Doctor Who Forums

Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC AmericaBetween Seasons

Amy and Rory after Angels Take Manhattan: Unshot Scene on BBC.com

dragon22a

[1]Oct 12, 2012
    • level: 32

For those interested, BBC's official Doctor Who site just released a video featuring storyboards for an unshot scene featuring Brian and revealing what happens to Amy and Rory after getting sent back in time. It features voice over from Arthur Darvill and is a really nice companion piece to Amy's farewell to the Doctor.

It is available at http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00zn6ff

I honestly think that this would have been great to have been included in the actual episode and while it may not be absolutely canon, I would like to consider it to be.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

steamheaduk

[2]Oct 16, 2012
    • level: 19

I think if they had included it in the actual episode (it was to intended be the last scene of The Power Of Three as another example of non-linear story telling) it would have spoiled the suspense in The Angels Take Manhattan, in that you know what happens to them, but not how (being careful not to be spoilery myself here in a non spoiler topic).

Had they lifted it from Chris Chibnall's episode and transplanted it somewhere onto the end of Moffat's then it would run the risk of "doing a Lord or the Rings" and having too many endings, since it already had "The ledge", "The Graveyard", "The Afterword" and "The Garden". Putting another epilogue on there would have made it too heavy.

So I can see why dramatically it didn't get included in either episode as broadcast, and I think I prefer it that way. I think they did the right thing releasing it as a separate extra scene, so it doesn't detract from the suspense or final ending of The Angels Take Manhattan, but it's a real shame they didn't actually film it to release it this way (and as a DVD extra).

dragon22a

[3]Oct 19, 2012
    You're probably right about it spoiling the suspense. Maybe a future episode could have the Doctor go on an adventure with Brian and after leaving him back at home have this scene take place. A fitting end to both the Ponds and Brian.

archangelwho

[4]Jan 4, 2013
    • level: 18

Very emotional. I really liked Brian and would have liked to have seen him more. I wish this had been part of the DVD extras. Did not play well on my computer. Stop, go, stop, on etc... Sorry it was not put on film even if it had not been used. I think it would hve work. Start the closing credits and about half was though show this and then finish the credits. Though this mean we will never see the Ponds again I really do like the ending. At least it will not be like Rose. Amy and Rory really loved each other and seem to have had a great life overall. Ended up with the best of both worlds. I feel it should be viewed as canon. It was developed as part of the story just not used.

Edited on 01/04/2013 8:01pm

dragon22a

[5]Jan 5, 2013
    Maybe it will be on the complete season DVD when it comes out after the second half is finished.

archangelwho

[6]Jan 5, 2013
    • level: 18

That would be nice. I wonder how hard it would be to film it. You would only need two actors and a voice over. The cost should not be that much. Could be a fan letter writing event.

dragon22a

[7]Jan 9, 2013
    It is doubtful that we would get the full scene. Rather, the DVD may include what was on the web with the story boards If they did go with a full scene, they would really only need Mark Williams and any older actor, possibly paying per diem. They could simply keep the voice over they already have rather than have Darvill record it again. If the interior for the house was a constructed set, it has likely been taken down since it was in the previous studio but any house interior would serve the purpose. The only major hurdle I see would be William's availability.