Doctor Who Forums

Saturday 8:00 PM on BBC AmericaIn Season

Coleman: Guest to Companion; what's your best guess? (spoilers possible)

angeleys151

[1]Sep 2, 2012
    • level: 6

I thought it might be fun to brainstorm on how they will explain the similarities between Oswin and Clara when she comes back later this season. My guess is that Oswin will be Clara's daughter. Oswin was making a voice recording and souffle for her mother. I would like to think that nothing that's been put in the show was a throw away, that it all means something. This would also provide drama later on when The Doctor has to decide if he will tell Clara about the fate of her daughter or let events stand. There could also be anticipation for the audience if he doesn't recognize her right away, she as after all in Dalek armor

P.S. could someone clarify something for me? When I first heard that she was coming on the show I had heard that she had been on the show as Clara before. I can't remember a guest character by that name and I've scoured the internet looking for it. Then I read her first appearance was tonight. Was the source I originally heard it from wrong (I can't remember where I first heard it but it was defn online)?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

dragon22a

[2]Sep 3, 2012
    • level: 32

There are a number of different optionsI suppose. As you stated, the new companion could be related to Oswin in someway. Maybe not a daughter though, perhaps a sister or cousin like they did with Martha Jones.

Another option is that the two are one in the same and Oswin will become the companion and travel with the Doctor at an earlier point in her timeline. I wouldn't be a fan of this option. Besides being similar to River, it would really put a limitation of the direction of the character. The doctor would always know of her fate and would eventually have to deliver her to it, much like he is with River and her destiny in the Library. We would always know the ending for the character.

One that I was thinking would involve the use of the flesh. If Oswins mind was somehow saved, it may be possible to create a new body for her and allow her to be the new companion without having it take place earlier in her timeline. That one seems a bit out of the box though but it would solve a bit of problems. I could also see it being used to save River from the Library mainframe and allow her to have adventures with the Doctor in a proper sequence.

PsyduckRanger

[3]Sep 6, 2012
    • level: 20
    dragon22a, it seems you don't realise that details for the new companion have been released. Her name will be Clara, and unless Moffat's trying to pull another annoying bluff, they will definitely be two completely different people.

***SPOILER***
    As far as the Doctor recognising her goes, he wouldn't. He never saw Oswin. There was nothing to see, I don't think they just took her body and crammed it in the armour. It was her mind they took, her body, for the most part, would be irrelevant. What we saw was her memory of herself in her fantasy world. There wasn't actually a body for the Doctor to see.

I'm sure it's not just going to be something like they're relatives or anything like that, it's going to be significant...I don't know how though...

dragon22a

[4]Sep 8, 2012

I know about Clara but the names could have easily changed since it was announced. But if it is Clara who is the new companion, thats why I think the idea of the two being related in some manner is the most likely course of action, and the most preferable. Like Martha and her cousin or Gwen Cooper and her ancestorGwyneth from the Unquiet Undead.

In fact, some websites have stated that Clara's last name is slated to be Oswin.So if that isstill the case, Oswin was likely named afterher ancestorssurname. That wouldkind of put a damper onthings though, the Doctor knowing the fate of Clara's descendant.

Edited on 09/08/2012 6:55pm

steamheaduk

[5]Sep 10, 2012
    • level: 19

dragon22a wrote:
    In fact, some websites have stated that Clara's last name is slated to be Oswin.So if that isstill the case, Oswin was likely named afterher ancestorssurname. That wouldkind of put a damper onthings though, the Doctor knowing the fate of Clara's descendant.

Thought those statements started appearing just after the first advance screening, so it could be just supposition on their part.

Lccf

[6]Sep 27, 2012
    • level: 13

I'm just hoping they somehow make her a present-day Earth human, or at least, have her travel to present time ( Daleks DO have time-travel tech, after all, and she hacked it ).I think we need to have a point-of-view, relatable character, which is harder with an alien or a future-born character.

Quick question : I've only known Doctor Who since the 2005 relaunch, so Rose, Martha, Donna and the Ponds followed the same pattern,but I suppose the Doctor already had Companions that weren't from Earth or present time : for those who did see such episodes, do you think it worked as well as when the Companion is, to summarize a bit, like us ?

dragon22a

[7]Sep 27, 2012

Lccf wrote:

I'm just hoping they somehow make her a present-day Earth human, or at least, have her travel to present time ( Daleks DO have time-travel tech, after all, and she hacked it ).I think we need to have a point-of-view, relatable character, which is harder with an alien or a future-born character.

Quick question : I've only known Doctor Who since the 2005 relaunch, so Rose, Martha, Donna and the Ponds followed the same pattern,but I suppose the Doctor already had Companions that weren't from Earth or present time : for those who did see such episodes, do you think it worked as well as when the Companion is, to summarize a bit, like us ?

A companion from present day earth is, like you said, an outlet for us into the Doctors world. They react like we might if we saw these things for the first time and would be inamazement of the technology that the Doctor encounters. But when the Doctors companions are from other worlds or times it takes on a different aesthetic. If they are from the past, they look at all technology with amazement or fear, even common things. If they are from the future, they look at some technology like it is nothing.

For instance, you had Romana. Romana was a timelordlike the Doctor so what she saw with him was not as amazing to her as it would be to humans. She was also, at times, displayed to be smarter than the Doctor (she actually graduated the academy higher than him). When it was just them, they often came off as equals. It seemed to work well though mostly because the fourth doctor was so eccentric while she was more straight laced.

There was Adric who was from Negative space, sort of like the place we saw in the doctors wife. He was human but far more advanced than present day. The Doctor saw him as a sort of apprentice at times and even took to teaching him how to work on and pilot the Tardis, somethng that he seems to have done with Rory to some extent. He was also one of the first companions to die which hurt the Doctor, then in his 5th life, greatly.

Then there was Leela, a primitive from another planet who was not unlike the primitives from the stone age of earth. She looked at everything with wonder but was also quick to violence.

For a more current example you can look at Jack, a man from another planet in a different time. Sure, he loved traveling with the Doctor, but time and space travel and high tech weapons were nothing really amazing to him, not like it was to Rose or Martha.

Lccf

[8]Sep 28, 2012
    • level: 13

Thank you for the detailed answer !

And yes, of course, Captain Jack is awesome ( I've recently watched Torchwood : Children of Earth ... mind-blowing !!! ), and he works well as a recurring companion, but I don't know if he could be a full-time one ( although, as a girl, I wouldn't complain if we had more John Barrowman on TV !!! ).Anyway, if I recall correctly, he's a future alien but was stranded on Victorian Earth and has lived on our planet ever since, so he's kind of an Earth citizen by now. It's that kind of scenario I'm hoping for Oswin/Clara : she uses Dalek tech to go back in time, on present-day Earth ( for whatever reason ), and when the Doctor meets her ( again ) she has become accostumed to living on Earth, so she's not that different from us. ( But she's baking soufflés, so she's already relatable ... )

But you make a good point for Companions with a different perspective ... I should probably check some of the "old" Who on the web ...

steamheaduk

[9]Sep 29, 2012
    • level: 19

If Oswin and Clara are the same person, then I'd suspect we have a new Zoe to play off against Smith's "Troughton" aspects.

dragon22a

[10]Oct 2, 2012

Lccf wrote:

Thank you for the detailed answer !

And yes, of course, Captain Jack is awesome ( I've recently watched Torchwood : Children of Earth ... mind-blowing !!! ), and he works well as a recurring companion, but I don't know if he could be a full-time one ( although, as a girl, I wouldn't complain if we had more John Barrowman on TV !!! ).Anyway, if I recall correctly, he's a future alien but was stranded on Victorian Earth and has lived on our planet ever since, so he's kind of an Earth citizen by now. It's that kind of scenario I'm hoping for Oswin/Clara : she uses Dalek tech to go back in time, on present-day Earth ( for whatever reason ), and when the Doctor meets her ( again ) she has become accostumed to living on Earth, so she's not that different from us. ( But she's baking souffl�s, so she's already relatable ... )

But you make a good point for Companions with a different perspective ... I should probably check some of the "old" Who on the web ...

You have a good point about jack not being a full time companion. Barrowman was recently interviewed for a special on BBC America about America and Americans on the show and he said that one of the biggest reasons is that he is more of the old fashioned gunslinger. The Doctor tends to be more diplomatic where as Jack, as Barrowman said in the interview, would just as soon shoot the guy between the eyes and move on. I actually think this explains why the Doctor was so put off when he discovered Jack worked for Torchwood after what he had recently seen them doat Canary Warff. It was only after Jack explained that he had changed things to make the Doctor proud.