Doctor Who Forums

Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC AmericaBetween Seasons

Any wild guesses on who or what river song is?

TOCM19

[121]Jun 30, 2010
    • level: 14
    Yeah me too, on account of, instead of explaining anything, that just tried to make it all happy and smiley so that people thought it was ok that they didn't explain it.

Just like remembering someone back in to existence so that they can come to your wedding.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Guildy

[122]Jun 30, 2010
    • level: 5

TOCM19 wrote:
    Yeah me too, on account of, instead of explaining anything, that just tried to make it all happy and smiley so that people thought it was ok that they didn't explain it. Just like remembering someone back in to existence so that they can come to your wedding.

My take on it exactly I'll disagree slightly about Amy, because there was an attempt at an explanation at least that we could reasonably fill in the holes on. Whereas in the other case, we pretty much had to write our own ending.

Hey! Maybe River is the Smoke Monster's Mom!

billgoldberg1

[123]Jul 1, 2010
    • level: 3
    At first I was thinking River was Jenny, the doctors daughter, but that would be a little too creepy with the chemistry between the two.

We know the Doctor isn't against marriage (see end of season 4, he says to Ood Sigma he's been married) and River being the Doctors future wife would make the most sense.

I haven't read the entire discussion here, but the theory that River is a Tardis could be perfeclty possible:

:

he Eighth Doctor Adventures novels have stated that future model Type 102 TARDISes will be fully sentient, and able to take on humanoid form[33] The Eighth Doctor's companion Compassion was the first Type 102 TARDIS,[34] and she was seen to have enough firepower to annihilate other TARDISes.[35] Compassion and other humanoid timeships appear in the Faction Paradox spin-off material.

But then we have to take into account that the 10th Doctor said his Tardis is the last one left in the universe.

kompongwho

[124]Jul 2, 2010
    • level: 4
    I last posted on this thread 10 days ago when I joined with the speculation that River is Amy. After The Big Bang I amended my theory.

I was delighted to see a happy wedding and the married couple join the Doctor. Assuming Rory doesn't have plastic bits 'n' pieces, I'm now going for Amy getting pregnant in Series 6 and giving birth to River (a little stream, maybe). Maybe the baby will have to be lost/kidnapped or something in the 51st century, never knowing her parents. Maybe she will kill her father, Rory.

Possible?

Hand_of_Omega

[125]Jul 2, 2010

kompongwho wrote:
    I last posted on this thread 10 days ago when I joined with the speculation that River is Amy. After The Big Bang I amended my theory. I was delighted to see a happy wedding and the married couple join the Doctor. Assuming Rory doesn't have plastic bits 'n' pieces, I'm now going for Amy getting pregnant in Series 6 and giving birth to River (a little stream, maybe). Maybe the baby will have to be lost/kidnapped or something in the 51st century, never knowing her parents. Maybe she will kill her father, Rory. Possible?

Possible yes? Likely? Who knows, well actually he doesn't but... On the latest Confidential Steven Moffatt said that next season we would find out who River is, and what the silence was about. I think I may go mad before then

rtw85

[126]Jul 2, 2010

i still believe she is the other or a rogue disciple of light maybe

Edited on 07/02/2010 5:13pm

Jallybeanz

[127]Jul 17, 2010

Hope you don't mind if I throw my theory in.

Something I've noticed about River is that she's sort of 'made-up' of thing from other companions.

She wears a watch exactly like Amy's, in the Library she says that she and the Doctor have been to the end of the universe which reminds me of Martha and perhaps Jack (she certainly flirts like him) and apparently she's dated a Nestene duplicate with a 'swappable head' which reminds me of the ninth doctor pulling off Mickey's nestene duplicate head in front of Rose.

Perhaps one of the Doctor's enemies, let's say the Daleks cause they know who she is, decided to make the perfect weapon to stop the Doctor by taking bits from all/some of the companions but it back fired and made River Song.

Or not.

bluecatcinema

[128]Jul 17, 2010
    • level: 61
    Jallybeanz wrote:

Hope you don't mind if I throw my theory in.

Something I've noticed about River is that she's sort of 'made-up' of thing from other companions.

She wears a watch exactly like Amy's, in the Library she says that she and the Doctor have been to the end of the universe which reminds me of Martha and perhaps Jack (she certainly flirts like him) and apparently she's dated a Nestene duplicate with a 'swappable head' which reminds me of the ninth doctor pulling off Mickey's nestene duplicate head in front of Rose.

Perhaps one of the Doctor's enemies, let's say the Daleks cause they know who she is, decided to make the perfect weapon to stop the Doctor by taking bits from all/some of the companions but it back fired and made River Song.

Or not.

That might explain why the Stone Dalek was so afraid of her. There's nothing worse for the Daleks then having one of their own weapons turn against them.

Me, I'm thinking River might be some being powerful enough not to be effected by the Doctor's erasure from history. How else would she have been able to help Amy remember him?

aloyoon

[129]Sep 1, 2010
    • level: 7
    ok i see alot of theory but for some reason i feel none of them is the right one and they all have one thing the element of creepy

she is the TARDIS that will be creepy ,she is Amy's daughter creepy ,she is The Doctor still creepy ,she is jenny more creepy

she may be a time lord from his past that me be acceptable idea i didn't watch the classic doctor who but i think he lost his wife and children in the time war maybe his wife didn't die or some one from his past still alive

jwgrlrrajn

[130]Sep 1, 2010
    • level: 23
    My personal theories...

River Song is (or is somehow related to) the Bad Wolf phenomenon. (not Rose, just Bad Wolf)

Alternately...

River Song is a fez in disguise.

starfire2_2

[131]Sep 2, 2010
    • level: 12

aloyoon wrote:
    ok i see alot of theory but for some reason i feel none of them is the right one and they all have one thing the element of creepy she is the TARDIS that will be creepy ,she is Amy's daughter creepy ,she is The Doctor still creepy ,she is jenny more creepy she may be a time lord from his past that me be acceptable idea i didn't watch the classic doctor who but i think he lost his wife and children in the time war maybe his wife didn't die or some one from his past still alive

Two things. One: I think River is Jenny. Yes It's a litty creepy but it's still who I think she is.

In your creppy list you didn't say if you think her being Rose was creppy or not.

Princess_Pinky

[132]Sep 2, 2010
    • level: 11

starfire2_2 wrote:
    I think River is Jenny. Yes It's a litty creepy but it's still who I think she is.

If River's Jenny, then why didn't River know who Donna was in "Silence in the Library"? Why was she absolutely shocked to be meeting Donna?

starfire2_2

[133]Sep 3, 2010
    • level: 12

She could been acting or after so menny years she forgot who Danna was.

TOCM19

[134]Sep 4, 2010
    starfire2_2 wrote:

She did know who Donna was, she knew exactly what was going to happen to her and knew the Doctor was going to be sad for it. However she didn't know what she looked like. So I don't buy the idea that she'd forgotten.

Princess_Pinky

[135]Sep 4, 2010
    • level: 11

starfire2_2 wrote:

She forgot the woman who named her? That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Donna was acting more like a motherly and parental figure to her before The Doctor finally started accepting her and I highly doubt that Jenny would've just "forgotten" her after so long. Her first day in the world - her first memories - is a pretty big thing and you don't just forget things like that.

TOCM19 wrote:
    She did know who Donna was, she knew exactly what was going to happen to her and knew the Doctor was going to be sad for it. However she didn't know what she looked like. So I don't buy the idea that she'd forgotten.

Exactly.

fallenangelangi

[136]Sep 6, 2010
    I don't think it can be anyone that we have already seen cause in Silence River says something about him looking younger than she has ever seen him before, something about his eyes (not got the exact quote as I've not seen the ep for a while now)

I think River will turn out to be his wife but I hope it's a bit more interesting and complicated than that

Cranky_Old_Batt

[137]Sep 6, 2010
    • level: 6

In the old Doctor Who cannon the Doctor was half human.

On this mother's side.

TOCM19

[138]Sep 6, 2010
    Cranky_Old_Batt wrote:

In the old Doctor Who cannon the Doctor was half human.

On this mother's side.

That was in a single film, and the very idea has been completely discounted.

thetruesora

[139]Sep 6, 2010
    • level: 22

well not exactly it's only in "the doctor who movie with the 8th doctor" canon that he's half human.

edit: TOCM just beat me to it.

Edited on 09/06/2010 1:31pm

BlitzEileen

[140]Oct 1, 2010
    • level: 5
    Gorram you Stephen Moffet! Why did you have to make such an interesting and mysterious character!? Thinking on who River Song has crept into my everyday life now and I can't even deny how geeky that is. I know it's just a TV show, but River Song has to be one of the best/mysterious characters I've ever come across and I can't help but want to know more about her.

As for the 'River is a combination of all companions' theory...I kinda love it. I'd be happy for this to be true.

But there are some issues, like Donna and River in the Library, but they could be explained by River not actually knowing what the companions she's been made up of look like.

There's probably more issues, but I'll let other people out them. I want to stay in my happy-theory-bubble for a little while longer.