Doctor Who Forums

Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC AmericaIn Season

6x12: Closing Time (24/09/2011) [Spoilers]

PsyduckRanger

[1]Sep 21, 2011
    • level: 20

As the Doctor prepares for his inevitable death at Lake Silencio he visits Craig, his former roommate, and learns that the Cybermen are responsible for a series of disappearances at a local department store and resolves to investigate.

Saturday at 7:10pm on BBC1

Trailer:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpmc198XApY

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jwgrlrrajn

[2]Sep 21, 2011
    • level: 23
    First!

Can't wait to see this one. It's been to long since I've seen a Cybermen centric episode.

steamheaduk

[3]Sep 22, 2011
    • level: 19
    I'm looking forwards to seeing the return of the little critters from the Troughton era.

PsyduckRanger

[4]Sep 22, 2011
    Agreed, and even longer since a good episode with Cybermen as the main villains - in fact with Craig on board I expect this is going to end up being the best Cybermen story of NuWho to date, if Gareth Roberts can pull off the same success from last year.

In fact, in a slightly spoilery interview linked below he said that he chose Cybermen because there are no other returning monsters/aliens as the main villains this series, only...as protagonists. So I really like that, because I like the recurring enemies...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/news/bulletin_110917_02

He also reveals that the Doctor has aged 200 years since last week, nearing his age in TIA...so that's why they sent Rory & Amy home...but so many missed adventures...so many companions he surely had that we'll never know...

Can someone explain to me, actually, why they were at home in the first place? That never quite added up for me...

kanniballl

[6]Sep 22, 2011
    • level: 18

Can someone explain to me, actually, why they were at home in the first place? That never quite added up for me...

I don't think it was ever explained, but I imagine the first time they were left behind was much like the second.

I just assumed he pulled a Martha or Donna and let them go... so they could live normal and safe lives as husband/wife. Of course, not until they at least dealt with the Orient Express (in space) and the Christmas Carol.

Then again, maybe I'm forgetting a line or something.

thetruesora

[7]Sep 22, 2011
    • level: 22
    he wanted them to have some time together just the two of them as husband and wife (especially with how well it went with trying to give them a nice honeymoon). The stuff that Rory and Amy talk about at the beginning of TIA is (among other stuff) what he did since leaving them at the end of last episode and the start of this one.

TOCM19

[8]Sep 24, 2011
    • level: 14
    That end was rubbish.

TOCM19

[9]Sep 24, 2011
    I mean the cyber man converson being beaten by craigs magic head.

OmegaForteGS

[10]Sep 24, 2011
    • level: 10
    It is plausable, seeing how these are apparently the Mondas Cybermen, which dont use the chainsaw thingy conversion (as far as we know).
    Apparently Phase 1 of their conversion is some sort of brainwashing, thus Craig resisting it (and getting more willpower to resist by hearing his child crying) is very plusable. Not the Helm splitting in 2, parts letting loose automatically though.

I loved the episode, especially when the Doctor wants to call Amy, but decides not to.

thetruesora

[11]Sep 24, 2011
    anyone else catch the name of the Perfume Amy is the model for is called Petrichor (the smell of dust after rain)?

theportal

[12]Sep 24, 2011
    • level: 26
    Good episode, nice to see more of Craig interacting with the Doctor. It was quite a light episode all around, except for the last few minutes, but it was enjoyable. I didn't expect Amy and Rory to appear in the manner that they did; that part was lovely. It was a shame that there was no allusion to the spaceship from "The Lodger" and "The Impossible Astronaut", but perhaps that was never really important. Then again, we don't know how some members of the Silence cult came to be creatures who can be only be remembered if one keeps looking at them, so maybe the spaceship is significant as far as that goes (maybe they are transformed into those creatures using the ship's technology?).

Doctor Who Confidential was hilarious in places - you guys should watch this one... Also, at the end of it, Steven Moffat confirmed that River was the one in the astronaut suit who killed the Doctor (which we know from this episode's ending, and from various blatant hints thrown around earlier this series, but some of us thought there might be a switcharoo coming up - apparently not, or so Moffat says).

Of course, if the River seen in "Flesh and Stone" and "Forest of the Dead" has already killed the Doctor at that point (again, confirmed by Moffat at the end of Confidential that the 'good man' was the Doctor, as many speculated), then wouldn't saving the Doctor in the episode mean that the events of "Flesh and Stone" and "Forest of the Dead" can never happen? How is he going to worm out of it but still maintain continuity?

Then again, this is Doctor Who we're talking about... Remember how River was still around in "The Pandorica Opens" even though Rory had been wiped from existence at the time? Hopefully they won't try anything as nonsensical as that in the next episode.

I just watched the prequel to "The Wedding of River Song", which was interesting. Wonder if those shots of the Silence submerged in water and River in the tomb will be re-used in the episode itself.

PsyduckRanger

[13]Sep 24, 2011
    The end makes sense, it just wasn't explained clearly. It's how he first defeated the Cybus Cybermen. Craig hadn't actually been converted yet so he could hear his child screaming clearly. His emotions caused his cyber gear to malfunction (though I'll admit I don't understand why that caused it to crack open). Then (and yeah, this is sort of a guess as it wasn't explained clearly and it was a tad loud) Craig's gear, being the Cyber Controller, was connected to the other Cybermen, causing them to malfunction too...and their heads exploded...yeah, ok, it wasn't done well but the actual explanation behind it makes sense...I think.

Seriously, expected more from this forum XD Anyone have an opinion on the episode overall?

I loved it. Hilarious and terrifying.

Brief point to make that I forgot to include in Spoiler Alert; did the Doctor really just say "I've got an app for that"? Come on...

Oh, and I've figured out what the eyepatches are for. Haven't seen that anyone else has... Details in Spoiler Alert

TOCM19

[14]Sep 24, 2011
    My opinion of the episode in general. I didn't like it, i don't like the the slapstick way this Doctor behaves socially, I didn;t like the cybermat having a mouth, and having magical "disembodied arm" like powers (By which i mean being able to keep flying towards their faces"), I don't like this ridiculous "I speak baby" thing, I didn't like the mondus cybermen being around for thousands of years. that's confusing. I don't like the way the doctor seems to know how old he'll be when he dies, I didn't like the concept of this temporal alignment of galaxies thing because he has a time machine. And this whole thing about River having to be in a space suit underwater to kill the doctor just doesnt really seem to make any kind of sense.

I just didn't like it.

MajorasWorld64

[15]Sep 24, 2011
    • level: 3
    The way I explained the ending is that, during the first stage of the conversion the converter tries to remove emotions, but if the person being converted is too strong to have their emotions removed, they are deemed incompatible and the converter releases them (to be killed by the Cybermen). I suppose, since Craig was being converted into the leader, who's linked to all the other ones, the already badly broken ship brought back the emotions of the others. Or something.

Also, my theory on why Kovarian can remember the Silence - the eye patch lets you remember some how (maybe there's a picture of a silence on the other side!), and that's why everyone in the next episode has an eye patch.

OmegaForteGS

[16]Sep 24, 2011
    TOCM19 wrote:
    My opinion of the episode in general. I didn't like it, i don't like the the slapstick way this Doctor behaves socially, I didn;t like the cybermat having a mouth, and having magical "disembodied arm" like powers (By which i mean being able to keep flying towards their faces"), I don't like this ridiculous "I speak baby" thing, I didn't like the mondus cybermen being around for thousands of years. that's confusing. I don't like the way the doctor seems to know how old he'll be when he dies, I didn't like the concept of this temporal alignment of galaxies thing because he has a time machine. And this whole thing about River having to be in a space suit underwater to kill the doctor just doesnt really seem to make any kind of sense.

I just didn't like it.

He knew he would die since the Flesh episodes. He got the data from the robot most likely on when/where he will die, how old he is then etc.
    Remember that the space suit in the season premiere kinda had a life on its own. Probably the leftover subconcious of River will trigger the suit without her being able to fight it.
    They only need to explain "why" River, why not someone else.

And why couldn't the mondas cybermen have been there for a thousand years? 1-2 survivors, rest was still getting converted.
    Maybe they recently awakened because it took the Cybermat that long to activate just one Cyberman (a la Transformers Generation 1, where the autobots/decepticons were asleep for millions of years).

It's no use arguing against TOCM19, seeing how his natural behaviour makes him unable to ENJOY a series because it must make sense 100% of the time. So i will not engage him any further.

OmegaForteGS

[17]Sep 24, 2011
    Seems quick quote didnt work correctly, and edit gives tv.com error, great....

TOCM19

[18]Sep 24, 2011
    Yes, he knew he was going to die, but not when, yeah he got a date but he's a time traveller so that means nothing, and I can'timagine any data about his age would have been enough for him to KNOW that tomorrow is the day.

The mondas cybermen wouldn't have been there for thousands of years because they haven't been built at all yet. And I just don't get why they need to have River in a random astronaut suit, just to kill the Doctor, they know when and where he'll be and they have guns.

PsyduckRanger

[19]Sep 24, 2011
    The Cybermen of this universe can time travel...

We don't know why River and not someone else...incidentally, there's another episode of this series yet to air.

thetruesora

[20]Sep 24, 2011
    If I ever have a son I want to name him "Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All!".