Doctor Who Forums

Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC AmericaBetween Seasons

Amy or Rose?

rtw85

[21]Jul 9, 2010
    • level: 3
    neither both are awful, martha was better, donna and jack were good but cribbins is the greatest
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

PsyduckRanger

[22]Jul 10, 2010
    • level: 20
    "Martha was better"!? I mean, she was ok, but of all the people I actually acknowledge as being new who companions, she was the worst! Even Rose was better...as was Mickey, Jack, Donna, and Wilf...hell, even Jackie...

TOCM19

[23]Jul 10, 2010
    • level: 14
    I think Martha the character would have been better if she wasn't played by such a god awful actor.

Freema's good looking and she's pretty funny, but she just can't act. She delivers all of her lines in a totally bemused wrongly intoned reading from a book kind of way, and I just don't buy Martha as a person, it just looks acted. It's a shame cos she is very pretty.

minisin

[24]Jul 10, 2010
    TOCM19 wrote:
    I think Martha the character would have been better if she wasn't played by such a god awful actor.

Freema's good looking and she's pretty funny, but she just can't act. She delivers all of her lines in a totally bemused wrongly intoned reading from a book kind of way, and I just don't buy Martha as a person, it just looks acted. It's a shame cos she is very pretty.

Not to mention when she looked right at the camera and smiled in Journeys End (Or Stolen Earth, always get them mixed up) completely ruined the 3rd wall for me.

hot_babe101

[25]Jul 10, 2010
    • level: 13

Amy. Shes a much smarter character and is very fun to watch.

Rose was never very appealing, she just about only had 2 facial expressions :O and

starfire2_2

[26]Jul 10, 2010
    • level: 12

Both are good but relly Amy is the best. I started watching the show on space and fell in love with Amy and !!. They make the perfict pair. Pluss kid Amy is so cute.

CoffeeCake225

[27]Jul 11, 2010
    • level: 15
    theyre both different.
    Rose was good with 10 but amys great with 11

if DT was still the doctor i dont think amy would be as great of a character the doctor and the companion are supposed to play off each other and amy and matt smith are great together which makes them the perfect doctor/companion pair.

Hand_of_Omega

[28]Jul 12, 2010
    • level: 3

Yes Amy goes all the way to 11 :-D

archangelwho

[29]Jul 16, 2010
    • level: 18

Rose before the "love sick puppy" thing between her and the Doctor, then Amy. The "love sick puppy" Rose fall to the last of my list taking in all from the new show & the old ones.

Jallybeanz

[30]Jul 17, 2010
    • level: 4

I love both BUT I only love Rose from when she was with Eccleston's Dr. She was much more three dimensional with the ninth Doctor than with the tenth. Maybe it's because she actually seemed like she had a bit of a brain with Ecc but she loses it with Tennant.

I also love Amy cause she's different to Russel's characters, which, even though they were different, they sort of acted similar and I would catch myself going "Rose said that" or "Martha already went through this".

Oh and I also love Amy because she's a little bit crazy and doesn't always do the norm.Laughing

Don't get me wrong, RTD's a good writer but he's not happy unless he's destroying at least one of his character's lives, just watch the 'Second Coming' and look what he did to Jack in Torchwood's children of earth if you want proof and how he treated some of the characters from the past four seasons of DW. There's only so much darkness I can take.

Yaspaa

[31]Jul 17, 2010
    • level: 79
    Billie is a much better actress than the Amy bird, and was more realistic as an average London bird, Amy is better looking and here now, which is why she's probably the favourite.

minisin

[32]Jul 18, 2010
    Yaspaa wrote:
    Billie is a much better actress than the Amy bird, and was more realistic as an average London bird, Amy is better looking and here now, which is why she's probably the favourite.

Yeah Amy is a terrible actress. I mean, working all those years as a kiss-o-gram, and living in a little village, I doubt she'd have much acting training =P

As for Billie being an Average London Bird, she's from Swindon.
    Which is about as close to London as Galifrey

Yaspaa

[33]Jul 18, 2010
    I was just guessing. She's you're average chavvyish bird from down south.

minisin

[34]Jul 18, 2010
    Yaspaa wrote:
    I was just guessing. She's you're average chavvyish bird from down south.

Oi, Swindon is my home town, we arn't chavvy, we are Swindonians

Yaspaa

[36]Jul 18, 2010
    There's chavs where I live, but I'm not one, Citroen Saxo anyone, anyway my friendly Swindonite, stop messing with mind. Regarding Martha - She was terrible, truly awful, likeable, but that's it. She should have followed her true destiny - Early morning kids TV. Piper+Eccleston was the magic year, when it was super fresh. 1 Doctor per season as well, keep us all on our toes.

PsyduckRanger

[37]Jul 18, 2010
    Yaspaa, the point he was trying to make is that you're using actor & character names interchangeably. For example, I rather think Martha's true calling is probably to be fighting aliens. Not kids' TV.

Also, are you suggesting they should regenerate the Doctor every year?

jackfloyd1973

[38]Aug 23, 2010
    • level: 4

both are funny, but Amy's the hot one, even more so than Lady Christina De Souza and Gwen Cooper combined (and they are way up there in hot scale), Amy also often seems smarter than the Doctor

jwgrlrrajn

[39]Aug 23, 2010
    • level: 23
    I like most all of the new series companions, but for some reason, Amy is my least favorite out of all of them. (she's not nearly as bad as Susan from the old series, but still)

I'll be honest here, I like Rose, I can't see why everyone hates her so much. (well, except for the times when she would start getting jealous regarding the Doctor's previous companions, still, she wasn't anywhere near as bad about it as Mickey was with her)

Martha was good, and I enjoyed her character, but the only thing I didn't like was her crushing on the Doctor throughout her tenure (the last one liked him, can we change things up a little, please?). It also didn't help that she got the worst of the season finales (still liked her though).

Donna was great, I loved the way she and the Doctor would interact, and her not having a crush on the Doctor was a breath of fresh air after Martha, and she also had the best character development of the first three. (too bad about Journey's End )

I really like Wilfred, and I wish he could have been an official companion for more than the one episode. Oh well.

Amy on the other hand has just been kind of, I dunno, weird. I didn't like how she started coming on to the Doctor in that one episode with almost no precedent for her behavior. Also, her relationship with Rory almost seems like a rehashed Rose/Mickey relationship, only she ends up choosing Rory over the Doctor. (or so we think, she still wants to travel around with the Doctor, I guess we'll see how that turns out next season) There's also the whole "startled deer" look that one of the previous posters mentioned.

PsyduckRanger

[40]Aug 23, 2010
    People hate Rose because she was a whiny, selfish cow. Most notably in The Age of Steel, telling Mickey she need him, after abandoning him and running off with the Doctor, and not even wanting him to join the TARDIS crew.

No precedent? Right, apart from her obsessing over him for 14 years, two thirds of her life, travelling through time and space with him, willingly running away with a man on her wedding night, seeing what he can do, seeing him save people, and being shown on screen as wanting to see him naked? Right, no precedent, of course.

Amy's funny, she's clever, she does things herself, using initiative, rather than only ever following instructions. She's fantastic.