Doctor Who Forums

Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC AmericaBetween Seasons

5x01: The Eleventh Hour (3/4/2010)

Eric10301

[61]Apr 4, 2010
    • level: 12

Pretty good start for the new doctor. I'm glad we finally get an attractive female companion. I did find the "computer virus" a bit stupid, but that is par for the course with doctor who. The montage of doctors was great there at the end. I can't wait to see Bill Nighy on Dr. Who, too bad its not until the 10th episode.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

RodolfoGonzalez

[62]Apr 4, 2010
    • level: 1
    Ketisfolk wrote:

Matt Smith hasn't grabbed me as quickly as David Tennant did. I remember watching The Christmas Invasion and loving it and feeling like I couldn't wait for the next series.

... exactly... but throughout the entire episode I just saw it's gonna be an easy transition, and most probably in a couple of episode we're not gonna be making any comparison at all... at least that's what I hope

One thing I don't get is: what's with the tardis "regenerating" as well? I've only seen DW since 2005 and don't know if this is usual, but if I recall correctly, from dr 9 to 10, the tardis stayed the same... Also, the tardis has crashed and smashed before... is there something I'm missing cause all of u seem like its completely normal to have a new tardis and all!

Oh, and what's up with all the upcoming stuff they showed at the end... They must've flashed like at least 5 or 6 different episodes in a minute's worth... Why show us that much and not keep it secret... I felt as if they were showing us all that they have worked on up until now just to reassure us that its gonna still be a busy season... sort of like a "see what's coming?!?! pleeeease stay tuned and keep watching the new DW season" statement...

Anyhow... I liked it... a lot! Will definitely be awaiting the next episode eagerly!

PsyduckRanger

[63]Apr 4, 2010
    • level: 20
    ContinuumVortex wrote:
    oh the new tardis has a view screen again? that big oval thing, loving the new layers, its different but not to much, more *pimped* as such

When did it not have a view screen? I know it did for at least some episodes of the old series, and we've seen plenty in NuWho (Aliens of London, Time Crash, and right at the end of The End of Time, Matt Smith checking it, to name a few appearances).

To whoever said it, perhaps the writing's not quite as great as previous Moffat stories, like Blink or The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, but you've got to remember he's not just got one 45 minute/hour and a half story to tell, he's got a huge over-arching story, as well as several stories of that length (he's written six episodes of this series), he can't just put everything he's got in one story. Plus, it's an introductory episode for the new Doctor and new companion, he's a tad more limited. That said, it was, of course, still epic.

As for the TARDIS, over the years it's undergone many different interior designs, although it's usually implied to be a deliberate change made by the Doctor. We've never seen (at least not in NuWho) the TARDIS damaged anywhere near this badly, so there's nothing to say this couldn't happen.

They always have a trailer like that. It doesn't usually air with the first episode - usually it's with the previous Christmas special, but obviously, you know, whole new production team and what-not. At the very least it'd air on TV or online at SOME point. It lets us know what's coming, it's standard practise with this show.

pferreira86

[64]Apr 4, 2010
    • level: 18

I thought The Eleventh Hour was quite good. It was better than I thought it was going to be. Solid acting, some good visual effects, a cool intro and logothat's easily better than the original but more importantly good writing and that's what counts. However, I especially loved the new pinball table Tardis interior. Excellent stuff! Smile

The theme tune will take some getting used to but does anyone feel it reminds them of Dominic Glynn's remix of his Trial of a Timelord theme?

Edited on 04/04/2010 4:10am

Kattrumpa

[65]Apr 4, 2010
    • level: 3

Am I the only one who really digs the new theme tune and the intro? The tune has an interesting drum line (or whatever you may call it in technical terms), sounds a bit like a bodhran jig to me... anyway, I really, really like it. And I could imagine that the clouds and lightning have something to do with the cracks, some kind of hitherto unknown disturbance.

shawnlunn2002

[66]Apr 4, 2010
    • level: 41

Apart from some reminders about past episodes in question, I really did think this was a fantastic way to open things up. It even justified the 63 minutes that it ran for.

Amy/Amelia got introduced in a rather different way for a new series companion - no parents, errant Aunt, nice boyfriend/soon to be husband but the Doctor waited fourteen years to get things right and give her a trip. I know his timing can be off but this is exceptional even for him.

The banter between the Doctor and Amy was good. Raggedy Doctor/Amy dolls alongside her wedding dress certainly brings up certain images (Amy's two worlds, choosing between two men) but her obsession is understandable given how they met and she wasn't as hardened as she could've been really.

Matt and Karen have the right chemistry together and they do make for a promising Doctor/Companion team. Matt does feel like the Doctor, there's no doubt to that after this episode. And the costume selection, well they way he acquired it was a nice nod to Three and Eight.

Seeing images of the previous Doctors during the confrontation with the Atraxi raised a good point and Amy certainly didn't mind having a look but it would've been nice to have seen more of them besides the eyes and the spaceships. Prisoner Zero could've looked better as well.

The fact that the action took place in Leadworth rather than London was a nice change too. Amy being Scottish is also a nice change and I do hope that her treatment of Rory is better in 2010 than it was in 2008. Liked her neighbour as well.

Some good guest stars in this one as well with Patrick Moore, Olivia Coleman and Annette Crosbie and I liked the look of the new TARDIS. Now it definitely look bigger and that trailer at the end was so needed.

I think I'm gonna love this season, 9/10.

Samuel2484

[67]Apr 4, 2010
    • level: 16

I like the new intro. I think the new theme is quite good, and I especialy liked the look of the time vortext. It looked like candy floss I could just eat!

bluecatcinema

[68]Apr 4, 2010
    • level: 61

pferreira86 wrote:
    The theme tune will take some getting used to but does anyone feel it reminds them of Dominic Glynn's remix of his Trial of a Timelord theme?

I was just thinking that. I was a big fan of the Trial of a Timelord remix myself.

coolcatkid

[69]Apr 4, 2010
    • level: 8
    The episode was good (7/10) but not great . Its just wonderful to have Doctor Who back in full swing .

what I liked about this ep the most was the flashback . wonderful to see the previous incantations of the doctor . what I didn't like about the ep is early on it seemed to lack a good cohesiveness . that certainly faded about mid way though and was a much better show at the end .To me this ep felt like the 1st ep in the CE era with Rose . Still I like SM and think that things will come together quite nicely

ltcomstella

[70]Apr 4, 2010
    • level: 18

since tenants first series I don't like the new theme tune. his last series themewas awful tool, hate it when they mess with themes !

the new vortex doesnt fit the new logo at all

found the opening scene with matt stuffing face and spitting it out over the top and gross

not a good thing to show 'kids' if they don't like some thing just barf it up or throw it across the room or out the door, was funny at first then they went too far.

after that matt did a great job looking forward to next week,

the new tardis looks a lil odd bland walls and cluttered with keepsakes around them,

why does the tardis have a swimming pool ???? surely after all this 'time' it'll be a cess pool lol 'joke'

amy looks like a good character and the actress is pretty sweet, her pout will make posh blush lol

seems she could do better than the nutty nurse...

Guildy

[71]Apr 4, 2010
    • level: 5

Just finished watching it, and I must say.... BRILLIANT!

Oh, and by the way, clear your internet history

dragon22a

[72]Apr 4, 2010
    • level: 32

Not a bad episode and I actually enjoyed Smiths Doctor. I like how they revealed the outfit showing the previous Doctors and am gald to see that this Doctor has retained his serious one warning approach. Where he can still be kind and exciting but at the same time make sure that certain aliens fear him.

I amnot sureabout Amy Pond though. Donna will always be one of my favorites and I hope that we don't have the romantic tension that we had with Rose and Martha and are more similar to the buddy relationship that was shown with Donna.

As for the new Tardis. It will also grow on me like the old one did. I was always partial to the TV movie version but with a more high tech console. I was hoping for that with this new one rather than the random objects just thrown in. And the time rotor looks a bit off.

I'll also miss the old sonic screwdriver but this new one seems to fit with Smiths style.

I will miss Tennant but Smith looks like he is shaping up to be a worthy successor.

kaytori

[73]Apr 4, 2010
    • level: 11

Marius666 wrote:

i don't mind the change of doctors what i mind is the doctor with a gun i have seen and own all the doctor who's there is (dam BBC for throwing out some of the reals ) and one thing that never changed was that the doctor does not use guns.

I don't think it's so much the not use guns thinks it's the shooting people thing, so long as the doctor doesn't shoot anyone I don't think it's a big deal

thetruesora

[74]Apr 4, 2010
    • level: 22
    kaytori wrote:

Marius666 wrote:

i don't mind the change of doctors what i mind is the doctor with a gun i have seen and own all the doctor who's there is (dam BBC for throwing out some of the reals ) and one thing that never changed was that the doctor does not use guns.

I don't think it's so much the not use guns thinks it's the shooting people thing, so long as the doctor doesn't shoot anyone I don't think it's a big deal

he must never shoot his enemies, only kill them by using technobabble and pressing some buttons. XD

belial_77

[75]Apr 4, 2010
    • level: 17
    thetruesora wrote:
    the brand of the computer might of been just meant as a fictional one so as not to use Dell or any other real life company.

I dunno Sora... they seemed to focus on it and make the logo kinda big... not to mention, they have plenty of companies they could have used from the show's mythos (magpie comes to mind).

Def deliberately place for the viewer to look back and smack their head when it's revealed to be part of the arc.

thetruesora

[76]Apr 4, 2010
    • level: 22
    I didn't really pay any attention on first view of the episode but when rewatching this morning I agree there may be some reveal to the "mYth" computer. I hope Jeff appears later on and that he has deleted his internet history.

Yaspaa

[77]Apr 4, 2010
    • level: 79
    Ahh, a nice fresh reboot, and it shows. Very modern with easily the most engaging side-kick since Billie Piper. (she reminds me slightly of the Torchwood bird) Eccleston was great, Tennant was great, and er, Smith looks to be great too. None of these compare to my era's Doctor though - Tom Baker.

dragon22a

[78]Apr 4, 2010

It may actually be Jeff that Amy is getting married to rather than Rory. Or Jeff may have actually gotten a big job thanks to helping the doctor.

Did anyone else notice the thunder cracking noise when the Tardis takes off now. That is a bit strange. I hope it doesn't stick around too long.

Also, according to a comic series and some references in the novels, the Tardis has multiple control rooms so what may have happened here is that only one of them was destroyed and the Tardis rebuilt and moved to a new control room. It may also mean that all of the old control rooms exist in the Tardis somewhere including the ones from the old series and the movie. About the outside though, I can only imagine that this is the biggest damage that the tardis has ever taken and it literally had to reboot itself. Resetting the chameleon circuit and giving it the original police box look from the first doctor. I would have liked to see it though, at least the change in the outside.

Ketisfolk

[79]Apr 4, 2010
    • level: 5

Further to what I wrote yesterday, I was thinking about the new episode a bit more today, and the TARDIS specifically, and then I realsied it reminds me Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, the Tim Burton version. Not always the bigget fan of Burton, not sure I like the new TARDIS that much either. I'm hoping all the bits I'm not keen on will grow on me.

dragon22a

[80]Apr 4, 2010
    Ketisfolk wrote:

Further to what I wrote yesterday, I was thinking about the new episode a bit more today, and the TARDIS specifically, and then I realsied it reminds me Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, the Tim Burton version. Not always the bigget fan of Burton, not sure I like the new TARDIS that much either. I'm hoping all the bits I'm not keen on will grow on me.

It does kind of have the Burtonesque tone to it. very elaborate like Alice in Wonderland and Charlie and The Chocolate Factory. One good thing is that it seems we might see more the Tardis, some of the other rooms like the pool and library, where ever they are. Maybe the Cloister Room from the tv movie or the Zero Room from Castrovalva.