Doctor Who Forums

Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC AmericaBetween Seasons

5x01: The Eleventh Hour (3/4/2010)

ContinuumVortex

[81]Apr 4, 2010
    • level: 15

PsyduckRanger wrote:
    ContinuumVortex wrote:
    oh the new tardis has a view screen again? that big oval thing, loving the new layers, its different but not to much, more *pimped* as such
    When did it not have a view screen? I know it did for at least some episodes of the old series, and we've seen plenty in NuWho (Aliens of London, Time Crash, and right at the end of The End of Time, Matt Smith checking it, to name a few appearances).

i meant a big view screen on the wall not the one on the control panel matey

this will indeed be a good series, i can feel it, just liked soooo much about it

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

dragon22a

[82]Apr 4, 2010
    • level: 32
    In the original series The Tardis had a view screen on the wall in some of the console rooms. its position, size and shape changed depending on the console room. In some it was on the far wall from the door while others had it closer to the door. It was usually used to display the outside environment of the Tardis or when someone contacted the Doctor from another ship.

ContinuumVortex

[83]Apr 4, 2010
    • level: 15

dragon22a wrote:
    In the original series The Tardis had a view screen on the wall in some of the console rooms. its position, size and shape changed depending on the console room. In some it was on the far wall from the door while others had it closer to the door. It was usually used to display the outside environment of the Tardis or when someone contacted the Doctor from another ship.

I know hence why i said its got one *again?* maybe i should have explained myself a bit more lol, oh i have the new theme as my ringtone now lol

doctorWHO69

[84]Apr 5, 2010
    • level: 13

Loved the episode.I was thinking beforehand that it'd take me a while to get used to the new Doctor,but have to admit,Matt Smith is excellent and makes a very good Doctor.

I think one of the things i like about Eleven,is that even though outwardly he looks the youngest of all the incarnations,you just get the sense that he is in fact much much older than the others.There are still elements of his speech that are similar to Tennants' i think,but as he says, he is 'still cooking'.

Then we have the new companion.Have to say,very easy on the eye,but also more than capable actress,and together they seem to have the perfect chemistry together.Am looking forward to see what they get up to in the new series.

All in all,id give the episode 9.5/10.It wouldve been a perfect 10,but i really don't like the new theme tune.The new intro with the clouds and thunder was a little 'different',but i think thats connected to the crack in the wall/universe,so i can accept that.

A brilliant opener,that was only improved on with the 'coming up' trailer.Looks brilliant and fantastic

Speaking of which,im glad to see that Elevens' phrase does seem to be 'geronimo'

Bring on episode 2.

illegalferret

[85]Apr 5, 2010
    • level: 25

I enjoyed it! It was cleverly writen and very entertaining, i laughed a lot through out the episode. I thought Matt Smith was very good and will probably make a great Doctor but i'm gonna wait and see a few more episodes before i make any complete judgements on him and Karen Gillian (who i liked too in this episode).

The coming soon trailor made me very excited and there must have been quite a few scared children on saturday night looking at cracks in their bedroom walls!

thetruesora

[86]Apr 5, 2010
    • level: 22
    illegalferret wrote:

The coming soon trailor made me very excited and there must have been quite a few scared children on saturday night looking at cracks in their bedroom walls!

Just wait until there's an episode about sofa monsters, then where will we hide!?!?!?!?

shawnlunn2002

[87]Apr 5, 2010
    • level: 41
    Is anyone else listening to Amy's theme on YT? Great music from Murray Gold there.

TOCM19

[88]Apr 5, 2010
    • level: 14
    I thought this was really good, have some questions about when the events took place (ie what years) given that either Amy is from 2012 or most of the episode was set in 2008? during DT's reign? and on earth. I'd have thought it would have registered on someones radar?

Also issues with Moffat continuing with the stupid prophecy crap. Why does every Alien the doctor meets know all about whats goign ot happen in the finale? and how come (since he bounces all over time) you never get anyone warnign abotu the Master comign back 2 years too late? I mean it never makes any sense why does an escaped convict that's been hiding out in a little village for years know all about this "Pandorum" opening, or whatever? It would have been enough to have just alluded to the cracks, and not then had a stupid prophecy moment, that just makes everything crap.

1drfeelgood

[89]Apr 5, 2010
    • level: 2

Brilliant debut for Smith as the Doctor he slipped into the role effortlessly

Prisoner Zero knowing all about the cracks in time while the Doctor didnt bugged me too

Karen Gillian didnt impress me asmuchstillits early days and I felt the same about Kat Tate

sorry but unlike a lot of posters on here I thought she and Matt Smith had no chemistry again that might change

as for the lightning in the titles and the cracking sound frm the Tardis i'm guessing that maybe conncts to the Pandorum

anybody else think that the Doctor was lying to Amy when he saidtoher there was no other reason for asking her to go with him

thetruesora

[90]Apr 5, 2010
    1drfeelgood wrote:

anybody else think that the Doctor was lying to Amy when he saidtoher there was no other reason for asking her to go with him

The doctor didn't want to explain about how he went all "THE LAWS OF TIME OBEY ME" near the end of his life as 10. Having a companion keeps him from going crazy.

CaptainHarkness

[91]Apr 5, 2010
    • level: 23

Get a load of this: http://www.digitalspy.com/cult/s7/doctor-who/news/a212636/doctor-who-deemed-too-sexy-by-viewers.html

thetruesora

[92]Apr 5, 2010
    she was a kissogram, not a hooker!*

*although I jokingly thought they were going for trying to put in a character that's meant to be like a "tart with a heart" type character toned down.

1drfeelgood

[93]Apr 5, 2010

thetruesora wrote:
    1drfeelgood wrote:

The doctor didn't want to explain about how he went all "THE LAWS OF TIME OBEY ME" near the end of his life as 10. Having a companion keeps him from going crazy.

Possibly but I was thinking more of the mechanism the Doctor switched off which appeared to be voice modulated if it was omitting information wouldn't register but a lie would of course I could be reading to much into it but it would add depth to Matt Smiths Doctor he only looks Young and someone on this thread already commented on the so called Nth Doctor Traits the Doctors always had a dark side

tv_lover066

[94]Apr 6, 2010
    • level: 12

This episode was quite good, I actually liked it a lot after watching it a good couple of times to get past the fact matt smith is the newby. But there were likes and dislikes so i'll start with the good stuff.The whole production of the show seems of a higher quality and better than previous doctor who. It certainly felt fresh and new to me with the writing, but especially the camera angles used. The music was so beautifully done, specifically Amy's theme. There were a lot of charming moments, particularly the introduction of amelia pond, so different to that of rose, martha and donna...not the same old "worlds ending...er best grab the first girl i can find and get her to follow me". oh and the food scene was quality.

Things i did not like were the changing of the theme tune, credits and doctor who logo! it felt insulting, i mean i can no longer successfully hum the theme tune because they went and mucked it up! Also, the new companion does have a good presence and some chemistry with matt but at times it seemed...off. Also the bit when she sees the alien, there was no expression.

I hate hate HATE the new catchphrase! he doesn't even need the catchphrase!

UGH and the whole "the silence is coming" ... "the pandorica will open..." blah blah prophecy was annoying theres always a flaming prophecy.

anyway but all in all great episode, i can tell from this episode the following season is going to be great one.

minisin

[95]Apr 6, 2010
    • level: 14
    Just rewatching the episode, the Myth logo on the laptop certainly seems interesting. The Y looked suspicious to me, sort of like a Trident of some sort. Perhaps another connection to water this year...
    Sea devils perhaps?
    Or the flood?

bluecatcinema

[96]Apr 6, 2010
    • level: 61
    tv_lover066 wrote:
    Also,I hate hate HATE the new catchphrase! he doesn't even need the catchphrase!

Well then, you're in luck. Steven Moffat has said that the Doctor only says "Geronimo!" on two occasions in series 5. He's already said it once, so you'll only have to have suffer through it one more time.

Samuel2484

[97]Apr 6, 2010
    • level: 16

bluecatcinema wrote:
    tv_lover066 wrote:
    Also,I hate hate HATE the new catchphrase! he doesn't even need the catchphrase!
    Well then, you're in luck. Steven Moffat has said that the Doctor only says "Geronimo!" on two occasions in series 5. He's already said it once, so you'll only have to have suffer through it one more time.

He also said it at the end of "The end of time".

masterlemons

[98]Apr 6, 2010

He meant in Series 5. "The End of Time" isn't part of Series 5.

Edited on 04/06/2010 5:49pm

electricpeppers

[99]Apr 7, 2010
    • level: 26
    I loved it. My heart broke for little Amelia when she sat down on her suitcase waiting for the Doctor -- so sad! I thought it was a little obvious that Amy was Ameila, despite the fact that she was disguising her accent in the first few scenes.

Rory seemed kind of dim-witted which annoyed me. Why do they always have to be that way? It won't make the Doctor look bad if the other males on this show at least act half competant sometimes. That said, I loved Jeff, he was cute. More Jeff please -- also his nan is awesome. Amy seems interesting. She mentioned she's had four shrinks which makes me wonder what her mental state is like. I also reckon the big bad of this series will be the crack in the wall... cracks in the universe. Next week looks excellent! I'm so glad I just changed jobs, now I won't miss DW anymore.

illegalferret

[100]Apr 7, 2010
    • level: 25

I love your sig! It's so true!