Doctor Who Forums

Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC AmericaBetween Seasons

Allons-y Alonzo?

  • Avatar of Xyrexus

    Xyrexus

    [1]Dec 26, 2007
    • member since: 05/24/05
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 14
    I'm officially going mad, can someone please explain to me what Allons-y Alonzo means? Tennant saying it twice in the Christmas special re-sparked my interest to induldge my curiousity.. sounds french to me.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of mattpitt1991

    mattpitt1991

    [2]Dec 26, 2007
    • member since: 03/25/05
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 1,772
    Right, for some reason, in Army of Ghosts (S2), the Doctor used "allons-y" as a sort of phrase to Rose - and you are right, it roughly means let's go in French.

    Anyway, he said that if he knew someone called Alonso, he could say "allons-y Alonso", and he even asked Yvonne Hartman (the head of Torchwood, I believe) whether anyone called Alonso worked for Torchwood.

    He finally met someone called Alonso on the Titanic, and so was excited to finally be able to say "allons-y Alonso"!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Anime-Alchemist

    Anime-Alchemist

    [3]Dec 26, 2007
    • member since: 03/05/07
    • level: 20
    • rank: Cow Bell
    • posts: 3,666
    mattpitt1991 wrote:
    Right, for some reason, in Army of Ghosts (S2), the Doctor used "allons-y" as a sort of phrase to Rose - and you are right, it roughly means let's go in French.

    Anyway, he said that if he knew someone called Alonso, he could say "allons-y Alonso", and he even asked Yvonne Hartman (the head of Torchwood, I believe) whether anyone called Alonso worked for Torchwood.

    He finally met someone called Alonso on the Titanic, and so was excited to finally be able to say "allons-y Alonso"!


    That was hilerious! xD
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Irish_Girlie

    Irish_Girlie

    [4]Dec 26, 2007
    • member since: 03/15/07
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 55
    yyeah i saw the xmas special and watched the one when he says he wishes he knew someonenamed Alonzo just like an hour agoand i was like HA! Thats where its from!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of littlematilda

    littlematilda

    [5]Dec 26, 2007
    • member since: 01/20/06
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 669
    The look on David's face when he heard the sailer say his name was classic
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of alison_974

    alison_974

    [6]Dec 26, 2007
    • member since: 07/19/05
    • level: 17
    • rank: The Crazy Neighbor
    • posts: 1,019
    yeah that was great! i love throw backs like that... like how he's on about a little shop in the hospital in new earth and smith and jones
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of The_void_68

    The_void_68

    [7]Dec 27, 2007
    • member since: 04/16/07
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 2,304
    I laughed so much at that, while my whole family just stared blankly at me.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of CrochetOwl

    CrochetOwl

    [8]Dec 31, 2007
    • member since: 06/24/05
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 213
    Well, Alonsy (however you spell it) supposedly means 'Let's go' in French. I loved the bit in VOTD when he finally found someone named Allonso
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Hale11

    Hale11

    [9]Jan 10, 2008
    • member since: 01/11/08
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 1
    Hello,

    I just watched this episode.
    It's not the first time Doctor said "Allons-y".
    In Voyage of the Damned Doctor said twice.
    Indeed it means let's go or come on.
    I'm always surprised when it is used.
    I'm French so I found funny that on an english tv series we could hear play on words in french with Allons-y Alonso!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Sliverwarrior

    Sliverwarrior

    [10]Jan 10, 2008
    • member since: 06/06/03
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 83

    Xyrexus wrote:
    I'm officially going mad, can someone please explain to me what Allons-y Alonzo means? Tennant saying it twice in the Christmas special re-sparked my interest to induldge my curiousity.. sounds french to me.

    Allons-y is french and like CrochetOwl said it means "Let's go".

    Edited on 01/10/2008 2:32pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of barky13

    barky13

    [11]Jan 20, 2008
    • member since: 03/04/07
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 1,865
    alison_974 wrote:
    yeah that was great! i love throw backs like that... like how he's on about a little shop in the hospital in new earth and smith and jones
    Ah The Little Shop. I'd love to see more of these sort of jokes
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Necro_17

    Necro_17

    [12]Jan 23, 2008
    • member since: 12/11/05
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 24
    i know what you mean the void
    I was rolling on the floor when i heard that
    and someone said to me I don't get it
    So I had to explain
    Though as far as an episode went it wasn't all THAT good in my opinion, compared to other episodes anyway
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of dani_n

    dani_n

    [13]Apr 11, 2008
    • member since: 04/10/08
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 574

    it's a terrible little joke, but it made a lot of people happy

    I guess it just goes to show, England likes to pretend it hates France but it has sure picked up a lot from it on the sly!

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of steamheaduk

    steamheaduk

    [14]Apr 14, 2008
    • member since: 07/04/05
    • level: 19
    • rank: Fall Guy
    • posts: 4,270
    dani_n wrote:

    it's a terrible little joke, but it made a lot of people happy

    I guess it just goes to show, England likes to pretend it hates France but it has sure picked up a lot from it on the sly!

    Yes, all the bad spelling in the English language for one thing Early attempts to write down English was transcribed by Norman Monks, and the vowels sounds were not too consistent with the English sounds at the time, hence the many different ways of spelling the same sounds in different words.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of The_void_68

    The_void_68

    [15]Apr 14, 2008
    • member since: 04/16/07
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 2,304
    dani_n wrote:

    it's a terrible little joke, but it made a lot of people happy

    I guess it just goes to show, England likes to pretend it hates France but it has sure picked up a lot from it on the sly!

    And, most of our 'posher' words come from the French. For example, 'excrement' is a French word, whilst the Anglo-Saxon word for the exact same meaning is 'sh!*'.

    And yet, you raise this point in a French lesson, and suddenly they decide that you're a disruptive pupil....

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of steamheaduk

    steamheaduk

    [16]Apr 14, 2008
    • member since: 07/04/05
    • level: 19
    • rank: Fall Guy
    • posts: 4,270
    The_void_68 wrote:

    And, most of our 'posher' words come from the French. For example, 'excrement' is a French word, whilst the Anglo-Saxon word for the exact same meaning is 'sh!*'.

    And yet, you raise this point in a French lesson, and suddenly they decide that you're a disruptive pupil....

    Yes most things in English have several different words to describe them, we have strong sets of words from Latin (Roman Invasion), French (the Normans), Scandanavian (Vikings) and various other races that at one point invaded, each leaving their own words in the English language. The reason the French derived words are always considered the "posher" variety is that French was the official language "at court" for a long time with English being the simplified language of the Peasants, which is why structurally English is less complex than most European languages, i.e. no Gender other than real gender and less inflexion on verbs. Spelling and pronounciation is a whole different ball game though, very frustrating for Europeans trying to learn it.

    Though excrement is still from the posher French version of the word, the equivalent to the Anglo-Saxon word you quote is m**de of course

    Edited on 04/14/2008 5:43am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of DHARMA815

    DHARMA815

    [17]Apr 14, 2008
    • member since: 03/09/07
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 532
    The_void_68 wrote:
    dani_n wrote:

    it's a terrible little joke, but it made a lot of people happy

    I guess it just goes to show, England likes to pretend it hates France but it has sure picked up a lot from it on the sly!

    And, most of our 'posher' words come from the French. For example, 'excrement' is a French word, whilst the Anglo-Saxon word for the exact same meaning is 'sh!*'.

    And yet, you raise this point in a French lesson, and suddenly they decide that you're a disruptive pupil....



    Hehe, excrement

    Yeah, it was the best part of the Christmas episode. The rest of it was, well, I haven't got time to go into that, coz my Birthday's some time this year...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of dani_n

    dani_n

    [18]Apr 16, 2008
    • member since: 04/10/08
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 574
    barky13 wrote:
    alison_974 wrote:
    yeah that was great! i love throw backs like that... like how he's on about a little shop in the hospital in new earth and smith and jones
    Ah The Little Shop. I'd love to see more of these sort of jokes


    What was that a reference to??
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of thetruesora

    thetruesora

    [19]Apr 16, 2008
    • member since: 12/13/04
    • level: 22
    • rank: Freak and Geek
    • posts: 6,286
    The doctor says in "New Earth" and "Smith and Jones" about how if he run the hospital of that episode then he would have a little shop in the corner.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of 343TheFlood

    343TheFlood

    [20]Apr 18, 2008
    • member since: 08/01/04
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 228
    anyone ever noticed that the french word for bread and the english word for pain are the same, turns out the english really didn't like french bread
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.