Doctor Who Forums

Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC AmericaIn Season

Classic series enemies you'd like to see return (classic series spoilers)

Akumashogun

[1]Jul 26, 2009
    • level: 3

Obliviously, I mean aside from one that already have.

First and foremost:

Omega: a renegade time lord that the 3rd and 5th Doctor faced. Lost into a sort of alternate universe composed of anti-matter and had his bodycorroded until all that remained was his will (also always portrayed as a massive scenery-chewing ham, but that's not really a negative). A sort of tragic figure in that what he really wants is to just return to his universe of origin. Granted, it would be tricky to think of some new storyline for him that the old series didn't already cover.

The Ruton Host: the sworn enemy of the Sontarans. Only made one appearence in the original series. It would be cool to if one time the TARDIS accidentially plunked down right in the middle of a Sontarn/Ruton battlefield.

The Sea Devils: cause they're awesome that's why (though I'd be fine without the Silurians or the Myrka).

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

doctorWHO69

[2]Jul 26, 2009
    • level: 13

I think,in my opinion,that we are about to see the return...or to be more precise,the origin of a classic enemy in the next special. THE ICE WARRIORS

We know they were from mars,and the next special is called 'the waters of mars'.My theory is that originally they are these water based aliens we have seen in the trailer,and that the Doctor will in some way,end up permanently freezing them.It'l be another 'wibbly wobbly,timey wimey' situation,similar to the 'fires of pompeii' epsisode.So,the Doctor has in his chronological past faced the ice warriors,but,it isnt until his current incarnation when they are actually 'created' therefore bringing an old enemy back,but also making it a new one from the newer veiwers point of view.

This is just a theory at the min,but im willing to bet that it will occur

dragon22a

[3]Jul 27, 2009
    • level: 32
    The black Guardian and rassilon

steamheaduk

[4]Jul 28, 2009
    • level: 19
    Yeah I'd love to see Sea Devils done properly again (not the Wonky Headed Samaurai Warrior versions) to untarnish their memory, and Ice Warriors, Mars is too good an opportunity to pass up so I do hope so. Though I would have expected in this era of hyped up global warming that, given the Ice Warriors later tendancy of galactic diplomats, that an Earthbound story could have been build around them helping Earth combat global warming, but put us into another Ice Age for their own means. I was really surprised that was never capitalised on, especially given the Ice Warriors are really the last of the Classic multi recurring Monsters not to be given a shot in the new series.

It would be nice to see some returning "nice" (not nasty) cameos too, Thals for example, not necessarily as a major plot point, or perhaps establish that the Shadow Proclamation is actually on Peladon. Just little bits here and there, because I'd prefer the series to create it's own new iconic monsters, which so far they've not really pulled off. The only real returnees have been the Slitheen and the Graske, neither of which I'm particularly fond of.

The Weeping Angels were fantastic, but by their nature probably not a good returnee, a great one off. We saw possibilities in Silence in the Library and Midnight for returnees, but as yet no real iconic NuHu nasty.

Bear in mind the old series created Daleks in 1963, Cybermen in 1966, Ice Warriors in 1967, The Master in 1971 and the Sontarans in 1973 so the big 5 iconic nasties in the space of the first 10 years. You'd think we'd have at least one NuHu iconic threat in the first 4 years.

archangelwho

[5]Jul 28, 2009
    • level: 18
    They did such a poor job with the Master that I would like to see some of the other Time Lords: Omega, The Time Meddler, Rani or a new one.

archangelwho

[6]Jun 8, 2011

After listerning to the CD of the Celestial Toy Maker I would like to see his return. The Doctor talked about the past & futire between him and the Toy Maker. The way the story ended they could use a new actor to play the role and I would really like to see Amy & Rory play the Toy Maker's games as a team.

steamheaduk

[7]Jun 9, 2011
    Its a real shame that The Nightmare Fair was scrapped in favour of Trial Of A Timelord, as that apparently DID have Michael Gough lined up to revive the character.

bluecatcinema

[8]Jun 9, 2011
    • level: 61
    I'd like to see how the Sea Devils and the Ice Warriors would look in these days of modern prosthetics.

archangelwho

[9]Jun 9, 2011

steamheaduk wrote:
    Its a real shame that The Nightmare Fair was scrapped in favour of Trial Of A Timelord, as that apparently DID have Michael Gough lined up to revive the character.

Sad in too many ways to even cover on one posting. Another "what if" during the JNT years.

archangelwho

[10]May 30, 2012

Sil from "Vengeance on Varos".

archangelwho

[11]Apr 2, 2013

Though he had seem to change his ways in Shada he was at one time an enemy of the Timelords. I would like to see the Doctor revist Professor Chronotis again. Unsure how they would deal with his number of regenerations.Did he get one more or a whole new set? But I think it could be a fun story to do.

steamheaduk

[12]Apr 3, 2013

archangelwho wrote:

steamheaduk wrote:

Sad in too many ways to even cover on one posting. Another "what if" during the JNT years.

I just don't get why they entirely scrapped what was shaping up to be a cracking season and gave us Trial of a Timelord instead. If the idea was to "cock a snoot" at Grade and say "we'll put him on trial instead" they could have still used the umbrella trial idea around the stories they had already gone a long way towards developing.