Doctor Who Forums

Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC AmericaBetween Seasons

5x01: The Eleventh Hour (3/4/2010)

shawnlunn2002

[1]Mar 18, 2010
    • level: 41

The Doctor has regenerated into a brand new man, but danger strikes before he can even recover. With the TARDIS wrecked, and the sonic screwdriver destroyed, the new Doctor has just 20 minutes to save the whole world - and only Amy Pond to help him."

Saturday 6.20pm on BBC1

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arikdECVbx4

Edited on 03/31/2010 6:46am
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

thetruesora

[2]Mar 18, 2010
    • level: 22

So definately seems to be starting off with a darker/more dangerous introduction for his new companion compared to the previous NewWho ones. Although I guess it's kinda subjective on Donna since she saw the Doctor take on the Racnoss and kill them all while in a wrathful phase.

Anime-Alchemist

[3]Mar 21, 2010
    • level: 20
    It feels good to see a thread like this again
    So excited!

pferreira86

[4]Mar 21, 2010
    • level: 17

Anime-Alchemist wrote:
    It feels good to see a thread like this again So excited!
    You're not the only one!

PsyduckRanger

[5]Mar 21, 2010
    Oh, what are the BBC doing? Why are they fiddling with the time this early in the new series? As if poor Matt Smith didn't have a hard enough job taking over from Tennant (btw, I'm not a screaming fan-baby, I'm able to accept the change, but the fact is many aren't, that's gonna hurt the show), now they're taking away the standard time? People tuning in at 7, furious they've missed most of the episode...dear me...

Not sure it's necessarily darker...depends on how you look at it. Smith & Jones was fairly dark, as shown by the alternative in Turn Left, an entire hospital full of people dead.

That said, the Moff's episodes have generally been viewed as the scarier ones in the past, so...yeah...either way, I can't wait!

steamheaduk

[6]Mar 22, 2010
    • level: 19
    PsyduckRanger wrote:
    I'm able to accept the change, but the fact is many aren't, that's gonna hurt the show

The fact is the same Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt affects EVERY change of Doctor, and still the show survives 47 years on.

Anime-Alchemist

[7]Mar 23, 2010
    steamheaduk wrote:
    PsyduckRanger wrote:
    I'm able to accept the change, but the fact is many aren't, that's gonna hurt the show

The fact is the same Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt affects EVERY change of Doctor, and still the show survives 47 years on.

Which is one of the reasons it's so damned amazing

thetruesora

[8]Mar 23, 2010
    I think it's just where it's the people who automatically decided they don't like the show now that DT left are more vocal than with previous changes. When Old Who was on people couldn't complain over the internet going "booo hooo they're changing who plays the doctor, now i'm going to need to start taking drugs"*

*don't mean to offend anyone just exagerating to make a point about how silly a lot of people have sounded over David Tennant leaving the show.

steamheaduk

[9]Mar 24, 2010
    thetruesora wrote:
    I think it's just where it's the people who automatically decided they don't like the show now that DT left are more vocal than with previous changes. When Old Who was on people couldn't complain over the internet going "booo hooo they're changing who plays the doctor, now i'm going to need to start taking drugs"*

*don't mean to offend anyone just exagerating to make a point about how silly a lot of people have sounded over David Tennant leaving the show.

Not really, there was more negative noise when it was announced Tom Baker was leaving. Don't mistake the immediacy of internet communication with a capability to be more vocal, it was just expressed via different mediums. The noise now is more akin to when Pertwee left, in that it seems to be split between those who can't imagine life without frilly shirts, and those who are concerned of the capability of a relative unknown new Doctor.

Anime-Alchemist

[10]Mar 24, 2010
    And these people need to grow up and accept change

minisin

[11]Mar 24, 2010
    • level: 14
    Anime-Alchemist wrote:
    And these people need to grow up and accept change

I don't think its got anything to do with maturity. It's an attachment to a character, and I'm sure even some of the "mature" fans will find it hard to accept Matt Smith at 1st. Change is a lot to get used to.

Marius666

[12]Mar 24, 2010
    • level: 6

i don't mind the change of doctors what i mind is the doctor with a gun i have seen and own all the doctor who's there is (dam BBC for throwing out some of the reals ) and one thing that never changed was that the doctor does not use guns.

minisin

[13]Mar 24, 2010
    • level: 14

Marius666 wrote:

i don't mind the change of doctors what i mind is the doctor with a gun i have seen and own all the doctor who's there is (dam BBC for throwing out some of the reals ) and one thing that never changed was that the doctor does not use guns.

Fail. -Fires Up The Steamy-Signal-

Edit- Actually, I think I can handle this myself, so I'm going to give it a go -Steps into the Steamy Costume-

Lets go back to the last broadcasted episode. David Tennant is seen to jump from a ship, with a gun. He then points said gun at Time Lord Nasty man. He then points gun at diffrent Time Lord Nasty man. He then FIRES said gun at Time Lord nasty man, but tells him to move out of the way. This then shots the machine the Time Lord nasty man used to bring forth the other Time Lord nasty man. That is one example of the Doctor with a gun.

Going back to Ninth (Dalek) The Doctor is seen to point a gun at a Dalek, shouting at Said Dalek about why he shouldn't shoot. He also threatens to Electify aforementioned Dalek, and "Exterminate" him.

Now, I've not seen nor do I own all the "Doctor who's there is" but, I have seen the movie. Where in, the Eighth Doctor Steals a policemans gun, and points it at himself.

That's Three Example, from my limited Who Knowledge.

Finally, a fourth Example.

In the trailer you speak about, we see a young actor named Matt Smith fire a gun. The young actor in Question is of couse playing the Doctor (As you yourself are well aware). Thus proving that the Doctor does indeed fire a gun.

I beleive it varies from Doctor to Doctor, but like I said, I've not seen every episode like you have, so all of those facts above must be wrong

Edited on 03/24/2010 9:34am

thetruesora

[14]Mar 24, 2010
    from the discussion before regarding "The Doctor and guns" IIRC the 4th doctor used a gun a few times and 6th at least once (in the final part of a cyberman story).

I like how you tried to write all that to "handle it yourself" and yet referred to Rassilon and then The Master just as "Time Lord Nasty Man" lol

shawnlunn2002

[15]Mar 25, 2010
    • level: 41
    Changed the time. The episode airs at 6.20pm.

steamheaduk

[16]Mar 25, 2010
    Marius666 wrote:

Hmm, if you had seen them all, you'd know better (and I've seen them all, including some of the ones long since lost by the BBC).

Each Doctor slightly varies in character as to their thoughts about and use of weapons and violence, not just restricted to guns.

The first episode I can recall the Doctor having a gun was, not surprisingly, The Gunfighters way back as the first Doctor, and had none of his more recent "Holier than thou" attitude about it. The second Doctor was portrayed more of a "avoid violence" Doctor, generally at very rapid speed in the opposite direction. Once we reached the Third we have a VERY action oriented Doctor, frequently involved in phyical fights, probably more so than any other Doctor since, he even had his own Martial Art - Vensusian Akido or something similar. The fourth was less violent, but still not beyond rigging a Dalek incubator with explosives, in the end he didn't detonate it, but the very fact he rigged it in the first place shows that weaponry and destruction is not beyond him. The Fifth was back to being more pacifist and then a switch again for the Sixth who famously shot Cybermen at point blank range quite gratuitously. Even up to the Tenth Doctor he has been shown to be not averse to using weapons and severe violence blowing up and burning the Empress of Racnoss's entire family in front of her eyes.

That said, even with each of the more "violent" Doctors they all had an underlying philosophy that violence was not the only answer. The very physical Third getting very upset when the Brigadier blew up the Silurians, a scene echoed in The Christmas Invasion when Torchwood destroyed the Sycorax ship. He prefers peaceful resolution over conflict, but if need be, he WILL resort to violence, he WILL use weapons and that does include Guns, and has been consistent throughout the entire series old and new.
    Edited on 03/25/2010 7:23am

belial_77

[17]Mar 25, 2010
    • level: 17
    steamheaduk wrote:
    The Fifth was back to being more pacifist and then a switch again for the Sixth who famously shot Cybermen at point blank range quite gratuitously.

Well... while I never really watched 1st and 2nd Doc stuff as a kid (since I'm in the US, we didn't get Who til 4th)... but the first time I ever saw the Doctor use a gun was the 5th... killing a dalek mutant who was creepin round the shadows.

and you forgot to mention one of the most violent actions of 6... him grabbing Peri by the neck...

But yeah, the Doc hasn't been as "preachy" as he is in NuWho about firearms.

bluecatcinema

[18]Mar 25, 2010
    • level: 61
    steamheaduk wrote:
    The fourth was less violent, but still not beyond rigging a Dalek incubator with explosives, in the end he didn't detonate it, but the very fact he rigged it in the first place shows that weaponry and destruction is not beyond him. The Fifth was back to being more pacifist and then a switch again for the Sixth who famously shot Cybermen at point blank range quite gratuitously.

The Fifth also used guns; He used a handgun to kill a Dalek mutant, and turned a Cyber-Leader's weapon against him. And who could forget the scene in "The Ribos Operation" when the Fourth Doctor switched a piece of Jethrik with a bomb, letting the Graff run off with it, resulting in it blowing up in his face?

Anime-Alchemist

[19]Mar 26, 2010
    Ten: "I never carry guns" /paraphrase

...he doesn't carry guns, but he'll use them when necersary.
    ...aren't we off-topic again?

steamheaduk

[20]Mar 26, 2010
    Anime-Alchemist wrote:
    Ten: "I never carry guns" /paraphrase

...he doesn't carry guns, but he'll use them when necersary.
    ...aren't we off-topic again?

Though even that is contrary to continuity if "I" is taken to mean "The Doctor", since the First Doctor carried a gun, holster and all during The Gunfighters.

What most people find difficult to grasp is that each Doctor is 2 people, The Doctor and the Nth Doctor. Some of his character works through all the Doctors, some is specific to the particular incarnation.