Doctor Who Forums

Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC AmericaBetween Seasons

Billie Piper Back in Doctor Who

cultfan

[1]Sep 30, 2007
    • level: 2
    I am not sure if this has already been said but in today's News of the World it said that Bilile Piper is close to signing a contract to come back as Rose Tyler for a 3 part special next Summer. She is getting £20,000 pounds for a months filming.
    I am not sure if the News of the World is reliable, also I am not sure if I believe it yet/

I took a picture of the article with my webcam, so it's not in the best condition. I'll try and do a proper scan later. It's very blurry but the heading and subtitle you can see. Ok I am going to type up what it says in the article.

Billie Piper is close to singing a deal to return to Doctor Who as the sexy sci-fi sidekick Rose Tyler. Confident BBC Executives belive seh will soon put pen to paper for a sutnning comeback in the next year's series finale. It is expected taht Billie wil lpick up a £20,000 fee for a month's filming,

Show creator RTD and leading man David Tennant -both close friends- are persuading the pretty 25-year old to commit to a three part appeareance next summer.
    Billie, currently wowing viweres in the raunchy, drama SDOACG has already discussed scripts and plotlines in a series of secret meetings. Her come back would be a stunning coup for the hit BBC1 show, which she helped to re-launch in 2005. Billie was an instant hit as tearaway Rose Tyler and bagged teh Most Popular actress gong at the NTA 2005 and 2006. Insiders claim the plotline will centre on Rose's quest to track down the Doctor in a desperate bid to save the Earth-which has been affected by the Time Lord's actions. Viewers last saw tomboy Tyler share a kiss with the hero in the 2006 summer finale (excuse me when did that happen, although it would be great if it did) before he left her on a parallel Earth after defeating the Daleks. a BBC insider said "We are all very excited that Billie is on coures to come back. We're very close to getting her to sign.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

mattpitt1991

[2]Sep 30, 2007
    • level: 32
    Yep, I read this too (not that I'm a big fan of NotW - it's my dad's paper).

Anyway, it seems they're going on the possibility that she may appear in the Series Four finale, however, I'm doubtful, seeing as Martha and Donna will be with The Doctor at that point, so having a third companion will be a bit crowded. Having said that, I'd love to see the three of them together!

It would make a lot more sense for her to appear in one (or more) of the 2009 specials, don't you think?

Jami393

[3]Sep 30, 2007
    • level: 8
    Can't believe that Billie might come back

andrewreeve

[4]Sep 30, 2007
    • level: 10

Oh no, this will only fuel the fire for those obsessed fans who can't get over it. If you do this RTD you will make life on Doctor Who forums iserabel for the rest of eternity. "Well they brought Rose back 'cause we loved her, they'll definitely bring back (insert future companion name here)". This serves only to increase the volume of posts by people whining about her departure. Oh boy...

After all that's said and done I would enjoy to see her back, it's just a shame about what it will result in.

steamheaduk

[5]Sep 30, 2007
    • level: 19
    You just beat me to it I was quite happy with the 30 year return period set by Sarah, if she's really that good, she's worth the wait

belial_77

[6]Sep 30, 2007
    • level: 17
    I agree w/ both of you.. however, if it's a story of Rose's adventures in Pete's World, I'd be way interested... I want to see more of that universe... Like what happened to their Time Lords? did they even have a Time War? also, for that matter, I wonder about the "real" world's Lumis and Cybrus Industries... I think it would have been better if Dr Lazarus in series 3, was Lumis in this world... I mean, Mad Scientist obsessed with immortality.... I'm just surprised the writers didn't link the two...

andrewreeve

[7]Sep 30, 2007

steamheaduk wrote:
    You just beat me to it I was quite happy with the 30 year return period set by Sarah, if she's really that good, she's worth the wait

Hehe, quite right. The Piper-attachment might die down in 30 years.

rickyn2

[8]Sep 30, 2007
    • level: 22
    belial_77 wrote:
    I agree w/ both of you.. however, if it's a story of Rose's adventures in Pete's World, I'd be way interested... I want to see more of that universe... Like what happened to their Time Lords? did they even have a Time War? also, for that matter, I wonder about the "real" world's Lumis and Cybrus Industries... I think it would have been better if Dr Lazarus in series 3, was Lumis in this world... I mean, Mad Scientist obsessed with immortality.... I'm just surprised the writers didn't link the two...
    Wow - that would have been great! Hey maybe he was, just with a diferent name and body! Perhaps not.

insomniac360

[9]Sep 30, 2007
    • level: 21
    belial_77 wrote:

I heard there were gonna make a spin-off called Rose Tyler: Earth Defense, I think it had something to do with her joining paralle Torchwood. But it got scrapped since RTD just thought that with Torchwood and SJA, Doctor Who had too many spin-offs already.

belial_77

[10]Sep 30, 2007
    Yup... its already green-lit and in pre-production... then RTD flipped out and said it was a quote "Sipn-Off Too Far" (whatever that means)... so I'm thinking since Tennent and RTD need a break during 09 before series 5 in '10, one (all?) of the 3 2 hr specials are going to be Rose-centric.

nhubi

[11]Sep 30, 2007
    • level: 48
    57 Rose fanatics just punched the air.

Sorry, I adored Rose but really this is nuts. The only way this could work is if as a result of her interaction with the heart of the TARDIS she gained some hoopy temporal/dimensional abilities and she finds a way of contacting The Doctor, because he won't try to get to her. He wouldn't risk tearing universes apart. Still it's ridiculous, she's had her time.

hollacious

[12]Oct 1, 2007
    • level: 18
    Are they serious? This is totally going to ruin her exit! It was so sad and final and then wooops... sorry I'M BACK! I hated to see her go but Nhubi is right she's had her time...

Still I must say if the rumours are true I can't wait to see how they 'bring her back'

belial_77

[13]Oct 1, 2007
    I don't want her "back"... but a story following her in Pete's World would be awesome... When she runs into a strange man trying to prevent some alien invasion or another... OH! a dalek invasion, led by Devros (played by Patrick Steward)... the strange man starts talking about a Time War where he thought he killed them all... lots of excitement and adventure... but at the end, you find out he's the Master who is the good guy in mirror world (oops, I meant Bizzaro world... Pete's world?), not the Doctor...

rickyn2

[14]Oct 1, 2007
    • level: 22
    hollacious wrote:
    Are they serious? This is totally going to ruin her exit! It was so sad and final and then wooops... sorry I'M BACK! I hated to see her go but Nhubi is right she's had her time... Still I must say if the rumours are true I can't wait to see how they 'bring her back'
    I worshipped Rose, but I do hope she doesn't come back. If she does I hope they do it well, and she doesn't come back in the shower! hey, that's an allusion!

nhubi

[15]Oct 1, 2007
    • level: 48
    The thing is if they do do a Pete's World story then it's not really Doctor Who is it? It's Rose and the inhabitants of her Universe which may or may not include a Time Lord called The Doctor but he wouldn't know her or have the relationship with her that made so many of us invest in her as we did. For it to be Doctor Who it needs to have 'our' Doctor, otherwise it really is the spin off that RTD canned.

Don't get me wrong I'd like to know how she got on over there, but I can't see it working within the framework of Doctor Who without some form of crossover and I can't see that working without it being a cop out/dream sequence/alien-induced psychosis or the like, which won't make sense to me.

alex20020712

[16]Oct 1, 2007
    • level: 7
    hollacious wrote:
    Are they serious? This is totally going to ruin her exit!

Exactly. How reliable is this source, anyway? Is it worth all this attention, or is this just another rumor?

ContinuumVortex

[17]Oct 1, 2007
    • level: 15

ooh man this so spoils the ending on series2 and is a BIG cop out from RTD i mean shes gone and the doctor said theres no way back so there should really be no way back its just likegoing back on your word, it doesnt make sense for them to want to do this.

On the other hand unlike the rest of you i wouldnt mind an alternate story with a completely different doctor thats never met rose before and her trying to find him and saying i know you from an alternate universe kind of thing i'd actually enjoy that, especially if that univerese doctor isnt as courageous or something to that effect and rose makes him into a hero, i quite like that idea.

hollacious

[18]Oct 2, 2007
    • level: 18
    That sounds cool. They would really have to pull something big out of their sleeves to sucessfully pulling this off without completely ruining it!

GothicScouser

[19]Oct 2, 2007
    The News of the World wasnt the only source for this - msn also gave this rumour, giving information from a BCC source or something. It could be likely since she was a good character but at the same time just as unlikely

skye2477

[20]Oct 2, 2007
    • level: 12

i'll admit i also kinda thought that Jack's Torchwood would find a way to bring her back...

but i can't lie... I'd LOVE to have Rose back... though i think at this point i'd ahve to feel some real sympathy for Martha and maybe even Donna... Rose has been this huge cloud over them... But again... i would jump for joy and i'd love to see how they plan on doing it... if it comes to pass