Doctor Who Forums

Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC AmericaBetween Seasons

Amy or Rose?

bdancer99

[1]Jun 8, 2010
    • level: 11

who do you like better?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

scottjoc

[2]Jun 8, 2010
    • level: 10
    Amy, I never really found rose all that great as a character, I found her more annoying and Amy is much sexier also (for me).

karlandi

[3]Jun 9, 2010
    • level: 7

Amy or Rose?

Dont get me wrong im a total Rose "fanboi"

But ofcourse there the inevitable "but"

Its all about chemistry, David Tennant and "Rose" had great chemistry, THAT is what made Rose SO beloved.

But then again DT is no longer the Doctor.

I could NOT have picked a better companion for the current doc in my wildest dreams. She can be funny , and in the next moment tear jerkingly dramatic, THIS is what what makes an awesome duo. Amy is giving Rose a *SERIOUS* run for her money IMO. The latest episode (Vince and the Doctor) is my second favorite episode in ALL of Doctor Who, and im old enough to have seen most of them first air (second only to "Blink").. Yes some of the episode could have been done away with (mainly the whole monster subplot), but the last 20 min or so is the best 20 minutes of television i have seen in a very long time.

Now David Tennant is an extremely good actor , and brought out the best of who ever he was working with, be it Rose, or who ever. But in this case (Amy) the companion is beginning to outshine the Doc himself.

SOOO im going to have to pick Amy, but time is the ultimate factor , will Amy continue to be so good?

I mean dont get me wrong, im not saying i dont like the new doc, but IMO it is the companion who is making the show right now. Like rose and DT they work VERY well together. And THAT is what is putting Amy over the top.

Edited on 06/08/2010 11:38pm
    Edited 2 total times.

steamheaduk

[4]Jun 9, 2010
    • level: 19
    Rose I found very one dimensional as a character, and I started off liking Amy, but she relies on the "startled deer" look a little too much for my liking. So Donna.

TOCM19

[5]Jun 9, 2010
    • level: 14
    steamheaduk wrote:
    Rose I found very one dimensional as a character, and I started off liking Amy, but she relies on the "startled deer" look a little too much for my liking. So Donna.

I love ta face she pulls, I read it more as a disbelief that startled. Ans at least she's got more facial expressions that 10's 3 generic ones.

Still I agree I'd go with Dona if she was an option, purely becasue Amy hasn't had a:

"Closing all zed neutrino relay loops using an internalized synchronous back feed reversal loop....That button there" moment yet.

(Though I wonder if she messed up on delivering that line? Te double use of the word loop makes it feel a little clunky, and I wonder if it would have been written like that?, ie should it have just been "Closing all zed neutrino relays, using..." and Tate just threw in the extra loop?)

Anime-Alchemist

[6]Jun 9, 2010
    • level: 20
    Wait; Rose was a character and not a nightmare?

majken1974

[7]Jun 9, 2010
    • level: 21

Anime-Alchemist wrote:

YupFrown

From the 2 episodes I've seen so far I'll take Amy, but I'll always choose Jack first, second and last Laughing

steamheaduk

[8]Jun 9, 2010
    • level: 19
    TOCM19 wrote:
    steamheaduk wrote:

I love ta face she pulls, I read it more as a disbelief that startled. Ans at least she's got more facial expressions that 10's 3 generic ones.

Oh I love the look, I just thinks it's been used a little too much, being as you knew exactly what I was talking about without further qualification. btw I didn't mean she used it to mean she was startled, just that it reminded me of a startled deer, albeit a gorgeous sexy red headed startled deer.

TOCM19 wrote:

"Closing all zed neutrino relay loops using an internalized synchronous back feed reversal loop....That button there" moment yet.

Hey I wonder if they redubbed that line to "Closing all ZEE neutrino relay loops" for the American audience

TOCM19

[9]Jun 9, 2010
    • level: 14
    In stargate they have a power source that they call a ZPM, in Atlantis they have an international exploration team, and they make sure that the not yanks all say Zed instead of Zee.

Yaspaa

[10]Jun 9, 2010
    • level: 79
    Rose was there before Tennant don't forget and is one of the reasons the show worked. Amy's great, but she's no Rose.

PsyduckRanger

[11]Jun 9, 2010
    Rose was a whiny selfish cow. Amy is a hilarious, witty, seriously intelligent girl who's saved the world in ways the Doctor never could, whose primary flaws are permissible due to their existence being caused by the Doctor screwing with her life. She's a complex, interesting character.

But Donna is still better. Although...she didn't have an awesome bloke pining after her, unlike both the other two...

Anime-Alchemist wrote:

Has her presence in literally every series since 2005 (hopefully) bar the latest one not made it clear yet?

shawnlunn2002

[13]Jun 10, 2010
    • level: 41
    Where are Martha and Donna in this list?

I like both but maybe Amy.

karlandi

[14]Jun 10, 2010
    • level: 7

Yaspaa wrote:
    Rose was there before Tennant don't forget and is one of the reasons the show worked. Amy's great, but she's no Rose.
    Yes , Rose was in DW before David Tennant , but with him is where she really shined (again because of the chemistry between David and Billie). Without David , Billie falls short. Last seasons last few episodes proved this. The point of my post is Amy shines with or without the doctor. Right now if I had to pick my favorite companions of "NuWho", it would be Martha then Rose then Donna , and best is Amy. Amy in my opinion is what is driving the show right now , im not sure I like the new doc yet. The reason Donna beat Rose is her last few she was REALLY good (Without DT). The reason Rose was below Donna is because for her to be truely superior , she needs to be with David. The last few episode of last season proved this (Though I was literally counting the seconds till Rose returned, I was seriously disappointed with Billie's acting , like she didnt want to be there at all , a drone , just there to get paid.). IMO the only episode that beats "Vincent and the Doctor" is "Blink", and the doctor only appeared briefly, why? Solely because of the last 15 - 20 minutes. These minutes are what put Amy over Rose (though she was already giving Rose and Donna a run for their money)

The coming episodes are what will really test Karen (Amy). If she continues acting as well has she has been, Rose will be but a memory to be forgotten. It took Billie 2+ years years to get her past Sarah Jane Smith, and it took what 10 episodes for Karen to surpass Billie? (or atleast garner this much notice and respect)

Edited on 06/10/2010 11:06pm
    Edited 2 total times.

pinchasb

[15]Jun 11, 2010
    • level: 13

My 10 year old and I have voted for Amy, as she embodies, in our opinion, both Rose and Donna, as she challenges the Doctor and even stops him sometimes, and without the "mushy" stuff. My 22 year old agrees. Amy is alot more fun, especially in Karen Gillan's portrayal. Donna is my favorite from the David Tennant era as there pure friendship there and no"romantic" stuff (although it's funny that in many episodes they think they are married). By the way, this was posted by Pinielf's mother, Batya.

Edited on 06/11/2010 8:27am

PsyduckRanger

[16]Jun 27, 2010
    On second thoughts, I rather like Amy Rose

Becca331110

[17]Jun 27, 2010
    • level: 13
    I absolutly adore Amy. Rose I hated with fiery passion, Martha got on my nerves, and Donna was kick-ass. Her, Amy, Mickey and Jack need to join the new Doctor for ultimate win.

Frenz9

[18]Jun 27, 2010
    • level: 10
    Amy, hands down

The_13th_Doctor

[19]Jun 28, 2010
    • level: 2

Yep Amy could slap me in handcuffs any day

Guildy

[20]Jun 29, 2010
    • level: 5

I'd have to rank them, counting the temps,

#1 - Amy/Rory duo - Sorry, it works better with Rory there for me.

#2 - Two way tie between Donna Noble & Jackson Lake. I really, really liked him

#4 - Wilfred Mott. Given a few more episodes, he could have been like a Chuck Norris of companions

#5 - Rose with Eccleston. I dunno, it seemed more fun in the beginning... by the end of series one she started alternating between being okay, and being either despondent or needy... maybe it's just me.. I'll be fair, and say she had her moments, but tbh, I thought she was brought back and the alt-Doc was written in just to satisify the romantics.

#6 Captain Jack

#7 - Lady Christina de Sousa - Michelle Ryan. 'nuff said. Actually, I thought the character matchup was electric.

#8 - Martha - Never really struck me either way, really

Honorable mention goes to: The guy from the first season that got the port installed in his forehead