We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Doctor Who Forums

Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC AmericaBetween Seasons

6xSpecial: A Christmas Carol (25/12/2010)

_Islander_

[1]Dec 25, 2010
    • level: 31

Amy and Rory are trapped on a crashing space liner, and the only way the Doctor can rescue them is to save the soul of a lonely old miser. But is Kazran Sardick, the richest man in Sardicktown, beyond redemption? And what is lurking in the fogs of Christmas Eve?

Christmas Day 2010, 6.00pm on BBC1

Trailer: Here

Edited on 12/25/2010 2:25pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jwgrlrrajn

[2]Dec 25, 2010
    • level: 23
    First! Can't wait for this one. If done right, it could be the most epic adaptation of A Christmas Carol ever.

thetruesora

[3]Dec 25, 2010
    • level: 22
    Ignoring the whole "rewriting Kazran's past should arguably be against the rules of time travel" I thought this was a very good and festive episode.

Next time trailer: Ood! what was the marking on Amy's face? Doc has to do what they say without asking why? yeah I don't see that possibly going wrong >_> wow there was just too much for me to process

PsyduckRanger

[4]Dec 25, 2010
    • level: 20
    I thought it was brilliant, several really clever uses of time travel, it's nice to see, so often it's just relegated to being the way of getting from A to B.

I loved seeing Arthur Darvill's name in the credits. A good sign for next series, I reckon, even if he didn't actually feature much in this episode or the trailer.

Really pleased they didn't chicken out and keep Abigail alive, but they didn't make it depressing by showing her die...

Without a shadow of a doubt, best Christmas special we've had. And what a coincidence! First written by the Moff instead of RTD...

thetruesora

[5]Dec 25, 2010
    Rory appeared as much as Amy in the trailer.

bluecatcinema

[6]Dec 25, 2010
    • level: 61
    Abigail's singing was the best part of the episode for me. Such a wonderful voice...

r10tp00f

[7]Dec 25, 2010
    • level: 7

This was a spectacular episode! Stephen Moffit, and Matt Smith are doing amazingly well!!! The dialog is so snappy, so witty and clever, I love every moment of this Doctor. I can't believe he lived out like twenty some Christmas Eves in a row, haha... the episode also put me in an excellent mood. It was great way to end the Christmas day

carlthejedi

[8]Dec 26, 2010
    • level: 8

Fantastic story, someone tell RTD you don't need invading space ships/killer christmas stars/massive cyberking's or any other ott stuff. Well done Moffat!!

chameleonic1

[9]Dec 26, 2010
    • level: 13

I think Moffat is ruining the show. He is taking to many liberties. His "time can be rewritten" mantra can only be bad for the integrity of the show. He's already made some monumental errors with continuity and "canon" by completely ignoring things even he's written...

And Matt Smith's version of the Doctor is getting more and more annoying.

Edited on 12/26/2010 6:56am

dragon22a

[10]Dec 26, 2010
    • level: 32

I thought it was a pretty good episode and one of the rare true character driven episodes. Kazran and Abigal were very well written. Rory and Amy did not have all that much to do but it was nice to see them behaving like newlyweds. Pretty funny how the Doctor found it strange that they were wearing costumes.

The episode did ignore almost every rule of time travel that the show has put forth. The interfering in individual timelines for instance. But that may have simply been a guideline than a rule and the 11th doctor is just more willing to break that rule if the situation warrants. As for the physical contact between a person at two points in his timeline. That is a controversy that will probably never be consistently handled in the series.

I also found the Marilyn Monroe thing pretty funny. I wonder how many weddings the Doctor has actually had. We know he was involved with Queen Elizabeth and now Monroe.

Racketeer66

[11]Dec 26, 2010
    • level: 6

Abigail was singing perfectly. Of course: she is one of the most acclaimed singers of the world, Katherine Jenkins. Story was OK, however a bit mushy.

TOCM19

[12]Dec 26, 2010
    • level: 14
    Guess what? I hated it.

I love Matt Smith and the SM's Dialogue but I do not like the was he handles time travel, not one little bit.

The idea that you can spontaneously gain memories is ridiculous. The doctor changed the dudes past therefore he should have Known the Doctor when they met, or at least his entire past should have changed, he should't remember simultaneously remembering and not remembering the doctor, that's just bull crap.

And as for his brain waves thing, if the past changed the machine would change so it should have worked!

Total and complete ridiculousness, onna stick.

jwgrlrrajn

[13]Dec 26, 2010
    TOCM19 wrote:
    As for his brain waves thing, if the past changed the machine would change so it should have worked!

OBJECTION! The machine did change, but it's because Kazran's father didn't him access to the machine in the altered timeline.

Kazran's gaining memories in the present can be explained by the timey-wimey ball effect, and young Kazran being in contact with old Kazran not ripping the universe apart can be explained by the Doctor being the last of the Time Lords and rewriting some of the laws of time.

The time dragons in Father's Day could be because Rose saving her father was rewriting the past of a frequent time traveler. (the multi-doctor specials shouldn't be a problem since they only added a few days/hours/minutes to the Doctor's previous incarnations as opposed to completely changing large chunks of his past)

Or maybe we're just thinking about this too hard. It's just a movie/tv show, you know.

Anyway, I enjoyed it. It was certainly better than Voyage of the Damned, although I'm still trying to decide how it compares to The Christmas Invasion, The Runaway Bride, and The Next Doctor. Have to say, I especially loved how the Doctor reacted when he saw the chimney while he was on the roof during Christmas Eve. XD

PsyduckRanger

[14]Dec 26, 2010
    A theory I saw on the TARDIS wiki about them being able to touch each other is that time being rewritten meant the older Kazran is essentially not the same person he once was...

The thing is, when have we ever seen anything like this before? Not often, because the Doctor doesn't let it happen often.

Maybe it wasn't as simple as it seemed to be. Maybe it wasn't just things changing in a moment, maybe it was all of time being rewritten, but instead of seeing the several decades affected, we just saw the same time as it was changed.

When it was Abigail's portrait instead of Elliot's, that must have been there for a while already, so we simply saw an altered timeline. The Doctor altered all of reality (although chances are only a small part was affected), so, if you're a fan of multi-verses or parallel timelines, it could be we're just shifting from one to another, or something, as a result of these changes. And the Doctor simply made Kazran aware of the changes, somehow, so he could remember all the timelines - either something he consciously did, in the TARDIS off-screen perhaps, or else something automatic as a result of the changes centring around Kazran. Who knows, we didn't really see how other characters were affected - maybe Abigail, her family, even Marilyn Monroe - maybe somehow they remember both timelines too. As ever, I have to point out that we don't know how time travel works.

Personally, I thought it was a clever idea, especially when The Doctor appeared on the video just after leaving Kazran and just carried on the conversation.

Although, now that I stop and think about it, I do have one issue...the Doctor took those two to what was it, 8 different Christmas Eves? And apart from the shark on the first one the biggest problem they ran into was The Doctor getting engaged to & marrying Marilyn Monroe? No aliens invading any of them, no mad scientists, no running down corridors? Seems a bit too unlikely for The Doctor (Incidentally, considering the amount of time together, I'd definitely say those two qualify as proper companions. Certainly more so than Astrid bleeding Peth or Adelaide Brooke (whose name I had to look up...), they spent a full week in the TARDIS (how can The Doctor get used to that feeling, he took over a week on this when Amy, Rory, and the rest of the passengers and crew only had an hour to live...))

Also, he's seen isomorphic controls, laser screwdriver anyone...not to mention he apparently said the TARDIS itself was isomorphic in the original series (obviously not still true now, if it ever was...)...he shouldn't be saying they don't exist.

dragon22a

[15]Dec 26, 2010
    • level: 32

I was thinking the same thing about the isomorphic controls. I remember the Tardis being mentioned as having them.But the 5th Doctor then said that he was only bluffing when he said that in his earlier life. We've seen his companions use the Tardis over time also so either it was a bluff, the Doctor disabled the safety lock, or it simply stopped working like many of the systems in the Tardis.

I also remember the Doctor mentioning to the Brigadear that the keys and the door lock to the Tardis have a metabolism lock which only responds to timelords. Of course we know that this has changed as his companions now are readily given keys and are able to open the Tardis doors without problems.

Maybe what this Doctor was amazed at was that humans had developed the technology of isomorphic controls. Before this he only encountered them on alien technology.

I wonder if the Doctor will have a brand new screwdriver next series or will he just get an identical one to the current one. My guess is it will be identical sort of like what he did after the 10th doctor broke his in Smith and Jones. He just got an identical one from the Tardis.

mantez

[16]Dec 26, 2010
    • level: 9

Couldn't he have just gone back got the boy version of Kazran Sardick brought him to the future to operate the machine?

CaptainHarkness

[17]Dec 27, 2010

I must say I really enjoyed this one. Probably my favorite Christmas Special. Anyway you'd think Kazran would've gone mad having all those new memories flowing into his head. That's be a lot to take in. But I don't really have an issue with it. It's something different that we haven't seen so it was a nice change.

steamheaduk

[18]Dec 27, 2010
    I have to say I loved it. The episode was beautifully staged and lit, with the blues in the cold room, the subtle mix of reds and blues when Kazran was a hologram on the bridge and the subdued grey tones in Kazran's parlour.

The writing was fantastic, some marvelous one liners, and I liked the way the USED A Christmas Carol to change Kazran rather than simply write an episode to parody it.

I'm glad we have a writer that remembers "it also travels in time". I think time travel is greatly underused, to say it's the essence of a Time Lord. I know if you watch with the heart of a particle physicist you'll hate it, but Doctor who is Science Fantasy, not Science Fiction, so as long as they define the parameters of how time travel narrative works for the episode and stick to it, then it's an enjoyable romp.

thetruesora

[19]Dec 27, 2010
    mantez wrote:

Couldn't he have just gone back got the boy version of Kazran Sardick brought him to the future to operate the machine?

it still wouldn't work. The doctor had changed Kazran's life so he didn't become like his father and so his father never programmed the machine to work for Kazran.

Hand_of_Omega

[20]Dec 28, 2010
    • level: 3

Woo Hoo New Nu Hu - Loved it. Loved the bit about what boys say when faced with danger