Doctor Who Forums

Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC AmericaIn Season

6xSpecial: A Christmas Carol (25/12/2010)

archangelwho

[41]Dec 27, 2011
    • level: 18

PenguinSuzie wrote:
    I'm surprised so many people loved this episode. I didn't like it.

Any reason?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

PenguinSuzie

[42]Jan 2, 2012
    • level: 10

The Doctor made the choice to change and control a man's life and then broke the man. I found that arrogant and sad.

The fact that the Doctor never considered the obvious that she was ill and clearly in there for a reason. She never mentioned it and so spent all of her days repeating different Christmas's. Which I would have thought strongly takes the magic from it. Why not say something. She could have done more than visit different places on Christmas eve. Why eve and not ever day either?

The boy saying that the shark is just hungry and them riding the shark like a slaywith reindeer.

Sending them off into the sunset like it was a happy ending while all I could think of was how the Doctor had completely ruined this mans life. He'd been unhappy and grumpy before, but this was something else. He'd be completely broken and alone.

Saying the shark is just nice and sending him into a sky of little fish. So he deeply cares about what happens to the shark that tried to kill him but somehow ever other fish can go die.

The immediate love story the moment the boy was a teen or young man. Especially annoying because it was horribly predictable in the sense that it's a trope used to death. The moment you saw he'd grown up, there was an immediate 'oh no they would go there, that's just obvious'. In a 'please no' sort of way, and earlier through the episode I'd been wondering if since her identity was such a secret and she was somehow connected to his family or put there for a reason, being ill etc. I'd been wondering if she was his mother or somehow connected or related to him. As a kid he seemed to see her as a close friend/sister/possibly motherly figure. Maybe I was just thinking that because I was making up theories and that's one that stuck. Or at least considering I was thinking she could be his mother or at least bitter father's wife, reason why he was bitter? Clearly not true but still. It' bugged me. Isn't that rather creepy of her as well to fall in love with him immediatley on first sight now that he wasn't a child. Also I'm just annoyed at the implication that a guy and girl can't seemingly ever be just friends. I find that depressing. Often there seems so few character friendship relationships on TV that haven't had something at some point. The only DW one that springs to mind between a straight/bi guy and girl is the Doctor and Donna. Though he could be asexual, in this incarnation at least. Though there is River.

Why the Monroe/Doctor marriage. Maybe it's weird that I don't find that funny. I wasn't a fan of the Elizabeth/Doctor thing though either. It's just awkward and random. Though not in a funny way to me.

The Doctor setting off while leaving the man to lose his lover.

It annoyed me when Amy told the Doctor not to patronize her then turned around and did so to Rory.

The Doctor had good intentions and I wish he'd just dealt with the boys father, helped the kid out and then left before all of it had happened. It just seems so very 'I can do anything. I can walk into your past and change everything about you. I can control everything. I'll do this even for my own reasons.' I don't like that implication.

I think there was a lot more that I didn't like but I can't really remember everything. There was a lot though. It's definitely my least favourite DW episode ever.

Some questions .
    I don't understand how the shark was tamed by her singing, why she sang in the first place, and why it made it snow? Is it just because she's grown up there and somehow people know this. However that could be.
    Why did the people immediately listen to Amy? No choice? Better than no help at all.
    How could Kazran watch his changing past and have his memories changed without them having already been changed. Considering that the Doctor would later go into his past, shouldn't he already remember? Time travel really confuses things when it's something like this. I'm probably getting that wrong.
    I think I've probably just forgotten, but why didn't the fish suffocate? Is it that they can somehow breathe the air there, how on earth does that work with the gill difference then? What was there? I really think I over think some things.
    Why does the Sonic Screwdriver constantly display more abilities. Or has it just been a while since I've seen this ep and it didnt do this again in this episode?

The only bits I really liked were some of the Rory and Amy scenes, the Doctor being confused as to why Rory and Amy were dressed like that, and him building snowmen. There was good acting and talent. Also the effects were good but I pretty much disliked everything else about it.

Besides having Jenkins and Gambon in it which is great. What does everyone else like about it?

Edited on 01/02/2012 12:05pm
    Edited 2 total times.

jwgrlrrajn

[43]Jan 2, 2012
    • level: 23
    Wow, I don't know how you manage to watch this show at all.

PenguinSuzie

[44]Jan 4, 2012

Time travelly stuff, and plotholes etc don't generally bother me at all. I disliked in this episode that the Doctor actively decided to change the man's life, and to benefit himself. It's not really about things not making sense. I like fantasy and sci-fi a lot and I don't need things in shows to always explain or make sense in terms of real world logic (or their logic, or any logic at all). Though I did wonder if anyone had some answers for some things. I just disliked so much in this episode, and that can annoy me and when I'm annoyed I sometimes don't accept the same answers as acceptable. Rare that though, It's not something I really do.

For some reason it really irritated me when the boy said that the shark wasn't bad, just hungry. Not because I think sharks are 'bad' or 'monsters' or such. Definitely not. Just because it would have been digesting him by then if he hadn't escaped and his response grated on me, especially since he then set the 'oh so hungry' massive shark back into the sky swarming with fish. It's not about him forgiving the shark. I just wish he could recognize that it's still a very dangerous animal, even if it isn't with evil intent. It really shouldn't annoy me but it does.

Edited on 01/04/2012 12:12pm

jwgrlrrajn

[45]Jan 4, 2012
    He changed the man's life, not only to benefit himself, but to make the man a better person. For example: if there was a chance that the Doctor could change the history of the Daleks to make them good, do you not think he would take it?

Besides, the Doctor didn't try changing him on a whim, there were 4,003 people he was trying to save.

As for the shark, it has a right to eat, does it not? Why shouldn't they put in the sky so it can feed on its natural food source?

PenguinSuzie

[46]Jan 5, 2012
    Personally I think the Doctor completely broke the man. Why should it be his choice to do what he likes with someone's entire life anyway. I think it's probably just the way I'm looking at it. I can't see what he did as uplifting to the man. Though showing him kindness and adventure was wonderful. Knowing what would soon become of the man only makes me sad and I can't help but think despite making him happier for a time, he'll always be much unhappier than he ever was before.

I'm not saying the shark shouldn't eat. Just that it seems weird of the boy to care so much for the shark that tried to kill him and not spare even the slightest thought for the others. I'm overthinking it, but it annoys me.

jwgrlrrajn

[47]Jan 5, 2012
    The Doctor didn't know Abigail had so little time to live. He thought she was just in there as collateral for a loan (which she was). Heck, if Kazran hadn't found out that she was going to die, he would have ended up as a better person. It was a variable that no one had any control over, and if anyone's at fault here, it would be Abigail for not telling people that she was going to die if they thawed her out too many times.

PenguinSuzie

[48]Jan 9, 2012
    I do wonder why she didn't say anything. What with how much the Doctor has seen you'd think she'd at least ask if he knew of anything that could help. Maybe she just didn't want to dampen the joy of her short time with them and decided she'd live and enjoy herself for a short time instead or spending it worrying, and upsetting them. Her being ill was hinted at several times though, especially how she reacted when she heard he was 'a doctor'. I'd wondered why he never suspected. I could be remembering that wrong though.

I get that a lot of this episode shouldn't annoy me, but for some reason it does. I probably shouldn't take this ep so seriously. It's weird since I never do though. I don't think that's really something I have much of a problem with. For whatever reason when first watching this episode so much just grated on me, and that feeling stayed there on rewatch. Maybe I was in a bad mood, or maybe I expected to much from it.

archangelwho

[49]Jan 16, 2012
    • level: 18

There are shows and stories of shows that we like/dislike for no reason that we can explain. We just do or don't. There are shows in many people top5/10 that I can not understand how they even got on the air. It is just one of those things where we have to agree to disagree.

thetruesora

[50]Jan 19, 2012
    • level: 22
    He did ask Abigail at one point "do you need a doctor?" but then just seemed to dismiss it completely within seconds.