Doctor Who Forums

Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC AmericaBetween Seasons

5x01: The Eleventh Hour (3/4/2010)

steamheaduk

[41]Apr 3, 2010
    • level: 19
    Got to say loved it, except the new theme tune. Liked the credit sequence but the theme tune got a little lost, it'll probably grow on me. But only one thing I didn't like in the episode, I can live with that.

Loved seeing a jacket reminiscent of Pertwee in the pile Rory was holding and thougt the 11 walking through the flashback with the new costume in place was inspired.

I have to say I settled to Matt as the new Doctor instantly, he's nailed being the Doctor without being David Tennant, and I have to say he comes over as older than Peter Davison did when he took the role, even though Peter had a few years on him.

Excellent entry for Matt, probably the best Doctor debut episode ever in my opinion.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

PsyduckRanger

[42]Apr 3, 2010
    • level: 20
    steamheaduk wrote:
    PsyduckRanger wrote:
    I'm able to accept the change, but the fact is many aren't, that's gonna hurt the show

The fact is the same Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt affects EVERY change of Doctor, and still the show survives 47 years on.

I meant the early time. People might have tuned in at 7 expecting it to start...although I guess if you'd seen a trailer that said it was on today you'd have seen the time...

Anywho, thoughts. Pre-titles sequence was random.

Actual titles sequence was awful. Hated it, it was awful, theme song & visual - what was that anyway? Just got used to what I thought the new time vortex looked like, and they changed it to what? Thunder clouds? No.

Everything after that: marvellous. Within minutes Matt Smith was the Doctor to me. He's gonna have no trouble taking over from Tennant. One thing I didn't like the sound of - I could easily be wrong, but I THOUGHT I just heard them say on Confidential that he's never watched the show before. Not really a problem...it's just a shame. I liked that David was a fan, and he could really get into talking about it on audio commentaries.

Amelia Pond. Her story was heartbreaking. Watching her grabbing clothes, knowing he'd not be back for years - so sad... Not giving up on him all her life...although not screwing her up TOO badly because of it... I love Amy just for all that, her devotion...I look forward to seeing how her story will play out, with Rory and her wedding.

Villain...odd...um...yeah...interesting parting comments. I love that the Doctor got to see his new body for the first time that way. Nice how he got his new clothes, as part of the story - although like he said, he has a huge wardrobe.

Nice that they showed the old Doctors, really handing over. On that note, I love Moffat's comment on Confidential just now - there is no 11th Doctor, he's the same Doctor, with 11 faces, they're ALL the same man - or something to that effect. But did anyone notice, when they showed his old villains, they weren't all Earthbound. At the very least I noticed the Hath and the Ood...guess they simply scanned his memory, didn't get that info from Earth...

I wonder if Jeff and his importance in saving the world will come up again? I hope so.

Karen Gillan just said she'd never met her cousin before the read-through - so how'd she get cast? Did Karen just mention she had a cousin who might be good for it but really she had no idea?

New TARDIS. It's nice. I'll miss the old one, but I like this too.

I DON'T like the new Sonic Screwdriver though. Two reasons why; one, what does he give to River Song? That one has a blue light (and a red light...no green...). Two, my toy is outdated now...

All in all, I liked it...I liked that he called the Atraxi back...yeah, I liked it, but that titles sequence will grate on me for a long time...

thetruesora

[43]Apr 3, 2010
    • level: 22

Like you guys, unsure about the theme tune remix. The visual bit of the time vortex I think is great though.

So the stuff with the cracks is the big arc for this season? looks to be interesting.

What was with some of the footage the alien "eye" thing showed like the Ood? that's from the future. Loved the montage with all the previous doctors and Matt then walking through it

WOW for the coming soon stuff. A cyberman picking back up it's helmet?

My BIG question: WHAT IS THE "PRESENT" DATE???? please let it be that he left with Amy from 2010 at the end of the episode.

Edited on 04/03/2010 12:02pm
    Edited 2 total times.

PsyduckRanger

[44]Apr 3, 2010

OmegaForteGS wrote:
    Did that Dalek have the British flag under his eye o.o

Yes. Yes it did. Anyone else think that Amy & Rory won't quite work out? She didn't want to admit he was her boyfriend and she's travelling through time and space when she's supposed to be getting married the next day...

Loved that he's in a tiny little village instead of great big London yet again.

thetruesora wrote:
    My BIG question: WHAT IS THE "PRESENT" DATE???? please let it be that he left with Amy from 2010 at the end of the episode.

Good question...I certainly hope so...no references were made to anything else the Doctor's done apart from those flashbacks...and they mean nothing, we've seen the future and different planets, it could be any year...but why would the TARDIS have travelled back in time? And what was with that random opening?

They should have showed Rose in those flashbacks...then she, like David Tennant, would have had at least one appearance in every NuWho series to date

Wow...thought this place would be packed, usually is...have the Tennant fangirls left then? Eh, well...

I was hoping I'd find a podcast commentary thing on the website...are they just not doing them this year or do they take longer to show up?

Edited on 04/03/2010 1:07pm
    Edited 3 total times.

ctshemp

[45]Apr 3, 2010
    • level: 11

Like everyone else I didn't think much of the new theme and opening title sequence. Loved everything else though!

Don't know if it's been mentioned elsewhere, but the brand of Jeff's laptop - Myth, with a funny letter y - I reckon that will feature in later episodes like Bad Wolf.

thetruesora

[46]Apr 3, 2010
    the brand of the computer might of been just meant as a fictional one so as not to use Dell or any other real life company.

wolfwing

[47]Apr 3, 2010
    • level: 6

Great episode good new doctor :> Like alot I was a bit cautious and a bit concerned with his insanity at the start, but kept reminding me I felt the same way with Tennet. But what I liked...maybe it's just golden age syndrome, did anyone else feel that there was some tennet in there with the new doctor just some small mannerisims and such?

On the screwdriver yeah I've been wondering about this ever since the synopses said that the screw driver was destroyed or something, but then again it's not like doctor who has one complete timeline...Dalek's timeline has been rewritten so much it's not funny. Something I've noticed going back to all the old episodes. Wich reminds me...got to finish Savages at some point. Plus the doctor did say it had been changed, so maybe the next one will be the one he has.

I'm looking forward to this season, going to miss the last doctor...but they gave him a great send off and hoping this one will keep up the good job.

Dewbak75

[48]Apr 3, 2010
    • level: 18

Maybe it wasn't the same caliber as Moffat's best episodes of the last few seasons, but it was a very promising start. Matt Smith and Karen Gillan look like they'll be fun to watch.

Ketisfolk

[49]Apr 3, 2010
    • level: 5

As has been said by many, I'm also not so keen on the new titles and theme tune, but it's a small part of things really so I can live with that really. Matt Smith hasn't grabbed me as quickly as David Tennant did. I remember watching The Christmas Invasion and loving it and feeling like I couldn't wait for the next series. This hasn't caught my imagination as much, I wonder if it's because I'm a little older (and wiser)? That's not to say that I won't watch it next week, the writing was a massive step up from the the end of the RTD era, where the writing just got soppy and egotistic, I was bloody pleased when I heard RTD was stopping. Anyway, I digress, and on a positive note, what did sell this episode to me is Amy Pond. I love her character, and I really want to see what kind of journey she's going on. I did actually guess the wedding day plot as soon as she said 'Can you get me back by tomorrow?' and the Doctor said 'Why, what's happening tomorrow?' and then she hesitated. I'm impressed I got that actually, I'm usually crap at guessing plot twists.

So anyway, good writing, good Amy/Karen not so good Doctor, but I'm willing to see where that goes.

Anime-Alchemist

[50]Apr 3, 2010
    Haven't seen it yet; but what is it with the Doctor and weddings? First Donna, and now Amy? Both redheads, too. hmm... XD

Man_Of_Miracles

[51]Apr 3, 2010
    • level: 6

I'm hesitant to jump on the dog pile forming on top of the new credits sequence.

So, let it be known: I kind of like the thunder clouds! Even if the theme tune is now kinda rubbish.

By god you notice the difference with a moffat episode. The dialogue just crackled for me.Thoroughlywatchable stuff.

I think I started to like Matt's doctor when he threw the bread and butter out the front door, and then told it to stay out. Liking him was, in and of itself, a surprise because he was a right **** on Jonathan Ross the other week.

I still love the particle effects on this show. The CGI can fail in small ways, like the wide shots on the opening sequence. But in general when it does glowy things it does them very well.

In general, a very different feel. Good direction, great writing. Amy's good fun.

I almost didn't catch it at the end. When the reveal of the wedding and all that happened. I kept thinking that she didn't seem that into the nurse fella. But of course that's two years after the events of the episode.

Consider me sold.

Dewbak75

[52]Apr 3, 2010
    • level: 18

Anime-Alchemist wrote:
    Haven't seen it yet; but what is it with the Doctor and weddings? First Donna, and now Amy? Both redheads, too. hmm... XD

Like he said in "Blink", he's rubbish at weddings.

_Islander_

[53]Apr 3, 2010
    • level: 31
    I have to say, I seem to be the opposite of everyone else - quite liked the theme tune remix (hey, it's better than that for series 4), but definitely disliked the thunder clouds.

What did people think about the "let's look at what the Doctor has noticed" segment? From Confidential, it sounds like that is to become a regular thing...

thetruesora

[54]Apr 3, 2010
    when the episode was on I was hoping that whole "lets look through the doctor's point of view" isn't going to be something they put in every episode from now on. This isn't Psych!

ContinuumVortex

[55]Apr 3, 2010
    • level: 15

Unlike everyone else, liked the new theme tune it started off a little iffy then grew into a good tune, but what i didnt like was the thunder cloudy bit in the time vortex the vortex isnt like that, as far as ive been led to believe atleast.

well what can i say, i had high expectations and they were all met thee best doctor introduction of the entire new series if you ask me, also me and my mate reckon that the doctors regeneration might be a bit flawed this time, just a theory though of course. So seems he aint going to permanently like apples.

Really enjoyed this its set the bar hope the rest of the series stays that level, and unlike rtd, moff dont try to always out do himself for the next time, if it stays at a level and just jumps up and down that bar a bit it'll be brilliant. also i'm liking the idea that amy won't be a love interest rather that she's just more like a soulmate, i want river to be the love interest as she should.

oh the new tardis has a view screen again? that big oval thing, loving the new layers, its different but not to much, more *pimped* as such

10/10 for me this time

Edit: i liked the docs view point thing aswell but like a few hope it aint used all the time, it was clever though and i didnt notice some stuff till the confidential pointed it out, episode also had lots of laughs which was nice.

Edited on 04/03/2010 5:56pm

CaptainHarkness

[56]Apr 3, 2010
    • level: 23

"Who da man?!"

I loved it, Matt Smith was hilarious, especially when he threw the bread out the door. I can see him doing a great job. The only thing that really bothered me was the year. It would be nice to know what year it was when he retrieved Amy.

"Silence Doctor. Silence will fall" I guess we'll have to wait and see what this meant.

bluecatcinema

[57]Apr 3, 2010
    • level: 61
    The Davies era is dead, long live the Moffat era!

A terrific way to start the new series. I know I'm probably in the minority, but I liked the new opening, especially the way the "DW" in the logo changed into the TARDIS. As for the new Doctor, he was great. Matt Smith really made the Doctor his own, keeping the classic ways, and adding in his own style, saying things the Doctor's never said before ("Who da man?" and "You sexy thing!" spring to mind). All in all, a great first ep, and that "coming soon" trailer at the end really whet my appetite for more.

GabrielGrey

[58]Apr 3, 2010
    • level: 4

Hated the intro tune - though the visuals that accompanied it was good, overall i loved the episode and thought Matt did an excellent job. Great humor throughout the episode. Loved the scene where the atraxi showed all the doctors in sequence, they also did a wonderful job unveiling the new tardis.

cant wait til the next episode april 10th it should be, least i hope so

rickycal78

[59]Apr 4, 2010
    • level: 7

Nice to be back on the Who boards again after all this time. I'm still kind of undecided on the new intro sequence, the music will either grow on me or I'll hate it, I'm still unsure which way it'll go with me, but the clouds have to go, I liked the old visual effects much better.

Overall, I've got to say that was a very solid episode. Like many, I had a few worries about how Matt Smith was going to be, but he's looking good so far, and it seems he's managed to capture a bit of Tennant's Doctor ( the babbling bits come to mind ) but still add his own flavor to it. I'm hoping there won't too many more of those Doctor viewpoints in the rest of the episodes, that just kind of threw me a bit while I was watching it.

One interesting thing I noted is that his new sonic screwdriver appears to have a green light now instead of blue, like the previous versions. I only note this because as I recall, the one that River Song has in "Silence in the Library" had the usual blue lens and light effect, and as I recall he's supposed to be meeting up with River again in this season. I'm just curious if he's going to make her another one with the blue lens, or if he's going to lose another one and replace it with a blue one.

It was nice to see Moffat keep the part about him being able to open the TARDIS by snapping his fingers as well.

pursuedbybear

[60]Apr 4, 2010
    • level: 28

I'll miss David Tennant.

But then I also miss Tom Baker, Christopher Eccleston, Peter Davison, Sylvester McCoy, Patrick Troughton and Jon Pertwee. Change is part of what has made Doctor Who such a great series over the decades. And I've been waiting with bated breath for this episode, like a five year old sitting on the curb in anticipation of the Santa Claus Parade.

So let mepull myself up on tothe bandwagon and join the chorus in declaring that Stephen, Matt and Karen have thoroughly convinced me that the wait for this new series was worth it. Like Amelia, I feel like Santa has delivered for me. Matt made the Doctor his own without feeling in any way out of step with the previous incarnations. And Amy Pond charmed me as a seven year old and then won me over as an adult. The chemistry between the Time Lord and the Girl Who Waitedis palpable. I can hardly wait to join their voyage of adventure.

And a hearty round of applause for Stephen Moffat's script. I loved the idea of forcing the Doctor to solve a problem without his TARDIS and armed only with a dodgy sonic screwdriver. The emphasis of wits and ingenuity over gadgetry was appreciated (though of course he relied on the use of a super powered laptop). And I'll be watching to see where the seeds planted this episode lead to (Cracks in the universe? Caused by what? The coming silence? There's an impending wedding? And here's acompanion keeping secrets from the Doctor?). And I must admit, I appreciate the fact that Moffat is maintainingRTD's idea that the Doctor, despite his eccentricities and occasional slip ups, is a creature who inspires fear and respect in the galactic community (Hello. I'm the Doctor. Basically... Run.)

As with all the best Doctor Who episodes,The Eleventh Hourleft me feeling breathless and exhilarated. It feelslike I've just stepped off the most exciting rollercoaster in the universe.

And now this is me, queuing up for the next go round.

(And by the way, I'm not fond of the new opening credits either. But who cares? Story is what counts)