pferreira86 wrote:

So is there truth in the recent reports that David Tenant and Billie Piper are going to be in the special?

Okay, just checked. The BBC confirmed it so it's actually true. Now I hope they can bring back the other Doctors as well.

archangelwho

[33]Apr 1, 2013

pferreira86 wrote:

pferreira86 wrote:

Okay, just checked. The BBC confirmed it so it's actually true. Now I hope they can bring back the other Doctors as well.

This was one of my biggest fear. I just hope they leave the "love sick puppy' on the other earth. I just don't think I could deal with there on going romance.

Edited on 04/04/2013 6:41am

dragon22a

[34]Apr 2, 2013
    • level: 32
    Good to hear that Tenant and Piper are returning but it does lead to the question as to whether it is going to be the actual 10th Doctor who appears. He could be taken from some point in the past along with Rose like in the Five Doctors. Or it could be that they are appearing as the Meta Crisis Doctor and the present day Rose coming over from the alternate reality.

steamheaduk

[35]Apr 3, 2013

dragon22a wrote:
    Good to hear that Tenant and Piper are returning but it does lead to the question as to whether it is going to be the actual 10th Doctor who appears. He could be taken from some point in the past along with Rose like in the Five Doctors. Or it could be that they are appearing as the Meta Crisis Doctor and the present day Rose coming over from the alternate reality.

***SPOILER***

jwgrlrrajn

[36]Apr 3, 2013
    • level: 23

steamheaduk wrote:

dragon22a wrote:

***SPOILER***

***SPOILER***

Edited on 04/03/2013 9:47pm

steamheaduk

[37]Apr 4, 2013

jwgrlrrajn wrote:

steamheaduk wrote:

dragon22a wrote:

***SPOILER***

***SPOILER***

Excuse me a moment whilst I go and find some straws to clutch to ;-P

archangelwho

[38]May 19, 2013

Well it look as if it will be just one story long with only Tennant & Rose coming back. If so I guess we need to just wait and see the story before we start judging and hope the DVD extras make up the rest.

archangelwho

[39]Jun 22, 2013

They will have to do something with John Hurt. Not only was he in the run of regenarations but at the end it said introducing John Hurt as the Doctor. Then when the credits rolled at the end they listed John Hunrt: The Doctor. Now they can explain him away that makeno sense, it would not be the first time. If this is waht they are offering us rather gring back the 1963-1989 cast I don't think many of the fans will be happy if for nothing else we would have lost another regeneration which should shorten the life of the show, unless they explain that away that make no sense. It would not be the first time.

archangelwho

[40]Jun 30, 2013

This is how to celebrate the 50th and travel. 700 miles, 13 hours there, 700 miles and 13 hours back the next day with collection 4 & 5 of tje Lost TV Episodes original audio soundtracks. There are some great stories in these two sets and well worth the listen. Due to traffic and road construction going up, have not been here since 1982, and adding a 8 years old and a 6 years old on the way back I did miss part of The Abominable Snowmen, The Ice Warriors and The Wheel in Space but I will listen to them again later. Still need collection 3 to have all 5 sets.