Doctor Who Forums

Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC AmericaIn Season

6x12: Closing Time (24/09/2011) [Spoilers]

PsyduckRanger

[21]Sep 24, 2011
    • level: 20

Majora, you suck...with your theory...

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MajorasWorld64

[22]Sep 24, 2011
    • level: 3
    Came up with it myself when I saw the prequel & the pics of Amy & Rory with patches on /v/. Not my fault we did a hive-mind and both came up with the same thing.

'Course, your idea was something along the lines of an image of the Silence being projected onto/into the eye, while I prefer to think the eye patch is just a print out of a Silence picture, which they shove onto their eye, sort of like writing test answers on the back of your eye lids.

And for the record, I think it's good Amy's a model instead of being a freedom fighter or whatever. What good is the Doctor's choice of letting them go if they're just gonna track down aliens themselves? They're supposed to have normal lives - it's what the Doctor wanted.

Oh, and here's another theory: The person in the space suit that kills the Doctor? That's River!

rickvega

[23]Sep 24, 2011
    • level: 8

Hmmmm at the end when River sees the Silence again she asks Kovarian what are those things... and Kovarian tells River that they are her owners???????? Did I miss something can someone explain or any theories???? Wouldnt it be interesting if we in this last episode found out that Kovarian and River are the same person just in the future???

TOCM19

[24]Sep 25, 2011
    • level: 14
    How could they be, River died looking very much like she does now. They are her owners because they are behind her creation, they have manipulated her whole life for this purpose even though it's a bit convoluted.

Farmerluk2

[25]Sep 25, 2011
    • level: 6
    thetruesora wrote:
    If I ever have a son I want to name him "Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All!".

Lol, probably the funniest moment of the episode for me

TOCM19

[26]Sep 25, 2011
    Babies just aren't smart enough to make up names like that before they can even talk, when they do learn, they aren't all of a sudden able to hold coherent conversations. It's ridiculous to say that the Doctor speaks baby, I choose to see it as him joking in AGMGTW but this one made it plain the he actually was speaking to the baby. It's stupid, we all know it's stupid. So yeah, that was mainly why i didn't like this episode.

JD, as for Amy becoming a model.... I kinda thought the point was that by becoming a model she'd got big bill boards up all over the UK with a message saying "for the girl that's tired of waiting".....It's a message for the Doctor, just like River does and funnily enough they learned it from each other.

PsyduckRanger

[27]Sep 25, 2011
    • level: 20
    "Oh, and here's another theory: The person in the space suit that kills the Doctor? That's River!"

Yeah...here's another theory...Melody Pond? That's River!

Sorry, but I don't quite see why you're proclaiming something shown on screen as a theory :/

"Hmmmm at the end when River sees the Silence again she asks Kovarian what are those things... and Kovarian tells River that they are her owners???????? Did I miss something can someone explain or any theories???? Wouldnt it be interesting if we in this last episode found out that Kovarian and River are the same person just in the future???"

Go watch AGMGTW, then TIA/DotM and it'll make sense.

Well Glen, if scientists can make particles travel faster than the speed of light, shattering our understanding of (some of) the laws of physics, why can't the Doctor speak baby?

Maybe the TARDIS is able to translate in more complex ways. Maybe it can interpret brainwaves on a much higher level than we thought - such as taking any thoughts the baby might have about those around it and converting that to something we can understand. The baby thinks he's the most important thing in the universe, Mum is important, there are some people who are important but not as much, and nobody else matters. Etc.

I'd suggest the Doctor has ways of picking up on things directly, like being able to sense feelings, emotions, etc, but that wouldn't add up with him being so rubbish at dealing with adults.

TOCM19

[28]Sep 25, 2011
    Yeah thoughts at a basic level doesn't equate to Stromageddon master of all. That take's some pretty complex thought processes, like making up a word from components of other words and recognising dramatic impact.

pferreira86

[29]Sep 25, 2011
    • level: 18

I was a disappointed that the return of the Cybermen was handled so casually. Still at least they re-introduced the Cybermats.

Off topic, I just spell checked the above sentence and it wanted me to replace Cybermats with Beermats! Foot in mouth

courtcout

[30]Sep 25, 2011
    • level: 3

I actually really enjoyed this episode! I love the relationship between Craig and the Doctor. Its hilarious! Plus, the relationship between the doctor and the baby was adorable. My favorite scene is when the doctor is talking to the baby in his room, talking about the stars and such. A really touching moment for me.

Ok...so i did not catch on that this doctor is 200 years older than the doctor from "the god complex" and when i read that i pretty much fell out of my chair. I knew that the doctor in "the impossible astronaut" was 200 years older...but still. It's been 200 years...and the doctor decides to pop in for a visit with Craig? And he hasn't gone to visit Amy and Rory at all since he dropped them off? I dunno....i find it hard to believe that the Doctor would age 200 years, and it seems like he's only been gone a week. So much time has passed for the Doctor since last week's episode, and we haven't been there to see any of it! I hate that. Time jumps freak me out.

Question...How much time has passed between "The God complex" and "Closing Time" in Amy's timeline? Obviously it's been a while since she has a modeling career now (another thing that completely baffled me) but how much time?

RiftReaper

[31]Sep 25, 2011
    • level: 9

TOCM19 wrote:
    My opinion of the episode in general. I didn't like it, i don't like the the slapstick way this Doctor behaves socially, I didn;t like the cybermat having a mouth, and having magical "disembodied arm" like powers (By which i mean being able to keep flying towards their faces"), I don't like this ridiculous "I speak baby" thing, I didn't like the mondus cybermen being around for thousands of years. that's confusing. I don't like the way the doctor seems to know how old he'll be when he dies, I didn't like the concept of this temporal alignment of galaxies thing because he has a time machine. And this whole thing about River having to be in a space suit underwater to kill the doctor just doesnt really seem to make any kind of sense. I just didn't like it.

I think 200 years without a companion would properly make anyone behave a little different in social situations. (this of course assumes he is now 200 years older then when left Amy and Rory in the god complex episode, which seems to be the case as he has his cowboy hat and letters ready to go for his departure .

But i do agree, this season has made me very uneasy. I knew it was River song in the suite since the first episode, so that doesn't surprise me. We have known for a while that river song is in jail for killing a "good man" since last season, so the only logical conclusion is she killed the doctor.

The doctor has to get out of his own death somehow, or else how can we have another season ? I am just not sure how Moffot's gonna write his way of this predicament, so I am very excited to see next weeks final episode.

RiftReaper

[32]Sep 25, 2011
    • level: 9

courtcout wrote:

Question...How much time has passed between "The God complex" and "Closing Time" in Amy's timeline? Obviously it's been a while since she has a modeling career now (another thing that completely baffled me) but how much time?

You can figure it out from impossible astronaut. at the start before he dies, there is a point where the doctor says I am ____ years old, then amy goes, you were only ____ years old when i last saw you. I Don't remember the exact ages said, but it was about 200 years difference. So yes, it seems 200 years have passed between the two episodes. Also explains the doctor's slight change in social behavior too

jwgrlrrajn

[33]Sep 25, 2011
    • level: 23
    I liked the episode. The Doctor speaking baby was used to great comedic effect. No, it doesn't make sense if you think about it too much, but are we seriously still expecting every aspect of a time travel series to make sense? (hint, hint)

Definitely can't wait for The Wedding of River Song. Series 6 has been shaping up to be my favorite season so far, I hope the ending doesn't ruin that for me. (it shouldn't, but you never know)

BTW, I have a theory about the question that will be asked before silence falls.

I think it will be something along the lines of, "River Song, will you marry me?"

Ravenite

[34]Sep 25, 2011
    • level: 6

TOCM19 wrote:
    Yeah thoughts at a basic level doesn't equate to Stromageddon master of all. That take's some pretty complex thought processes, like making up a word from components of other words and recognising dramatic impact.

You must really hate the Look Who's Talking movies.

quasar9

[35]Sep 25, 2011
    • level: 4
    I really liked the episode as well...as far as the little things like the baby talk etc...I suggest not overthinking it and just enjoying the humour I try not to think of theories of whats going to happen, aside from the obvious things, as I have found quite a bit in season 6 (and some of season 5 too) to be kind of confusing, and frankly, I've given up and am just enjoying the stories. I'm very interested to see where this is going and how they plan to get the doctor out of his own death...I'M SO EXCITED YAY DOCTOR WHO

TOCM19

[36]Sep 26, 2011
    Ravenite wrote:

TOCM19 wrote:

You must really hate the Look Who's Talking movies.

They are ridiculous comedy though, they do what they are trying to do.

Doctor who is supposed to be Sci-Fi, but it's all Fi and no Sci right now.

steamheaduk

[37]Sep 26, 2011
    • level: 19
    Got to disagree there, Doctor Who is Fantasy, and kids fantasy at that, not Science Fiction. Science Fiction is about "what if", extrapolating from what we know now, to what "might" be possible with future discoveries. And whilst large portions of the Fantasy in Doctor Who could also be Science Fiction, a lot of it is pure fantasy. The problem is Doctor Who often does play well to the non-kid Sci Fi audience, so we often forget that it is, and always has been, aimed at kids.

jwgrlrrajn

[38]Sep 26, 2011
    • level: 23
    Need I remind people that the original plan was for Doctor Who to be an educational show for children, but that the plan was irrevocably changed when they introduced the Daleks?

Doctor Who hasn't been realistic for a long time.

steamheaduk

[39]Sep 26, 2011
    • level: 19
    jwgrlrrajn said:
    jwgrlrrajn wrote:
    Need I remind people that the original plan was for Doctor Who to be an educational show for children, but that the plan was irrevocably changed when they introduced the Daleks?

Doctor Who hasn't been realistic for a long time.

steamheaduk replied:
    Actually the show did stay true to it's original plan, all the Daleks did was break the rule in the original brief "No bug eyed monsters", but it was always intended to be an adventure show with a fantasy element, to educate from a historical perspective, and wider with science and moral topics thrown in. The idea was to make it a family show to promote discussion about the topics covered.

Something it stays true to even on the relaunch, for example season 1 prompting topics in our house of JFK, how stars die, the Titanic, Charles Dickens, Torture, Media influence, Paradoxes and Time Travel amongst many others. The trick is to get kids interested without making them think you're educating them. To do that, it has to be fun, so sometimes you have to sacrifice a little reality for the laugh.

I thought Closing Time was a well placed light break in a fairly dark second half, and given what is coming next is absolutely needed.

pashao

[40]Sep 26, 2011
    • level: 13

I really enjoyed this episode. Though comedic it was so much better than Night Terrors which I did not like so much. Don't know why but that ep didn't appeal to me. I guess I was due for a laugh after the previous episode when the Doctor decides to go it alone. Sad.

I like that the Doctor can speak baby. Being a mother that fact that the the baby wanted to be called Stromageddon master of all made me laugh. Babies are hugely demanded and for a short while they do rule your small part of the universe. And milk buckets trumps dads any day of the week. So yes, I giggled at all the baby talk.

The Cybermen were incidental for me, it was the Doctor's interaction with Craig and the baby that made this episode. It was clear from the beginning that something was troubling the Doctor, the fact that he knew he was facing death but thought he'd save humanity one more time was very touching.

I have spent the last month re-watching all the River Song episodes (must have watched them 6 times now). They are my favourite storyline and I cannot wait until next week's episode.

I'd like to see how the Doctor get's out of his impending death. I'm thinking

[Spoilers]

It's a plastic replica

[Spoilers]

Plus the wedding of River Song, really can't wait.